GUILTY AZ - Sex abuse probe after patient in vegetative state has baby, Phoenix, 29 Dec 2018 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

cybervampira

Reaction score
Woman in vegetative state gives birth in Phoenix health care facility | Daily Mail Online

A sex abuse investigation is underway in Phoenix after a woman in a vegetative state in a healthcare facility for 10 years gave birth.

Staff at Hacienda HealthCare in Phoenix, AZ had been giving round the clock care to the female patient, according to AZ Family.

She gave birth on December 29 after apparently being raped at the facility some months earlier.
upload_2019-1-5_4-20-2.jpeg

Woman in vegetative state gives birth at Hacienda Healthcare in Phoenix

PD investigating after woman in vegetative state has baby

This would not be a tough case for a forensic genealogist, if authorities were willing to go that route. The field of suspects would already be narrowed to those who had access to her (either as employees or visitors to the facility). Genealogists who work on criminal cases have had success starting with a lot less.

So her family didn’t even know she was pregnant? :(

Um, yeah & the "trained" personnel paid to provide care for her claim they had no idea she was pregnant. :eek: Guess residents of this facility are examined by physicians/advanced practitioners, um, infrequently?

Like departed Mr. DeBrodie in Fulton, MO, was any insurance carried billed for these examinations? Certainly this provider wouldn't expect a pregnancy, but wouldn't a distended abdomen be investigated?

Color me skeptical, JMHO, YMMV etc.

I hope this turns out to be a transfer of semen via (unclean) hands while taking care of the woman rather than a rape. Also very gross but still better than the alternative.

In any case a dna test should reveal the father's identity.

I think the chances of that are so miniscule it would defy science.

How her healthcare providers didn't notice a growing womb is concerning to say the least!

They need to check every female in the place. How in the heck did the family not notice her swollen abdomen? No one saw it? I always checked when I visited my father for bed sores, etc and we transferred him when the health care was found lacking.

My Mom used to work as a nurse in a private home for a woman in a vegetative state. Her husband would come to "visit" and my Mom had the hardest time with that. This woman wasn't at risk for pregnancy, she'd had a hysterectomy. However this was many years ago when there was nothing that could have been done because she was his wife, marital rape wasn't even a thing yet.

I would think checking all the female patients for pregnancy is reasonable. As is a warrant for DNA for any male who's worked there in the last year. If there is more than one that is pregnant that would certainly lean more towards an employee. Also if she does have a spouse, they will need to be tested.

If those are not successful then you'd have to branch out but I would think those would be the only ones with that type of opportunity. Visitors to other patients shouldn't have had that kind of access to another patient. I realize there might be some problems with policy here, I'm just hoping that some things were done right to narrow the scope.

So, is the baby okay? What happens to him now?

As is a warrant for DNA for any male who's worked there in the last year.

I’m a genealogist, and have been able to identify parents for adoptees, donor conceived people, and people whose parentage is otherwise unknown. In the cases where you not only have the child’s DNA, but also that of one parent, the chances of success are really stacked in your favour. Most of this work can be carried out without the DNA of the suspects, although LE will need that for confirmation in the end. When the genealogist’s work is done, it’s quite possible that LE will only need the DNA of one suspect (the one it’s been narrowed down to).

I’m a genealogist, and have been able to identify parents for adoptees, donor conceived people, and people whose parentage is otherwise unknown. In the cases where you not only have the child’s DNA, but also that of one parent, the chances of success are really stacked in your favour. Most of this work can be carried out without the DNA of the suspects, although LE will need that for confirmation in the end. When the genealogist’s work is done, it’s quite possible that LE will only need the DNA of one suspect (the one it’s been narrowed down to).

I am so pleased that the suspect will probably be located soon.
This 'care centre' requires a complete overhaul, if the pregnancy was unknown.
The care here is absolutely lacking.
Do doctors and nurses just have cups of coffee?
Any other patient, in the centre, and families must be informed and appropriate measures taken to
alter standards.
New management immediately.
MOO.

I have been reading about this since early this morning on various sites. One thing that has been stated is that no one can be forced to give DNA samples (which surprised me), unless there is compelling reason to believe that a particular person was the one that raped her. The other thing that I read, which came from a doctor, is that it is not unusual for a person in a vegetative state to have extreme weight losses or gains. I was also curious about how a person with around-the-clock care could miss her menstrual cycle for so many months, but somebody else said that often cycles can be sporadic. Has anybody heard how old the lady is? I wonder what will happen with the baby. Just kind of thinking out loud.

One thing that has been stated is that no one can be forced to give DNA samples (which surprised me), unless there is compelling reason to believe that a particular person was the one that raped her.

I'll leave this link to a story covering forensic genealogy. I would have provided this in my previous post... but I was posting from my phone, and my feet hadn't even hit the floor yet. (That's how keen I was to find out if there'd been any breakthrough in this case yet, I started checking as soon as I opened my eyes).

The Future of Crime-Fighting is Family Tree Forensics

I don't want to hijack this thread into a discussion entirely about genetic genealogy just because it's my bag. If I do get into the nitty gritty of this field (including ethics, which is a whole other discussion) I'll do it in another thread. I really just wanted to assure those who are rightly horrified by this story, that there are ways and means available to investigators, with or without DNA samples from the suspects. They will get their guy. This case will not be an enduring mystery.

