Australia Australia - Tegan Lane, 2 days old, Sydney, 14 Sept 1996 *K. Lane guilty*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Thankyou to the member that posted the book Nice Girl, I am half the way through and am continually astounded at the depth and breadth of the continual lies. Her family and many friends it seems have stood by her. The Keli they think they know is not the real Keli imo. There has to be some very serious disorder to do and act as she did.
One other point that comes to mind is she claims to care about her babies yet it seems she partied throughout the pregnancies drinking to excess. I had children in the 90’s and it was well known not to drink.

There's aspects of Keli and Sandra Lane that I can see reflected in my own family. My mother in law is a liar too, but not in the pathological sense but her logical brain is just not connected to her mouth. Lots of BS, lots of emotion and impulse, still lies and she totally can't see it. Other aspects of the story have some similarities too but I am not going there here. The Lanes are far superior grandparents and Keli Lane is a far superior mum than my dysfunctional mother in law, let me tell you but I digress.

I think Keli was totally disconnected and in denial about what was happening to her body, hence the alcohol drinking.

Anyway, I think the ABC team at Exposed has some real information and leads that will eventually blow this case open. I still come back to that thought that Keli is not raking everyone, her friends and family through the mud again because she is guilty. There is simply too much at stake for her here.

I am calling it now, call me optimistic, call me blind and stupid but:
- "Andrew" exists;
- despite all the evasiveness and lies, at the core of Keli's story is the truth
- "Tegan" is out there
- Keli did not murder "Tegan"
- there are reasons why the police did not find "Andrew" and the answer is actually really simple

This case will go down in Australian history as one of the greatest miscarriages of justice. A mother has spent 8 years in jail for a murder she did not commit.

Keli is partly to blame for all her lies, evasiveness and incorrect information during the police interviews.

Lesson learnt: If you are called in for a police interview, get legal advice or say nothing, and if you are going to say something make sure it is the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth, or you could get done for murder.

Watch this space!

Last edited:
There's aspects of Keli and Sandra Lane that I can see reflected in my own family. My mother in law is a liar too, but not in the pathological sense but her logical brain is just not connected to her mouth. Lots of BS, lots of emotion and impulse, still lies and she totally can't see it. Other aspects of the story have some similarities too but I am not going there here. The Lanes are far superior grandparents and Keli Lane is a far superior mum than my dysfunctional mother in law, let me tell you but I digress.

I think Keli was totally disconnected and in denial about what was happening to her body, hence the alcohol drinking.

Anyway, I think the ABC team at Exposed has some real information and leads that will eventually blow this case open. I still come back to that thought that Keli is not raking everyone, her friends and family through the mud again because she is guilty. There is simply too much at stake for her here.

- "Andrew" exists;
- despite all the evasiveness and lies, at the core of Keli's story is the truth
- "Tegan" is out there
- there are reasons why the police did not find "Andrew" and the answer is actually really simple

This case will go down in Australian history as one of the greatest miscarriages of justice. A mother has spent 8 years in jail for a murder she did not commit.

Keli is partly to blame for all her lies, evasiveness and incorrect information during the police interviews.

Lesson learnt: If you are called in for a police interview, get legal advice or say nothing, and if you are going to say something make sure it is the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth, or you could get done for murder.

Watch this space!

I hope you’re right about Keli but, given my own experience of superficially charming but deceitful personalities such as hers, I think it’s unlikely she is innocent of killing Tegan.

If there has been a miscarriage of justice, I hope that is remedied. If it is, I believe it will be based on the prosecution not disclosing all of the evidence (phone intercepts) to the defence.

Not only did Keli lie, but I don’t believe that when she did have legal representation at trial that it was adequate. Actually, in my opinion, it bordered on incompetent.

I think that, in perfect world, none of us want to believe that a parent; particularly a mother, could kill her infant either by design or by accident, and cover it up but it does happen and I believe in Tegan’s case that’s exactly what occurred.

