Found Deceased AZ - Kathleen Patterson 60, left home 7:30am for hike at Spur Cross Trail, last contact w/fam ph call 10:30am, Cave Creek, 25 Sept 2022

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

Unalienable Rights

Reaction score
1664206315922.png

CAVE CREEK, AZ (3TV/CBS 5) - The Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office is asking for the public’s help to find a missing woman.

Sheriff’s say Kathleen Patterson, 60, left her home for a hike at the Spur Cross trail in the Cave Creek area at around 7:30 a.m. Sunday. Patterson contacted her family through cell phone at around 10:30 a.m. However, they have not heard from her since.

She was last seen wearing a green tank top, hiking shorts, a white visor hat, and a royal blue backpack.

If you see Patterson or know of her whereabouts contact the Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office at 602-876-1011.

Maricopy County Sheriff Facebook:

MCSO is asking the public’s help on locating 60-year-old Kathleen Patterson. She was last seen at her residence prior to departing for a hike at the Spur Cross, Cave Creek area. If seen or know of her whereabouts you are asked to please contact MCSO at 602 876-1011 and reference report #IR22025030.

1664206689436.png

We recently had 5 people rescued (by helicopter) from Spurs Cross. One died (heat exhaustion)

Similarly, they were quite prepared, left early, had water, etc.

Spurs Cross is very popular for hiking.

For longer hikes you can connect to the Maricopa Trail and others. And there is also the option of connecting over to Cave Cross Regional Park, as well.

Given she parked her car at Spurs Cross, I'd imagine she was really only intending an in/out hike and not something where she was ending going that far, especially given it was very warm yesterday.

There is another area right before the start of Spurs Cross called Jewel of the Creek Preserve.

People often park by Spurs Cross to then go over to Jewel of the Creek as well (one trail connects to Spurs Cross) - some do it to bypass the fee to hike at Spurs Cross, others b/c they prefer those hikes

Spurs Cross has a very large parking lot, Jewel of the Creek holds about 8 cars, so often people end up parking up the road at Spurs Cross instead.

Not saying she didn't actually hike into the Spurs Cross area, but just wanting to add some insight for those unfamiliar with the area.

I'm not surprised her family lost reception with her.

Unfortunately, Spurs Cross does not have the greatest cell phone reception.

My husband and I hike/bike there regularly.

You lose reception on the road even just getting the Spurs Cross, and then typically get weak reception in the parking lot, and then lose it for the most part on the trails, with just iffy spots on some trails.

I use multiple apps for GPS and hike tracking every time I go out, including AllTrails Pro, which I know most people who hike there do because of the plethora of trails and options. I have found I need to download the trails and then do 'navigate' because there's not enough reception to not have it downloaded on most of the hikes. There's not enough reception for me to upload my hikes until we're back out onto the paved road several miles from the parking lot.

My husband does route sharing if he bikes out there and there's not enough reception for it to update during large parts - both on the road in and while on the trails - so even if she had an app she was trying to share location on, it's unlikely to be much help.

I did hear more helicopters yesterday than usual, which I'm guessing is related to this. I've not really noticed more today.

Just a little more for those interested in the area...

Spurs Cross is a fee based preserve, but during the hotter months, the guard/entrance thing is unmanned and the rangers usually there are over at Cave Creek instead.

So currently it's a honor system w/ envelopes to pay or to put your Maricopa County Pass # on, so unfortunately, that slows down anyone apt to notice a car staying too long or whatnot in instances like this right now.

Some trails also allow horseback riders and a few allow bikes, some are just for hiking though.

Spurs Cross has not been very crowded lately due to the heat. Even on a very overcast and 25 degree cooler weekend about 6 weeks ago, there were only 3 other cars in the lot when we last hiked. My husband has biked back there more recently - including the day the 5 went missing and the one died b/c of heat - and said there were only 2-3 cars each there then, as well.

Unfortunately, with so many (wisely) not hiking like they would because of the heat, there's just not much traffic for others to have possibly come across her (since I'd imagine heat or injury are the case again with Kathleen) like there would be from later October/early November until late April/early May. During that time of year you often pass other hikers (and bikers and horseback riders) especially on the shorter trails.

Even if Kathleen's family knows which trail she intended to take, so many of them connect to others, that there are so very many places that will need to be searched.

I'm so glad they've had copters and drones up. I think it's going to be necessary because even if they have rangers and searchers on foot, it will take so much manpower to check all the possible trails and distances.

Praying she was able to find shade and that she is found soon.

Just a little more for those interested in the area...

Spurs Cross is a fee based preserve, but during the hotter months, the guard/entrance thing is unmanned and the rangers usually there are over at Cave Creek instead.

So currently it's a honor system w/ envelopes to pay or to put your Maricopa County Pass # on, so unfortunately, that slows down anyone apt to notice a car staying too long or whatnot in instances like this right now.

Some trails also allow horseback riders and a few allow bikes, some are just for hiking though.

Spurs Cross has not been very crowded lately due to the heat. Even on a very overcast and 25 degree cooler weekend about 6 weeks ago, there were only 3 other cars in the lot when we last hiked. My husband has biked back there more recently - including the day the 5 went missing and the one died b/c of heat - and said there were only 2-3 cars each there then, as well.

Unfortunately, with so many (wisely) not hiking like they would because of the heat, there's just not much traffic for others to have possibly come across her (since I'd imagine heat or injury are the case again with Kathleen) like there would be from later October/early November until late April/early May. During that time of year you often pass other hikers (and bikers and horseback riders) especially on the shorter trails.

