Australia Australia - Theo Hayez, 18, Belgian backpacker, Byron Bay, June 2019

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Only official Facebook pages to find missing people are allowed

We are allowed to link and discuss the personal facebook page (and other sm) of the missing person, just not comments or posts from other people.

(We are also allowed to discuss sm from named suspects, when/if there are any.)

Just an fyi. The rules re. sm can be a bit confusing at first :)

Given that his phone pinged around 1.40pm sunday....he would have needed to charge his phone somewhere....
Wonder where?

Theo's phone last pinged on Saturday afternoon, Jenz. About 12 hours after Theo's last WhatsApp communication. His phone likely had enough charge to make it till then.

"On Monday, police confirmed the final ping from Mr Hayez' phone was recorded at 1.42pm on June 1, more than 12 hours after he was last seen leaving the Cheeky Monkeys bar in Byron Bay's CBD. The location of that final ping could not be determined."
https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw...mps-up-around-cape-byron-20190618-p51yrh.html

We are allowed to link and discuss the personal facebook page (and other sm) of the missing person, just not comments or posts from other people.

Just to clarify, In the event (such as yesterday) on the missing persons page on FB for Theo made by his family, that a post was made by an individual which was discussed here (not sure if it is still here as I know one my post was deleted over night) we are not allowed to discuss that post made by that person (even without naming names)?? And what if that post then ended up as a MSM news story yesterday reporting on that post made are we then allowed to link that news story here and discuss as it was all based on that FB comment made? Just want to check im a newbie. Just asking basicly if it becomes MSM news are we then allowed to discuss that comment(s) / post made on FB?

i see on theos fb page hes selling a bike

Several articles say that Belgian authorities are also assisting in the investigation. Possibly looking at any info that Theo's friends can offer. Perhaps what their private communications with Theo have been about. Possibly looking into any Belgian/European friends that Theo has made while in Australia. Covering all bases.

Homicide detectives are helping the investigation along with Belgian authorities but police hold hope Theo is still alive.
Headland still focus in search for Belgian

Just to clarify, In the event (such as yesterday) on the missing persons page on FB for Theo made by his family, that a post was made by an individual which was discussed here (not sure if it is still here as I know one my post was deleted over night) we are not allowed to discuss that post made by that person (even without naming names)?? And what if that post then ended up as a MSM news story yesterday reporting on that post made are we then allowed to link that news story here and discuss as it was all based on that FB comment made? Just want to check im a newbie. Just asking basicly if it becomes MSM news are we then allowed to discuss that comment(s) / post made on FB?

Best check with a mod, musso. Just message one (maybe CocoChanel, as Coco has been on this thread) and they usually get back to you as promptly as they can - depending on the time difference between the northern and southern hemispheres.

I know that we are never allowed to discuss comments under a (allowable) FB post.
We are generally able to link all MSM items (except stuff written by psychics).
We have linked many MSM articles in the past that have photos of various FB posts.

Theo's phone last pinged on Saturday afternoon, Jenz. About 12 hours after Theo's last WhatsApp communication. His phone likely had enough charge to make it till then.

"On Monday, police confirmed the final ping from Mr Hayez' phone was recorded at 1.42pm on June 1, more than 12 hours after he was last seen leaving the Cheeky Monkeys bar in Byron Bay's CBD. The location of that final ping could not be determined."
https://www.smh.com.au/national/nsw...mps-up-around-cape-byron-20190618-p51yrh.html

My real thoughts are that if he met with foul play (if he still had his phone on him at the time) I would think the perp would take a phone and destroy it or throw it in the water whatever. It would depend if it was an accident I guess and the person panicked and ran or was someone experianced in crime. I refer to Jill in Melbourne and her attacker removing her phone sim from memory or phone all together. So i wonder if was an unfortunate fall or accident he had where his phone still lay with him until it ran out battery. When mobile phones get stolen deliberately first thing they do is turn the phone off so nobody can call it (for most part) and if knew what they were doing remove the sim. I wonder if anyone with him that night looked at his phone at any point towards end night and saw his battery %. Long shot but who knows. He seems to have his phone in his hand in most CCTV,

Best check with a mod, musso. Just message one (maybe CocoChanel, as Coco has been on this thread) and they usually get back to you as promptly as they can - depending on the time difference between the northern and southern hemispheres.

I know that we are never allowed to discuss comments under a (allowable) FB post.
We are generally able to link all MSM items (except stuff written by psychics).
We have linked many MSM articles in the past that have photos of various FB posts.

I think you just answered that part at least for me I will do as advised thank you :)

Sorry if this has already been discussed. There’s a second Caltex on the corner of Shirley and Kendall Streets, and it would have cctv. I wish we could know all cctv sightings (including those confirmed by family but not police).

Wake Up said that his swipe card didn’t come up on their system as used on his return from CM’s.

The 12.20am messages were to a relative in Belgium and have been cleared as just general chat with nothing revealing, and that he seemed fine at the time.

I’m still going with him using whatsapp and not google maps from the time he left CMs. Someone on the app could be giving him directions to where they are, hence Kingsley Street and around the block. He could then be waiting for them on Shirley Street. Even someone from inside CMs.

How though do the police know he was using whatsapp that night and into the morning?

Last edited:
I believe the phone may was Oppo R17 - which would give battery life of around 10hr 38min... However some Oppo phones have battery life of up to two days.

