Australia Australia - Theo Hayez, 18, Belgian backpacker, Byron Bay, June 2019

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Did Theo have Venmo or another similar app? Just keeping the possibility open that even if he didn’t have cash, you can’t rule out a drug hookup. Lots of drug dealers accept other forms of payment.

That being said, I’m not sold on the drug deal theory although it’s certainly possible.

Me either tbh. Him meeting someone seems likely given the route he took - like his aim was the Tallows car park or beach. I’d like to know where the hat was found, in relation to height, the beach and the sea.

* cap not confirmed to be Theo’s yet I know!

Me either tbh. Him meeting someone seems likely given the route he took - like his aim was the Tallows car park or beach. I’d like to know where the hat was found, in relation to height, the beach and the sea.

* cap not confirmed to be Theo’s yet I know!
Found these quotes regarding location of cap. You’d think if it wasn’t TH’s, they would have announced that by now. On the other hand if it was, I can see them not announcing confirmation that it is indeed his hat.

The Daily Telegraph is reporting on Friday that it was a Puma branded cap discovered close to where the last "ping" from Hayez's mobile phone was recorded.

The paper reported that it was found 10 days ago in scrubland about 200m from the beach.”
https://www.google.com/amp/s/7news....-key-to-theo-hayez-disappearance-c-354645.amp

The hat was found by a member of the public in the area where the last "ping" from Mr Hayez's phone was recorded in the area around the Cape Byron Lighthouse on June 1, AAP understands.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.sm...r-missing-from-byron-bay-20190719-p528qi.html

Good points. Keep in mind though that Theo wasn’t carrying cash.

I really don’t think we can rely on someone he knew for one day saying Theo didn’t have cash though. I wouldn’t tell someone I had cash that I didn’t know, or if I only had enough on me to buy a certain something I’d just say I didn’t have any.

When he was first reported missing I remember reading in the media that he was seen loitering in front of a house for several minutes (perhaps on cctv). Surely he was waiting to meet up with someone. Also, Theo's phone pings seem to place him in the perimeter of the house on the cnr of Carlyle and Cowper St

Found these quotes regarding location of cap. You’d think if it wasn’t TH’s, they would have announced that by now. On the other hand if it was, I can see them not announcing confirmation that it is indeed his hat.

The Daily Telegraph is reporting on Friday that it was a Puma branded cap discovered close to where the last "ping" from Hayez's mobile phone was recorded.

The paper reported that it was found 10 days ago in scrubland about 200m from the beach.”
https://www.google.com/amp/s/7news....-key-to-theo-hayez-disappearance-c-354645.amp

The hat was found by a member of the public in the area where the last "ping" from Mr Hayez's phone was recorded in the area around the Cape Byron Lighthouse on June 1, AAP understands.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.sm...r-missing-from-byron-bay-20190719-p528qi.html
Thanks for that, and I agree with you about police confirmation.

One of the articles interesting says, “The paper reported that it was found 10 days ago in scrubland about 200m from the beach”.

Did Theo have Venmo or another similar app? Just keeping the possibility open that even if he didn’t have cash, you can’t rule out a drug hookup. Lots of drug dealers accept other forms of payment.

That being said, I’m not sold on the drug deal theory although it’s certainly possible.
I'm really not sold on that theory either, could be wrong but I don't think (just my opinion) one would need to sneak around and do drug deals in carparks, tennis courts, bush tracks or beaches. Again I could be wrong.

I really don’t think we can rely on someone he knew for one day saying Theo didn’t have cash though. I wouldn’t tell someone I had cash that I didn’t know, or if I only had enough on me to buy a certain something I’d just say I didn’t have any.
Don’t quote me on it but didn’t others (cheeky monkeys and some friend) say he only had his card on him? He could’ve got cash anywhere anyway and if he did buy through his phone app there’d be records of the transaction. IDK but I kinda doubt it.

I'm really not sold on that theory either, could be wrong but I don't think (just my opinion) one would need to sneak around and do drug deals in carparks, tennis courts, bush tracks or beaches. Again I could be wrong.
Unless.....someone didn't want it captured on cctv maybe?

When he was first reported missing I remember reading in the media that he was seen loitering in front of a house for several minutes (perhaps on cctv). Surely he was waiting to meet up with someone. Also, Theo's phone pings seem to place him in the perimeter of the house on the cnr of Carlyle and Cowper St
That was on Shirley Street and isn’t conclusively him. His route also places him at the end of Tennyson street where there’s a house and a cricket net. I didn’t think about him going to a house until you mentioned it. Holiday accom?

Milne track to the beach.

If you put Cheeky Monkeys to Tallow Beach into GMs, the shorter route is the one Theo took.
It also looks like he was heading to Tallows straight from CMs. He deviates off the map a few times including when he’s on the beach track. The path on GMs veers south, but he veers north on Milne track which goes to the Tallow car park and up towards Cosy Corner.

