Australia Australia - Theo Hayez, 18, Belgian backpacker, Byron Bay, June 2019

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The police officer also said that the last time Theo’s phone pinged was after 1pm on the 1st June. Reporters asked him if he meant 1am and he said no, 1pm. I hadn’t heard that before and like the reporters thought his last phone ping was in the wee hours just after midnight. The officer said they think the phone was also in sleep mode for the last ping.

I think the last time that Theo used his phone was just after midnight. Known by actual phone activity.

Then if there was no further activity, and the phone was just pinging occasionally to find a tower, it would be in sleep mode.

Sounds, to me, as if the phone ran out of battery charge at around 1pm ... hence the pings stopped completely.

Sounds as though Theo's phone was pinging in a general area, before the phone died, so they cant pinpoint the phone's location with any precision.

But it does sound as if the phone was not turned off. So perhaps a mishap has happened with Theo.

Police have accessed mobile phone tower records from Byron Bay on the night Theo disappeared and said his mobile's final ping was recorded at 1.42pm on June 1.
This was more than 12 hours after the last confirmed sighting of the Belgian national at Cheeky Monkey's Restaurant & Bar in Byron Bay after 11pm on May 31.
However, there was not a specific location attached to that final ping and the phone was pinged by various different towers during its final hours, so authorities have been searching a wide area, including the lighthouse.
https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw...eads-for-whatsapp-access-20190617-p51yfn.html

From the link,

In this case, we have provided information to international law enforcement officials,’ they said. ‘While we can’t access encrypted conversations, end-to-end encrypted platforms do have some limited information about users that they collect in order to provide their service.

Whatsapp is still insisting they don't have message contents. The big question is, have they stored the recipient's identity, and other related details? That would help a great deal.

I have read that $&÷€%¥! white paper. Gee. It is mainly showing off how secure their encryption protocol is. I have to laugh at things called eg. "master_secret"...

There's no way to know whether they have anything like "breaking_master_secret" aka "backdoor".

I think the last time that Theo used his phone was just after midnight. Known by actual phone activity.

Then if there was no further activity, and the phone was just pinging occasionally to find a tower, it would be in sleep mode.

Sounds, to me, as if the phone ran out of battery charge at around 1pm ... hence the pings stopped completely.
Sounds to me, local telcos are pretty quick at assisting police!

I also suspect the phone battery went flat. About right, with that timing.

Police is searching around the last ping area again today. I have this feeling that the phone is easier to find than Theo, unfortunately.

MOO

From the link,

In this case, we have provided information to international law enforcement officials,’ they said. ‘While we can’t access encrypted conversations, end-to-end encrypted platforms do have some limited information about users that they collect in order to provide their service.

Whatsapp is still insisting they don't have message contents. The big question is, have they stored the recipient's identity, and other related details? That would help a great deal.

I have read that $&÷€%¥! white paper. Gee. It is mainly showing off how secure their encryption protocol is. I have to laugh at things called eg. "master_secret"...

There's no way to know whether they have anything like "breaking_master_secret" aka "backdoor".

Hahaha ... good on you for reading the white paper. Those things are so droll and technical, hey.

I think the issue with WhatsApp is that they dont actually store the messages on their server. The messages are moved on and moved off the server as quickly as it takes for them to be sent and received. Maximum privacy for the users.

Seems that the only info that WhatsApp can provide is .....

"WhatsApp is only able to access and disclose some information which can include a user’s name, last seen date, IP address and basic information but not the content of messages."
WhatsApp joins search for Belgian backpacker Theo Hayez, who went missing in Byron Bay

Which would mean they would know (and disclose) when the app was last used, but wont know what was in the message.
Perhaps, though, they can provide who the last message was sent to. I notice that no-one is mentioning that, in the articles. Including the police. Perhaps it is some hold-back info until they investigate further.

'My son is in grave danger': Father's plea for missing backpacker Theo Hayez, 18
skynews-theo-hayez-missing_4696266.jpg

[...]

His father, Laurent Hayez, made an emotional public appeal, pleading: "I promised Theo's little brother, Lucas, that I would bring his brother home. Please help me keep my promise to him."

Police have described the teenager's disappearance as "baffling" but are investigating whether an encrypted message sent from his Whatsapp account could provide a clue.

