Bahamas - Taylor Casey, 41, Chicago, last seen in at yoga retreat, Paradise Island, Nassau, 19 Jun 2024

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Traysia Conard, Casey’s niece, said on “NewsNation Live” Wednesday that her aunt, “a sweet lady,” has been doing yoga for 15 years, and even went to the Bamahas back in February.

“She takes trips all the time,” Conard said. “This was an out of the ordinary.”

Conard had been the only family member who had Casey’s location on the Find My iPhone app. Once she heard Casey was missing, Conard checked the app, and saw it was in the water, where her aunt’s phone was located Tuesday morning.

sometimes pings or "find my friends" can be a bit off, i've seen phones that say they are in a body of water when they actually aren't, the person was just in the proximity. but, i agree it's still concerning
I agree, plus as far as I know phones can't even transmit signals from underwater.

IMO, the 'find my' app shows the last location the phone connected with another device. It may have been then turned off, or run out of power.

JMO

I know Brian likes to go on location, but to the Bahamas?! Not a hardship for him, of course, but it would have to be justified by the network, and a sense she wasn't just going be recovered after a swimming accident, right when he's boarded the plane... ie, has he had a tip about something, like where they found her phone yesterday...?

I found Taylor's LinkedIn page which took me to her current employer Howard Brown Health. I found an article that has her highlighted as a facilitator for a function they held in her role as a Healthcare Manager. I'm sure her colleagues are just as worried about her as so many of her friends and family. I'm glad her Mom and others are doing all they can to find her safely. Howard Brown Health Center hosts community town-hall meetings

I know Brian likes to go on location, but to the Bahamas?! Not a hardship for him, of course, but it would have to be justified by the network
I'm hoping Ashleigh Banfield covers this story tonight (6/26). It would be nice to get a complete summary of Taylor's investigation to date. Tomorrow (6/27) her program is pre-empted for the political debate and by Friday - who knows - something else may be in the headlines.

TOURISM Director General Latia Duncombe said Ministry of Tourism officials are meeting to determine the “best approach” to handle the negative consequences of the disappearance of an American woman.

Chicago native Taylor Casey, 41, was last seen in the Paradise Island area on June 19. Her relatives said she was in the country for the Sirvanada Ashram Yoga Retreat.

Yoga Retreat Bahamas said the woman’s disappearance was noticed on June 20 when she failed to attend morning classes.

Whenever there is an odd occurrence, it does increase concern. We want to make sure that we address it in a very measured way and continue to allow the authorities the opportunity to do what they need to do with the situation and then to keep the family in our prayers.”

Police reportedly recovered the woman’s phone from a Paradise Island beach.

The cousin of Chicago woman Taylor Casey, who went missing while participating in a yoga retreat on Paradise Island in the Bahamas, says she last saw her aunt’s phone ping in the water.

Conard had been the only family member who had Casey’s location on the Find My iPhone app. Once she heard Casey was missing, Conard checked the app, and saw it was in the water, where her aunt’s phone was located Tuesday morning.

Royal Bahamas Police Force is now investigating.

JUN 26, 2024
[...]

"We have received sparse updates, but they've been sparse, and we want to make sure that they are taking this case as seriously as we are taking it," Williams said. "And we know that we need to be there face to face so that we can get all the information that we need. And so that we can advocate fully for Taylor."

[...]

The search for Casey is ongoing, with authorities searching by ground and with drones, the Royal Bahamas Police Force told ABC News on Tuesday.

The police force said it met with Casey's family on Wednesday amid the ongoing search.

[...]

Why are there no searches or MP fliers? There’s no excuse for that. I wouldn’t go to that island if you paid me.
This would be so infuriating for her loved ones. Each second would feel like a day, waiting on news or updates and then finding out that not everything is being done to find her. I'd hate to think tourism and money came before a human life in importance. I hope she's found safely soon, but it's not looking good. MOO

This would be so infuriating for her loved ones. Each second would feel like a day, waiting on news or updates and then finding out that not everything is being done to find her. I'd hate to think tourism and money came before a human life in importance. I hope she's found safely soon, but it's not looking good. MOO

I don’t think it’s just tourism and money that slows down investigations in some cases, although it may be here. But in cases I’ve followed, if the missing woman is in her 40’s and not super pretty they don’t get the attention other’s get. Blonde “supermom” Sherri Papini got lots of attention (turned out to be a hoax) as has another pretty Mom Suzanne Morphew to name two off the top of my head.

However, the case of Stephanie Warner, local to me in Southern Oregon got very little attention…42 year old redhead with a temperment to match, had a DUI, tattoos…the local deputies didn’t really like her. Unfortunately, race can also put a case on the back burner. The media has a lot to do with it, but so do locals. I went around Stephanie’s small rural town passing out posters and many people hadn’t heard of her.