- "Andrew" exists;
- "Tegan" is out there

Watch this space!
I came across something but sat on it for a while because it was just too obvious... I thought they probably know this, it's probably already been checked out by cops and Exposed have already received a million emails about it, but then thought well what if other people have done this over the years too and someone has a tidbit they think is insignificant. So emailed the info to Caro.

I'll be vague but it's not that hard for sleuths to uncover. There is a man with a *very* similar name to Tegan's alleged father and he is married to a woman of the name in question, who are friends with adopted out baby #1's biological father. The info got me thinking not so much if these people are *the couple* as much as is this where she got the idea of names from. It's likely nothing but I thought heck of a coincidence.

I hope you’re right about Keli but, given my own experience of superficially charming but deceitful personalities such as hers, I think it’s unlikely she is innocent of killing Tegan.

If there has been a miscarriage of justice, I hope that is remedied. If it is, I believe it will be based on the prosecution not disclosing all of the evidence (phone intercepts) to the defence.

Not only did Keli lie, but I don’t believe that when she did have legal representation at trial that it was adequate. Actually, in my opinion, it bordered on incompetent.

I think that, in perfect world, none of us want to believe that a parent; particularly a mother, could kill her infant either by design or by accident, and cover it up but it does happen and I believe in Tegan’s case that’s exactly what occurred.
Re BBM, I disagree. I believe her lawyers would have given appropriate advice but Keli, being in denial about the likely consequences, refused to accept it. For example about having the perjury charges heard with the murder charge, I believe her lawyers and law-aware family would have wanted to resist that, but Keli told somebody that she wanted everything heard together to get it out of the way. I don't know why they agreed to drop Natalie as a witness, but perhaps she was a doubtful asset. Some of us have commented that we didn't believe her about "Andrew", and that is without cross-examination. It must be provoking for Keli's lawyers to be maligned all this time afterwards--for Keli to say, I didn't understand, nobody properly explained to me, etc--but since that's part of the basis of her new "case", they are doing the ethical thing, remaining loyal to their former client, by keeping silent.

Re BBM, I disagree. I believe her lawyers would have given appropriate advice but Keli, being in denial about the likely consequences, refused to accept it. For example about having the perjury charges heard with the murder charge, I believe her lawyers and law-aware family would have wanted to resist that, but Keli told somebody that she wanted everything heard together to get it out of the way. I don't know why they agreed to drop Natalie as a witness, but perhaps she was a doubtful asset. Some of us have commented that we didn't believe her about "Andrew", and that is without cross-examination. It must be provoking for Keli's lawyers to be maligned all this time afterwards--for Keli to say, I didn't understand, nobody properly explained to me, etc--but since that's part of the basis of her new "case", they are doing the ethical thing, remaining loyal to their former client, by keeping silent.

I was talking about the opportunity they had to ask for a mistrial; even Justice Whealy was surprised by that. I think there was one other occurrence he was surprised by. I can’t remember what it was though.

I wondered when the idea of an underground/black market adoption as the reason Tegan’s parents haven’t come forward would be brought up (plus the addition of registering her birth as a home birth being the reason Tegan can’t be found):

Caro Meldrum-Hanna

Another rabbit hole. Curiouser and curiouser.

:eek:
Didn't the coroner order the birth be registered during the inquest?
Someone registering after Keli's conviction. That would have resulted in some interesting dna.
???
They were discussing registration of home births in that ExposedABC post. How could the coroner order it? The coroner couldn't identify who had taken Tegan.

I can't call the case one way or another, whether Tegan was dead or alive.

But IMO until and unless Keli tells the whole truth about this case, and admits all her previous lies, she cannot demand justice for herself. Justice cannot stand on shifting soil.

BBM. I think we'd know a lot more and/or possibly not even be discussing her today had she taken the stand.

I can't call the case one way or another, whether Tegan was dead or alive.

But IMO until and unless Keli tells the whole truth about this case, and admits all her previous lies, she cannot demand justice for herself. Justice cannot stand on shifting soil.

Sometimes you’ve just got to go with your gut, VM; until you’re proved wrong.

Sometimes you’ve just got to go with your gut, VM; until you’re proved wrong.
I am trying to do exactly that with a case inside my family!