Even if Kathleen's family knows which trail she intended to take, so many of them connect to others, that there are so very many places that will need to be searched.

I'm so glad they've had copters and drones up. I think it's going to be necessary because even if they have rangers and searchers on foot, it will take so much manpower to check all the possible trails and distances.

Praying she was able to find shade and that she is found soon.
Do these trails have any vegetation? Are they cooler than in Phoenix, e.g. more elevation?

not much vegetation to speak of - nothing beyond scrub, brush, cactus, native trees. Nothing lush, not much to offer shade. Best bet for shade is to hide behind rock and move as the sun does IMO.

Not much cooler than Phoenix, no. If she is out there, they have to find her ASAP. Doubtful she toted enough water for this long IMO.

Do these trails have any vegetation? Are they cooler than in Phoenix, e.g. more elevation?
We're typically about 7 degrees cooler near the Preserve than Phoenix.

I can post pictures if it'd be helpful. There are definitely a lot more if she took a trail that headed into the Jewel of the Creek the back way and in some areas, but not a lot beyond that, unless she went further back through Spurs Cross into Tonto National Forest. You start getting more trees there again in some areas.

Part way on the Metate Trail near where it connects to the Towhee there is a little pond thing with a lot of tree cover near it as well.

If she actually went into Jewel of the Creek area - either walking over from Spurs Cross lot (very common) or via a trail that joins with it from Spurs Cross - there's the potential for a lot more access to tree coverage/shade because there are cottonwoods and ironwoods, and it's pretty heavy in the area closer to the creek there.

A lot of people start in Spurs Cross and access Jewel of the Creek from that side (or vice versa) because it does tend to be a little more picturesque.

These are from earlier this year, so the trees aren't yellow right now, but since they stand out more in these pictures I'm using them instead of more recent ones.
IMG_20211219_150236756.jpg
IMG_20211219_151433425_HDR.jpgIMG_20211219_150104029_HDR.jpg

If she took Spurs Cross Trail to the Maricopa Trail, you can take Rd 48 and head into Tonto National Forest.

I've seen a fair number of horse back riders out here, but not since it's been so hot - though maybe it's time of day.

There's also more potential for some tree cover in areas back here than in the heart of Spurs Cross and the trails in that area nearer the entrance.

IMG_20220129_161808917.jpgIMG_20220129_160918721.jpg

There's also a bit of tree coverage along trails near here. IMG_20220129_154035923.jpg

And also some along where the creek runs (dependent on time of year/rains/monsoons/etc.)

IMG_20220129_155935854(1).jpg

But this is more what you'll find in the heart of Spurs Cross and where most of the trails traverse.IMG_20220130_135035340.jpgIMG_20220130_140637968.jpgIMG_20220416_113732186.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20211219_150104029_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20211219_150104029_HDR.jpg
    220.7 KB · Views: 1
Has anyone heard anything about the content or context of her conversation with family at 10:30 Sunday morning? I'm curious if she was in distress then.

It would be helpful to know her usual hiking pattern, as well. It is common for her to go out hiking alone for several hours? How familiar is she with this particular trail system?

Does she have any health conditions?

I am surprised air searches & drones have not been successful so far, as I would expect her to be found on/very near a trail.

Hoping she has not come to harm & is home soon.

We're typically about 7 degrees cooler near the Preserve than Phoenix.

I can post pictures if it'd be helpful. There are definitely a lot more if she took a trail that headed into the Jewel of the Creek the back way and in some areas, but not a lot beyond that, unless she went further back through Spurs Cross into Tonto National Forest. You start getting more trees there again in some areas.

Part way on the Metate Trail near where it connects to the Towhee there is a little pond thing with a lot of tree cover near it as well.
So, you were in the 90's on Sunday at the Preserve? If you're used to it, that's certainly not as bad as over 100, which it seems Phoenix was. Are the trails rocky-canyon-y so they reflect heat, though?

Glad there's some shade there. It seems like this would be a welcome refuge to get some fresh air, and not too far from home.

It does have me concerned that KP communicated with family at 10:30 am, but wasn't yet off the trail, apparently. It seems to me, you'd want to be back at your car by then, to have a margin of safety with the heat.

If she actually went into Jewel of the Creek area - either walking over from Spurs Cross lot (very common) or via a trail that joins with it from Spurs Cross - there's the potential for a lot more access to tree coverage/shade because there are cottonwoods and ironwoods, and it's pretty heavy in the area closer to the creek there.

A lot of people start in Spurs Cross and access Jewel of the Creek from that side (or vice versa) because it does tend to be a little more picturesque.

These are from earlier this year, so the trees aren't yellow right now, but since they stand out more in these pictures I'm using them instead of more recent ones.
View attachment 369073
View attachment 369074View attachment 369080
She could be really hard to find in some of that stuff, especially if she crawled under a bush to get at least some shade.

So, you were in the 90's on Sunday at the Preserve? If you're used to it, that's certainly not as bad as over 100, which it seems Phoenix was. Are the trails rocky-canyon-y so they reflect heat, though?

Glad there's some shade there. It seems like this would be a welcome refuge to get some fresh air, and not too far from home.

It does have me concerned that KP communicated with family at 10:30 am, but wasn't yet off the trail, apparently. It seems to me, you'd want to be back at your car by then, to have a margin of safety with the heat.

It was 97 at our house near Spurs Cross.

It's rocky in areas but not all of it. Mostly pretty dry dirt + scrub and cacti.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aliennbabyy
Back