AZ - Isabel Mercedes Celis, 6, Tucson, 20 April 2012 - # 8

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
When I talk about a lack in coverage I mean several things. I do not mean that she isn't on Nancy Grace. Not too many people who aren't interested in these cases watch her show, and many who are interested in these cases don't watch her anyways. But, a quick update on CNN in the morning to cover the weekend updates isn't enough to reach potential witnesses. Every news outlet can write articles because they basically have an unlimited amount of space. Writing the article doesn't keep them from covering other stories too. But air time is important, and they will only give that to stories they think people are interested in. If the parents - or even grandparents, or a family spokesperson - would come out, and speak then Isabel would get more airtime. It would also mean local outlets outside of Arizona would be covering the story as well.

I agree that sometimes LE doesn't want the family to talk. But in this case LE has been pretty clear that they are okay with it.
If I were the family I would have an attorney spokesperson already, at the very least but the problem with that is most people assume guilt the moment someone hires an attorney, which, as an attorney myself really pisses me off.

I thought so too, at first. But when I went back and watched that video the 2nd time, I believe the reporter identified both boys as friends of Isa's brothers. I don't believe the one speaking was her brother, but I could be wrong.

I thought it was the brother of one of Isa's friends...

If I were the family I would have an attorney spokesperson already, at the very least but the problem with that is most people assume guilt the moment someone hires an attorney, which, as an attorney myself really pisses me off.

I agree! I would definitely have an attorney to help deal with everything. I try not to judge when families hire attorneys, because everyone - even the innocent - need to protect themselves from certain people out there.

When I talk about a lack in coverage I mean several things. I do not mean that she isn't on Nancy Grace. Not too many people who aren't interested in these cases watch her show, and many who are interested in these cases don't watch her anyways. But, a quick update on CNN in the morning to cover the weekend updates isn't enough to reach potential witnesses. Every news outlet can write articles because they basically have an unlimited amount of space. Writing the article doesn't keep them from covering other stories too. But air time is important, and they will only give that to stories they think people are interested in. If the parents - or even grandparents, or a family spokesperson - would come out, and speak then Isabel would get more airtime. It would also mean local outlets outside of Arizona would be covering the story as well.

I agree that sometimes LE doesn't want the family to talk. But in this case LE has been pretty clear that they are okay with it.

As an Italian I can tell you that Latino culture, like my own traditionally keeps things very close to the vest, they stress privacy and do not generally speak about things of this matter outside of the family and I would suspect that has some sort of bearing on why this family has remained out of the media spotlight, it just goes against everything one in that culture is raised to believe in.

I agree! I would definitely have an attorney to help deal with everything. I try not to judge when families hire attorneys, because everyone - even the innocent - need to protect themselves from certain people out there.

Absolutely, there is nothing wrong with having a professional who will fight for YOUR BEST INTEREST, on your side, innocent or otherwise. It is just the smart way to go. And it isnt a money issue, there are plenty of attorneys I know in Tucson who would handle this pro bono.

I can think of several reasons. They may be very private people and uncomfortable with answering dumb questions from reporters. And the info that the public needs to know, her description and the clothes she was wearing has already been put out by LE, no need to repeat it from the parents. They could go on camera every day and plead for her safe return, but I can't think of one abductor who ever released a child or brought them home because of a parent's tearful plea in the media, can you? And sadly, statistics say that by the time the parents speak out, it's too late, anyway, the child is already dead within a few hours after they were kidnapped.
Respectfully, it does not have to mean they're hiding something... although they could be... but there is no rule that says they have to speak out. And in following so many of these cases, I have come to believe that the less they say in public the better. Look how much criticism the parents have got so far just from that one appearance. Anything they say to the media is going to be sliced and diced to kingdom come, but it won't help find this little girl.

Their pleas may not affect the perpetrator, but might encourage other locals to join in the search. Seeing how distraught some parents seem in these situations makes me want to come out to help search. If they don't "touch me" with their words, I don't feel as inclined to get involved. As the parents of the missing child, they need to help me feel "invested" in locating their daughter to get my assistance.

As an Italian I can tell you that Latino culture, like my own traditionally keeps things very close to the vest, they stress privacy and do not generally speak about things of this matter outside of the family and I would suspect that has some sort of bearing on why this family has remained out of the media spotlight, it just goes against everything one in that culture is raised to believe in.

I myself am a very private person. It would go against everything in me to be in front of cameras like that, so I get that 100%. But, IMO, to keep Isabel out there (which needs to be the #1 priority so that more potential witnesses are reached), someone needs to be out there being the voice for Isabel and her family.

I don't think this is cultural and I see no need to bring those generalities into play here. And I am Italian.

