Australia Australia - William Tyrrell, 3, Kendall, Nsw, 12 Sept 2014 - #46

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it’s very possible that he knows more than what’s been publicly released. The police seem to have kept private many details of this case and I can’t work out why. It would make sense to release an artist’s impression of the vehicles. I feel like RC would be capable of providing an accurate description to make this possible. I’m sure the police have their reasons, but the handling of this case is baffling.

The police do not always want the public's help in locating vehicles, or anything else for that matter. It may give away their game plan, perhaps cause a vehicle to be destroyed.

In the Karen Ristevski case, the police quietly tracked down every vehicle like Karen's vehicle so they could prove where all of those other vehicles were on the day that Karen was taken to a forest and dumped in her own car.

Very worth listening to ... not so much for new info, but for non-sensationalised accurate reporting and opinion.
More than ½ of it is about William - with another similar case mentioned for a reason - and a little more about William at the very end of the podcast.

The vital clue

by Andrew Rule 24:56 long
When children go missing, police and the press scramble to get the word out. And sometimes crucial information slips through the cracks.

A
Very good insights IMO. so disheartening though IMO, if what RC saw was indeed WT and an abductor and the opportunity of resolving the case has passed due to time. So sad about the other little girl mentioned in the podcast and a clear example of how incorrect or sensationalistic media reporting can hinder rather than help these tragic cases. MOO.

A
Very good insights IMO. so disheartening though IMO, if what RC saw was indeed WT and an abductor and the opportunity of resolving the case has passed due to time. So sad about the other little girl mentioned in the podcast and a clear example of how incorrect or sensationalistic media reporting can hinder rather than help these tragic cases. MOO.

Yes, he makes some good points, doesn't he? Journos need to get their facts straight, report accurately and without bias, if they are even remotely trying to help catch a child abductor/killer.

The police do not always want the public's help in locating vehicles, or anything else for that matter. It may give away their game plan, perhaps cause a vehicle to be destroyed.

In the Karen Ristevski case, the police quietly tracked down every vehicle like Karen's vehicle so they could prove where all of those other vehicles were on the day that Karen was taken to a forest and dumped in her own car.
Good point SA.
Hopefully that's exactly what's happening in this case.

Here’s the link to The Australian newspaper’s latest podcast Eyewitness:

Eyewitness

What exactly have police been doing for the nearly five years William has been missing? We look at some of the scenarios and some of the stings.

Boy that was a real nothing-burger this time! jmo.

One thing in this podcast though, which someone who listened more intently than I did, pointed out to me - the FGM knew child molester DN, previously a POI in this case. And IIRC, wasn't it said he was living in Kendall at the time? CO said he is 84 years old, so he would've been 79 at the time? Seems unlikely and especially if police haven't seemed to be pursuing him, and we haven't heard anything about him in years I don't think? Is it possible however, that FGM ran into him (would she have even known of his child abuse conviction(s)?) and told him about the upcoming family visit?

EDIT: start at 28:00 mark

I'm still thinking about the fawn/beige 4WD that RC claims to have seen with a boy in a Spiderman suit... I'm not a car expert by any means but the image that came to my mind after hearing his description was a 60 series Toyota Landcruiser ... possibly even 40 series. They commonly came in a matt fawn colour..

In the Claremont murders, investigators searched high and low for a vehicle of interest... I hope the same is happening in this case.

If it is a fawn coloured Landcruiser he saw, the pool of available vehicles would be relatively small these days surely?

4F5C43FD-4504-46B2-9825-E8572B5F6D20.jpeg
Brett Cowan’s vehicle.

Chapman had maybe 5 seconds to see what he saw & imo he’s done well.

If I saw this vehicle fanging past at full speed, with all that happening, I doubt I could, with pin point accuracy say ‘oh it was a Pajero’.

I get his comment ‘It’s a boxy, old style Landcruiser.’

