AZ AZ - Jarrett Brooks, 16, last seen near I-40, Joseph City area, 4 Jul 2023

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

Unalienable Rights

Reaction score
1688899441536.png

NAVAJO COUNTY, Arizona, July 8, 2023 (Gephardt Daily) — The Juab County Sheriff‘s Office has shared a missing child notice that originated in Arizona.

The missing boy is 16-year-old Jarrett Brooks, last seen on the evening of Tuesday, July 4, in Joseph City, Arizona.

Brooks was last seen wearing a black shirt with “America” on it, a dark ball cap, blue jeans and square-toed cowboy boots. He stands 6 feet tall and weighs 140 pounds.

“He currently has a mullet, but it could have been cut off,” the missing person notice says.

“Jarrett is a great kid who will easily talk to anyone. We are located near I-40, meaning he could easily be anywhere. Please spread the word and keep your eyes open.”

The notice mentions an unspecified reward for the safe return of Brooks.

1688899599665.png
Image Navajo County Arizona Sheriffs Office

Navajo County Sheriff Facebook:

View attachment 433634

NAVAJO COUNTY, Arizona, July 8, 2023 (Gephardt Daily) — The Juab County Sheriff‘s Office has shared a missing child notice that originated in Arizona.

The missing boy is 16-year-old Jarrett Brooks, last seen on the evening of Tuesday, July 4, in Joseph City, Arizona.

Brooks was last seen wearing a black shirt with “America” on it, a dark ball cap, blue jeans and square-toed cowboy boots. He stands 6 feet tall and weighs 140 pounds.

“He currently has a mullet, but it could have been cut off,” the missing person notice says.

“Jarrett is a great kid who will easily talk to anyone. We are located near I-40, meaning he could easily be anywhere. Please spread the word and keep your eyes open.”

The notice mentions an unspecified reward for the safe return of Brooks.

View attachment 433635
Image Navajo County Arizona Sheriffs Office

Navajo County Sheriff Facebook:

It’s concerning as the entire area is desolate desert land. And as was said, I-40 goes right through there as well as old Rt 66 and there are abandoned properties all along both the roads. It’s near the towns of Winslow and Holbrook. There is a large Union Pacific rail yard in Winslow.

Paraphrased from the tribunenewsnow.com article linked in several posts above: when Laura came out of the shower, he was nowhere to be found. This was at approximately 7 a.m.

… (also paraphrased): Laura starts calling around to his friends but no one has seen him. They (Laura and Brian) then took separate vehicles and began driving around the neighborhood to see if they could find him.

Were Jarrett’s parents just worried and scared, or were they worried, scared, and angry? I think most parents might feel a combination of all three emotions at that point.

Does the neighbor who claims he saw Jarrett (or somebody who looked like Jarrett) walking across his pasture carrying a gun live close by? It seems the neighbor’s sighting of a person resembling Jarrett walking in his pasture occurred around the same time that Laura noticed Jarrett was gone.

Was Brian or Laura searching anywhere near the location of the neighbor’s pasture (and road) at about the same time (or not long after) the person seen walking across the pasture seemed to just disappear (as the neighbor and his friend headed out in their respective trucks from different directions to try to close in on the person they’d just seen walking)?

If so, did Brian or Laura see any vehicles on that pasture road? It seems the neighbor and possibly LE believe Jarrett may have gotten into somebody’s vehicle. Whose vehicle did Jarrett get into?

Jmo

<modsnip: quoted post was snipped>
He said he and his wife grounded Jarrett the night before his disappearance.

The following morning, after confirming he wouldn’t be allowed to attend any Fourth of July festivities, Brian said Jarrett returned to his room but that was the last time either of his parents saw him.

As he was leaving, Jarrett’s father reported several neighbors seeing him pass in front of their property but lost track of him in the fields near his home.

“A DPS ranger was flown over the area on (July 4) and dogs were deployed the following night and the following morning,” Brian said in describing search efforts.

Jarrett is homeschooled
, is known locally for working general maintenance for many of the ranches located near his home, and volunteers as an explorer for the local fire department.

According to Brian, they believe it all began on the night of Monday, July 3. Earlier that day, Jarrett had taken his dad’s hunting vehicle out off-roading and had damaged it. “He’d been told numerous times, it’s not yours to break because if you break it, you can’t afford to fix it. But he took it off road Monday and he broke it, so I told him he was grounded.” This transpired around between 9 and 10 p.m. that evening and then Jarrett went to his bedroom for the night. But before going to bed his mom took his phone from him, as they do with all their children every night.

The following morning on Tuesday, Laura had woken up with her daughters early in order to take part in the town’s 4th of July parade and festivities. Brian explained, “Jarrett woke up and asked her if he was just grounded from driving or grounded altogether and she said, ‘you’re grounded altogether.’ So, he said ‘does that mean I can’t have my phone and I can’t go to the 4th of July stuff?’ and she confirmed that was correct.”

