Identified! AZ - Coconino Co, 'Valentine Sally' WhtFem 585UFAZ, 14-19, along I-40, Feb'82 -Carolyn Celeste Eaton

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Somebody on Reddit made the case that her murderer could have been Royal Russell Long, a trucker who was active at the time and known to pick up young girls. The photos of Long seem to match the description provided by the waitress Patty Wilkins. She should be shown the photos and videos like this. Not a pleasant twist but I'd say it is very possible if not likely. Long pled guilty to kidnapping in a 1985 New Mexico case and died of a heart attack in prison

I find it strange too. And how, within 2 months, she seemed to be quite comfortable with the man who was accompanying her - normally people aren't comfortable being around complete strangers. Even weirder was how the man seemingly cared for her, even asking about her tooth....we know this man can't be Carolyn's father, so who was he?
I think I missed something... what did he ask about her tooth?

I'm happy that Carolyn's family got her child's name back and that LE is satisfied by identifying our formerly known UID.

I'm also happy for Patty Wilkins, who cared for Carolyn and her wellbeing in the few time she spent at her truck stop, it was such a kind gesture the fact that Patty paid for a tombstone for her.

Somebody on Reddit made the case that her murderer could have been Royal Russell Long, a trucker who was active at the time and known to pick up young girls. The photos of Long seem to match the description provided by the waitress Patty Wilkins. She should be shown the photos and videos like this. Not a pleasant twist but I'd say it is very possible if not likely. Long pled guilty to kidnapping in a 1985 New Mexico case and died of a heart attack in prison

I agree, RRL bears a resemblance to the main suspect, he travelled through I-40 and i think that was the same highway he travelled when he abducted Cinda and Charlotte back in September of 1981.

I wonder if Patty has seen the photos of him, though i think that she would have seen him in the 1985 court hearings.

Thank goodness I'm not alone! But, I guess we'll wait for possible further information from LE.
Thank goodness I'm not alone! But, I guess we'll wait for possible further information from LE.
I wonder if CCPD is going to do a livestream with Carolyn's information.

I think I missed something... what did he ask about her tooth?

I remember reading that Carolyn had a toothache, and that the man was concerned about her pain.

According to Patty, Carolyn was 'very comfortable' being with the man, as if the man was a relative of hers.

I remember reading that Carolyn had a toothache, and that the man was concerned about her pain.

According to Patty, Carolyn was 'very comfortable' being with the man, as if the man was a relative of hers.
I think that he was Royal Russell Long, maybe he made Carolyn feel comfortable enough, perhaps he promised her to get her to New Jersey and some sort of dental attention for her tooth. JMO

Now, as many questions are there are in this case, I honestly wonder how the heck poor Carolyn got from Missouri to Arizona in less than 2 months? I know anything is possible here (e.g. Sumter County Does), but this was a teenager.
IMO
Yes, the first thing I thought when reading that is how is far Walker County Jane Doe really from home.

Last edited:
St. Louis teen’s body identified in 40-year-old Arizona cold-case | ksdk.com
f24340bf-171e-4c08-bc4a-374eb83f87c8_1920x1080.jpg

Glad she has her name back. So sad though, especially for Patricia Wilkins.

I do not find it unusual that a 17 year-old made her way from Missouri to Arizona. #1, the distance is not that great. #2, by 17, especially going back to the early 80s, most girls were pretty mature and savvy. I had friends who graduated early, moved out and had apartments at 17. I traveled alone and with friends at the same age. I had a car and a job.

There is mention of a college student giving her a ride shortly before she was seen with the older man in the truck stop. She might have made her initial way West with college students going back after Christmas break. I remember seeing "rideshares wanted" all the time when I was younger.

Maybe now that she has her name back, someone will come forward and remember giving her a ride or knows something helpful.

Here is a related video from a St. Louis newscast. It shows Carolyn's neighborhood in the St. Louis area, plus some comments from a former neighbor who remembers when Carolyn went missing. Apparently a runaway report was filed. But from the sounds of things it never turned into a missing persons report. Also another sad twist. The son of the current owner of Carolyn's old home was murdered in 2013. When the mother found about this solve it gave her hope toward her son's case being solved:

Arizona's 'Valentine Sally' identified as St. Louis County woman

Here is a related video from a St. Louis newscast. It shows Carolyn's neighborhood in the St. Louis area, plus some comments from a former neighbor who remembers when Carolyn went missing. Apparently a runaway report was filed. But from the sounds of things it never turned into a missing persons report. Also another sad twist. The son of the current owner of Carolyn's old home was murdered in 2013. When the mother found about this solve it gave her hope toward her son's case being solved:

Arizona's 'Valentine Sally' identified as St. Louis County woman

Thanks for the link!
It's great to see Patty happy that she learned that Carolyn was ID!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dmccastor
Back