Australia Australia - Theo Hayez, 18, Belgian backpacker, Byron Bay, June 2019

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Would this have been a shorter route back to the hostel? I am thinking he may have been looking to take the shortest route home - which Google will offer him, if that is what he set the map search for.

He was seen on Shirley Street and possibly outside the Caltex. His cousin who saw the Aloha/Shirley Street cctv believed it was him and said he veered right towards Dryden Street. He would’ve done that walk a few times and wonder if he already knew it and wasn’t using google maps at all. He apparently lingered outside the Aloha apartments too. Doesn’t fit what’s been said about his character or movements that he’d go off course alone via a shortcut like through the back of Coles. I reckon this is down to someone known to him and they’ve left town either unaware or freaked out and bolted.

He was seen on Shirley Street and possibly outside the Caltex. His cousin who saw the Aloha/Shirley Street cctv believed it was him and said he veered right towards Dryden Street. He would’ve done that walk a few times and wonder if he already knew it and wasn’t using google maps at all. He apparently lingered outside the Aloha apartments too. Doesn’t fit what’s been said about his character or movements that he’d go off course alone via a shortcut like through the back of Coles. I reckon this is down to someone known to him and they’ve left town either unaware or freaked out and bolted.

Perhaps there was trouble in Cheeky Monkey's? I wonder if anyone else was ejected at the same time as Theo.
So Theo took the back way behind Cheeky Monkey's, to avoid the other person.

Could be a hold-back item that the police are not saying.

Perhaps there was trouble in Cheeky Monkey's? I wonder if anyone else was ejected at the same time as Theo.
So Theo took the back way behind Cheeky Monkey's, to avoid the other person.

Could be a hold-back item that the police are not saying.
Hence me pondering what he was kicked out for, as he wouldn’t have been the only one intoxicated in a bar probably full of young backpackers. He would’ve been doing something specific that got the attention of the bouncers I tend to think. It only matters if it’s connected to or causes a latter event.

I don't think we have heard confirmation of whether or not the found jacket is Theo's.

Articles say Theo was travelling on his own. His cousin said she saw him 'a few days' before he disappeared. I am presuming that was in another place, as Theo was apparently only in Byron Bay for two days before he disappeared.

Only update I have seen is this where they said that they no longer think the jacket belonged to him, no further confirmation though.

News.com article

Police are deeply concerned for the welfare of a young backpacker who went missing from a Byron Bay bar 10 days ago.

Theo Hayez, 18, from Belgium, was last seen drinking on his own at the Cheeky Monkey restaurant and bar on Jonson Street in Byron Bay at about 11pm on Friday, May 31.

Police were alerted that Mr Hayez was missing days later, on June 6, after he failed to return to the hostel that night and never checked out of the residence.

The young man, who had been backpacking solo around Australia, was active on Whatsapp the following morning, according to reports, but his phone has been offline since then.

Since that time, police say he has made no financial transactions, and hasn’t used his phone, police said in a statement today.

His cousin Lisa told 10 Daily she’d seen Mr Hayez a few days before his disappearance. “Theo is a very positive person, always smiling and in a good mood,” she said.

She said his younger brother and parents in Belgium were aware of his disappearance and were extremely worried about the young man.

Lisa has been organising volunteers to assist the police and SES search groups in the local area since Mr Hayez’s disappearance.

According to The Daily Telegraph, an SES worker involved in the search has located an item of clothing similar to what Mr Hayez was wearing when he disappeared. Yesterday they discovered a black, hooded jacket in bushland near Clarkes Beach, an area popular for illegal camping. Police this morning told news.com.au they no longer think the jumper belongs to Mr Hayez.

64fde376f1eca4331718ba9bafabd0d1

Belgian backpacker Theo Hayez was reported missing after he failed to check out of his backpacker hostel.Source:Supplied

93be72eeacfb5212b9704584a6e747a8

Mr Hayez has not been seen since May 31.Source:Facebook

04766111eb6ec71abaac6b77794b436e

Police have urged anyone with information to come forward.Source:Facebook

“We believe that someone must have seen Theo after he left the licensed premises,” said Matthew Kehoe, Chief Inspector from the Tweed/Byron Police District in charge of leading the search.

