GUILTY AZ - Sex abuse probe after patient in vegetative state has baby, Phoenix, 29 Dec 2018 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Hacienda HealthCare to close Mesa children's hospital

Hacienda HealthCare has announced it will close a hospital in the southeast Valley that caters to children.

The 24-bed facility near Baseline and Extension roads currently has four patients, Hacienda said in a news release announcing the closure.

Hearing set for former nurse charged with raping patient

An Aug. 28 hearing has been set.......

------------------------------------------------------------------

Sutherland had lost an appeal of an order requiring a test to determine if he has sexually transmitted diseases.

It's unclear whether Sutherland has taken the test.

A former Hacienda nurse accused of raping and impregnating an incapacitated patient under his care likely will not go to trial until 2020.

Nathan Sutherland, 37, appeared in Maricopa County Superior Court Tuesday for a status conference. His attorney, Edward Molina, told the judge he recently received more than 2,000 pages of evidence and police body-worn camera footage. They're also still awaiting nine months of surveillance footage from the alleged crime scene and Sutherland's former employer, Hacienda HealthCare.

Ex-Hacienda nurse accused of raping, impregnating patient likely won't go to trial until 2020

Nathan Sutherland's co-workers at Hacienda HealthCare facility in Phoenix realized something was different in the months leading up to his arrest on suspicion of raping and impregnating an incapacitated patient.

During police interviews, they told investigators the nurse was once happy and energetic. Sutherland referred to them as his "family." Others thought he was a bit too friendly, recalling the time when he would touch female colleagues' shoulders and call them beautiful.

But something seemed to change in the fall of 2018, according to the Phoenix police report provided to The Arizona Republic on Thursday in response to a public-records request.

Police report: Behavior of Hacienda nurse accused of raping patient changed in months before birth

A former Hacienda nurse accused of raping and impregnating an incapacitated patient under his care likely will not go to trial until 2020.

Nathan Sutherland, 37, appeared in Maricopa County Superior Court Tuesday for a status conference. His attorney, Edward Molina, told the judge he recently received more than 2,000 pages of evidence and police body-worn camera footage. They're also still awaiting nine months of surveillance footage from the alleged crime scene and Sutherland's former employer, Hacienda HealthCare.

Ex-Hacienda nurse accused of raping, impregnating patient likely won't go to trial until 2020

Nathan Sutherland's co-workers at Hacienda HealthCare facility in Phoenix realized something was different in the months leading up to his arrest on suspicion of raping and impregnating an incapacitated patient.

During police interviews, they told investigators the nurse was once happy and energetic. Sutherland referred to them as his "family." Others thought he was a bit too friendly, recalling the time when he would touch female colleagues' shoulders and call them beautiful.

But something seemed to change in the fall of 2018, according to the Phoenix police report provided to The Arizona Republic on Thursday in response to a public-records request.

Police report: Behavior of Hacienda nurse accused of raping patient changed in months before birth
Also from the second article posted above:
“Hacienda staff noticed the protrusion on the woman's abdomen months before, the policereport said. It seemed to grow, but the protrusion appeared to be on only one side of her belly.

Some thought it was a bowel obstruction, according to the report; others theorized it was a tumor and feared she was going to die. A doctor cut her calorie level to curb the weight gain.

She stopped menstruating, one woman quoted in the report remarked.

Police noted in the report that multiple nurses knew the victim as they had all worked with her at one point. They frequently switched ‘pods’ and Sutherland was just assigned to care for the woman two to three weeks before the birth.

A doctor ordered an ultrasound for a possible infection in the digestive tract the day before the birth, the report said. An X-ray was ordered instead after the diagnostics company realized an ultrasound wouldn't detect the infection.

[SBM]

A doctor disclosed to investigators the woman may have been sexually abused or even pregnant before, the report said.

‘(Victim) has been sexually assaulted multiple times and it is possible that she had given birth to another child in the past,’ a police investigator wrote in the report. ‘(The doctor) stated that (victim) showed no signs of common injuries to first time pregnancies.’

Her genitals also showed signs of sexual assault, the report said.

[SBM]

Some employees told investigators Hacienda's policies forbid male employees from assisting female patients, while others quoted in the report had no recollection of the policy. The victim's individual support plan called for only female staff.