What if they are being so quiet about the 6th person because it is an undercover cop? Just an idea! MOO

I think the sixth person is of complete interest to him. But they don't want to make it look that way because they want witnesses to come forward, not ask HIM to come forward. Which is why they left the tape long enough to show him in it. It's a bit of a cat and mouse game and who knows who the guy really is. But it's strange no one seems to have come forward nor has LE said more about him. Just my opinion on all this, of course.

I completely agree with what you just said about culture and the family.

Me personally... I am still :fence: sitting up here on the fence because I don't know enough to make an educated guess on what I think happened.

If one makes a preemptive decision to get an attorney before they have been named a suspect, then count me as one of those who suspects guilt. Too, too many cases have gone unsolved because principles in a case stop talking to LE once an attorney becomes involved.

And, again, I'm not referencing cases where follks have had to get an attorney after they were named suspects - I'm talking about a preemptive action.

has it been reported who made the initial 911 call? Dad, uncle, etc? Did dad and uncle go outside to search and tell a brother to call 911? Did dad call mom at work to ask if she had seen Isa before work before 911 was called?
It is frustrating to have so many questions and know that it really isn't my business because I am not a detective on this case..

I don't understand the suspicion towards the uncle. Even if he was involved in some shady business, why would they want to harm his niece? It doesn't make any sense to me.

The other thing I don't get is LE releasing the surveillance video of the 5 individuals and asking the 5 to come forward. My understanding was to ask them about the 6th. person in the video. Why would they not go out in public asking the 6th. person to identify themself like they did for the 5. Am I missing something? :waitasec:

One last point I wanted to make was regarding a child being snatched from their bedroom versus off the street. I would love to know how a criminal profiler would characterize such an individual. What makes a perp so brazen to risk going inside the home versus snatching the child at a playground or outside their home, etc? I am going to venture to guess that perhaps the perp does not have a vehicle (??)

Thoughts?

The perp chose to snatch Isabel from her bed when no one could observe his actions. If he snatched Isabel during the day someone would have noticed her gone within minutes which would only increase his risk of being caught before he left the area.

Stardevant told Nancy Grace Isabel usually played outside her house when she was with her brothers and a girl who lives in her neighborhood so the perp planned to steal Isabel when she was alone asleep in her bed to conceal his identity and reduce his risk of getting caught. mo

<snipped>
STARDEVANT: Again, I just saw the kids outside playing. There was a little girl that she played with down the street from me, but that`s about it.

GRACE: Did the two little brothers play with Isa outside?

STARDEVANT: Yes.

GRACE: Where they would play, is that easily observed from the street?

STARDEVANT: Yes, it`s right in front of the street. It`s right in their -- in their garage, the driveway.

http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1204/26/ng.01.html

I don't think this is cultural and I see no need to bring those generalities into play here. And I am Italian.

I dont think it is a generality at all, it is very much a cultural thing. Does that mean ALL Italians and Latinos are that way? No, but it is very much a part of that culture in my experience.

The irony IMO is:
Isabel's parents say they don´t want to go on camera/ be in the media because they don´t want the focus to be on them, but on isabel.
But now that very decission/attitude is beginning to do just that; turn the focus on the parents insted of Isabel.

If one makes a preemptive decision to get an attorney before they have been named a suspect, then count me as one of those who suspects guilt. Too, too many cases have gone unsolved because principles in a case stop talking to LE once an attorney becomes involved.

And, again, I'm not referencing cases where follks have had to get an attorney after they were named suspects - I'm talking about a preemptive action.

Well that is your right to believe but it is wrong, very wrong, to assume anyone who hires representation is guilty or has something to hide.

I wont get in to that further because I wont be able to keep my emotions in check, its a grave and serious matter IMO to assume that of people who hire attorneys. It is discrimination of the highest rank.

There are countless reasons to hire an attorney in a case like this none of which imply guilt.

Hiring an attorney doesn't mean one automatically stops talking to LE. You can hire an attorney to protect yourself from reporters, opportunistic crazies, etc - but still fully cooperate with the police. I tend to wait until LE says the family isn't cooperating.

has it been reported who made the initial 911 call? Dad, uncle, etc? Did dad and uncle go outside to search and tell a brother to call 911? Did dad call mom at work to ask if she had seen Isa before work before 911 was called?
It is frustrating to have so many questions and know that it really isn't my business because I am not a detective on this case..
You can find what a dispatcher stated in the scanner chatter thread in the parking lot-page 4. Scanner discussions have to stay in the parking lot.

Well that is your right to believe but it is wrong, very wrong, to assume anyone who hires representation is guilty or has something to hide.

I wont get in to that further because I wont be able to keep my emotions in check, its a grave and serious matter IMO to assume that of people who hire attorneys. It is discrimination of the highest rank.

There are countless reasons to hire an attorney in a case like this none of which imply guilt.

An attorney does much more than represent a guilty person. Just like all these benefits and money raisers. Who is taking care of this and the reward fund. I wouldn't know what to do. I would certainly need an advisor. jmo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hmoh4