Australia Australia - William Tyrrell, 3, Kendall, Nsw, 12 Sept 2014 - #39

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, my understanding is that no geocacher is putting their hand up for the painting, the stump has been a geocahe site for years, but the police have been quoted as saying the message was a part of a geocache game.

I wouldn't put my hand up (publicly) to it either, if I was the responsible geocacher who did it.
It was not a good thing to do, and it sounds as if a police reprimand was given.

With the use of the pink paint, I think it is more likely that a forest worker wrote the message rather than a geocacher.

I did understand the first time you stated about the pink paint.

I just don't think they have to be mutually exclusive. A forest worker, construction worker, road worker (anyone who uses that type of pink marking paint) could also be a geocacher.

So, you may be correct and the police may be correct.

Last edited:
Two photos from the 2018 police search on Batar Creek Road show a pink-marked tree in the background:

image.jpeg

Photo 9 of 32; see also 11 of 32.
Photos by Ivan Sajko in a photo archive at:
William Tyrrell: Person of interest caused new forensic search at Batar Creek Road
Port Macquarie News, 28 Jun 2018

Does the SES mark trees when clearing?

I think the 'S' looks similar to those on the tree stump... but then maybe there are just a limited number of ways you can write an 'S'.

Two photos from the 2018 police search on Batar Creek Road show a pink-marked tree in the background:

View attachment 164991

Photo 9 of 32; see also 11 of 32.
Photos by Ivan Sajko in a photo archive at:
William Tyrrell: Person of interest caused new forensic search at Batar Creek Road
Port Macquarie News, 28 Jun 2018

Does the SES mark trees when clearing?

I think the 'S' looks similar to those on the tree stump... but then maybe there are just a limited number of ways you can write an 'S'.

That ‘S’ is a grid marker that that area has been searched.

I did understand the first time you stated about the pink paint.

I just don't think they have to be mutually exclusive. A forest worker, construction worker, road worker (anyone who uses that type of pink marking paint) could also be a geocacher.

So, you may be correct and the police may be correct.

Anyone can get this fluoro spray paint.
It’s fluorescent and bright to see.
It comes in yellow, pink & green.
Schools use it for sports
Councils use it to mark trees to be removed when widening roads. I’ve even seen it on jetties to mark moorings.
8a1d553c-73e7-4907-a741-071192c9ee06.jpg

$6.54 @ Bunnings & it comes n every colour but the fluoros r most popular

I notice roos that are killed on our roads are marked with pink or yellow paint to be removed.

Also the pink paint and pink ribbons are usually surveyers markers.

That is usually done by wildlife rescuers as a note that the animal has been checked & if a marsupial, it’s pouch has been checked for young. Yellow & pink are high visibility

That ‘S’ is a grid marker that that area has been searched.

For all we know, the searchers might have crouched down and put an S on that stump - rather than mark a live tree, and the stump appears to be in a sort of prominent, cleared space - and a geocacher added the rest of the letters when they were playing their geocaching game.

BBM. Iailwa, what do you mean by the two bolded, please? I'm not taking your point about 'statistically'.

I’m not sure who’s stats we were going on (USA or AUS or WHO) but it was mentioned way back, that typically a predator will go x far to commit an assault, & then y far to dispose of a body. Bird trail, works for William, but also it was the middle point wrt to both William & another incident. Sorry can’t remember the exact stats so MOO. And of course this may not be the case at all...

You just reminded me of a couple of things about my visit to middle brother. One was the use of hot pink paint to mark forestry stuff, same colour as was used on the stump message in middle brother that was discovered about 2 years ago. That paint is used in the national park. The other point was I went to bird tree but I felt creeped out there and wouldn't get out of the car. I wouldn't go without at least one other adult as there was no one around

Yes, I remember about the paint. It’s kinda eerie that stump too. As for the bird trail, I have heard rumours it’s a bit spooky... MOO just rumours. Not sure I’d do it alone either!

I’m not sure who’s stats we were going on (USA or AUS or WHO) but it was mentioned way back, that typically a predator will go x far to commit an assault, & then y far to dispose of a body. Bird trail, works for William, but also it was the middle point wrt to both William & another incident. Sorry can’t remember the exact stats so MOO. And of course this may not be the case at all...
Thank you! I had the wrong idea altogether . . . thought you meant that track in particular had a well-documented criminal history.

Thank you! I had the wrong idea altogether . . . thought you meant that track in particular had a well-documented criminal history.
Oh gosh no. Although it might have a local reputation for parties? Drugs? Idk. As I said, just runours

It’s kinda suss the writing on the tree... who wouldn’t come forward & say they wrote it, if they wrote it innocently? I guess it could be foreigners? The police - in saying - it’s part of the geocache game seems like a red herring to me... there were helicopters & much activity when it was found. Those that logged the geocache prior to the stump message said they hadn’t seen the writing - & no-one has come forward since to report it. I just think of creeps that like to revisit sites & in someway insert themselves into the investigation, wrt to this kinda thing. JMOO

It’s kinda suss the writing on the tree... who wouldn’t come forward & say they wrote it, if they wrote it innocently? I guess it could be foreigners? The police - in saying - it’s part of the geocache game seems like a red herring to me... there were helicopters & much activity when it was found. Those that logged the geocache prior to the stump message said they hadn’t seen the writing - & no-one has come forward since to report it. I just think of creeps that like to revisit sites & in someway insert themselves into the investigation, wrt to this kinda thing. JMOO

Doesn't look like the helicopter was related to the tree stump find. There was something else going on at that time, not related to William IMO. It's so long ago I can't remember what it was.

