Australia Australia - William Tyrrell Disappeared While Playing in Yard - Kendall (NSW) #78

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Report finds that the NSW government does not monitor the wellbeing of children in foster care, and last year closed the cases of 85,000 children at risk of significant harm.

(Paywalled)

Report finds that the NSW government does not monitor the wellbeing of children in foster care, and last year closed the cases of 85,000 children at risk of significant harm.

(Paywalled)

Horrible numbers.

Sooo many biological parents unable to care for their children....over 110 000!!

Who is suppossed to care for these poor children??

That's alot of OOHC.

After this case, I think alot of people would second guess taking children in IMO

It's both the state & bio parents failing these children IMO

How do "we" fix this ?

Horrible numbers.

Sooo many biological parents unable to care for their children....over 110 000!!

That's alot of OOHC.

After this case, I think alot of people would second guess taking children in IMO

<modsnip - off topic>

It's really sad. I heard today on the radio news that the govt had provided $169 million for 500 new frontline support workers for counselling victims of domestic and sexual violence ... only about 60 positions have been filled.

They are struggling to find people who are willing and able to help other people.

imo

Last edited by a moderator:
It's really sad. I heard today on the radio news that the govt had provided $169 million for 500 new frontline workers for counselling victims of domestic and sexual violence ... only about 60 positions have been filled.

They are struggling to find people who are willing and able to help other people, including the children who really need it.

imo
Improve employment conditions and increase pay. Readvertise.

What is your answer for all these babies & kids needing to be placed into Foster care, due to the biological parents being deemed unable to care for them ( mostly due to DV, drugs & neglect IMO) ??
there’s so quick fix DrS but
The main thing I keep thinking about with regard to the photos, is, if the meta data showed a time or date discrepancy when it was forensically examined, then I think there would have already been an arrest ….

The Police would not have needed to refer that to the DPP, as I think that would have been a “slam dunk” for the “perverting the court of justice” charge… with actual evidence to prove that…

So my take, is that the photos are correct … and the timeline remains so so tight ….

IMO
i agree the time of the photos is correct. I was referring to the purpose behind taking the photos which ffc says were for the kids to look back on and have memories of grandma. Yet not 1 photo was taken of grandma with her grandchildren that morning.

there’s so quick fix DrS but

i agree the time of the photos is correct. I was referring to the purpose behind taking the photos which ffc says were for the kids to look back on and have memories of grandma. Yet not 1 photo was taken of grandma with her grandchildren that morning.
We don't know what other photos were taken thou, we wouldn't be shown them anyway.

The photos were also taken for the My Life Story Book from memory ( I'm not going to dig my notes out!)

I was one of those foster children who wasn't monitored. I was taken to another state and never saw anyone from children services again, while my foster parents collected the money. I met one officer at my first placement, and a different officer, at my second placement, that was it. I was able to access my file via ARC, about 12 years ago, I still haven't gone through it all, just too traumatising. I did note there was a phone call from an officer in my home state, couldn't be bothered to come out and visit! This is a very common practice whether due to understaffing or just being slack.
I was an orphan and my parents were immigrants so my situation is not like Williams. Even though, if there is abuse, it's the same, but imo, if a child knows there's a parent out there, they're harder to break in if that's the parenting style of the foster carer. This style of parenting is abhorrent whether the parent/step or foster! It's easier to lay the ground work for further types of abuse once a child's spirit is broken.

I was shocked as everyone else with the FFC's parenting style, there's no excuse for kicking, hitting and iirc, locking a earlier foster child outside. This is psychological abuse and is very common, and extremely damaging, more than the physical abuse, imo.
After saying all that, and previously following this case and the timeline, I don't believe she's responsible for his death or removal, but my main theory which I hold on to, is that she left him unattended for up to 30 minutes, while sorting out her mother's belongings as the house had been sold. Mother didn't keep watch on William, and he wandered off, either hit by a car and removed by the driver, fell into a ditch, or snatched by a person with ill intent. A child can run pretty far in a short amount of time, let alone nearly 30 minutes, and I don't listen to any parent who says a 3 year old never wanders. This is absurd, there are NO absolutes with small children, their brains are immature, they can't remember rules or keeping safe, it's a ridiculous notion that they can. It's a safety net for parents to absolve themselves being held accountable, my older daughter wandered off twice at 3 years of age, across the street into a school ground and another time at a shopping centre. She was quiet and an easy child to raise, but I learned my lesson for my next two, especially, prepared for a rambunctious, noisy son who surprisingly, never ran off! Kids will always surprise you, and that's the joy, no two are alike!

I often think of William and what might have happened to him. He didn't disappear in thin air, I can't stand that phrase, something happened, and he may or may not ever be found, which is tragic!
JMO

A child can run pretty far in a short amount of time,

Sure can, and they are fast as anyone who has tried to catch a runaway in a shopping centre can attest. I well recall chasing a 3 year old in my care as she headed for the escalator. Luckily a quick-thinking shopper headed her off before she reached it.

I was one of those foster children who wasn't monitored. I was taken to another state and never saw anyone from children services again, while my foster parents collected the money. I met one officer at my first placement, and a different officer, at my second placement, that was it. I was able to access my file via ARC, about 12 years ago, I still haven't gone through it all, just too traumatising. I did note there was a phone call from an officer in my home state, couldn't be bothered to come out and visit! This is a very common practice whether due to understaffing or just being slack.
I was an orphan and my parents were immigrants so for further types of abuse once a child's spirit is broken.
Snipped by me…

Sending you a great big virtual hug PrimeSuspect

Improve employment conditions and increase pay. Readvertise.
Yes JLZ.
Support. Community. Access to affordable mental health drug and alcohol programs.

