AZ AZ - Adrienne Salinas, 19, Tempe , 15 June 2013 - #1

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

hmmmmmm.. could she have had a panic attack? i know when i had my last panic attack, i had a very hard time breathing for a couple of hours. i was in super hyperventilation mode and it was very scary. i can just see something like that happening after a chaotic night like she had. i have no idea how a panic attack would be with someone who recently had surgery due to lung problems. could have been worse if she was running/hurrying to get to AMPM (Panic attack + running, etc) maybe someone could have seen or heard her having the panic attack and came to her "rescue" only to end up harming her. OR, this could have been purely accidental, maybe if someone did come along to help her out, took her back to their house to help calm her down, but something went wrong there? maybe this person had something questionable in their home.. maybe they had a warrant.. etc.

just another possible scenario.

eta - if someone was trying to harm her, could her endurance to fight back be limited due to her recent lung problem?

I am a young woman and lived in the same complex as Adrienne only a couple years ago, so this case has resonated with me. I'm currently moving away from a residence at Baseline/Rural, close to where Begay/George lived and Begay's body was found as well. To say that I am shaken is an understatement. I can't say I have any truly fresh insight, but I would like to offer up any local information that I can, like my fellow Tempe residents before me. I agree with goblinsolo that the area surrounding Adrienne's complex is not a safe one. I remember countless occasions where the complex was part of a police perimeter, if I remember correctly due to robberies at the Hardy/University convenience stores. I never felt comfortable. There were handfuls of shady individuals that passed through- residents, guests, transients, etc. I watched a man get arrested from my balcony. I broke my lease and left because the mix of things caused me so much anxiety.

For whatever reason I still cannot discount the theory of the Salinas and Begay/George cases being related, only by chance encounter. Maybe George became blood thirsty after leaving Begay, but again, where would Adrienne be? Would he really become smart enough to, I hate to put it this way, dispose of the body in a less obvious way? I'm wondering if LE has searched the canal just south of Rural/Baseline. Find it as "Sun Circle Trail." It crosses paths directly with Rural Road. I agree that the "swamp" like area near Tempe Town Lake (the Western end, near the pedestrian bridge, correct locals?) may be an area of interest, but surely they would had searched this area while dragging the lake?

Unrelated to Begay/George, it really does seem that the roommates and party goers know more (or perhaps less) than they are attempting to lead us to believe. Absolutely nothing adds up. Maybe they are directly related. Maybe they are whipping up false information out of fear. I think we are funneling too much speculation into the argument with her boyfriend. Teenaged girls get emotional, make lots of phone calls, don't often leave voicemails, are all over the place. From what I have gathered, it seems like a very typical young love argument, like many I have experienced myself. She may had not been in an entirely clear state of mind because of this, but it was probably not her downfall.

Unfortunately I don't think that that there are any clues to be found in social media, Adrienne's especially. Brooding, maybe, but I don't think that it can truly attached to depression. Seems nothing out of the ordinary for a teen girl.

Very interesting that you lived in the same exact complex as Adrienne. I don't know much about the area but the way you describe it doesn't sound all that great.

With regards to Begay and George. It's difficult for me to believe he would dump her body and then go looking for someone else right away. I would think he might be scared and wanting to get back home as soon as possible afterwards.

Do you know anything about her (Begay) other than what is in the news? I saw a report yesterday on another site that had a young woman named Begay listed as an 'endangered runaway' back in 2012. I was wondering if anyone knew if this was the same girl.

Anyway...very interesting post you made!

I am a young woman and lived in the same complex as Adrienne only a couple years ago, so this case has resonated with me. I'm currently moving away from a residence at Baseline/Rural, close to where Begay/George lived and Begay's body was found as well. To say that I am shaken is an understatement. I can't say I have any truly fresh insight, but I would like to offer up any local information that I can, like my fellow Tempe residents before me. I agree with goblinsolo that the area surrounding Adrienne's complex is not a safe one. I remember countless occasions where the complex was part of a police perimeter, if I remember correctly due to robberies at the Hardy/University convenience stores. I never felt comfortable. There were handfuls of shady individuals that passed through- residents, guests, transients, etc. I watched a man get arrested from my balcony. I broke my lease and left because the mix of things caused me so much anxiety.