[...]

skynews-cctv-australia-missing_4696271.jpg

He was last captured on CCTV buying alcohol from a liquor store in Byron Bay before heading to Cheeky Monkeys nightclub.

Mr Hayez has not been seen or heard from since.

Authorities have been scouring two areas near the centre of Byron Bay, based on his last phone records, and his father flew to Australia last week to take part in the search.

Homicide detectives are now involved in the investigation.

Police superintendent Dave Roptell said WhatsApp's owner Facebook had been contacted for access to the missing teenager's account.

[...]

'My son is in grave danger': Father's plea for missing backpacker Theo Hayez, 18

I've been wondering why Theo bought alcohol before heading to Cheeky Monkey's. If he was caught with his own alcohol in the nightclub, he would likely not have been allowed to stay there as late as he did. Did he drink it on the way there? Stash it somewhere to collect it after he left?

Cheeky Monkeys nightclub encourages backpackers to visit their establishment.

"So we’re guessing you’ve heard – Cheeky Monkey’s Restaurant & Bar is an essential part of the Byron Bay Backpacker experience.
If you’re travelling though Byron Bay, Cheeky Monkey’s Restaurant & Bar is probably going to be a highlight of your time here – it’s just the way it is. Cheeky’s is a place you can let your hair down, meet some friends and GET CHEEKY!"
Cheeky Monkey's Restaurant & Bar, Byron Bay NSW

Sounds as though Theo's phone was pinging in a general area, before the phone died, so they cant pinpoint the phone's location with any precision.

But it does sound as if the phone was not turned off. So perhaps a mishap has happened with Theo.

Police have accessed mobile phone tower records from Byron Bay on the night Theo disappeared and said his mobile's final ping was recorded at 1.42pm on June 1.
This was more than 12 hours after the last confirmed sighting of the Belgian national at Cheeky Monkey's Restaurant & Bar in Byron Bay after 11pm on May 31.
However, there was not a specific location attached to that final ping and the phone was pinged by various different towers during its final hours, so authorities have been searching a wide area, including the lighthouse.
https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw...eads-for-whatsapp-access-20190617-p51yfn.html

If his phone was still pinging more than 12 hours after he last used it it means he didn't fall into water in the dark and drown. The phone would have stopped pinging immediately if he had. jmo

I've been wondering why Theo bought alcohol before heading to Cheeky Monkey's. If he was caught with his own alcohol in the nightclub, he would likely not have been allowed to stay there as late as he did. Did he drink it on the way there? Stash it somewhere to collect it after he left?

Cheeky Monkeys nightclub encourages backpackers to visit their establishment.

"So we’re guessing you’ve heard – Cheeky Monkey’s Restaurant & Bar is an essential part of the Byron Bay Backpacker experience.
If you’re travelling though Byron Bay, Cheeky Monkey’s Restaurant & Bar is probably going to be a highlight of your time here – it’s just the way it is. Cheeky’s is a place you can let your hair down, meet some friends and GET CHEEKY!"
Cheeky Monkey's Restaurant & Bar, Byron Bay NSW
The cctv from the bottle shop was quite early- around 7.30pm... Didn't he arrive at Cheeky Monkey later in the night? Not unheard of for young people to pre-load (or mainly drink before going out because it is often cheaper than solely drinking at the bar).

I also thought that the phone ping was in the AM... Might be worth checking phone coverage in the area--if the phone pinged because it was trying to connect to a tower, it might have been in a black spot.

Had a quick look at Telstra and Optus coverage maps- Optus allows you to refine using the brand of phone... Seems that Byron Bay has excellent coverage, the only black spots that show on the map are much further out of town, away from where the phone pinged. Assume that his phone pinged because a notification came through, it would indicate that he was not in a position to check it - perhaps due to injury or unconsciousness by that point (worst case because the phone was taken from him).

The phone is key, he's either near the lost phone or there is physical and digital information on it that will provide a lot of answers.

If his phone was still pinging more than 12 hours after he last used it it means he didn't fall into water in the dark and drown. The phone would have stopped pinging immediately if he had. jmo
Exactly my thoughts. It wouldn’t ping if it’s was in water. Like already said, I wonder if they’re searching the Lighthouse area focussed particularly on finding that phone. I thought the phone was said to ping in the Lighthouse vicinity? It didn’t ping closer to his hostel did it?

