Bahamas - Taylor Casey, 41, Chicago, last seen in at yoga retreat, Paradise Island, Nassau, 19 Jun 2024

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I think we can agree to disagree. I don't think a comparison between a ship on the open seas and a building on land are even remotely the same. If someone goes missing who lives in a 28 story apartment building they might get some activity of people actively putting up posters but I don't know how far that goodwill would extend to actively looking for the person. Sure, the residents will talk about it and hope for the best but many won't be personally invested. Even less so, in a resort/retreat in another country unless you presume that you might be in danger, too.

But does being missing equal foul play? It depends. Is there someone who works there who takes an active and unwanted interest in you? You might say something to LE if that's case. Other than that, I can see it from two points of view: dismay that someone who is staying at the same place you are has gone missing and hope their disappearance isn't related to the location (which may affect you) and the view that an anonymous person has gone missing and it happens to people in unknown places and at home.

Does that sound cold and unfeeling? I think it depends on many criteria. Where do you live? In a bedroom community near a big city where you don't even know the people on your street because you're a long distance commuter to work? In a rural area where you know everyone miles around? In a small community with very few outlets for entertainment so gathering spots allow interaction with people from other small communities? All of those things have an impact on your viewpoint, IMO.

As for a woman's height, I believe that many factors weigh in as to whether you are perceived as the perfect victim. If you are a woman who lives alone but leaves a window open in your home or apartment it doesn't matter how tall you are when you have someone like Paul Bernardo who raped dozens of women in the Scarborough/Toronto area in the 1990s. If you are living a high risk lifestyle like prostitution or drug use you are more likely to be a victim of violence regardless of how tall you are. If you consume enough alcohol in a bar and lack situational awareness because of severe impairment you open yourself up to violence and assault, regardless of your height. If you walk down a street at night looking at your phone instead of your surroundings you may open yourself up to a surprise attack where your height, sobriety and fitness have no impact on your survival. Many crimes are crimes of opportunity, not thought out beforehand, so many criteria can impact what makes you the perfect victim in that moment.
The “retreat” styles itself as a community. People go there for weeks. Their sleeping arrangements seem to have little privacy. Above all, there is worship and a religious orientation. People seem to be on top of each other all day (with mandatory lessons and worship). IMO this is a context where you would expect people to be aware and to care.

Isn’t the whole point of yoga (the stretching thing is a western, modern, invention) to be in tune with the universe? It’s supposed to be life affirming, yes?

But I’m gathering not…

LE and mom haven’t said anything about interviewing staff or participants at the retreat. I find this extremely odd.

Last edited:
As far as I can tell from reading…. Let me say this about my own vacations. When I go to any kind of paid lodging, I expect a bed with excellent mattress, privacy, helpful and gracious staff, and access to spotless bathroom facilities when nature calls. I would ask for a refund if my room was tinier than billed, if necessities required extra charges, and if it was next to a sewage processing facility. If it’s a glamping tent, I expect the same.

Maybe that’s just me.
It's not just you, many people feel as you do. The bare minimum of expected amenities is what's advertised. I think we as the paying public have much more freedom to choose the level of amenities we want to pay for since the internet opened up possibilities. It used to be you'd book a vacation at a place named Ocean View only to find they are about 3 blocks from the ocean. Google earth solved that problem for us. Independent reviews on places like Tripadvisor gave us unvarnished truth about hotels, restaurants etc but you have to sift through those 1 star reviews to find someone who's just a grinch who no-one could satisfy.

The “retreat” styles itself as a community. People go there for weeks. Their sleeping arrangements seem to have little privacy. Above all, there is worship and a religious orientation. People seem to be on top of each other all day (with mandatory lessons and worship). IMO this is a context where you would expect people to be aware and to care.

Isn’t the whole point of yoga (the stretching thing is a western, modern, invention) to be in tune with the universe? It’s supposed to be life affirming, yes?

