Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
“Should police have checked that sooner?"
"No"

The police didn’t know about Chapman’s sighting.

Spedding should be spitting chips that Chapman didn’t tell the police because his life could be a whole lot different now.

I think people should also remember that at the time that Mr Chapman's sighting came to them, as late as it was, they would have had thousands of reports from the public re sightings and other tip off's...............which one do you investigate first?

Wasn't so fond of this one-sided interview :(

I'd love to see what was edited out

What irks me - if historical allegations re-arise, it's damn right that BS be hauled away, whether he's a POI in the WT case or not. Who's fault is that? Not the polices surely.

Seems Gary didn't have a lot to work with when he came in.

Wasn't so fond of this one-sided interview :(

I'd love to see what was edited out

What irks me - if historical allegations re-arise, it's damn right that BS be hauled away, whether he's a POI in the WT case or not. Who's fault is that? Not the polices surely.

Seems Gary didn't have a lot to work with when he came in.

I can completely understand why the historical charges were laid when they were.
Someone was afraid that Spedding had taken William for child sex purposes.
And the girls were ready to take him to court.

imo

Last edited:
I can completely understand why the historical charges were laid when they were.
Someone was afraid that Spedding had taken William for child sex purposes.
And the girls were ready to take him to court.

imo

Does this mean he has a leg to stand on - with relation to suing the NSW Police?

I wish his alibi was checked sooner :(

Does this mean he has a leg to stand on - with relation to suing the NSW Police?

I wish his alibi was checked sooner :(

I guess we will find out soon enough. Ch7 TV news said that his case is expected to be heard some time next year.

I didn't notice any real concern for little missing William from him during the report. Which might have been nice to see, and perhaps a bit helpful for viewers to remember that a little 3 year old boy is still missing. It was all about poor Spedding.

Did they even put up at the end of the show to call Crime Stoppers if a person has any info about William Tyrrell?

Last edited:
Hard to say if they will be allowed any access to the grandchildren. FACS would make that decision, and it might be a hard decision to make seeing that there is no clear outcome from the trial. Insufficient evidence after 30+ years still leaves a lot of questions. imo
Especially as Hillsley was said to be in jail when the youngest child presented with black bruising to her private areas.

Plus there was a mother of one of the children who didn't want her child with them, having learned about the allegations, and was going to take the matter further IIRC.

What happens when an allegation is made - ChildStory Caring
Its protocol for children to be removed while allegations are investigated. If they didn’t remove the children, everyone would’ve complained why are the kids staying with someone accused of sexual abuse. You can’t please everyone.
In regards to the historical case. It’s one thing for the case to get dismissed due to lack of evidence compared to being found not guilty!
We are all aware how hard it to prosecute historical cases especially with how young the victims were. I feel bad for the victims in this matter.

In regards to the historical case. It’s one thing for the case to get dismissed due to lack of evidence compared to being found not guilty!
We are all aware how hard it to prosecute historical cases especially with how young the victims were. I feel bad for the victims in this matter.

Charges being dismissed and being found not guilty are the same thing. In the NSW case, the Judge dismissed the charges following the prosecution case. BS did not need to raise any defence. The judge found that that on the prosecution case, there was no possibility of a conviction. In other words, the trial was stopped and the charges were dismissed because the inevitable result was that he would have been acquitted.

I admire the strength of the Speddings and the people who stuck with them. I think that not many people would have had the fortitude to endure what they faced. IMO they seem to be surprisingly strong and dignified, and I say good luck to them. They should never have been put through that ordeal.

Charges being dismissed and being found not guilty are the same thing. In the NSW case, the Judge dismissed the charges following the prosecution case. BS did not need to raise any defence. The judge found that that on the prosecution case, there was no possibility of a conviction. In other words, the trial was stopped and the charges were dismissed because the inevitable result was that he would have been acquitted.

Having a case dismissed due to insufficient evidence - after witnesses (grandmother, perhaps medical staff) die, and evidence is lost after 30 years - is a heck of a lot different to the general public than going through a full trial with intact evidence and being found not guilty. imo

It is a damn shame that he was never put on trial 30 years ago but, sadly, that didn't happen 'due to the young age' of the two girl victims. Not an unusual thing in that day and age.