I have been reading about this since early this morning on various sites. One thing that has been stated is that no one can be forced to give DNA samples (which surprised me), unless there is compelling reason to believe that a particular person was the one that raped her. The other thing that I read, which came from a doctor, is that it is not unusual for a person in a vegetative state to have extreme weight losses or gains. I was also curious about how a person with around-the-clock care could miss her menstrual cycle for so many months, but somebody else said that often cycles can be sporadic. Has anybody heard how old the lady is? I wonder what will happen with the baby. Just kind of thinking out loud.
RBBM for focus

Perhaps LE can ask men to volunteer DNA samples, starting with current and past male employees who worked at the facility in any capacity (e.g., medical professionals, dietary staff, housekeeping) during the time period in question. Excluding potential suspects first would save LE time and money, IMO.

It may seem as though the process would be time-consuming, but in an article (linked below) from 2013, a gentleman who apparently is a criminal investigator for the military says:

“Our facilities take about an hour and a half [to process DNA], depending on certain individuals. There's different facilities that can work a little bit faster and in some cases a little bit slower, but about an hour and a half for us to get the initial DNA specimens in the system and then get a good file on it. But of course when a crime is committed, individuals are accused, at that point we could take up to, you know, 72 hours or even longer if we need to, just to verify that that is specifically, exactly the individual that, you know, we're looking at.”

And then later in the article, director of public safety from a township police department in Pennsylvania says:

“We're actually in the process of looking into the same type of equipment that the military possesses, where it would give you an hour and a half, a 90-minute turnaround DNA. Right now we submit our DNA to a lab, and we get our, we get our DNA results anywhere from 48 hours to 30 days back, normally about two weeks, which is fine the way we have it.

We're actually looking at equipment now that'll give us a 90-minute turnaround. There's other logistical issues with that for us that the military probably doesn't have to deal with. So right now it's just something that we're looking at, that same equipment.“ (BBM)
After SCOTUS DNA Ruling, What Changes For Police?

I hope that the Phoenix Police Department has this type of equipment available to them. This sexual predator could strike again at any time, wherever he is today.

By the way, the facility where this happened needs to be shut down, at least for the foreseeable future, IMO:

“Records reveal that the Hacienda HealthCare facility has a checkered past.

Department of Health and Human Services records from 2013 reveal staffers heard a colleague making sexual statements about the residents. The staffer was accused of watching some clients masturbate, and while bathing another client, told a staffer the client was going to have a ‘happy morning.’

Records show the staffer was fired and training policies were updated.

You can read the Arizona Department of Health Services 53 page report here.

Hacienda received a number of citations in late 2017.

Records show a man said he was uncomfortable with staffers walking in and out of his shower space.

Documents on the investigation reveal staffers regularly walked through his shower room to get to other rooms or collect supplies. A staffer said it had become a ‘bad habit.’“ (BBM)
Woman in vegetative state gives birth at Hacienda Healthcare in Phoenix

All of this is making me physically sick.

Like departed Mr. DeBrodie in Fulton, MO, was any insurance carried billed for these examinations? Certainly this provider wouldn't expect a pregnancy, but wouldn't a distended abdomen be investigated?

Color me skeptical, JMHO, YMMV etc.
RSBM for focus

As soon as I saw the headline “Woman in vegetative state give birth ...” this morning, I thought of Mr. DeBrodie, and then came to Websleuths. Thank you for starting the thread, @cybervampira.

It makes me wonder how often these types of crimes are committed. I also suspect many more incidents of this type go unreported.

I’m so sick of hearing about these cases in which the society’s most vulnerable are victimized.

I just tried to look at the Hacienda Healthcare website after watching a news story about how dissatisfied the families of other residents, in the same facility, are with the lack of information provided to them right now. The ones who have spoken out are parents of severely disabled residents, they do not know if there is still a rapist among their sons and daughters within the facility, and they feel that they are being told nothing. It all just made me wonder if the management has at least put out an official statement, but went I went to look at their official site it was simply inaccessible.

Screen-Shot-2019-01-07-at-11-49-51-am.png

I have worked on CARF accreditation teams and JACHO teams doing assessments on rehabilitation centers/nursing homes, both licensed and non licensed residential facilities.

This doesn't surprise me at all. I don't even want to discuss what I have seen. Years ago, I was offered a contract to do an assessment for Adult Protective Services of care facilities. I didn't want it. It is too corrupted to even investigate.

It may even be another resident or several who have helped themselves. Don't assume it was a staff member, at least staff have background checks, the residents don't.

It may even be another resident or several who have helped themselves. Don't assume it was a staff member, at least staff have background checks, the residents don't.

The facility can house up to 58 residents. I understand it's for younger residents with very high needs, so a high proportion of the residents may be infants and children. There are young adults as well, but many would have little mobility. The number of residents under suspicion would be few if any. I think the bigger concern is just how vulnerable these residents are.

I had to use Internet Archive Wayback Machine to even find out what demographic they cater for. They have pulled down almost everything, including their Facebook page. This wall of silence is not a good look right now. But from the archive of their website (on which most pictures are of children):

"Hacienda HealthCare is Arizona’s leading provider of specialized health care services for medically fragile and chronically ill infants, children, teens, and young adults as well as those with intellectual and developmental disabilities."

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HelloKitty1298
Back