AZ AZ - Donald Shelenberger, 35, Pima County, 3 July 1994

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
It looks like, according to Ancestry, that Cyrus was born in PA in 1836-37. The 1920 census lists him in Redlands, CA. This Cyrus is listed as a widow in 1920; his wifes name was Mary. There is another Cyrus who lived in Heuneme/Ventura CA in 1900; his wifes name was Sarah and he was born May 1936. No children listed for either. I am not finding the Cyrus in Pima Country. I did, however, find a Charles Shellenberger born Nov 1864 who lived in Prescott in 1900. He was a boarder in someone else's house. I did find a Clyde Shellenberger from Pima County; born 1885 in PA, lived with wife Jane in Pima County per 1910 census. (Jane was born in Ireland). I found another Clyde O. SHellenberger born in Missouri in 1897, died in Colorado Springs in 1937--no indication that he lived in AZ. He has family to this day in Colorado Springs. This Clyde had three daughters though, so none of their last names would be Shellenberger, thus their children would not be Shellenbergers (the last name). Clyde also only had a 1/2 sister, when she married she became McKane, and moved to OK. It looks like Clydes family progression was PA to IL to MO, MO to CO. There is another Shellenberger family from PA that went straight to CO; Charles Nell Shellenberger. He only had one son, one daughter; his son only had a daughter---end of name line there. Charles father, Henry, had lots of siblings but they either did in childhood, had no children, or were girls who did not carry on the family name. They also all remained in PA.

There was a Chesley and Jeanette Shellenberger who came from Colorado Springs to AZ, but they continued on to and died in Alameda, CA. No children listed.

James Shellenberger from Nebraska died in Prescott, AZ in 1920, but it appears he moved to AZ when he was older, no children followed.

Oh--I found Cyrus Shellenbergers info: No birthdate or place, but lived in Michigan as of 1900 census. He lived in Tucson as of his death in 1977; no children listed--his wife was Josephine (no maiden name). His parents were born and died in Michigan, so he must have also been born there. All of Cyrus' siblings died in Michigan. His grandfather was from PA.

I am not finding a connection from Donald to any of these people with the two L's.

With one L I only find three things: Two are Donalds address info for Tucson; the third is for a J. A. Shelenberger from Nebraska, born 1866, who in Miller Valley, Yavapai, AZ in 1920. He was a widow, and was in jail--he is listed as an inmate. No other family info except that his father was from Iowa. That is the ONLY info I am finding for Shelenbergers and AZ. I do not even see Mark Shelenberger listed in Ancestry for AZ; just a Shellenberger, so I really think Shellenberger is the correct spelling for Mark, but not for Donald.

Julessleuther, you're using the fee based portion of Intelius and Peoplefinders right? Because it will only tell me there are 3 Don Shelenbergers in AZ, but won't give the particulars unless I pay the fee.

Also listed is a Mark Shelenberger, in Globe, AZ, but when I do a web search for a person with that name in Globe, AZ all sites refer to him as Mark Shellenberger.

Is there anyway to trace DK Shelenberger by his birthdate only through Ancestry?

See what you can find in the line of Cyrus Shellenberger listed in 1910 and 1920 on the US census for Pima County. Can you update that to the next couple of generations? I looked this guy up, but can't remember if he and his wife had any children listed. It seems like at least one of those years they were the only 2 in the household.

You are correct Just thinkin, there are Shelenbergers in Indiana. A David Shelenberger came from Germany to Indiana in 1849. He has several children, but only one boy to carry on the family name--also a David; he had several children, but no indication that any of them went to AZ or are related to Donald. Ancestry will not list first names of living people, so perhaps he is listed in a family tree, but since he may still be declared living, there is no indication of which family is his. Also no indication of a Powell connection yet.

Shellenberger and Shelenberger could possibly be the same family.
Way back when, when most people couldn't read or write, it was left to the church(MOST OF THE TIME) to signed the X for the people.
How a name is spelled had ALMOST everything to do with the priest in that community.