For whatever reason I still cannot discount the theory of the Salinas and Begay/George cases being related, only by chance encounter. Maybe George became blood thirsty after leaving Begay, but again, where would Adrienne be? Would he really become smart enough to, I hate to put it this way, dispose of the body in a less obvious way? I'm wondering if LE has searched the canal just south of Rural/Baseline. Find it as "Sun Circle Trail." It crosses paths directly with Rural Road. I agree that the "swamp" like area near Tempe Town Lake (the Western end, near the pedestrian bridge, correct locals?) may be an area of interest, but surely they would had searched this area while dragging the lake?

Unrelated to Begay/George, it really does seem that the roommates and party goers know more (or perhaps less) than they are attempting to lead us to believe. Absolutely nothing adds up. Maybe they are directly related. Maybe they are whipping up false information out of fear. I think we are funneling too much speculation into the argument with her boyfriend. Teenaged girls get emotional, make lots of phone calls, don't often leave voicemails, are all over the place. From what I have gathered, it seems like a very typical young love argument, like many I have experienced myself. She may had not been in an entirely clear state of mind because of this, but it was probably not her downfall.

Unfortunately I don't think that that there are any clues to be found in social media, Adrienne's especially. Brooding, maybe, but I don't think that it can truly attached to depression. Seems nothing out of the ordinary for a teen girl.

Hi there!

I was wondering:

Do you think George could have stopped by that party (40+ ppl maybe he could go unnoticed or knew someone there)?

(Maybe he could have abducted her from that party? Upon her walking out to the parking lot to go to AmPM?)

(p.s. i also lived in Tempe and agree the area of the Apts. has always seemed shady to me. Lots of liquor stores/drunks around too. Used to buy booze easy with a fake ID when I looked like a baby right across the way from the complex.)

I wonder what happened to her in February... A collapsed lung sounds serious!

If she was so close to home why not give the cab driver that address? That whole am/pm bothers me. The story just doesn't add up in my head, but without knowing the area I really have nothing to base it on. :dunno:

Sent from my SGH-T679 using Tapatalk 2

Also RockfordPeach (Cute Name!)

Begay-Barakzai's body was found at 4:30 am.

so I'm assuming she was probably dropped there 15 minutes before around 4:12-4:15 am?
This would provide George with give or take more than 45 minutes to make it up toward Adrienne's apartment/party by the time she was leaving for the AMPM around 5am.
That is more than enough time for George to drop the body and make it to the party, especially if he took the expressway IMHO.

Adrienne calls cab after walking back to her apartment at around 5am (report says according to latest articles)

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/06/2...woman-disappearance-as-family-holds-out-hope/

I can not say I am a great sleuther or even think very well outside the box. I do care and find myself drawn to some cases.

I own and operate a small cab/limo company. I have been involved in the cab business for about 5-6 years. When I asked in another post about "WHY" would she have the cabbie pick her up 1/4 mile from her house at the AMPM it is because from my experience this is unusual. No body calls a cab to pick them up and take them across town from a convenience store any distance from their home-they ask you to stop if they need to go there. I can't quite wrap my head around it. Unless she was in a car with someone who was dropping her there at the AMPM.

Most of our customers are college age, night time bar/party patrons. College kids trust their cab drivers and are much more responsible than the older generation, thank God and understandably. Kids studying and going into certain professions understand the huge impact a DUI can have on their careers and may be the "ones" who call for themselves or their friends frequently. So, it is also a good question to ask, "Did the call come in from AS phone or was it another number"? Also, had AS used this company before?

I get the feeling this is a small "mom and pop" operation of a cab company like my own. The father owns the company and the son was working on that call. It does not seem suspicious for the father to do the interview or answer questions. I am guessing the father was either dispatching that night or has detailed logs of the nights calls/events

Which brings me to my point.