But I’m gathering not…

LE and mom haven’t said anything about interviewing staff or participants at the retreat. I find this extremely odd.
Most people I know who do yoga embrace the exercise but not necessarily the philosophy. They'll go to Scandinavian Spas (like I do) enjoying the peace and quiet and quiet reflection without committing to the whole (very expensive) lifestyle.

The whole communal living aspect of these retreats as you have illustrated would be a hard no for me. I don't even like camping so sharing a room and bathroom would feel like an invasion of my personal space.

Royal Bahamas Police Force confirmed that drones have been employed by the US agency.

National Security Minister Wayne Munroe said: “They [FBI] have made an extensive survey of the entire area using the drone technology that they have. I know they have used technology with regards to the cell phone of the individual. I know that they have interviewed people. I know they have met with a representative of the US government.”

However, the FBI is currently only providing advice to the Bahamas police at this point
in the investigation and Munroe added that he is hopeful they will share every piece of information they can to help find Taylor.

….

Following the discovery of her phone, the officer confirmed that Taylor's other belongings were still in the ashram.

July 1 2024

Several days after a Chicago woman was reported missing from the yoga retreat she was attending in the Bahamas, Chicago police have issued a missing person alert.

Police on Monday issued a bulletin for Taylor Casey
, a 41-year-old from the city who mysteriously disappeared while attending a June yoga retreat in the Bahamas not long after the U.S. issued a "Level 2" Travel Advisory for the island due to crime. She was last seen June 19 and is currently listed by police as a missing person.

No other information for the alert, including why it was issued several days after her disappearance was first reported, was given.

It's not just you, many people feel as you do. The bare minimum of expected amenities is what's advertised. I think we as the paying public have much more freedom to choose the level of amenities we want to pay for since the internet opened up possibilities. It used to be you'd book a vacation at a place named Ocean View only to find they are about 3 blocks from the ocean. Google earth solved that problem for us. Independent reviews on places like Tripadvisor gave us unvarnished truth about hotels, restaurants etc but you have to sift through those 1 star reviews to find someone who's just a grinch who no-one could satisfy.
I didn't see many grinches in the several one-star reviews for this retreat that I read. And they all say basically the same thing.

Most people I know who do yoga embrace the exercise but not necessarily the philosophy. They'll go to Scandinavian Spas (like I do) enjoying the peace and quiet and quiet reflection without committing to the whole (very expensive) lifestyle.

The whole communal living aspect of these retreats as you have illustrated would be a hard no for me. I don't even like camping so sharing a room and bathroom would feel like an invasion of my personal space.
I can really appreciate the attractions of a vacation in Samoa where your bed is a platform on a beach (for $10) and you pay an extra $10 for walls. Facilities "nearby". But $80 per night for a tent with evidently no mod-cons and they're all in a row on a platform, cheek by jowl, no view, and the staff is volunteers... Give me Samoa any time!

The Transgender Law Center in Chicago has a missing poster for Casey on their FB page. Not linking as it's FB, but it may be worth checking for updates.
That was my thought: she was targeted. Someone right there on that end of the island, who had opportunity enough to notice the gender-shift, took exception. Yoga apparel is very revealing.

I didn't see many grinches in the several one-star reviews for this retreat that I read. And they all say basically the same thing.
I haven't looked at the reviews for this particular venue, just commenting on many 1 star reviews that aren't reflective of the actual place; like: "I would pass on this restaurant, lousy customer service. We were late for our reservation and when we got there they'd given our table to someone else." Well, duh.

ETA: I just looked at the reviews on Google and I'm a little suspect of the most recent ones that seem to be posted after the disappearance of Taylor. Not sure if the posters have actually attended. However, on Tripadvisor most of the 1 star reviews are several years old and complain about the amenities. They make it sound like boot camp.

Last edited:

Chicago police issued the alert just after 1:30 p.m. on Monday, asking anyone who may have had any recent direct contact or correspondence with Casey.