[SBM]

The family of the victim filed notice last month that they may sue the state. The notice of claim says the state of Arizona did an ‘abysmal job’ monitoring Hacienda HealthCare.

The notice says the family would settle their claims for $45 million.” (BBM)

I hope the victim is surrounded only by love and care for the rest of her life.

Reading the article made me both sad and sick to my stomach.

So I still don’t understand the report. If an u/s turned xray was done a day before the birth, how did they not know the baby was in there?

This case is just all kinds of makes-no-sense.

I was under the impression that the day before she delivered the Dr. changed the order for an ultrasound to an xray but the xray wasn't scheduled till the next day so it didn't ever happen because she had delivered by then.

Totally negligence in every possible way. They did no imaging or testing despite knowing she'd had months of abdominal bloating and a mass, even if she hadn't been pregnant she could have had a bowel obstruction, necrotic bowel, tumor ect.

I was under the impression that the day before she delivered the Dr. changed the order for an ultrasound to an xray but the xray wasn't scheduled till the next day so it didn't ever happen because she had delivered by then.

Totally negligence in every possible way. They did no imaging or testing despite knowing she'd had months of abdominal bloating and a mass, even if she hadn't been pregnant she could have had a bowel obstruction, necrotic bowel, tumor ect.
*smacks forehead* That makes a whole lot more sense lol.

And yea - if there had been a visible mass for months, that's beyond negligence.

*smacks forehead* That makes a whole lot more sense lol.

And yea - if there had been a visible mass for months, that's beyond negligence.
But also, why wasn’t there apparently anyone not employed by this place monitoring her and advocating for her? How could she possibly have been pregnant before and family didn’t notice? I don’t understand any of it.

Say, girls, if a menstruating woman's tummy is bulging, and her period stops, what does that mean???

I'm not a nurse or anything, but the 6th grade teacher showed us a filmstrip....

And the doctor restricted calories -- for both Mom & son.

What practitioner was responsible for her annual Well Woman exams?

So happy the little guy has family!

Say, girls, if a menstruating woman's tummy is bulging, and her period stops, what does that mean???

I'm not a nurse or anything, but the 6th grade teacher showed us a filmstrip....

And the doctor restricted calories -- for both Mom & son.

What practitioner was responsible for her annual Well Woman exams?

So happy the little guy has family!
My guess is there weren't many well woman exams going on in her condition - at least not as often as your typical woman. I think it's one of those situations where if it's not in the realm of "possible", it doesn't occur to anyone to check for it. BUT (and that's a big ol' honkin but), if she had a visible mass, it should have been checked out LONG before it got to be baby-sized. So no matter WHAT the cause of the "bump" was, it should have been a much higher priority.

Apart from a hefty sentence, he should be made to pay child support every month till the boy turns 18.
My heart breaks for the poor woman - tortured and treated like an object instead of a human being with dignity:(

Apart from a hefty sentence, he should be made to pay child support every month till the boy turns 18.
My heart breaks for the poor woman - tortured and treated like an object instead of a human being with dignity:(

But -- court should specify NO CONTACT & no parental rights, as this birth is the result of a heinous crime. IMHO the court needs to state this in this action!

Convicted rapist gets joint custody of victim’s child

Judge rescinds order granting rapist joint legal custody of victim's child

Although I expect the San Carlos Apache Nation is ready to protect their young member.

jmho ymmv lrr

But -- court should specify NO CONTACT & no parental rights, as this birth is the result of a heinous crime. IMHO the court needs to state this in this action!

Convicted rapist gets joint custody of victim’s child

Judge rescinds order granting rapist joint legal custody of victim's child

Although I expect the San Carlos Apache Nation is ready to protect their young member.

jmho ymmv lrr
Of course no parental rights for this person - but he must pay, right? What if mother's family have no sufficient income to bring up a child? He conceived the baby so he must pay for upbringing and education MOO

@BrianaWhitney
Former Hacienda Healthcare nurse Nathan Sutherland was sentenced to the maximum 10 years in prison today after raping and impregnating a resident in an incapacitated state at the facility in 2018.
That doesn't seem like enough time to me, but I suppose its getting him out of the community for a while. Moo.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HelloKitty1298
Back