If he was alone and new to town, he wouldn’t know what he was doing. He knew to veer north though on the beach track.

In the picture Theo is the red dots and Google Maps the grey ones.

Attachments

• 55EB8586-559A-416D-BED3-DED753526AE7.jpeg
    55EB8586-559A-416D-BED3-DED753526AE7.jpeg
    177.3 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
Theo’s route compared to Google Maps quickest route.

Theo - red dots
Google Maps - grey dots

Attachments

• 1EA31614-CB8D-4022-B7CE-1436DE5522D1.jpeg
    1EA31614-CB8D-4022-B7CE-1436DE5522D1.jpeg
    181.8 KB · Views: 42
11pm Theo goes up to the end of Tennyson Street. There is a house to the left, a sporting oval on the right, and a little further ahead a youth service and a skate bowl.

He turns around, and interestingly, rather than retrace his steps back down the street, it looks like he cuts across the oval to reach the next street.

Then he’s on Cowper Street. The block on Cowper Street between Carlyle Street and Carlyle Lane is also interesting. He goes up and down that block causing the “V” shape in the red dots.

He then heads towards the Tallows beach track and at the fork veers north.

* Theo deviates off the google maps simplest route to Tallow because he’s meeting people along the way.
* He meets someone at the end of Tennyson Street and they know the shortcut through the oval.
* He picks up another person at the Cowper-Carlyle Streets block.
* They head to the Tallow car park and onto Cosy Corner.
* A cap like his was found in bush 200m from the beach there.
* His final phone ping happens around there.

Attachments

• 0A7E38F2-1278-4866-88E0-67D261F08E9B.jpeg
    0A7E38F2-1278-4866-88E0-67D261F08E9B.jpeg
    149 KB · Views: 42
11pm Theo goes up to the end of Tennyson Street. There is a house to the left, a sporting oval on the right, and a little further ahead a youth service and a skate bowl.

He turns around, and interestingly, rather than retrace his steps back down the street, it looks like he cuts across the oval to reach the next street.

Then he’s on Cowper Street. The block on Cowper Street between Carlyle Street and Carlyle Lane is also interesting. He goes up and down that block causing the “V” shape in the red dots.

He then heads towards the Tallows beach track and at the fork veers north.

* Theo deviates off the google maps simplest route to Tallow because he’s meeting people along the way.
* He meets someone at the end of Tennyson Street and they know the shortcut through the oval.
* He picks up another person at the Cowper-Carlyle Streets block.
* They head to the Tallow car park and onto Cosy Corner.
* A cap like his was found in bush 200m from the beach there.
* His final phone ping happens around there.

Correction:

He does the up & down “V” red dot map movement on the Cowper side of the oval (not the Cowper/Carlyle streets block).

He’s meeting someone at the oval. He goes to the Tennyson Street side, then cuts across the oval to the Cowper Street side. He paces up and down there before heading to the track that goes to the beach.

A sad case in the Dargo Plains Vic, a young guy died alone in the forest. He was missing for 6 days. His beautiful little jack russell 'Rocky' (who had originally gone missing with him) sat in the middle of the road until a car stopped (happened to be a police car) they followed him and lost him, then the next morning they found him again and he lead them to his Daddy who had died. He was only 23. It's just not right that this should happen to anyone so young, including Theo.

That is truely sad.

M

Maybe Théo already met this person once already before, say to buy weed, and then on second meetup after he left CM, they spent more time together. If not Théo plus one male familiar with the area, then I can only think Theo, plus male and female backpacker went to Cosy Corner and some dispute, fight or overdose happened.

Police may have similar suspicions but lack evidence. But I keep wondering if we have Theo’s movements tracked so well, can’t they do same to link other person/s. If unintentional but not reported, mobile tracing should work.

If premeditated, planned, then perpetrator would not be using a mobile, switched it off, or doesn’t own one if homeless. This person probably not in CM, but nearby.

Third option, two dealers working together, one in CM setting up deals, the other outside closing the deal, maybe one or both went for a walk with Theo
Milne track to the beach.

If you put Cheeky Monkeys to Tallow Beach into GMs, the shorter route is the one Theo took.
It also looks like he was heading to Tallows straight from CMs. He deviates off the map a few times including when he’s on the beach track. The path on GMs veers south, but he veers north on Milne track which goes to the Tallow car park and up towards Cosy Corner.

If he was alone and new to town, he wouldn’t know what he was doing. He knew to veer north though on the beach track.

