AZ AZ - Scattered remains of John Doe found in Finger Rock Canyon in March and November 1981 thought to have died between 1960 and 1975

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

MadMcGoo

Staff member
Reaction score
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs) UP10739

Date Body Found:
March 5, 1981 & November 27, 1981
Location Found: Tucson, Pima County, Arizona
Race: Uncertain
Sex: Male
Estimated Age: 18-24
Estimated PMI: Years (estimated year of death 1960-1975)
Estimated Height: 5' 10"(70 inches)
Weight: Cannot Estimate
Hair/Eye Color: Unknown

Clothing/Accessories: Draft card, blue or grey jacket (near the body). Black leather oxford size 10 (on the body).

Circumstances of Discovery: On March 5, 1981, a hiker discovered several bones while attempting to rock climb in a treacherous area of Finger Rock Canyon in Tucson, Arizona. Several months later, additional skeletal remains belonging to the same man were located in the area.

The individual was determined to be a young man between 18-24 years old and approximately 5’10” tall. A blue-gray jacket, a black leather Oxford shoe and a fragmentary draft card were recovered near the remains.

The man is believed to have died between 1960 and 1975. Based on the location where the bones were found, the man may have fallen from a ridge while rock climbing.

Agency of Jurisdiction: Pima County Office of the Medical Examiner, Bruce Anderson (520) 724-8600, Bruce.Anderson@pima.gov

Well this article says it was a social security card with a name on it. A name they wouldn’t release and didn’t match any “local reports of missing persons”. Hmm.

Last edited:
Well this article says it was a social security card with a name on it. A name they wouldn’t release and didn’t match any “local reports of missing persons”. Hmm.

Well, is there any chance the name can be released now?

I'm not really sure why it couldn't be released then actually?

Surely with the SS card details, his family could be traced? Or at least an address?

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, is there any chance the name can be released now?

I'm not really sure why it couldn't be released then actually?

Surely with the SS card details, his family could be traced? Or at least an address?
Surely if a card or name was available now DDP would have access to that information. I’d hope anyway.

Could a draft card been mistaken for a social security card? I honest don’t know and Google isn’t of much help.

I don't really remember, but I think they might be quite similar? Pretty sure they're both red and blue ink with an eagle, but I seem to recall green on the draft card. It's been too long since I've seen either.

I don't really remember, but I think they might be quite similar? Pretty sure they're both red and blue ink with an eagle, but I seem to recall green on the draft card. It's been too long since I've seen either.
Wikipedia, Draft card:

Edit

A Vietnam-era draft card worn out from years in a wallet
From 1948, under the Selective Service Act, all American men aged 18 through 25 were required to register with a local draft board. In case of war, the able-bodied ones among them could be drafted to serve in the military. The law required the men to carry their draft cards with them at all times. These were small cards bearing the registrant's identifying information, the date and place of registration, and a unique Selective Service number.

In an amendment sponsored by Congressmen L. Mendel Rivers and William G. Bray, on August 31, 1965, the law was augmented with four words, to include penalties for any person who "knowingly destroys, knowingly mutilates" the card, under 50 U.S.C. § 462(b)(3).[10] Strom Thurmond moved the bill through the Senate, calling draft-card burning "contumacious conduct" which "represents a potential threat to the exercise of the power to raise and support armies."[7] At the time, many observers (including the U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit) believed that Congress had intentionally targeted anti-war
draft-card burners.[11]

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
detectivegotcha
Back