Found Deceased AZ - Diana Zacarias, 22, Grand Canyon, 2 April 2016

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
IMO and from my experience hiking the canyon, I doubt there is much snatching by unsavory folks down there, but I am sure there is always the potential. IF she is down there, it's not good and they will either find her quickly or...

My guess (my hope, actually) is that she's not down there and did indeed catch a ride into Flagstaff.

Here is a trail map and lengths for day hikes on the Hermit trail. I have been to the Canyon a couple times. Took mules down once and hiked down some trails another time. Those trails that she could have gone on were fine to go by herself and certainly are day hikes so she wouldn't need to bring gear with her. (

The National Park Service suggests that Hermit Trail is not for the casual hiker alone and on a day trip with out gear- (water, changes of socks, good boots, mix of clothing for temperature changes, first aid kit, sleeping bags etc.). The trail is 9 miles long (18 miles round trip), so attempting that in a day is not possible for most people:
https://www.nps.gov/grca/planyourvisit/upload/Hermit_Trail.pdf

The old Hermit Trail is today a mere shadow of its former self, but for experienced, knowledgeable canyon backpackers the walk offers a direct link to the excitement and romance of the early days at Grand Canyon.
Of course the normal things, water...and knowing that it is much easier to go down then come up.When we took the mules down they told us story after story of people that needed to be rescued because they were hiking in sandals...didn't bring water...or didn't plan that it was harder to climb out of the trail then descend into it.
Very true.

For better or for worse, National Park officers are apparently not allowed to evaluate people's preperations, skills or levels of physical fitness. At some state parks in Texas, they will not give you a permit for say, rock climbing if they think you are not prepared or experienced enough.
I don't get the impression that she is an avid hiker, but there aren't many pictures that are viewable to the public. Also her outfit sounds more like something one would wear for sightseeing rather than serious hiking. Maybe she was only planning to do a portion of the trail, not necessarily the whole thing.

On the other hand, she might stick out around the area as being inexperienced in the outdoors, which could have made her an easy target for some unsavory individual.
IMO and from my experience hiking the canyon, I doubt there is much snatching by unsavory folks down there, but I am sure there is always the potential.
Very good points. She could have turned around and not attempted the whole trail. AzPistons Girl, did you see any local loiterers known to hang out on the trails looking for people to "help"? One would think it would not (too hard to casually access), but as both of you have said- you never know.

A friend of mine had a creepy experience in Oklahoma with some locals at a camp ground. The "friendly" but fogged group was walking around asking for alcohol and looking for parties that they could join. She got the impression that their moods and behaviors, however, could turn quickly. Fortuantely, nothing happened.

IMO and from my experience hiking the canyon, I doubt there is much snatching by unsavory folks down there, but I am sure there is always the potential. IF she is down there, it's not good and they will either find her quickly or...

My guess (my hope, actually) is that she's not down there and did indeed catch a ride into Flagstaff.

My thought on unsavory characters was not someone she encountered down in the canyon, but somebody she met in the village or on the shuttle that offered to show her around or give her a private tour of the best places, etc. As a woman who has traveled alone extensively, I have encountered more than my fair share of men all too willing to "help" the single female adventurer.

The reports were that she was in Flagstaff on Friday and took the shuttle to the canyon on Saturday. Of course, she could have left the canyon and returned to Flagstaff, but that doesn't change that she is missing. I certainly hope she is just off on an adventure.

My thought on unsavory characters was not someone she encountered down in the canyon, but somebody she met in the village or on the shuttle that offered to show her around or give her a private tour of the best places, etc. As a woman who has traveled alone extensively, I have encountered more than my fair share of men all too willing to "help" the single female adventurer.
I think you have some good insights regarding where a perpetrator would most likely be. Gosh, I want to jump on a plane to Arizona and volunteer to help where ever they need me. I know its not that simple though. That aside, I think we can list the possibilities as:

1. She met somebody on the trail (less likely)
2. She has encountered natural hazards on the trail (a relatively good possibility)
3. She started down the trail, then took a recommended turn around. She then met somebody on the shuttle or back at the village. (more likely?)

Isn't there an Indian (Havasaupi) village / settlement somewhere at the bottom of the canyon? I wonder if she could have walked all the way down, then realized that she could not walk back up and went to the settlement to ask for help?

