AZ AZ - Tucson, WhtMale, 20-45, UP17039, suicide, decapitated by train, wallet with initials "I.C.E.," Apr '74

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

citizen_sleuth

Verified family member - Orie Donald Esh thread
Reaction score
NamUs #UP17039

Demographics
Sex: Male
Race/Ethnicity: White / Caucasian
Estimated Age Group: Adult - Pre 50
Estimated Age Range (Years): 20-45
Estimated Year of Death: 1974
Estimated PMI: 1 Hour
Height: 5'11" (71 inches), Estimated
Weight: Cannot Estimate
Cause of Death: Suicide

Circumstances
Type: Unidentified Deceased
Date Body Found: April 29, 1974
NamUs Case Created: September 20, 2017
ME/C QA Reviewed: N/A
Location Found: Tucson, Arizona
County: Pima County
Circumstances of Recovery: At around 11:30 a.m. on April 29, 1974, two 14-year-old girls witnessed a man approach the train tracks near North Main Avenue and West 5th Street in Tucson from the direction of 11th Avenue. The man, believed to be in his 20s, squatted down by the north side of the tracks as the train was moving towards him. As the train moved past, the girls saw the man had been decapitated by the train and summoned the authorities, who ruled the death a suicide.
Inventory of Remains: All parts recovered
Condition of Remains: Not recognizable - Traumatic injuries

Physical Description
Hair Color: Brown (News reports say blonde)
Head Hair Description: Shoulder length
Eye Color: Green
Distinctive Physical Features: No information entered

Clothing and Accessories
- Wallet with initials "I.C.E."
- Toothbrush
- Tennis shoes without socks (On the Body)

News Coverage
"Train beheads man here," Tucson Daily Citizen, 30 April 1974, 5.
Train beheads man here_.jpg
Tucson police are checking fingerprint files in an attempt to identify a young man decapitated yesterday by a Southern Pacific freight train near N. Main Ave. and W. 5th St.

Investigators said a 14-year-old school girl witnessed the incident and summoned authorities.

She told officers that the man, believed to be in his 20s, walked up to the tracks from the direction of 11th Avenue and squatted as the train approached about 11:30 a.m.

She said the engine units and several cars passed before she noticed the man lying adjacent to the north side of the tracks.

Police said they have classified the death as a suicide. The body was transferred to the county morgue.

"Train Kills Man Waiting On Tracks," Arizona Daily Star [Tucson, AZ], 30 April 1974, B9.
Train Kills Man Waiting On Tracks_.jpg
A man was decapitated yesterday when he hunched down in front of a moving freight train at North 11th Avenue behind the Tucson Gas & Electric Co. building, police said.

[...]

Offices [sic] said the man appeared to be in his early twenties. He had shoulder-length blond hair and wore tennis shoes without socks. His wallet contained the initials "I.C.E." He also carried a toothbrush, officers said. He had no identification papers.

These are some potential matches I found for this UID:

Could it be this boy? Initials more or less match
He went missing during his trip back to Wisconsin, hitchiking from California to Colorado to catch a flight.

However to me it does not look like an “I” in the newspaper, more like an “S”. Unfortunately that part of the paper has a printing issue, or seems slightly folded. Can someone trace back the article? I cannot access from out of US

Hence Could also be :
But for this boy his wallet was apparently found in his car.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pixie673
Back