You get the call. In this case it came in at 4:23, and the closest driver was about 20 minutes away," said Thomas Simon, owner of Scottsdale Cab Guy. He said the driver was his son, Tom.

http://www.kpho.com/story/22709539/c...h-missing-teen

So, the driver could have been to the store AMPM by 4;43 or so... then, it is apparently approx another 20 mins before cabbie made attempted contact with AS? Did he sit at the AMPM waiting for her those 20 minutes without attempting to call her? I don't think so. When we get to our pickup we either have called and made contact or call repeatedly until we get an answer and/or we give it a few minutes, then leave after a five to ten minute "no show".

I am having problems with the cab company timeline.

Simon said his son called Salinas at 5:04 a.m. and 5:05 a.m. to make sure she was headed to the gas station. He said at 5:06 a.m., Salinas called his son, saying she'd be there in a minute. Then he called Salinas at 5:07 a.m. looking for her, but the phone went to voicemail.

The cab company says the call came in at 4:23 and the driver was 20 mins away. If true and he was dispatched when called he would have arrived at the AMPM at 4:43 and at approx the same time AS sent a text from her phone to the BF at 4:47 saying she was on her way. (no wonder Tom the cabbie was questioned, searched and DNA'd)
http://www.azcentral.com/community/...sing-tempe-student-search-continues-abrk.html
But then there are the back and forth calls between AS and the cab driver at 5:05.

I believe it is possible that AS was in the cab at 4:47 when she sent the text to bf. I wish we knew exactly what the text said.

I hope I didnt confuse anyone with my crazy, mixed up questions on the cabbie timeline.
I know this post is messy. Just wanted to try and get it out there today.

jmo

Not saying the bf is involved;however, maybe he left his phone at home and called his phone multiple times to make it seem like it was AS calling him? Just to cover his tracks? Just my :twocents:

I wonder what happened to her in February... A collapsed lung sounds serious!

Gingersnap! That's a really great question! Hopefully we will find that out because it could have more relevance than we know!

I can not say I am a great sleuther or even think very well outside the box. I do care and find myself drawn to some cases.

I own and operate a small cab/limo company. I have been involved in the cab business for about 5-6 years. When I asked in another post about "WHY" would she have the cabbie pick her up 1/4 mile from her house at the AMPM it is because from my experience this is unusual. No body calls a cab to pick them up and take them across town from a convenience store any distance from their home-they ask you to stop if they need to go there. I can't quite wrap my head around it. Unless she was in a car with someone who was dropping her there at the AMPM.

Most of our customers are college age, night time bar/party patrons. College kids trust their cab drivers and are much more responsible than the older generation, thank God and understandably. Kids studying and going into certain professions understand the huge impact a DUI can have on their careers and may be the "ones" who call for themselves or their friends frequently. So, it is also a good question to ask, "Did the call come in from AS phone or was it another number"? Also, had AS used this company before?

I get the feeling this is a small "mom and pop" operation of a cab company like my own. The father owns the company and the son was working on that call. It does not seem suspicious for the father to do the interview or answer questions. I am guessing the father was either dispatching that night or has detailed logs of the nights calls/events

Which brings me to my point.

You get the call. In this case it came in at 4:23, and the closest driver was about 20 minutes away," said Thomas Simon, owner of Scottsdale Cab Guy. He said the driver was his son, Tom.

http://www.kpho.com/story/22709539/c...h-missing-teen

So, the driver could have been to the store AMPM by 4;43 or so... then, it is apparently approx another 20 mins before cabbie made attempted contact with AS? Did he sit at the AMPM waiting for her those 20 minutes without attempting to call her? I don't think so. When we get to our pickup we either have called and made contact or call repeatedly until we get an answer and/or we give it a few minutes, then leave after a five to ten minute "no show".

I am having problems with the cab company timeline.

Simon said his son called Salinas at 5:04 a.m. and 5:05 a.m. to make sure she was headed to the gas station. He said at 5:06 a.m., Salinas called his son, saying she'd be there in a minute. Then he called Salinas at 5:07 a.m. looking for her, but the phone went to voicemail.

The cab company says the call came in at 4:23 and the driver was 20 mins away. If true and he was dispatched when called he would have arrived at the AMPM at 4:43 and at approx the same time AS sent a text from her phone to the BF at 4:47 saying she was on her way. (no wonder Tom the cabbie was questioned, searched and DNA'd)
http://www.azcentral.com/community/...sing-tempe-student-search-continues-abrk.html
But then there are the back and forth calls between AS and the cab driver at 5:05.