If the priest was English, Italian, German, Spanish, French, etc......HE SPELLED IT AS HE HEARD IT.

just a example:

Mellanson
Melanson
Melancon
Melaison

Shellenberger and Shelenberger could possibly be the same family.
Way back when, when most people couldn't read or write, it was left to the church(MOST OF THE TIME) to signed the X for the people.
How a name is spelled had ALMOST everything to do with the priest in that community.

If the priest was English, Italian, German, Spanish, French, etc......HE SPELLED IT AS HE HEARD IT.

just a example:

Mellanson
Melanson
Melancon
Melaison

Carolwood, you are correct, and I'm glad you brought that up. There was a period in our history when many couldn't read or write. You might be a Shelenberger in this century, but in the last your family may have been Shellenberger. Or for that matter, a person could've been a Shellenberger in one county, and the next county over, his relatives were Shelenbergers.

I'm not so concerned about the spelling of the last name, myself. I just want to be able to rule out or rule in Shelenberger here as a possible match.

Julessleuther's done a fine job of tracking Shellenbergers/Shelenbergers down, but we still don't even know if this Donald is related to the others with the same spelling.

I sure hope I hear back from the detective tomorrow. If I don't, she will be getting a call on Tuesday.

Well this is not helpful, but here is what I got back from detective Crehan:

"I am currently looking into this, a couple of things:

He has no MVD photo on file

I do not show law enforcement contact that would result in fingerprints
being on file

No DNA

No leads on dental records

No definite physical descriptors such as tattoos, etc.

However, I did talk to the original reportee and unfortunately, I cannot
relate what he told me but I can tell you that Donald Shelenberger's
disappearance is totally out of character with his daily work/leisure
habits. I am checking to see if there has been any further activity on
his SSN, etc.

Thanks for your help.

Robin

Det. M.R.Crehan 1268"

Well there you have it or we have it. I will write her back and ask about possible living relatives who maybe able to contribute via dna testing. If anyone has any other questions you think should be asked, fire away, and I'll add that in as well.

Donald Shellenberger:

What kind of work did he do?
Was he married?
Did he often go hiking?
Any criminal history?
Friend he went hiking with?
Male or female?
Did he actually go hiking and
disappear in the mountains or desert?
Or did he not show up
to start hiking?
Was it a day hike?
An over the 4th of July holiday hike?
Did he have a car? Is it missing?
Was there a search?

DNA to be done through
the police.
They get the DNA kits from Univ. of N. Texas.
Police do the dna swabs
and send it back to the
Texas lab.
https://www.findthemissing.org/homes/resources
'snipped'
The University of North Texas Health Science Center is coordinating with medical examiners' and coroners' offices, the Armed Forces DNA Identification Laboratory, the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children, the National Center for Missing Adults, and law enforcement agencies to identify, collect, and perform DNA analysis on unidentified remains and reference samples.
For more information, contact the Center for Human Identification at 1-800-763-3147 or missingpersons@hsc.unt.edu.
NamUs - DNA Protocol for Collection

more at link.

Any family information? Has anyone else besides the person who reported him missing contacted police...anyone from his family?

Whoa, Julessleuther, you're asking so many questions, though they're all pertinent. Let me go through them one at a time.

What kind of work did he do? Haven't asked, will do so.
Was he married? Don't think so, but will ask.
Did he often go hiking? Don't know.
Any criminal history? Don't know, but don't think so, but will ask again.
Friend he went hiking with? Nick Stroud
Male or female? Male
Did he actually go hiking and
disappear in the mountains or desert? No one knows if he changed his mind and decided to go alone.
Or did he not show up
to start hiking? Yes, this is what happened according to Stroud. Shelenberger never showed up to go on the hike.
Was it a day hike? Don't know.
An over the 4th of July holiday hike? Don't know.
Did he have a car? Is it missing? Don't know, but will ask.
Was there a search? Yes, extensive search turned up nothing.

I'm checking with the detective to see if there are any known living relatives who could provide this.

Any family information? Has anyone else besides the person who reported him missing contacted police...anyone from his family?

I'm not sure about this. When I asked about family members who'd been in contact with Pima County Sheriff's Office, the detective said, they hadn't heard from any relatives in awhile. That's the only statement about relatives she's made, but just a short while ago, I asked about known living relatives for the purposes of doing dna test.