So working backwards based on 10hr battery life (if it was almost fully charged) takes us to just after 3.30am... In sleep mode it may last longer... Which fits the time line.

So working backwards based on 10hr battery life (if it was almost fully charged) takes us to just after 3.30am... In sleep mode it may last longer... Which fits the time line.

Would sleep mode allow it to last an additional 10 hours until 1.40pm the following day? If he was using google maps that chews through battery life (or at least does on my iPhone). If he put it on sleep mode say after he sent the last known message it’s still 12 more hours.

Part of me doesn’t believe he would go up to the lighthouse in the middle of the night - however MAYBE he was speaking with someone who picked him up and wanted to show him the sights of Byron. It’s a massive tourist spot and seeings he just arrived he likely wouldn’t have walked up there yet and may have been tempted/convinced to. However this doesn’t seem to fit with his personality of meticulous planning.

I’m not sure what to think except he has not WILLINGLY gone missing.

Some people (especially travellers) also have morphies - portable battery chargers - so they are not caught without a charged phone.
They charge their phone and their morphie, then carry the morphie (it's pocket size) and that way can always have charge when their phone needs it. Especially good when travelling as sometimes it is difficult to be near or find an electrical outlet.

Would sleep mode allow it to last an additional 10 hours until 1.40pm the following day? If he was using google maps that chews through battery life (or at least does on my iPhone). If he put it on sleep mode say after he sent the last known message it’s still 12 more hours.

Part of me doesn’t believe he would go up to the lighthouse in the middle of the night - however MAYBE he was speaking with someone who picked him up and wanted to show him the sights of Byron. It’s a massive tourist spot and seeings he just arrived he likely wouldn’t have walked up there yet and may have been tempted/convinced to. However this doesn’t seem to fit with his personality of meticulous planning.

I’m not sure what to think except he has not WILLINGLY gone missing.
If he was picked up willingly by a vehicle in the vicinity of the hostel, it would’ve been by someone he knows and feels safe with. Who would he know, in that short of time there, with a vehicle?
Someone he just met at CMs? What happened in CMs and who was he mucking around with in there? Was he texting a person inside CMs when he left? I still reckon he was chatting or trying to chat with someone when he left the bar.

Otherwise he may have got picked up unwillingly.

Maybe, if a car is involved, he isn’t even in the bush or even the area.

If he was picked up willingly by a vehicle in the vicinity of the hostel, it would’ve been by someone he knows and feels safe with. Who would he know, in that short of time there, with a vehicle?
Someone he just met at CMs? What happened in CMs and who was he mucking around with in there? Was he texting a person inside CMs when he left? I still reckon he was chatting or trying to chat with someone when he left the bar.

I tend to think the phone was thrown in the lighthouse vicinity and he isn’t around either.

If he was at a backpackers bbq and then onto CM he may have spoken with quite a few people. I’m a very outgoing traveller and will chat to anyone who listens haha.

Many backpackers have their own car as a way to travel around Australia so possibly can’t rule out someone staying at Wake Up.

Also looking down the line of the hostel - it is very strange the alarm was raised well after he was meant to check out. Suss? Someone involved that purposely “slipped up” on not knowing when he was meant to be checked out? He was suppose to check out on the Monday but the hostel didn’t notify police until the Thursday.

New twist in search for Theo Hayez as police zero in on headland next to Byron Bay's iconic lighthouse - as fellow backpacker slams hostel for not raising the alarm for THREE days

Just looking at all possibilities .... Theo also could have been picked up unwillingly, and been transported somewhere else.

Wouldn't be the first time that someone else has used a victim's left-open communications on the victim's phone to send messages as if it was the victim sending the message.

Then chucked Theo's phone out in the vicinity of the lighthouse, some time later, to make it seem as if Theo dropped his phone there and jumped off a cliff.

Depends how smart a perp is, or thinks that they are.

I wish we knew the different zones where Theo's phone was pinging, and when. But police know, and that is what is important. They said yesterday that they were looking at all possibilities.

:)

New development in the case of missing Belgian backpacker Theo Hayez as police investigate a BUSH CAMP found in the Byron Bay hills

New development in Theo Hayez disappearance as police find a BUSH CAMP found in Byron Bay hills | Daily Mail Online
Hey. I'm not sure that I would hold much hope of them finding anything there. Those people from the bush camps are all over Byron. The backpackers who sleep roughly, usually do so in a car. The local bush campers aren't....... Well, they don't do that. That sounds silly to say, but historically there's been no incident. When I was there, they seemed like peaceful outcasts. They're homeless and have issues, but are not violent. They don't really engage with backpackers unless telling them off for littering the beach. I'd be surprised if any link to the bush camp is revealed. But I could be mistaken.

Last edited:
New development in the case of missing Belgian backpacker Theo Hayez as police investigate a BUSH CAMP found in the Byron Bay hills

New development in Theo Hayez disappearance as police find a BUSH CAMP found in Byron Bay hills | Daily Mail Online

This article states whatsapp was only able to access and disclose some data - which can include a user's name, last seen date, IP address and basic information - but not the encrypted content.

So Police will know who he was messaging - they would be looking at this people and I’m sure a warrant executed for the content of the messages.

I believe the police are withholding ALOT of information and don’t fall for the “it’s all a mystery”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Velvetshadow