I believe it is possible that AS was in the cab at 4:47 when she sent the text to bf. I wish we knew exactly what the text said.

I hope I didnt confuse anyone with my crazy, mixed up questions on the cabbie timeline.
I know this post is messy. Just wanted to try and get it out there today.

jmo

WOW! WideOpen! That's some really good work you did in putting together the fact that she could have already been in the cab before those calls were made and that perhaps the last text to the b/f could have been made after she was already in the cab.

So in your opinion you think the cabbie could have done something to her?

Is this why you stated that the 'college kids trust their cab drivers'?

It does seem strange that the LE would search the cabbie's home and also take a DNA from him if it is true he is not a suspect.

Very interesting post! Great to have an experienced cabbie's opinion! :)

Still holding out hope.

One reason she may have requested that the cab meet her at the ampm instead of where she was was bc she might have decided that she didn't feel safe stranded and waiting where she was for the taxi, that maybe she wanted to keep moving and anticipated that by the time she reached the ampm, her taxi would arrive in perfect timing. (I've actually done this before myself)...Also, maybe she thought it would be easier for the taxi to find her at this location. Also, if the taxi was delayed, at least she would be in a safer, public, better lit location?

Sorry if this has been answered, I'm trying to play catch up with this case. Didn't she call for the cab from her apartment? Why would she not feel safe enough to wait there, if she felt safe enough to live there? And how is it any safer to walk dark streets in the wee hours of the morning to get from her apartment to a convenience store?

This story makes absolutely ZERO sense.

Gingersnap! That's a really great question! Hopefully we will find that out because it could have more relevance than we know!

I am thinking of possible ways...
It wound be nice to know -

was she in a wreck/car crash in February?
some freak accident say skiing or something?
I guess it wasn't from an illness, but that is possible too I guess.
19 is young - but chronic lung problems? That doesn't seem likely.

Just sitting here scratching my head.
The bag she packed was not found.
Her "keys" not found just a key.
Cab called she wasn't there to be picked up.
Boyfriend she was calling didn't answer.... yet she was headed out to see him?

But it only says they found A KEY, NOT keys.

The key at the house was a car key.

They did not find her house keys with it.

Maybe She simply decided she no longer needed her car key after the wreck and took it off her key chain. She packed her house keys in her overnight bag? Figured she would leave the car key? Why? So someone at the apt maybe offered to move the car for her?

My car key isn't on the same ring as my house keys; they kept catching on my knee when I was driving, plus I didn't want to keep taking keys on and off if I was going somewhere and not taking the car.

Also, I've just read that Begay-Barakzai was from a Navajo reservation and attended Tempe to go to school.

I'm fearing that maybe Barakzai met George at a college party as well...

Not trying to stereotype, but I remember at the parties many times kids from the reservations would come in and drink for the first time in their lives. They were able to be manipulated in these inebriated states.

Perhaps this is George's MO of kidnapping women if it is indeed true Begay-Barakzai was a missing person long before her death. He goes to parties and abducts when the women are drunk?

Hope for Adrienne!

Trying to quote a post, but something is acting up with WS. Here is the quote that caught my attention:

"Simon said his son called Salinas at 5:04 a.m. and 5:05 a.m. to make sure she was headed to the gas station. He said at 5:06 a.m., Salinas called his son, saying she'd be there in a minute. Then he called Salinas at 5:07 a.m. looking for her, but the phone went to voicemail."

Does that sound really extra special hinkey to anyone else? Whatever happened to her happened in 1 minute? REALLY???? Does anyone honestly believe that, or have I seen so many of these cases that I'm just hopelessly jaded and cynical?

One more post for the day and please forgive me if I am posting too frequently but my thoughts are racing at this time and I want to throw them out there just in case anything sticks.

More and more I am leaning toward the possibility that Adrienne might have taken a different course than anyone can imagine.

Even if we know what time certain calls were made and can speculate as to where she was within certain time frames and we know she had an argument with her b/f, etc. we sill don't know exactly what was in her mind.