“I am appealing for anyone that has information or dashcam footage from Jonson or Tennyson streets around 11pm on Friday 31 May 2019, to come forward,” he said.

“We have a large amount of resources searching again today in bushland that is towards the east and northeast of the town.

“Although Theo has only been in Australia for a short time we are advised that this disappearance is completely out of character for him.

“Any information or sightings of Theo would greatly assist investigators.”

Mr Hayez is described as being of caucasian appearance, approximately 180cm to 190cm tall, with a thin build and blond hair.

He was last seen wearing a black, hooded jumper, beige pants and black shoes.

Police and family are pleading for assistance to find Mr Hayez, and anyone with information is urged to contact police.

The red dot is Childe Street, on the way to the hostel.

The lighthouse is quite a distance away (for a walking person) to the right of the map.

2hxregw.jpg

What changed Theo's mind about returning to the hostel when he was so close to it??

I reacon that is the Million dollar question and something to do with who, and the Whats App for answers :(

I don't think there is a link to that particular CCTV.

But there certainly is reference to it in at least several articles.

I have noticed that the Caltex at Byron Bay is about 15 minutes walk from the hostel where Theo was staying. (Perhaps the Caltex CCTV recorded Theo.) For some reason, police are not releasing that video.

Theo Hayez, 18, went missing on May 31 and was last seen on CCTV about 15 minutes' walk from his hostel in Byron Bay, a popular holiday destination in New South Wales.
He was last heard from when he messaged a friend in Belgium just after midnight on Friday, May 31. He was last seen on CCTV about 15 minutes' walk from his Byron hostel, close to midnight.
Young backpacker Theo Hayez missing in Australia and 'in grave danger'

You sure, looks kinda different to the released CCTV. And a 1 hour round trip to get drinks to go back to your hostel, before again going out?
You’re right, it’s the Great Northern bottle shop on Byron Street (behind the pub).

Attachments

• 22238251-B66C-4DA7-BE09-E8BEF4F615F8.jpeg
    22238251-B66C-4DA7-BE09-E8BEF4F615F8.jpeg
    100.2 KB · Views: 29
What are we being privy to? What he looks like, what his phone looks like, searches of specific areas starting near his hostel and now focussed on the cape, a timeline.... What’s not being shown and what’s to be deducted?

I think that the last CCTV of Theo is not being shown - where he is 15 minutes away from the hostel. Why is this video not being shown?

Is it not relevant as we already have CCTV of Theo?

Or is it like Jill Meagher's case, where they held back video of Jill being followed until right before Bayley's arrest?

I wonder if the police dog was taken to the spots where he was shown in footage when walking home? Unfortunately due to the time lapsed since he was at that location the area he was in would now be contaminated due to foot traffic but still, surely they would have walked the dog from Cheeky Monkeys and along the confirmed area he was seen on CCTV? It is a long stretch even though likely be no trace of any scent due to the time lapsed and contamination of the scene but without naming another huge missing persons case in the North of NSW right now, sniffer dogs were brought in to the locations 4 years after the person went missing in an attempt to pick up a scent and any further evidence. I would think regardless they would have at least tried it once as an elimination even though time and odds against them.

I would be surprised if they walked a 4km round trip to get some alcohol potentially not getting back to the hostel until 8pm only to then go back into town later - another 2.5kms to the pub. Unless they were using Uber’s / taxis which could be likely.

Although ruled out, the footage at the bottle shop still makes me feel uncomfortable. Two mates wouldn’t be standing away from each other like that, it looked forced almost or as if the other male was following him. To me it’s also strange that same male is now having a go at the hostel for not raising the alarm earlier but wouldn’t you have checked in with your mate the next day if you’d been out together and he left early? I certainly would be.

Last edited:
I would be surprised if they walked a 4km round trip to get some alcohol potentially not getting back to the hostel until 8pm only to then go back into town later - another 2.5kms to the pub. Unless they were using Uber’s / taxis which could be likely.