Regarding the "met somebody" possibility, it could be divided into:
a. Local lowlife (seems more likely as predators usually victimize people in areas they know and are familiar with). The remoteness and sparse population of the area might help investigators as the names, habits, cars and residences of the local losers could be known to all. .
b. Hiker / tourist predator

My family & I are in AZ this week (kids spring break). We were at the Grand Canyon today. I came to WS, to see if this young lady was still missing- I only saw 1 missing persons poster for her today. It was located near the ice cream shop in the village- no posters on any shuttles or shuttle stops ...
Each shuttle we took today was FULL (we stood on each & every ride, as all seats were taken). There were quite a few college age kids who were camping... Could she have met a new friend/s and decided to camp with them? Possibly not knowing that she's "missing"? I pray it's something like that, or that she did go into Flagstaff. The thought of her being alone in that vast canyon is just more than I can bear... It's truly an amazing site to see... But it also terrifies me to think of someone hiking alone - regardless of hiking skills. (Mama bear in me, I guess).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Isn't there an Indian (Havasaupi) village / settlement somewhere at the bottom of the canyon? I wonder if she could have walked all the way down, then realized that she could not walk back up and went to the settlement to ask for help?

NPS camping and a lodge at the canyon floor, if she reached the river there could be rafters, but IDK the season?

https://www.nps.gov/grca/planyourvisit/lodging.htm#CP_JUMP_1968001

I've stayed in the Bright Angel Lodge. My grandfather was in the Park Service; the first female Ranger/Naturalist and a former Superintendent of Grand Canyon National Park attended my wedding. The house wasn't finished when they moved in, stone masons were building it....

My family & I are in AZ this week (kids spring break). We were at the Grand Canyon today. I came to WS, to see if this young lady was still missing- I only saw 1 missing persons poster for her today. It was located near the ice cream shop in the village- no posters on any shuttles or shuttle stops ...
Each shuttle we took today was FULL (we stood on each & every ride, as all seats were taken). There were quite a few college age kids who were camping... Could she have met a new friend/s and decided to camp with them? Possibly not knowing that she's "missing"?

In my mind (having never been there), I was picturing near empty shuttles occupied only by hard core hikers. As such, she would have stood out more.

I cant believe there is only one poster up! That is totally inexcusable. I mean how much effort would it take to post them all over the south rim? Posters could then be distributed them to mule guides and more adventuresome hiking groups going into the canyon and ask them to post them at all the water areas, camp grounds, etc.

I think you have a good possibility about joining another group, and not realizing she is missing. At the same time, several days have passed. This would indicate that she joined a group of serious hikers looking to spend not one night, but several nights in the canyon. Such a group would be less likely to take on a person who did not have preperations of their own.

The NPS people need to make a comprehensive search now. She is not a chronic run away prone to drifting off for periods of time. Something is very wrong.
NPS camping and a lodge at the canyon floor, if she reached the river there could be rafters, but IDK the season?

I've stayed in the Bright Angel Lodge. My grandfather was in the Park Service; the first female Ranger/Naturalist and a former Superintendent of Grand Canyon National Park attended my wedding. The house wasn't finished when they moved in, stone masons were building it....
That must have been some neat experiences. Do you know if there are any groups of squatters in the canyon? I dont think there would be- too hard to "unsquat" and get supplies. At the same time, when I lived in California, some of the National Forests were famous / infamous for having them.

As for rafters, that is a good point. Is this a rainy season where the river is too dangerous to raft? If not, I could see a rafting guide noting a girl lost and looking fatigued on the shore, then inviting her to join the raft rather than trying to walk back up. Even then, she would have "popped out" by now and hopefully other rafters would have reported picking up a stranded girl and also if anybody took an inordinate interest in her during the pick up.

In my mind (having never been there), I was picturing near empty shuttles occupied only by hard core hikers. As such, she would have stood out more.

I cant believe there is only one poster up! That is totally inexcusable. I mean how much effort would it take to post them all over the south rim? Posters could then be distributed them to mule guides and more adventuresome hiking groups going into the canyon and ask them to post them at all the water areas, camp grounds, etc.