According to CPD, the alert was issued after a call was made to Chicago police regarding Casey’s disappearance.

…..
It was not unusual for Casey to travel to The Bahamas, adding that she had traveled there in February.

Only a day before her disappearance, on Tuesday, June 18, family members received pictures from Casey of herself on the beach and told them that she was enjoying herself.

If Taylor is transgendered, at this point in time, I don't see her gender factoring in to her disappearance. The times I've heard of a transgender person being physically harmed is when they have been involved in an intimate moment with someone who is unaware that the person they are with are not female. That doesn't mean that transgendered people don't experience violence because of their gender but someone would have to know they aren't who they represent as.

If Taylor is transgendered, at this point in time, I don't see her gender factoring in to her disappearance. The times I've heard of a transgender person being physically harmed is when they have been involved in an intimate moment with someone who is unaware that the person they are with are not female. That doesn't mean that transgendered people don't experience violence because of their gender but someone would have to know they aren't who they represent as.

I’m still undecided as to whether there was foul play involved vs misadventure / tragic accident.

I would suggest in general that motives behind violence against gender non-conforming people are often based on the self-serving narratives of the perpetrator of violence. Perpetuators are often unreliable narrators who will shift blame onto their victims while casting themselves as the “true victim.”

Which is to say that I strongly discount the “I was angry because I was fooled by a trans sex worker” excuse as unreliable. (I mention sex work because that’s where the “IDK, I didn’t know” narrative is often raised.)

MOO.

JUL 1, 2024
[...]

... "We have spoken to a number of persons at the retreat and we are going to continue," Skippings [Royal Bahamas Police Force Chief Superintendent] said during a press conference...

[...]

... "She was excited to be participating in the yoga teacher training program and looking forward to sharing her experience with others when she returned." -Taylor's mother

[...]

Chrislyn Skippings, the police force’s Chief Superintendent, told WGN News that there is currently no information indicating that any crimes were committed.

I have many questions. My first instinct is to question the retreat staff members and alumni, more specifically, what credentials do the teachers have and are the other participants well? What would they say about the experience? Then I consider current crime rates, considering the location Casey was last seen consists of regular gang related offenses. As said before in the thread, the US State Department posted a travel advisory urging Americans to "exercise increased caution". Casey is used to the rough and grimy environment that can be the city of Chicago, she most certainly understood the art of being aware of her surroundings. The phone was pinged in the ocean, now enters the possibility of an accident. Casey's yoga instructor claimed she hadn't arrived at classes on the morning of June 18, leading me to assume this had to have happen the night before, possibly the evening. If the tides had been high Casey wouldn't have brought her phone with her into the ocean, rookie mistake, she entered the water not intending for her phone to come with. Personally, and with the upmost respect, I don't believe this was an accident.
Ill continue to look, see what I can find to report back.
MBV

JUL 1, 2024
[...]

... "We have spoken to a number of persons at the retreat and we are going to continue," Skippings [Royal Bahamas Police Force Chief Superintendent] said during a press conference...

[...]

... "She was excited to be participating in the yoga teacher training program and looking forward to sharing her experience with others when she returned." -Taylor's mother

[...]

Chrislyn Skippings, the police force’s Chief Superintendent, told WGN News that there is currently no information indicating that any crimes were committed.
This is interesting, I guess the theory of her accidental drowning may be possible. Does she have an IPhone? If given the opportunity id take a shot at logging into her icloud. Hopefully, if this was the case, she'd have photos that were able to backup before breaking down in the water. next stop, looking at the weather reports that week in Nassau. I need to figure out a timeline before going to sleep.
MBV

Just a minor thing, but my understanding is that people should be described as “transgender” rather than “transgendered.”

I concur with the post by @Quim The Extraordinaire regarding how being transgender —if in fact Taylor is—or even just being *perceived* as transgender—might’ve put her in jeopardy even if she was simply minding her own business at the retreat.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
snathan
Back