But I have to consider not to imply someone else and their families. I am aware that I never know enough to judge. So usually I ask questions.

But thanks for your encouragement, I will remember that for personal use:)

I understand where you are coming from. Just out of interest have any of these superficially charming but deceitful personalities been charged with murder?

My mother in law likely has a personality disorder. She does hurtful things, can't see it, plays the victim, twists things to suit her warped perception but she is no murderer.

Keli was the one instructing her legal representation. Counsel can only act on instructions. Solicitors can advise clients but clients still have the final call. Keli wanted this over with. She deals with things impulsively. She may have given her legal representation the wrong instructions. She really didn't understand what she was up against. I wouldn't be too quick to condemn her legal representation as incompetent.

Of course as you say these awful things happen. I don't think Dr Anne Buist would risk her reputation by saying it doesn't fit in Keli's case.

Something that caught my eye:

View attachment 152789
Source:
Two decades on, Keli Lane hopes this man could prove her innocence

Not ‘I need to know Tegan is alive, that she’s safe, healthy and loved’, but she/Andrew, etc, need to come forward for Keli’s family.

Yes it seems very self centered but I think that is because Keli does not see herself as Tegan's mother. She gave her away for someone else to raise. Keli has put herself out of the picture in terms of thinking about her care and health. That's for the parents who raised her.

I came across something but sat on it for a while because it was just too obvious... I thought they probably know this, it's probably already been checked out by cops and Exposed have already received a million emails about it, but then thought well what if other people have done this over the years too and someone has a tidbit they think is insignificant. So emailed the info to Caro.

I'll be vague but it's not that hard for sleuths to uncover. There is a man with a *very* similar name to Tegan's alleged father and he is married to a woman of the name in question, who are friends with adopted out baby #1's biological father. The info got me thinking not so much if these people are *the couple* as much as is this where she got the idea of names from. It's likely nothing but I thought heck of a coincidence.

Interesting! I am sure the Exposed Team appreciate anyone's efforts in sending through any information that may be relevant.

I am certain that the solution to this case will be a simple one and of course, there are a lot of coincidences too!

Sorry I didn't see your comment before I replied to an earlier. I agree with you. Legal counsel only ever can act on instructions from the client. Keli may not have given the appropriate instructions based on her legal advice.

I wonder if the witness swap things wasn't actually instigated by the Prosecution. That is unethical. I wonder if it was the other way around.

I think her solicitors did the right thing and remained silent too.

I was talking about the opportunity they had to ask for a mistrial; even Justice Whealy was surprised by that. I think there was one other occurrence he was surprised by. I can’t remember what it was though.

Yes there was the opportunity for the mistrial when the Prosecution raised the Olympic Park theory without evidence and the jury heard it. The other opportunity was the non-severance of the perjury charges.
Again, Counsel can only act on instructions. Keli wanted this over with. She didn't want it dragging on and remember, it was a highly unusual circumstantial case.

The Prosecution had the burden of proof. The standard of proof of beyond reasonable doubt is extremely hard to meet that with an entirely circumstantial case. No one on her side actually believed she'd be found guilty.

Last edited:
???
They were discussing registration of home births in that ExposedABC post. How could the coroner order it? The coroner couldn't identify who had taken Tegan.

The coroner ordered the birth certificate be registered with Keli as the mother and the name of the baby as Tegan Lee Lane with her birthdate and place of birth. It is irrelevant who took her to the birth registration.

???

Don't know. Just going of what I read.
I guess there was no doubt Tegan had been born - when, where and how - all known.
The mothers name, age, address, occupation all known. Tegan had been recorded on Medicare records by her mother. She was still carrying the card in her wallet.
Father - Well I guess imo, it is who ever the mother says it is. Unless dna proves otherwise.

Nice Girl: The story of Keli Lane and her missing baby Tegan

https://books.google.com.au/books?isbn=0731814975

Rachael Jane Chin - 2011 - ‎True Crime
The story of Keli Lane and her missing baby Tegan Rachael Jane Chin ... There wasn't even a birth certificate for Tegan until Abernethy ordered one for her in 2005...

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kfran
Back