Although ruled out, the footage at the bottle shop still makes me feel uncomfortable. Two mates wouldn’t be standing away from each other like that, it looked forced almost or as if the other male was following him. To me it’s also strange that same male is now having a go at the hostel for not raising the alarm earlier but wouldn’t you have checked in with your mate the next day if you’d be out together and he left early? I certainly would be.

As well as not leaving Cheeky Monkey's at the same time as Theo, when they went out together and had spent the evening together ........

That pic doesn't sit well with me either. A very casual 'friendship', with Theo maybe doing all the buying?
I wonder how much money Theo had left for the rest of his visit.

I would also love to know what the message said at 12.20am (I’m assuming this is the one sent back home, correct me if I’m wrong).

He was spotted on CCTV 11.11pm near the Caltex, then again Aloha (unconfirmed but confirmed by family) 11.17pm which is 600m away. So going by his walking speed he in theory should have been back at the hostel 11mins later putting it around 11.30pm (media saying 15mins but I also would walk 1.1km in 11 mins, considering how cold it was i’m Sure he would have walked at speed to stay warm)

So what was he doing in those 50mins? It would take 50mins to walk to the lighthouse but the direct route would be along Lawson street and he would appear on CCTV for sure. It’s a decent walk up that hill, even if intoxicated it’s not something you’d do lightly.

I can’t see him having walked from cheeky monkeys - aloha - lighthouse at that time of night. He seems a switched on kid, it’s too far and from memory the road up isn’t well lit.

My hinky metre is giving off Jill Meagher vibes, especially with this much police involvement.

JMO

Hmmm, so we know he made it nearly or all the way back to Wake up but it doesn't appear he entered as his stuff was left untouched. He also left CMs on his own, without his 'friend' and police wont release dets of what went down inside CMs or why he was ejected. Why wouldn't he want to enter Wake Up or maybe delay entering, afraid of a confrontation with person or persons. Old Bay Jetty Park is literally across from Wake Up, you can practically see the beach, he would no doubt be familiar with it. Maybe he wanted some chill out time hence the delay before the last call at 12.20. After that, anyone's guess but his phone pinged way over back at the light house. So either he went there with person or persons (presumably not walking this time) or just his phone went. JMO

I would also love to know what the message said at 12.20am (I’m assuming this is the one sent back home, correct me if I’m wrong).

He was spotted on CCTV 11.11pm near the Caltex, then again Aloha (unconfirmed but confirmed by family) 11.17pm which is 600m away. So going by his walking speed he in theory should have been back at the hostel 11mins later putting it around 11.30pm (media saying 15mins but I also would walk 1.1km in 11 mins, considering how cold it was i’m Sure he would have walked at speed to stay warm)

So what was he doing in those 50mins? It would take 50mins to walk to the lighthouse but the direct route would be along Lawson street and he would appear on CCTV for sure. It’s a decent walk up that hill, even if intoxicated it’s not something you’d do lightly.

I can’t see him having walked from cheeky monkeys - aloha - lighthouse at that time of night. He seems a switched on kid, it’s too far and from memory the road up isn’t well lit.

My hinky metre is giving off Jill Meagher vibes, especially with this much police involvement.

JMO
Liked stalked by a random you mean?

There’s a hostel van/bus ride available. Maybe they did the to-ing and fro-oing that way.

The 12.20am message was a chat with a relative in Belgium with Theo talking about bands coming to Australia and that he’s lined up work when he gets home helping his Dad with a band or some music work. That’s been released.

I am thinking while the locals are busy searching around the bush and the beach, perhaps the Sydney homicide detectives can follow up on every backpacker at Wake-up or nearby hostels, on that day, and may have checked out afterwards and left town.

Looking for a phone, even though it's purple, is still a needle in a haystack job.

Whereas Theo was there at Byron for only a day. How many mates would he have their phone numbers, and WhatsApp with in the middle of the night? Of course if the message recipient(s) was not local, there is nothing to worry about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Velvetshadow