In the picture Theo is the red dots and Google Maps the grey ones.
great overlay. So he definitely wasn’t using GM for the most part and was with someone who took him on most direct route to Cosy Corner

great overlay. So he definitely wasn’t using GM for the most part and was with someone who took him on most direct route to Cosy Corner

From the bar he headed straight to the oval and met them there. He/they then walked up to the Milne track off Paterson Street. It’s a decent hike to the track entry, and then the track itself looks quite secluded, long and dense with bush. At night it would be pretty intimidating, and not something I’d imagine he’d be game to do alone or if feeling in any way unsafe. You can’t get a car down the track but it leads to a car park, and from there paths to the beach and Cosy Corner.

This probably doesn’t matter or make a difference, I did it for fun but just incase haha this is when using my iPhone maps app which probably is irrelevant but anyway

Attachments

• 1CDACDC9-0FA1-4423-A0E3-67FE921D6952.png
    1CDACDC9-0FA1-4423-A0E3-67FE921D6952.png
    438.1 KB · Views: 31
  • 3B0E0AE5-EA0A-4790-9B2E-5187FAA1885D.png
    3B0E0AE5-EA0A-4790-9B2E-5187FAA1885D.png
    441.8 KB · Views: 28
No Cookies | Gold Coast Bulletin

May be pay walled so have copied the article below.

Volunteers embark on ‘tough’ search from missing Belgian backpacker Theo Hayez
Emily Halloran, emily.halloran@news.com.au, Gold Coast Bulletin
42 minutes ago
Subscriber only
COMMUNITY members will today search for missing Belgian backpacker Theo Hayez who was last seen in Byron Bay almost two months ago.

A group of volunteers will comb through Tallow Beach and are calling on others to help.

A Facebook event was created by a group called Looking for Theo Hayez said says volunteers would be searching some “dense scrub” off Tallow Beach.

4efe11ff1cc0a827a09cce28b33a1386

Missing Belgian backpacker Theo Hayez was last seen in Byron Bay on May 31, 2019.
fea54a063186b315b0fabc34b51d3485

The silver necklace with two pendants Theo Hayez wore which volunteers are trying to find.
THEO HAYEZ: POLICE CALL OFF SEARCH FOR MISSING BELGIAN BACKPACKER

“This may be a tough search and we require many strong, fit people to assist,” the event page reads.

similars

“We deeply appreciate your ongoing support and hope to find some answers for Theo’s family.”

Over the past couple of days, the group has been sharing photos of a “silver necklace with two pendants” Mr Hayez was seen wearing.

It is understood the necklace has not yet been found.

The events page advised anyone willing to volunteer to wear walking shoes, long pants and a long-sleeved top, sunscreen, hat, gloves, a walking stick and to bring water and snacks.

2c636d054e6ef68cb43fd7e44e4c2c3b

Volunteers gather to search for missing Belgian backpacker Theo Hayez on June 30, 2019. The 18-year old was last seen leaving Cheeky Monkey nightclub in Byron Bay, New South Wales on May 31. (AAP Image/Regi Varghese)

HAT FOUND IN NSW SEARCH FOR THEO HAYEZ

The group asks for people to use a GPS tracker application on their phone and email theohayezgps@gmail.com at the end of the day to monitor the areas which have been searched.

Those taking part will be meeting at the Tallow Beach car park at the end of Tallow Beach Road and will be searching the area from 9am to 3pm.

The search comes more than a month after police called off the search for Mr Hayez, saying they “do not have any more answers” for the teen’s family at this stage.

Mr Hayez was last seen leaving Cheeky Monkey’s on Jonson Street at Byron Bay about 11pm on May 31.

THEO HAYEZ WAS ASKED TO LEAVE BAR JUST HOURS BEFORE BYRON BAY DISAPPEARANCE

7b13b5ad9f474ed29b4882ad9f8a6be4

Theo Hayez's final phone records, obtained by News Corp, show the route he took from Cheeky Monkey's about 11pm until just after 1am the next morning when the last recorded signal came from a tower near Cape Byron lighthouse.
FATHER OF THEO HAYEZ MAKES EMOTIONAL APPEAL FOR HELP FINDING HIS SON

He never returned to Wake Up! hostel, where he had been staying.

Mr Hayez had been holidaying in Australia since November, accompanied by his cousin, who has been heavily involved in the search.

He is described as being of caucasian appearance, about 180cm to 190cm tall, with a thin build and blonde hair.

He was last seen dressed in a black hooded jumper, beige pants and black shoes.

POLICE USE SNIFFER DOGS AND DRONES TO SEARCH FOR MISSING BYRON BAY BACKPACKER

Mr Hayez’s belongings, including his phone, bank cards and passport, have not been used since May 31.

Police are continuing to appeal for public assistance, including anyone who may have CCTV from surrounding areas from about 11pm on Friday 31 May 2019, or anyone with dashcam footage from Jonson or Tennyson streets to come forward.

Know more? Phone Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr. Clean