That is what is SOOO missing.

What was Adrienne Salinas thinking?

Also, I've just read that Begay-Barakzai was from a Navajo reservation and attended Tempe to go to school.

I'm fearing that maybe Barakzai met George at a college party as well...

Not trying to stereotype, but I remember at the parties many times kids from the reservations would come in and drink for the first time in their lives. They were able to be manipulated in these inebriated states.

Perhaps this is George's MO of kidnapping women if it is indeed true Begay-Barakzai was a missing person long before her death. He goes to parties and abducts when the women are drunk?

Hope for Adrienne!

Or drugs them somehow.

WOW! WideOpen! That's some really good work you did in putting together the fact that she could have already been in the cab before those calls were made and that perhaps the last text to the b/f could have been made after she was already in the cab.

So in your opinion you think the cabbie could have done something to her?

Is this why you stated that the 'college kids trust their cab drivers'?

It does seem strange that the LE would search the cabbie's home and also take a DNA from him if it is true he is not a suspect.

Very interesting post! Great to have an experienced cabbie's opinion! :)

Still holding out hope.

In the video link of the cabbie's father, he states the call came in at 4:23 and the closest driver was about 20 mins away. I do believe this statement. Cabs are very time conscious. We keep detailed logs for the most part but they can be fudged or altered. By state law we are required to log, pick-up and pick-up time/number of passengers/drop off location and drop time/ and fare charged. (I suppose states can vary in required logs)

Most young people who drink/party depend on their driver. That is more of what I mean. But they do trust us, when they call they know us or their friends know us and have used us. They know when we say we will be there in 20 mins we are there and we TAKE CARE OF THEM, get them home safely, and there is a professional and friendly relationship. Many of our customers are repeats or will be repeats of a particular company they use frequently.

So had AS used this company before? Is this company used by the Tempe area college age bar crowd?

I am not sure if I think the cabbie did anything to AS/ I am saying the timeline is screwy imo but it stands out the text to AS boyfriend is reported about the same time the cabbie should have been picking her up.

just throwing my opinion and experience out there for all to ponder.

jmo

I am leaning towards the cab being called to cast suspicion away from someone else.
Red herring... perhaps

It reeks of accidental death and an attempt at a cover up.
Wrecking the car was the first attempt
calling a cab the second?
jmo

How common is it for a cabbie to call someone he is picking up? Why did he have her phone number in the first place? He talked to her at 5:06 and she said she would be there in a minute. He got there at 5:07 and she was never seen again and her phone was dead a mere one minute after their convo.

????????????

I am hesitant to post the actual address of the apartment complex, but it is between where her car was found and the AM/PM she planned to meet the cab at. All of the locations in the case are equally as strange to me.

In regards to George, I doubt he was at the party. My initial reaction is that he and Adrienne seem to be from far too different of crowds and I don't feel like he could had just walked through the door (the apartments are not large and I truly feel he would had been noticed) I also believe that some sort of connection would had been clarified if this was the case. The timelines in the cases do line up so that it is plausible that George was in Adrienne's area during the time. It would only take 10-15 minutes to get from Baseline/Rural to Hardy/University. I find that such an odd coincidence, especially if Begay's body was found shortly after being left. A lot would have to line up to tie the two cases together, but I really feel it shouldn't be counted out. With the statement that Begay's death was brutal and the way the body was disposed of, I find it hard to believe that George would be experiencing fear or remorse. My knowledge regarding Begay is only what I've seen in the news.

MissDemeanor, is this the runaway you turned up? If so, this girl is only 16, Annovedwin was identified as being 23. I do see some resemblance, however. Strange in correlation with the fact that I find very little regarding an "Annovedwin Begay-Barakzai" on the web, aside from her case. One of her public posts on her facebook, however, states that she was spending time with a brother. Maybe I'm reading into it too much, but we could take this piece of info to her thread.

Very interesting that Adrienne had a collapsed lung. Wouldn't she had to have sustained some sort of trauma, especially at such a young age? I am very curious about the cause- maybe abuse? Perhaps the relationship with her boyfriend was more tumultuous than I originally believed. That information could provide a lead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mwaggoner16