Identified! AZ - Coconino Co, 'Valentine Sally' WhtFem 585UFAZ, 14-19, along I-40, Feb'82 -Carolyn Celeste Eaton

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Hey guys! Just wanna say that Norma Jean Halford, Marla Mullins and Connie Gail Minchaca were submitted as potential identities for Sally!

Just passing the information, I’ll let you know if LE made a match or ruled them out, for now, let’s keep our fingers crossed!

Also, does anyone know if the waitress remembers the UID wearing the same clothes that were found at the crime scene? I’m kinda lost if she positively said that it was the same girl based on her physical description or if it was consistent with her clothes besides her overall appearance.

Hey guys! Just wanna say that Norma Jean Halford, Marla Mullins and Connie Gail Minchaca were submitted as potential identities for Sally!
I am so happy to hear this, I spoke with Chuck Jones at the Coconino County Sheriffs office about Connie Gail Minchaca back in January! It is so amazing to see she is now being considered

I am so happy to hear this, I spoke with Chuck Jones at the Coconino County Sheriffs office about Connie Gail Minchaca back in January! It is so amazing to see she is now being considered

It’s great to see that your tip might bring her identity back, let’s hope for a development ;)

Any updates? I personally think that Norma Jean Halford matches pretty well.

75380083_10221189689348817_4205389602648752128_o.jpg

She was living with Vincent Darrell Groves, at the time who could have been identified as the second black man who was with her at the truck stop diner.

"A waitress at Ashfork, AZ's Monte Carlo Truck Stop reported seeing her on or around February 4. She claimed that the girl, who appeared to be 16-17 years old, had entered the diner around 4 A.M., with a black male and a white man."

AP12030706064.jpg

The identity of the first one sounds like Royal Russell Long. Both men were later convicted of several kidnapping and murder cases...

"According to the witnesses, one of the men seen with her was white and around 60 to 65 years old. He stood between 5’8″ and 5’10” and appeared to be of medium weight. He had been wearing a two-toned brown checkered leather vest and a felt cowboy hat with a peacock feather stuck to it."

royalrusselllong.jpg

Attachments

• AP12030706064.jpg
    AP12030706064.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 51
  • royalrusselllong.jpg
    royalrusselllong.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:

View attachment 212572

She was living with Vincent Darrell Groves, at the time who could have been identified as the second black man who was with her at the truck stop diner.

"A waitress at Ashfork, AZ's Monte Carlo Truck Stop reported seeing her on or around February 4. She claimed that the girl, who appeared to be 16-17 years old, had entered the diner around 4 A.M., with a black male and a white man."

View attachment 212575

The identity of the first one sounds like Royal Russell Long. Both men were later convicted of several kidnapping and murder cases...

"According to the witnesses, one of the men seen with her was white and around 60 to 65 years old. He stood between 5’8″ and 5’10” and appeared to be of medium weight. He had been wearing a two-toned brown checkered leather vest and a felt cowboy hat with a peacock feather stuck to it."

View attachment 212576

Seems to be promising, i'm unaware if LE is investigating this possible connection, how old was Royal?

Was looking up info regarding valentine Sally comparing the sketch of the man who was last scene to the photograph of killer Royal Russel Long's hat looks very similar and to be honest the sketch of the man last scene with her is horrible just my opinion . It is around the same time frame and the idea that he was a trucker and traveled around a lot . They did state there might be more victims . Was Valentine Sally picked up at a rodeo or such ?

Hoping this case gets solved jane and john doe cases always leave an impression on me .

I apricate all the work that DNA doe project does and hoping that a lot more of these cases

get solved .Valentine Sally

View attachment 212572

View attachment 212575

View attachment 212576
Royal Russell Long definitely could have been in the area. He had a huge area in which he killed, stretching from New Mexico to Oklahoma, the time frame also makes this possible

Was Valentine Sally picked up at a rodeo or such ?

I doubt it. We typically don't have rodeos in January or February in Arizona. It's too cold here and generally our fairs are in May or September. I'm not saying it's not possible, but it's unlikely I think. They were headed towards Flagstaff from the west which indicates to me that she could have been picked up in Las Vegas or Southern California. Based on her clothing style I'd say SoCal would make sense. She was found with a sweater that looked really thin. She could have also been hitchhiking from the Phoenix area as well.

