Australia Australia - William Tyrrell, 3, Kendall, Nsw, 12 Sep 2014 - #65

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to disagree there, as an example WS were (I don't like to use the word forced) but made to close the Claremont murder discussion here because of legal reasons. I don't think what country your in protects you these days with the Internet being global. IMO
Sub Judice. I am not sure that a US site would have to abide by that though. It would be interesting to know. I know that Melania Trump sued the DM for something that they reported that a US blogger had written about her. She was not able to sue the blogger in the US, but could, because of the UK's stricter libel laws sue the DM in the UK.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to disagree there, as an example WS were (I don't like to use the word forced) but made to close the Claremont murder discussion here because of legal reasons. I don't think what country your in protects you these days with the Internet being global. IMO

Erin Molan sued DailyMail Aust as did Mick Gatto, Palm Islanders etc
Daily Mail Australia editor told employer to target Erin Molan, court told

Palm Islanders to launch action against Channel Nine, Daily Mail over 'racist' reports

My apologies. I assumed that everyone knew as common knowledge that other than a few human rights laws (which are not adopted globally), most laws are specific to the region in which they are governed.
I'm afraid I would need to link to a bachelor of laws degree to back up my statement, I can't supply you with a soundbite link that would be thorough enough to educate you on this. Sorry.

Well in Australia Defamation Laws come under the Federal not State umbrella. Foreign entities Can be sued for defamation in Australia whether in print, digital or spoken.
For precedence see: Dow Jones & Co Inc vs Gutnick 2002 ; High Court
QUOTE:

Laws without borders: Jurisdiction of courts in Internet defamation cases

Back To Issue
Feature Articles
Cite as: (2006) 80(3) LIJ,46

A growing body of case law is providing guidance as to when Australian courts will exercise jurisdiction over foreign defendants in relation to defamatory material published on the Internet.

By Dr Matt Collins

A growing body of case law is providing guidance as to when Australian courts will exercise jurisdiction over foreign defendants in relation to defamatory material published on the Internet.
By Dr Matt Collins

In Dow Jones & Co Inc v Gutnick,[1] the High Court held in 2002 that Victorian businessman Joseph Gutnick could maintain a defamation action in the Supreme Court of Victoria against the American publisher of Barron’s Online in respect of an article written, edited and uploaded to the Internet in the United States.

Gutnick had sued only in respect of publications of the article occurring in Victoria and had limited his claim to damage to his reputation in that state. The High Court held that the tort of defamation is committed each time and in each place where defamatory material is downloaded in comprehensible form, provided that the defamed person has a reputation in that place which is thereby damaged.[2] It followed that Gutnick’s claim related entirely to causes of action accruing in Victoria and fell to be determined according to Victorian defamation law. It could not be said that Victoria was a forum non conveniens – a “clearly inappropriate” forum – for the resolution of the dispute.[3]

The day after the High Court delivered its judgment in Gutnick, an editorial in the New York Times opined that the Court had struck “a devastating blow to free speech online”.[4] On the same day, an editorial in The Australian ventured that the High Court judges remained “entrapped by the arcane art of the common law and the inglorious history of defamation law as a tool of the powerful”.[5]

SOURCE- LINK

It could be argued that if the FM is in any way complicit, then she would prefer the whole thing to quietly die down over a period, with maybe occasional media references to it on anniversaries, etc.

On the other hand, the Where's William campaign supporters would be wanting to know why she did that.

Even if it did fade away from public view, as we know cold cases are reviewed by police from time to time and sometimes with great success, so there would be no rest for the wicked, so to speak.

If FM and I say if FM is responsible would The Where's William Campaign bring other charges in itself say fraud??

I’m continuing to pray and hope they find William . His family deserve to know where he is not least of all his sister !
It seems there’s less and less news each day so I remind myself this is an ongoing case and we need to trust the police / coroner who does need to know has information and we the public will be privy at the right time.

It is unfinished. The Coroner has delayed publishing her finding(s) until the police report back to her. Reportedly she wasn't too happy to be interrupted, so the police must have been pretty convincing for her to agree to the suspension.

BBM Where is this coming from? Could I please have a link?

So he has interviewed them and came to the conclusion that the police have filed false charges against them? Who wouldn't believe a 2gb host against the police?

How sad...those charges haven't even been heard yet...

false allegations??? Like WT*...so what he's implying?? a child is lying??

Yep real professional Chris Smith

It is unfinished. The Coroner has delayed publishing her finding(s) until the police report back to her. Reportedly she wasn't too happy to be interrupted, so the police must have been pretty convincing for her to agree to the suspension.

Huh aren't the current searches under her order?? Why would she be unhappy??

I haven't read anything about that, so do you have a link plz?

<modsnip>
They have ALREADY been charged with assault.
<modsnip>
Just because the case is not happening immediately does not mean
that the charge of assault has disappeared. The AVO is a separate
issue.
The question is : would the police charge such a high profile couple
with common assault if they were unsure of the circumstances of the
crime, knowing full well the media attention that this would bring upon
them, and the probable loss of their foster daughter from their care- as
well as a criminal record for BOTH if convicted?

BOTH of William Tyrrell's foster parents have been charged with
common assault.

SOURCE- LINK

So he has interviewed them and came to the conclusion that the police have filed false charges against them? Who wouldn't believe a 2gb host against the police?

Since she is under a foster arrangement, wouldn't some kind of case worker also be involved? I very much doubt police could have filed false charges here even if they had wanted to, and why would they jeopardize their overall case like that?

I can't say. What is the legal status of that campaign? Is it a 'go fund me' type of thing, or is it a registered charity, or something else?

Where’s William? is the official website in the search for William Tyrrell.

<modsnip>

William Tyrrell's wealthy foster parents led a $141,000 campaign to find out what happened to the missing boy in the Spider-Man suit - only to be named as persons of interest SEVEN YEARS on

William Tyrrell's foster parents led $141,000 campaign before becoming persons of interest | Daily Mail Online

Yeah why though? Sorry disagree respectfully.

Findings from a coronial inquest in William’s disappearance were delayed in June, with NSW Police returning to search the Kendall property and its surrounds 12 days ago.

William Tyrrell finds to help resume inquest

Reportedly she wasn't too happy to be interrupted

Thanks for the article which I have read, but it appears you missed the main point of my question ..... I cant find any information in this article about the Coroner being unhappy????
JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member