Support is at the top of every change in bad behaviour. When a parent/s need help and support who can they turn to without the fear of possibly losing their children if they admit they have a problem and need help

Community- you know what the say it takes a village to raise a child. Community based support services for example meals on wheels, weekly gatherings of a local community where you can feel inclusive and important.

Health Care- we are so behind in this area I’m lost for words really. We need more mental health workers than what we do carers/foster parents.

Education/information - boards and signs with numbers and websites.

I understand there are some children who need to be removed from an unsafe environment but if possible not indefinitely. Focus on supporting and helping parents keep their children and families together. Blood is thicker than water

Yes JLZ.
Support. Community. Access to affordable mental health drug and alcohol programs.

Support is at the top of every change in bad behaviour. When a parent/s need help and support who can they turn to without the fear of possibly losing their children if they admit they have a problem and need help

Community- you know what the say it takes a village to raise a child. Community based support services for example meals on wheels, weekly gatherings of a local community where you can feel inclusive and important.

Health Care- we are so behind in this area I’m lost for words really. We need more mental health workers than what we do carers/foster parents.

I understand there are some children who need to be removed from an unsafe environment but if possible not indefinitely. Focus on supporting and helping parents keep their children and families together. Blood is thicker than water

This^^^ is the part I have concerns about. It would be lovely if blood connections did mean that the family members would do no harm. But just looking at the many examples here in this vast forum we can see that is not always the case.

There have been way too many cases where children were returned, over and over, to bio family, and eventually died in their care. SOMETIMES children deserve to be rescued from their original families. That is the sad truth.

I agree that families need community help and support and programs for drugs/alcohol and the like. At the same time, there should not be an infinite amount of chances given before a child is moved to safety, if necessary. JMO IMO

Horrible numbers.

That's alot of OOHC.

How do "we" fix this ?
A little bit of empathy can go a long way. Kids having kids isn’t easy. The biological parents were babies themselves. A little rough around the edges perhaps. What was there upbringing like? I wonder. What excuses shall we use for fp behaviour towards W sis. Charges they were convicted of by a judge. Certainly a lil more prim and proper so I wonder what their upbringing was like and their support systems. Parents don’t just have children and suddenly turn into a superhero. Parents are people and people are human. Maybe we should be supporting those who need it the most rather than take away their flesh and blood and hand them over to a complete stranger.
What I see happening in the future of child protection services in Australia is eventually community based support and services will rise to the challenge and hopefully there won’t be as much of a demand on government corporations that tend to have their own hierarchies and political agendas.

Last edited:
Yes JLZ.

If the NSW government would stop wasting $'s on building new sports stadiums etc , & put it into essential services we might get there.

Those of us who work in Govt jobs, ie health, teaching , Police, Justice etc are just set up to fail everyday.

I imagine that DOCS / FACS or what ever they call themselves this week, really are only scratching the service of the very worst ROSH kids.

I've contacted them so many times as a mandatory reporter, usually get the standard email back, saying case closed , nil ROSH.

The only time that they were interested was when I had a dead baby in my Dept with obvious signs of abuse, obviously way too late & yes they were known to them.

Last edited:
If the NSW government would stop wasting $'s on building new sports stadiums etc , & put it into essential services we might get there.

Those of us who work in Govt jobs, ie health, teaching , Police, Justice etc are just set up to fail everyday.

I imagine that DOCS / FACS or what ever they call themselves this week, really are only scratching the service of the very worst ROSH kids.

I've contacted them so many times as a mandatory reporter, usually get the standard email back, saying case closed , nil ROSH.

The only time that they were interested was when I had a dead baby in my Dept with obvious signs of abuse.
I understand I to work in the education system as well as the disability sector. So I do see and I do understand and I can empathise with you. How devastating to see that. Heartbreaking. I’m sorry. Our child protection systems across the states are failing year after year and their response to rectify this nightmare is to fill the spaces with more carers more departments more workers but our systems are so broken may as well pffff them off and start fresh.

Last edited:
Our Aussie parents are failing year after year.
Our child protection systems can't keep up with the huge amount of parents who are failing their children.

imo
I worked in the school system for many years. I saw many children that I thought were being 'failed' by their families.

And I cannot say that biological parents were always better, more loving than adoptive or fosterers. Children are failed by many people responsible for them---bio or not.

Last edited:

This^^^ is the part I have concerns about. It would be lovely if blood connections did mean that the family members would do no harm. But just looking at the many examples here in this vast forum we can see that is not always the case.

There have been way too many cases where children were returned, over and over, to bio family, and eventually died in their care. SOMETIMES children deserve to be rescued from their original families. That is the sad truth.

I agree that families need community help and support and programs for drugs/alcohol and the like. At the same time, there should not be an infinite amount of chances given before a child is moved to safety, if necessary. JMO IMO
part of the problem is they're not being moved to safety. Not in NSW where huge numbers of them are being put in motel rooms with almost no supervision, the supervision is just contracted workers from third parties staying in other rooms, not even necessarily physically close to the child. These children have suffered abuse and neglect in this system as well, because there are just not enough foster carers.

the whole thing is an absolute disgrace and a total mess

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FastRayne
Back