I’m sure the cops showed Chapman a plethora of photos of boxy old style rock-climbers to help him with his conclusion.

Last edited:
Cowan left the boy to die in an old car in bushland before the naked, dazed and bleeding child with a punctured lung staggered into a service station for help. He was so badly mutilated the people who found him thought he’d been hit by a truck.

After initially denying any involvement in the attack, Cowan confessed after police told him they had found DNA evidence linking him to the crime.

In September 1993, Cowan pleaded guilty to gross indecency, grievous bodily harm and deprivation of liberty and was sentenced to seven years in jail.

Seven freakin’ years! That’s it!

Morcombe killer had long history of preying on children

Cowan left the boy to die in an old car in bushland before the naked, dazed and bleeding child with a punctured lung staggered into a service station for help. He was so badly mutilated the people who found him thought he’d been hit by a truck.

After initially denying any involvement in the attack, Cowan confessed after police told him they had found DNA evidence linking him to the crime.

In September 1993, Cowan pleaded guilty to gross indecency, grievous bodily harm and deprivation of liberty and was sentenced to seven years in jail.

Seven freakin’ years! That’s it!

Morcombe killer had long history of preying on children
Wtf

@ 19:30 “At the time I didn’t know what make it was but now believe it to be a Landcruiser, an old model.....”

Eyewitness

Yes, it does sound as though Mr Chapman has been shown a plethora of car photos, doesn't it? The police definitely took his sighting seriously and have been working with him to achieve more details. imo

Last edited:
One thing in this podcast though, which someone who listened more intently than I did, pointed out to me - the FGM knew child molester DN, previously a POI in this case. And IIRC, wasn't it said he was living in Kendall at the time? CO said he is 84 years old, so he would've been 79 at the time? Seems unlikely and especially if police haven't seemed to be pursuing him, and we haven't heard anything about him in years I don't think? Is it possible however, that FGM ran into him (would she have even known of his child abuse conviction(s)?) and told him about the upcoming family visit?

EDIT: start at 28:00 mark

William’s foster dad said he hadn’t told anyone he was going up to Kendall.
He said his wife’s mum sometimes talked in an open and friendly way with the people, and he wondered if she had maybe said: “My daughter and her husband and the kids are coming up.”
NoCookies | The Australian

Although, I do not see Nichols on the inquest witness list - and the media have not stated that this previously named POI has been called.

Sorry to keep on harping on about RC's observations but I'm now wondering how he knew the iridescent blue car was 6 cylinders?

If he knew cars well enough to know the difference between the sounds of a 4, 6 or 8 cylinder vehicle then why didn't he know what type of car it was?

The most common 6 cylinder cars in Aust are Commodores or falcons. Surely if it were one of those he would've been able to recognise the make/ model?

If he didn't recognise it but knew it was v6 from the sound, then perhaps it may have been less common performance vehicle?

Nissan skylines can come in iridescent blue and are 6 cylinder...

Subaru impreza WRX are only 4 cylinder but have a distinctive sound that could make them seem as though they're 6.

MOO

Mr Chapman's thoughts about the blue car may be as tgy suggested, police having him look through many photos in an effort to identify the type of vehicle.

Possibly he was able to whittle it down to a certain size of vehicle, but not down to the specific make?

Or perhaps he was able to identify the specific type of vehicle and that info is being kept quiet, at police request.

Yes, it does sound as though Mr Chapman has been shown a plethora of car photos, doesn't it? The police definitely took his sighting seriously and have been working with him to achieve more details. imo

The cops might have suspected those vehicles travelled on the pacific highway north or south and thus the HUGE billboards of William and like the cameras checked for FF hopefully they checked those same cameras. Unfortunately it would’ve been too late to ask for dash cams from trucks as well.

Words from Jubes....

Dealing with informants: you need a little bit of empathy and a little bit of understanding - #garyjubelin in conversation with #janawendt @BADCrimeSydney @statelibrarynsw #crime #police #writersfestival

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member