I know, I couldn't believe I only saw 1 poster.
There is the possibility that they won't allow many posters.... Due to worry that they'll blow away...? I'm not really sure. It seems they could put them at the front of each shuttle bus, near where the driver is... So that the hundreds of tourists can see.

The shuttles were extremely full, as were the parking lots. One thing I was thinking last night, was that if she got returned from her hike after dark & alone... That could be super scary. There's not any parking lot lights (if you can't find your car, you can call a ranger & they'll come & help you).

Also in regards to possibly meeting up with new friends... I did notice that A LOT of the young college age kids, we're not particularly dressed (wearing sandals, etc.) for an intense hike, nor did they have hiking gear. I guess they could've been on an easy hike- but I could hear them chatting about camping, etc. it worried me that they seemed unprepared. But again... Mama Bear.

Praying the searches are fruitful today!!

I know, I couldn't believe I only saw 1 poster. There is the possibility that they won't allow many posters.... Due to worry that they'll blow away...? I'm not really sure.

The shuttles were extremely full, as were the parking lots. One thing I was thinking last night, was that if she got returned from her hike after dark & alone... That could be super scary. There's not any parking lot lights (if you can't find your car, you can call a ranger & they'll come & help you).

Also in regards to possibly meeting up with new friends... I did notice that A LOT of the young college age kids, we're not particularly dressed (wearing sandals, etc.) for an intense hike, nor did they have hiking gear. I guess they could've been on an easy hike- but I could hear them chatting about camping, etc. it worried me that they seemed unprepared.

Gosh, this is starting to sound like a miniature spring break. The casually dressed college aged camping hikers might have intended to camp along rim trail (or maybe their definition of camping might be a rim hike, then watch the sun go down on the rim, then head home).

Another poster mentioned that mule guides told him that only a small percentage of the visitors actually venture into the canyon. Other sources I have read said that some designated camp sites in the canyon must be reserved months in advance wich would seem that they cater to the more dedicated hikers.

I really think the family needs to do some very fast research on how the National Park Service is orgainized (by region, or state?). Then, they need to fly to the Grand Canyon ASAP and talks to canyon park managers in person. Then another persistent family member flies to where ever the next higher orgainization level is and refuses to leave until they get to talk to a senior staff member. My guess is that more posters would go up fast. Likewise, the investigation would probably move from "Oh Hum, another hung over day tripper." to "Oh no! the Regional Director is involved".

Gosh, this is starting to sound like a miniature spring break. The casually dressed college aged camping hikers might have intended to camp along rim trail (or maybe their definition of camping might be a rim hike, then watch the sun go down on the rim, then head home).

Another poster mentioned that mule guides told him that only a small percentage of the visitors actually venture into the canyon. Other sources I have read said that some designated camp sites in the canyon must be reserved months in advance wich would seem that they cater to the more dedicated hikers.

I really think the family needs to do some very fast research on how the National Park Service is orgainized (by region, or state?). Then, they need to fly to the Grand Canyon ASAP and talks to canyon park managers in person. Then another persistent family member flies to where ever the next higher orgainization level is and refuses to leave until they get to talk to a senior staff member. My guess is that more posters would go up fast. Likewise, the investigation would probably move from "Oh Hum, another hung over day tripper." to "Oh no! the Regional Director is involved".

I agree! I'm hoping the family is able to get "boots on the ground". The South Rim is a huge area too. I just looked again at the pocket map of Hermits Rest & it seems Diana would've had to take a shuttle to get to that area to actually hike. It states that Hermit road (where all of the lookout/hiking trails in Hermits Rest go off of) is "closed to private vehicles March 1- Nov 30). Which it sounds like she was planning to be hiking solo & didn't have a car parked somewhere.
Within Hermits Rest there are 8-9 diff lookouts, that the shuttles stop at. However, to get back to the Village or Visitors Center you'd have to go to at least stop #3 on the Hermits rest shuttle (heading west) to get back onto another shuttle in order to head back east to the Village or visitors center. (Apologies if this is super confusing... It's difficult to explain/understand without looking at the map & shuttle bus map). I believe the last shuttle back from Hermits Rest to the Village and Visitors Center is approx 1 hr after sunset. So if she'd come up to one of the stops after that time, she'd have had to walk back to wherever she was planning. Again, there are no street or parking lot lights. So without a flashlight, this could be scary & is incredibly worrisome to me. Add in the various wildlife...
With that said, we saw a TON of deer & elk, birds, squirrels, etc. but did not see any mountain lions, snakes etc.
however- I'm 100% sure they're there!