Julessleuther, what is the date, address and phone number you have on that David Shelenberger or Shellenberger you found in Pima County? Is that current or did that date back to the mid 90s? You can PM me anything that shouldn't appear publicly, and I can forward it to the detective for her to check out locally.

Donald Shellenberger:
and
Who was the last person to talk with him?
What time was he last seen?
Was anything found at his house or in his car
that was suspicious?

Dream, another good question to ask. I presume the last person to talk to him was Stroud, but will seek clarification. They were to go hiking the next day. When Shelenberger didn't show up to go hiking, Stroud drove over to his place to check on him, and Shelenberger wasn't there or didn't answer the door. A couple of days passed, still no word from Shelenberger, so Stroud called the police.

The detective said an extensive search was done on Mt. Lemmon, and I believe she said it lasted 3 days with nary a trace.

Just looking: Here is the info: This address info is from 1993-1994.

The address was from 1993-94 and it is on ancestry. Peoplefinders.com and Intelius also list him.

Name:Donald K ShelenbergerAddress:1700 W Prince, Tucson, Arizona 85705-0501 (1993)
[Pob 44294, Tucson, Arizona 85733-0201 (1993)]
[5770 E 10th St #18, Tucson, Arizona 85711]

Name:Donald ShelenbergerAddress:4301 E 29Th StCity:TucsonState:ArizonaZip Code:85711Phone Number:602-750-1320Residence Years:1993 1994

Just to be clear--he definitely spells his name Shelenberger--these are public listings for him, so is most likely not related to the Shellenberger group.

Julessleuther, thanks for that info, but I was asking about the other Shelenberger or Shellenberger that you found living in Tucson, a brother perhaps. I think the guy's name was David.

Sent the info, but he is also listed on zabasearch. It appears that he lived in Sharon, PA in early 1989, and Durham, NC in 1993. He must have moved from NC to AZ in 1993.

Julessleuther, thanks for that info, but I was asking about the other Shelenberger or Shellenberger that you found living in Tucson, a brother perhaps. I think the guy's name was David.

I just noticed something upon enlarging Shelenberger's photo to a size I hadn't enlarged it to before. On his left jawline, he has a small circular indentation just like Ben has.

I will notifiy the detective in AZ about this. She has not responded to my last email which I sent asking all the questions some of you had wanted asked. At the time she had very little info, herself, to go on. I feel sure she will answer at least some of the questions when she has obtained the information. I will definitely follow up on this.

In addition Susie's surname could be her married name which means that any similarity in looks would have no biological basis. Plus, as she is a minister, it makes it much less likely that, if she were related to BK, he would be from a Catholic background - which is one thing he seems quite sure of.

Could be possible. One could have converted.
I know tons of people born one religion and are now something else

Based on what I found on ancestry, Shellenberger is Susie's maiden name.

Can anyone do a side by side of the photo of Ben with his full, dark beard and the photo of Shelenberger? Both men have what believe09 calls a bull neck as well.

I agree the nose is off, and the eyebrows on Shelenberger have a little more of an arch to them, but I still think he's Ben or Ben is he. On that same trio of photos of Ben, if you look at the one of him minus beard and mustache he has a little slanted crook on the corners of his mouth, most visible on the left. Shelenberger's mouth has that same little crook.

Does anyone else see the small indentation in Shelenberger's left jaw that I'm seeing? I think it matches up with Ben's and his recollection of an abcessed tooth.

The detective told me Shelenberger disappearing the way he did was very out of character for him.

Based on what I found on ancestry, Shellenberger is Susie's maiden name.

Susie appears to be everywhere online.

Susie teen magazine -
An ordained minister through the Church of Nazarene, Susie Shellenberger is an international speaker and an author of more than 40 books that have sold over 1.5 million copies combined. She served as a youth pastor and a high school teacher before starting Brio in 1990. Shellenberger has debated Dr. Ruth on Fox News and has been featured as a teen expert on “The Montel Show.” Her university alma mater named her “Woman of the Century” in 2000

Brio Magazine Facebook Page

FWIW, nothing mentions she is married or has children.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bill1620
Back