Following that interaction, Jarrett returned to his room. Laura went to take a shower and when she came out, he was nowhere to be found. This was at approximately 7 a.m.

After learning from law enforcement that a neighbor had seen a boy matching Jarrett’s description walking through his pasture carrying a gun at about 7 a.m., concern began to turn to fear. Brian said at that moment the biggest question was, was he going out there to self-harm. “You had that initial reaction. I mean, he’s headed off to the middle of nowhere and he has a gun on him.”

--

Damn... His parents are strict.

I feel sad for him that he accidentally damaged his dad's hunting vehicle (according to his parents in this article they say it was only $100-ish worth of damage), he came home and was honest about it, and he still got significantly punished to the point he wasn't even allowed to hang out with his own family on the 4th of July (which seems like a big holiday for these people).

I'm sure he would've worked to fix it, he seems like a responsible and caring young man.

I hate to say it, but Jarrett could've viewed this as a "last straw" type scenario. It's so hard to put hard times & difficult feelings into the appropriate context when you're so young - anything bad that happens can often feels like the end of the world to a 16 year old. I know I was that way. I hope it wasn't the end of his world, but this is scary, and not sounding good.

Last edited:

1690795764398.png

His family strongly believes he was picked up by someone, as stated by their public FB group called "Search for Jarrett Brooks". I provided a link above. An administrator and family member states, "We feel that this is completely out of character for him. He's always been mentally stable and has had no reg flag issues before. So that's why we feel he is an Enagered Juvenile not simply a runaway that doesn't want to come home."
-
Brian stated that a video camera in the room where his guns are stored showed Jarrett entering the room that morning, taking the gun out of the safe and checking to ensure it was loaded. His face was clearly seen and there was no sign that he was upset or angry. Brian said he’s never taken a gun without first asking permission.

It wasn’t until Friday that Brian was able to talk directly to the neighbor who had told law enforcement that he had spotted Jarrett walking across the pasture. The man explained that he was working on his property with a friend when they spotted Jarrett striding across his pasture with a gun. Jarrett had gone under a fence by the frontage road and was walking back and forth so he and his friend decided to go and see what was going on. He went back to his home, got into his side-by-side vehicle and the man he was with got his truck and they took the roads surrounding the property from opposite directions in order to come around and catch up to the boy to find out what he was doing there. But by the time they met up, Jarrett had disappeared. No more than 10 minutes had passed. “Right there, I knew that he had gotten a ride out of there,” stated Brian. “We didn’t get that information from the Sheriff’s Office; from them we were told he had crossed the road. Now we know he had help.”

Brian says the unknown now is how did he communicate and who picked him up. They don’t think he had another phone but they don’t know how he would’ve been able to contact someone to pick him up without one. “He didn’t have hours to plan. He literally went to bed. When he left, he took his wallet, a gun and a pocket knife."

On the public search group, they clarify that the parents later found Jarrett's wallet on their property and nothing was missing from it. So all he took he was a gun and his pocket knife.

Last edited:
<modsnip - not victim friendly> I’m sure he was angry that they punished him for something so minor, <modsnip - not victim friendly>
I do believe from what I have seen that his parents are truly devastated by his disappearance and I pray that Jarrett is found safe and well. I wonder who would have picked him up and if they did, where did they go, wouldn’t it be noticed if someone had disappeared at the same time. I wonder what type of gun he stole, if it was a handgun he could have hidden that on his person and just hitchhiked, I don’t see someone hiding him for this long. One thing that bothers me is that on the morning of July 4th he was seen pacing back and forth in the field, sounds manic to me. No mention of a girlfriend, <modsnip - not victim friendly>
perhaps he was secretly involved with someone and was using a burner phone, a girl could have picked him up. Hoping for good news soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Moo..i believe Jarrett was upset because his phone was confiscated and he was grounded. He is 16 he does not have great emotional management at that age and he has a loaded gun with him

Thanks for the link @StillDiggin

One thing mentioned is the family has hired a P.I. Hopefully they can uncover more information to help find Jarrett.

[…]

The Navajo County Sheriff’s Office said Jarrett was last seen on Boyce Road in Joseph City around 6:30 a.m. on July 4. A private investigator hired by the family, James Harter, said Jarrett was just a few miles from his home.

[…]

We really don’t know if Jarrett was picked up by someone. Just curious as to what the landscape is like in that area, I know that it was said that he hid behind a bush, are there any trees there? I hope that I am wrong but I think the likelihood of someone picking him up and holding him against his will is highly unlikely. Unfortunately the most obvious conclusion is self harm.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rsteen
Back