Really hoping & praying D's family & friends can get to the Canyon. With this week being spring break for many students, the place is packed. It would be so helpful to utilize those who are already hiking, etc. to keep their eyes out. But to do that, they've got to know someone is missing. Something that I honestly didn't feel was known to many at all - due to the 1 poster. Also all of the shuttle drivers chat on the PA system, pointing out wildlife, what can be seen & done at the next lookout point. It'd be awesome if they could just mention Diana upon each new shuttle. That with a poster in the front of the bus, could reach thousands who are hiking, biking, camping etc.

I don't think there's much risk of attack by a human predator in GCNP - for some reason human predators stick very much to towns and cities. I'm much more concerned about the natural hazards if she did indeed attempt the Hermit Trail: for example, if the trail was too tricky in some spot, going the wrong way, taking an apparent short-cut or "easier" way round can lead to a serious fall, and the trail wouldn't be very much used this time of year. Here's a video that gives a taste of how footsure one needs to be on this trail - I think just trying to walk and videotape at the same time is actually quite risky. [video=youtube;cc2BYjhT5y4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cc2BYjhT5y4"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cc2BYjhT5y4[/video]

According to her aunt on Facebook they think she was hiking the Hermit Trail on Saturday, April 2 between 10:00 am and 2:00 pm. Here it is on a map: https://www.google.com/maps/place/H...2!3m1!1s0x873317cb11277cdb:0x17540b71c0dfca39

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hermit_Trail

There is also an unconfirmed report that she took a shuttle to Flagstaff on Friday.

See visitor posts on this page: https://www.facebook.com/Missing-Person-Alert-Page-247088125340367/

The family has done some posting on Arizona hiking pages. https://www.facebook.com/Arizona.Trail.Association/?pnref=lhc

I'm sure I'm missing something, but it says here that she was seen April 1 on the shuttle from the Grand Canyon to Flagstaff Amtrack station. But then they said she was hiking on April 2 at the Grand Canyon. So did she go to the Amtrack then return to the Grand Canyon the following day? TIA anyone.

There was more info released after I made that post. http://www.katc.com/story/31660886/search-continues-for-missing-louisiana-woman-at-grand-canyon and https://www.nps.gov/orgs/1563/missing-person-at-grand-canyon.htm

It looks like she went to Flagstaff on Friday and then took the Arizona Shuttle to the "South Rim on Saturday and was dropped off at the Maswick Lodge". Once there "she's believed to have visited Yaki Point and Lookout Studio". It was her aunt that reported that she was hiking the Hermit Trail, apparently because that is what she told somebody she was doing via telephone or text message.

The search continues this morning: Search continues for Natchitoches woman missing at Grand Canyon

Here is the link to the map I made. I don't know why some people were having problems accessing it.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=z2VLvG6QAl8U.kOIhVyVzMfrQ&usp=sharing

Here is the link to the map I made. I don't know why some people were having problems accessing it.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=z2VLvG6QAl8U.kOIhVyVzMfrQ&usp=sharing
Thanks for the map. It looks like the Look Out studio and Maswick Lodge are the most developed areas where somebody would more likely notice either an accidental fall over an edge. Yaki Point is less developed, but frequently visited. Hermit Trail is more remote.

I think a key piece of information might be whether she hiked from the lodge / Lookout Studio area to the Hermit area, or she took a shuttle. Hiking along the rim would increase the chances of her meeting a fellow hiker, or impulsively getting too close to a less visited rim and falling over with out anybody noticing.

I think it is also important to find out whether she went down into the canyon using the Hermit Trail. Hopefully,extensive inquiries are being made on hiking, backpacking, outdoors, and wilderness guide forums. I have a strong feeling that the number of hikers declines exponentially the deeper one goes into the canyon. As such, a lone girl should stand out more.

If she never went into the canyon, then perhaps the rim areas in the Hermit area would be the best search area?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FastRayne
Back