AZ - Retta Atkins, 73, and Darren Vanhouten, 50, Double Homicide, Kingman, 28 June 2022 *arrest*

Countem

Verified Certified Fraud Examiner and CPA
Reaction score

The two victims, Retta Atkins, 73, and Darren Vanhouten, 50, were killed at their home in the 9200 block of Dilligaf Road east of Kingman.

Atkins was the founder and owner of The Gold Lady, a Golden Valley business that offers gold prospector and mining equipment and supplies and also buys and sells gold.

Their bodies were found at about 8:15 p.m. on June 28, 2022 by law enforcement while performing a welfare check on the residence.

A video surveillance system at the home gave authorities a usable image of a person who was on the property on Tuesday. The person was described as being a light-skinned man with dark hair, 20 to 30 years old, 5-foot-6 to 6-foot tall and weighing 150 to 170 pounds. The person captured in the image is wearing glasses.

The man has not yet been located.

Mohave Silent Witness has offered a reward of up to $2,000 for information leading to the arrest of the person or persons responsible for the murders.

Anyone with information about the case is asked to contact the Mohave County Sheriff's Office at 928-753-0753 or 800-522-4312. The case reference is DR 22-024010.

Geez, their house location is PRETTY rural. Makes me think that this isn't random. Then again, you never know what kind of neighbors you'll get in the desert. Hmmmm...

From what I've found, this is the house. 1656887181602.png

She seemed like an interesting and fun person to know. Her business "buys gold", wonder if she had a stash of gold at the house.

Here's a link to the business website of RA. About Us | Golden Valley, Kingman, AZ | The Gold Lady

Last edited:
That disconjugate gaze should help identify him.
Is that what it is, thanks Not sure I've ever met someone with such a severe case. It would be distinctive for sure.

This is the third notable case for me from obscure little Kingman, of law abiding people murdered out of the blue: Sid Cranston, the McFalls, now this. Beginning to feel there's something creepy about the Kingman area.

JMO

Is that what it is, thanks Not sure I've ever met someone with such a severe case. It would be distinctive for sure.

This is the third notable case for me from obscure little Kingman, of law abiding people murdered out of the blue: Sid Cranston, the McFalls, now this. Beginning to feel there's something creepy about the Kingman area.

JMO
I've heard that the region is meth central.

LE has released a new video of the suspect and a little more information.

IMO the suspect appears to be carrying a machete.
Thank you for posting this!

I am shocked that the suspect has not been identified with such clear footage (despite the face covering). Hopefully the news about the suspect’s injury to the left shoulder seals the deal, and someone reports him.

A Kingman man wanted for murders in Arizona and Nevada was found dead with a self-inflicted gunshot wound on Friday after hours of negotiation with police and SWAT in the Yucca desert.
Earlier this week, the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department issued an arrest warrant for 26-year-old Hunter McGuire and his girlfriend, 32-year-old Samantha Branek, for a murder that occurred in Las Vegas on Oct. 17. During their investigation detectives learned McGuire and Branek had been hiding out in Las Vegas after video surveillance linked McGuire to the murders of Retta Atkins and Darren VanHouten that happened in Kingman on Jun. 28.
Deputies searched the Golden Valley property where McGuire and Branek reportedly lived and found evidence that linked to the Atkins and VanHouten murders.
I am glad that the families now have some answers.

The following article details the entire crime spree that included the deaths of RA and DV.

A Kingman man connected to at least five murders in two states died from an apparent suicide as law enforcement personnel were closing in on him near the Mohave County community of Yucca.
Robbery was the apparent motive in the deaths of Atkins and Vanhouten.

A suspect, Daniel Matthew Avila, is in custody in connection with the homicides of Retta Atkins and Darren Vanhouten.

When Avila was arrested last month in Tempe, police found a gun on him. Ballistics have connected that gun to the bullets located at the murder scene of the couple.

Detectives have also found scarring consistent with a gunshot wound on Avila's left shoulder, which aligns with wounds that the culprit sustained according to surveillance footage.

A probable cause statement has been released providing more information about the search warrant issued for suspect Daniel Matthew Avila.

Check out the article for a ton of previously unreleased information about the crime scene, cell phone records that link the suspect to the crime, shell casings that link the suspect to the crime, and a vehicle that links the suspect to the crime.

WOW. I can say that I was NOT expecting any further news on this case after the previous news stories published in January.

Justice for Retta and Darren!

Following is a summary of updated timeline items from the article. The following all revolve around burglary allegations separate from the deaths of RA and DV. The allegations relating to the deaths of RA and DV will be addressed after this case is resolved.

February 2023: DA was arrested during an alleged home invasion in Tempe with a gun that was tied to the murders of RA and DV.
March 2023: DA pled not guilty to six counts of first-degree burglary.
May 2023: A mental health evaluation for DA was granted by the court.
July 10, 2023: DA was ruled competent to stand trial.

DA is scheduled to appear for a trial assignment hearing on Sept. 20, 2023 in Phoenix.

The article also includes an arrest photo.

Avila is expected to appear in Mohave Superior Court Sept. 13 for a final management conference in [the burglary] case, followed by a trial assignment hearing on Sept. 20. According to Maricopa court records, Avila's [burglary] trial is expected to take place before November 20.

In a case unrelated to Atkins and Vanhouten, Avila accepted a plea agreement on Jan. 17, pleading guilty to one count of attempted first-degree burglary as a non-dangerous offense. Avila is scheduled to appear on Feb. 15 for sentencing in the case, before possible extradition to Mohave County to face two counts of first-degree murder for the deaths of Atkins and Vanhouten.

Avila was sentenced to 2.5 years in prison for the unrelated burglary case. A felony indictment has now been filed against Avila in Mohave Superior Court, and Avila has been approved to be moved to the custody of Mohave County.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PRJ
Back