Had a quick look at Telstra and Optus coverage maps- Optus allows you to refine using the brand of phone... Seems that Byron Bay has excellent coverage, the only black spots that show on the map are much further out of town, away from where the phone pinged. Assume that his phone pinged because a notification came through, it would indicate that he was not in a position to check it - perhaps due to injury or unconsciousness by that point (worst case because the phone was taken from him).

The phone is key, he's either near the lost phone or there is physical and digital information on it that will provide a lot of answers.
Absolutely, and both I’d say. It’s probably in his pocket. The search team are meeting at Wategoes today and hopefully come up with something though the bush looks dense.

The cctv from the bottle shop was quite early- around 7.30pm... Didn't he arrive at Cheeky Monkey later in the night? Not unheard of for young people to pre-load (or mainly drink before going out because it is often cheaper than solely drinking at the bar).

I also thought that the phone ping was in the AM... Might be worth checking phone coverage in the area--if the phone pinged because it was trying to connect to a tower, it might have been in a black spot.

He buys alcohol with a mate on Jonson Street and they head somewhere to drink it. A house? Looks like he was after a big bottle and then his mate carried it out. Where’s this bottle shop and which way we’re they heading? He/they then go to Cheeky Monkeys and Theo’s seen leaving alone and heading up Kingsley Street whilst checking his phone. The police are only confirming the bottle shop and Cheeky Monkeys footage, and not the alleged Shirley Street footage (why?). His cousin Lisa said he was filmed on Shirley Street veering right into Dryden Street. Was it not him or too ambiguous to definitively confirm? Did he go straight from Cheeky Monkeys back to where he’d been drinking beforehand, and not actually head home after all? The police were asking for footage from Tennyson Street too and that runs off Kingsley and heads east.

Unless he was on Whatsapp, or there’s other messages not accounted for yet.

Unless he was on Whatsapp, or there’s other messages not accounted for yet.

It sounds as if the telco has been very prompt in releasing the data from Theo's phone. So I think the police will know the times of his phone activity.

WhatsApp is cooperating, and so can release the data they have ... which appears to be "a user’s name, last seen date, IP address and basic information but not the content of messages". I believe that means they will know when Theo used the app, just not what was in any of his messages. I am also thinking it will reveal what users Theo's messages were sent to and received from.
Perhaps there is something there that we have not yet heard about?

Last edited:
What I am wondering is why it took so long for Theo to be reported missing, with no communications being sent since his night out. Presumably he was not travelling with anyone who would notice his absence, not scheduled to be anywhere in particular where his absence would be thought strange.

His parents said he spent a long time meticulously planning his trip and making reservations.

Sounds as if he may have had about a week planned to be in Byron Bay.

"The 18-year-old Belgian had thought carefully about his decision to travel before commencing his university studies in science and mathematics. He'd planned his gap year well in advance, organising each moment of his time ahead, booking transport and accommodation."
https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw...theo-hayez-still-missing-20190614-p51xts.html

I guess Byron Bay is not the laid back, relaxed, friendly place that it once was ......

Drunken violence has become so common in Byron Bay the local newspaper simply reports: "More drunken violence in Byron Bay". In other words, it's no shock to the locals.
Tweed Byron Police crime manager Acting Inspector Saul Wiseman told the Gold Coast Bulletin this month the chance of being attacked in Byron Bay was the highest of any region in NSW.

"The chances of being assaulted in Byron Bay on a Friday or Saturday night are significantly greater than anywhere else in the state right now," he told the Bulletin.

There are dozens of equally beautiful places on the north coast of New South Wales that come without the problems of Byron Bay.
Towns where you can actually walk down the main street at night without fearing that you will be punched in the head.
No Cookies | The Advertiser

..... day-trippers from Queensland; family holiday-makers from Melbourne; cashed-up visitors with a nose for real estate development opportunities.
These days Byron Bay – laid-back, alternative Byron Bay – is all of those people and more. It's backpackers, flashpackers, celebrities, hippies, surfers, drinkers, bogans, weirdos and everyone in between. It's a chilled out place where locals tailgate you if you're doing anything less than the speed limit, where drunk kids yell at you from across the street.
Paradise lost: What happened to Byron Bay?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member