So I’m not surprised Taylor Casey’s disappearance is passing without much comment. Families can make a difference, so I’m glad her Mom is there to push the investigators and publicize her daughter’s disappearance;

JMO

I don’t think it’s just tourism and money that slows down investigations in some cases, although it may be here. But in cases I’ve followed, if the missing woman is in her 40’s and not super pretty they don’t get the attention other’s get. Blonde “supermom” Sherri Papini got lots of attention (turned out to be a hoax) as has another pretty Mom Suzanne Morphew to name two off the top of my head.

However, the case of Stephanie Warner, local to me in Southern Oregon got very little attention…42 year old redhead with a temperment to match, had a DUI, tattoos…the local deputies didn’t really like her. Unfortunately, race can also put a case on the back burner. The media has a lot to do with it, but so do locals. I went around Stephanie’s small rural town passing out posters and many people hadn’t heard of her.

So I’m not surprised Taylor Casey’s disappearance is passing without much comment. Families can make a difference, so I’m glad her Mom is there to push the investigators and publicize her daughter’s disappearance;

JMO
Yes, unfortunately it can be true that only the "young, pretty and important" get proper coverage. However, is that true for the Bahamas also? Different country, different culture?

The cousin of Chicago woman Taylor Casey, who went missing while participating in a yoga retreat on Paradise Island in the Bahamas, says she last saw her aunt’s phone ping in the water.

Royal Bahamas Police Force is now investigating.
Oh wow…so actually was located. If they were able to find it though I’m assuming it was close to the shore in shallow water? Or did they actually go diving? Not sure what to think if it was close to the shore. That almost seems like accidentally dropping it because if you want to intentionally dispose of a phone in the ocean you’d chuck it at least a few feet out, depending on how well you can throw. Or maybe someone did and it just happened to wash back up? Hm

JUN 27, 2024
Police have so far used drones, their canine unit and divers in their search for missing American woman Taylor Casey...

The update came not long after they met with her family at the Criminal Investigations Department (CID) on University Drive, New Providence.

[...]

“This afternoon we updated the family of Taylor as to where we are in the investigation. We have a very good relationship and they are very pleased with the investigations thus far and we will continue to collaborate with them as the investigation continues into this matter.

[...]

Skippings said Casey’s cellphone was found in the ocean, but her other belongings were still at the ashram.

Investigators questioned employees of the yoga retreat, Skippings noted, and added that police along with Casey’s relatives will visit the retreat today.

[...]

The ashram where Taylor was is located on the eastern end of Paradise Island and is accessible by boat, but also directly by foot.

Police said they have not only searched that island, but have expanded their search beyond it.

[...]

Police could not confirm yesterday whether Casey had been staying in a tent or in one of the rooms, or how long she had been in The Bahamas at the time of her disappearance.

Hopefully the phone can be accessed. There is likely information on the phone that will help explain what happened. Information such as who did she last call? What did she last photograph?

It is unlikely that someone in a boat stormed the shore to kidnap a woman. The boat access to the Ashram is on the other side of the island from the beach. I cannot see any roads to the Ashram on google maps.

I doubt a person on a yoga retreat would commit suicide. It's possible that she walked in to the water and was attacked by a shark (this is not far from where the young man jumped off a party boat and disappeared a few months ago), but why wouldn't she have left her phone on the beach?

Unfortunately, there is very little information available to the public. Most significantly, we know nothing about her stay at the Ashram other than missing a class. I suspect someone at the Ashram knows something. This person or persons may not be involved in her disappearance, but did see or hear something.

Hopefully the phone can be accessed. There is likely information on the phone that will help explain what happened. Information such as who did she last call? What did she last photograph?

It is unlikely that someone in a boat stormed the shore to kidnap a woman. The boat access to the Ashram is on the other side of the island from the beach. I cannot see any roads to the Ashram on google maps.

I doubt a person on a yoga retreat would commit suicide. It's possible that she walked in to the water and was attacked by a shark (this is not far from where the young man jumped off a party boat and disappeared a few months ago), but why wouldn't she have left her phone on the beach?

Unfortunately, there is very little information available to the public. Most significantly, we know nothing about her stay at the Ashram other than missing a class. I suspect someone at the Ashram knows something. This person or persons may not be involved in her disappearance, but did see or hear something.
At this point, my hunch is she might have decided to go for a swim on her own, thinking it was safe and peaceful.

Is there much of a tide on that bay (I think it's a quiet bay, not the open ocean....correct me if I'm wrong)? I wonder if she left a few items on the beach while she went in the water, and later the tide carried her items away.

I hope for more info soon. I know her family must be so distressed.

jmo

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Patturelli
Back