'Locals in the area told The Daily Telegraph they saw heavily armed officers and PolAir helicopters hovering above the area.
Police said the aircraft was in the region coincidentally and was en route to Sydney'.

We’re for Sydney | Daily Telegraph

Doesn't look like the helicopter was related to the tree stump find. There was something else going on at that time, not related to William IMO. It's so long ago I can't remember what it was.

'Locals in the area told The Daily Telegraph they saw heavily armed officers and PolAir helicopters hovering above the area.
Police said the aircraft was in the region coincidentally and was en route to Sydney'.

We’re for Sydney | Daily Telegraph

Yes, but BBM below

"Locals in the area told The Daily Telegraph they saw heavily armed officers and PolAir helicopters hovering above the area.

Police said the aircraft was in the region coincidentally and was en route to Sydney.

--me-- why was there helicopters (plural) & heavily armed officers?

“Following inquiries, police have determined the items and painting were a result of ‘geocaching’, an outdoor activity in which participants use GPS coordinates to hide and seek items,” the statement reads.

“Given the circumstances of William’s disappearance, police are disappointed that it has been included in a recreational game.

me - Why the police would think someone would include this in a geo-chache game? It's quite bizarre to spray paint such a message... it's a perfect excuse, by police, to allow a suspect to think he'd got away with leaving such a message - if that's the case? of course IDK but it's something police may try to keep close to their chest, by pretending to suggest they have brushed it off...

doesn't make sense to me MOO

I don't know why there is always so much suspicion around what the police say and do.
If they say a geocacher did this, it is likely because a geocacher told them they did it. imo
The police do not have to name the culprit. It wasn't a criminal offense, and even if it was, they still do not have to name the culprit.

And if you were the geocacher who did it, would you be telling social media that you did it? And have half of the social media world come down on you?

Sometimes I think we need to put things in perspective. Leisl Smith went missing in country NSW in August 2012. On October 18, 2018, a man was charged with her murder - James Church, who we long suspected police had on their radar for this crime. Leisl still hasn't been found .. after extensive searches, lots of publicity, CCTV proof of her some of her movements, her family not giving up.

The police did not reveal everything they were doing over the 6+ years it took them to lay charges against James Church. Or everything that anyone else did. Nor were the police not on the right track.

Last edited:
I don't know why there is always so much suspicion around what the police say and do.
If they say a geocacher did this, it is likely because a geocacher told them they did it. imo
The police do not have to name the culprit. It wasn't a criminal offense, and even if it was, they still do not have to name the culprit.

And if you were the geocacher who did it, would you be telling social media that you did it? And have half of the social media world come down on you?

Sometimes I think we need to put things in perspective. Leisl Smith went missing in country NSW in August 2012. On October 18, 2018, a man was charged with her murder - James Church, who we long suspected police had on their radar for this crime. Leisl still hasn't been found .. after extensive searches, lots of publicity, CCTV proof of her some of her movements, her family not giving up.

The police did not reveal everything they were doing over the 6+ years it took them to lay charges against James Church. Or everything that anyone else did. Nor were the police not on the right track.

I guess in this instance, other sleuthers like myself went to the geocaching site that this stump was registered on and looked at the comments there and how long the stump had been used as a geocache. Just looked at the information provided by people on there and what they surmised as opposed to the police version in the media. I would have to dig for the link but I think the guy who discovered the writing on the stump found it to be quite fresh cause he went through the forest a lot. MOO

I guess in this instance, other sleuthers like myself went to the geocaching site that this stump was registered on and looked at the comments there and how long the stump had been used as a geocache. Just looked at the information provided by people on there and what they surmised as opposed to the police version in the media. I would have to dig for the link but I think the guy who discovered the writing on the stump found it to be quite fresh cause he went through the forest a lot. MOO

The geocache site has been there since at least July 2012, geocachers are still finding it as of Nov 2018 (according to Bo's link). If the logged site visits are any indication of how many geocachers have found it, it could be in the vicinity of 200+ people.

Any one of them could have sprayed the words sometime between Sep 2014 and Feb 2016. Or any kook could have.

Do we know when the wording was discovered? Social media sources are a bit dicey and unconfirmable.
MSM got hold of the info in Feb 2016 and police made their comment about it around that time.

As I said before, the S could have been placed there after a search, then someone wrote their Jesus Saves message from that.
Another distraction ... like the S (and partial R, partial E) that wore off Spedding's van lettering and was noticed by many.

I have faith that the police are investigating William's disappearance thoroughly.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member