I doubt it. We typically don't have rodeos in January or February in Arizona. It's too cold here and generally our fairs are in May or September. I'm not saying it's not possible, but it's unlikely I think. They were headed towards Flagstaff from the west which indicates to me that she could have been picked up in Las Vegas or Southern California. Based on her clothing style I'd say SoCal would make sense. She was found with a sweater that looked really thin. She could have also been hitchhiking from the Phoenix area as well.

A female hitchhiker matching the UID’s description was picked up in Cordes Junction by a driver on his way to Flagstaff. The UID mentioned to the driver that she was living in Phoenix. Valentine Sally

It says he was born in 1936, so when her body was discovered he would have been in his mid 40s. But he definitely looked quite a bit older than that.

Well, even in the photos of the trial from 85’ and if the year of his birth is accurate, then he could’ve been mistaken as a forty-something man, when I first saw his photos from the trial, he looked as a fifty-something man

I noticed Ellen Linda Akers mentioned upthread but not discussed much further. FWIW, I agree with the poster’s (Sorry! I forget now who mentioned her) observations! I went searching for any other photos of Ellen (I didn’t think she appeared to have strawberry blond hair - I still don’t) and I found one photo. And an additional version of the photo seen on all her MP profiles...

It may be worth noting that although the ‘find a grave’ website lists her place of birth as being Florida, she was actually born in San Francisco, California. So she may have still had ties to there at the time of her disappearance. (Just speculation and my own theory)

(per Ancestry)
Name: Ellen L Akers
Birth Date: 26 Feb 1966
Mother's Maiden Name: Defilipp
Birth County: San Francisco

6B9DE0A1-6A2B-43B6-8344-D8116B9DC4A5.jpeg
Find A Grave - Ellen Linda Akers

3D6ADC20-E599-4094-A09D-673C7ADD9907.jpeg
Name: Linda Akers
Yearbook Date: 1980
School: Gibbs High School
School Location: St Petersburg, Florida, USA

For comparison, here is Ellen’s information per The Doe Network... (VS’s stats in parenthesis)

Name: Ellen Linda Akers
Missing Since: April 19, 1981
Location Last Seen: Ormond Beach, Volusia County, Florida (Coconino Co., Arizona)

Date of Birth: February 26, 1966
Race: White (White)
Height: 5'4" (5’4 - 5’5”)
Weight: 125 lbs. (120 - 125 lbs.)
Hair Color: Sandy blonde, shoulder-length. (Strawberry blond)
Eye Color: Green (Unknown - possibly blue)
Distinguishing Marks/Features: Unknown

Dentals: Available. Extensive dental work, fillings and a crown.
Fingerprints: Not available
DNA: Available

*ETA: corrected est. age range for VS

Attachments

• 007E4527-8BC5-42AE-96CE-BC9BB3501126.jpeg
    007E4527-8BC5-42AE-96CE-BC9BB3501126.jpeg
    42.1 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
15 comparisons/exclusions
NAMUS
Case # Name DLC County State
MP1276 Carol Lubahn 03/30/1981 Los Angeles CA
MP5860 Marie Blee 11/21/1979 Routt CO
MP2547 Kim Larrow 06/08/1981 Wayne MI
MP6985 Teresa HAMMON 05/08/1981 Sacramento CA
MP26896 Phyllis Brewer 06/13/1981 Mahoning OH
MP5308 Melinda Creech 09/05/1979 Madison IN
MP6307 Mary Jo Long 12/27/1981 Los Angeles CA
MP1689 April Zane 04/18/1977 Will IL
MP1569 Eleanor Parker 11/10/1981 East Baton Rouge LA
MP33753 Eva Ridall 05/01/1977 Manatee FL
MP6264 Charlotte Kinsey 09/25/1981 Oklahoma OK
MP14872 Dena McHan 12/06/1981 San Joaquin CA
MP3855 Dorothy Clitheroe 09/20/1973 Maricopa AZ
MP4575 Amy Yachimec 11/06/1981 Maricopa AZ
MP15075 Diane Webb 05/06/1959 Maricopa AZ

View attachment 212572

View attachment 212575

View attachment 212576
This actually looks very promising to me.

Hello guys,

I've submitted Ellen's tip and Phyllis Brewer to the Coconino Sheriff's Office.

Hopefully we might get a reply from them so the case can be propelled once again.

I've been thinking a lot about Sally lately, praying that her identity is uncovered.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
forensicsdropout
Back