“Police have been informed the offences … were not pursued formally by police at the time of disclosure due to concerns as to the welfare of the victims, given their tender age,” a fact sheet said.
Mother demands answers after Bill Spedding arrest

I guess we will find out soon enough. Ch7 TV news said that his case is expected to be heard some time next year.

I didn't notice any real concern for little missing William from him during the report. Which might have been nice to see, and perhaps a bit helpful for viewers to remember that a little 3 year old boy is still missing. It was all about poor Spedding.

Did they even put up at the end of the show to call Crime Stoppers if a person has any info about William Tyrrell?

So very true. I noticed that too. Bad journalism all round. Can I say that here without fear of being sued? He obviously has an(other) agenda... bias much?

Having a case dismissed due to insufficient evidence - after witnesses (grandmother, perhaps medical staff) die, and evidence is lost after 30 years - is a heck of a lot different to the general public than going through a full trial with intact evidence and being found not guilty. imo

It is a damn shame that he was never put on trial 30 years ago but, sadly, that didn't happen 'due to the young age' of the two girl victims. Not an unusual thing in that day and age.

“Police have been informed the offences … were not pursued formally by police at the time of disclosure due to concerns as to the welfare of the victims, given their tender age,” a fact sheet said.

Courts don't make decisions based on public perception. They make decisions based on law and facts. If people want to continue to believe that charges being withdrawn/dismissed somehow leaves room for speculation about the guilt of a person, they will do that regardless of how often they are told otherwise.

Charges are dismissed or withdrawn when it is inevitable that a defendant will be acquitted. Prosecution withdraw charges when the writing is on the wall. Judges dismiss charges either when there is no prospect of conviction or a defendant is found not guilty/acquitted.

Courts don't make decisions based on public perception. They make decisions based on law and facts. If people want to continue to believe that charges being withdrawn/dismissed somehow leaves room for speculation about the guilt of a person, they will do that regardless of how often they are told otherwise.

Charges are dismissed or withdrawn when it is inevitable that a defendant will be acquitted. Prosecution withdraw charges when the writing is on the wall. Judges dismiss charges either when there is no prospect of conviction or a defendant is found not guilty/acquitted.

There is plenty of room for speculation about Spedding's guilt in the historical charges. Our courts make many mistakes with regard to pedo behaviour. Particularly in the minimal sentences that they dole out frequently, despite the sentencing laws being changed. imo

You are right. Courts don't do what the public would like to see. They follow archaic laws and archaic precedents that do not fit 2019.

It is too bad that people don't believe children. Happens far too often.

I do not expect a criminal lawyer to view things as a typical layman often does.

That article quotes a case note written by a FACS worker as to why charges were not proceeded with 30 years ago.

This article says that the charges were not laid 30 years ago because authorities investigated and "discredited and dismissed" the claims. Wrong target: Former Tyrrell case suspect speaks | The New Daily

I've read the case where the allegations were raised. The judge in that case didn't accept that the allegations were true.

That article quotes a case note written by a FACS worker as to why charges were not proceeded with 30 years ago.

This article says that the charges were not laid 30 years ago because authorities investigated and "discredited and dismissed" the claims. Wrong target: Former Tyrrell case suspect speaks | The New Daily

I've read the case where the allegations were raised. The judge in that case didn't accept that the allegations were true.

Thanks. But I am not going to debate this. I have read the entire description of what happened to those little girls before the articles timed out or were pulled down due to sub judice.

I am not going to put Peter O'Brien's words above the words of the little children.

You are entitled to your criminal lawyer opinion. I am entitled to my concerned layperson/mother/member of the public opinion.

Last edited:

I am surprised that they were even able to take it to Trial in the first place.

GJ seemed pretty sure of himself and the investigation he conducted. This is not GJ first rodeo. He knows how to conduct a comprehensive aboveboard investigation. I don’t believe BS was treated unfairly. There was and still is so many coincidences surrounding him. Police were just doing their job. BS did himself no favours either. Even from his first statement police found inconsistencies. Bs tried to explain them away with failed memory.

BS said in his interview he knew the historical case would be hard to defend. If he felt there no case to answer, why would he have felt it would be hard to defend?

Does a case being dismissed - with no findings of guilt or conviction prove the defendant as factually innocent of the crime for which they were arrested?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrayZee