Bahamas - Taylor Casey, 41, Chicago, last seen in at yoga retreat, Paradise Island, Nassau, 19 Jun 2024

I wonder if attendees to the conference are offered any optional excursions. Sometimes retreats like this have a partial day or evening to experience local culture - sightseeing, deep sea fishing, the main shopping district, etc... Somehow she departed the safety of the Sivananda Yoga Center.
We don't know for a fact that she departed the Yoga Center. AFAIK there's no camera footage showing her anywhere else? Were guests allowed to leave before they were interviewed by LE?

Last edited:

The cousin of Chicago woman Taylor Casey, who went missing while participating in a yoga retreat on Paradise Island in the Bahamas, says she last saw her aunt’s phone ping in the water.

Conard had been the only family member who had Casey’s location on the Find My iPhone app. Once she heard Casey was missing, Conard checked the app, and saw it was in the water, where her aunt’s phone was located Tuesday morning.

Royal Bahamas Police Force is now investigating.
It could have pinged on the shore at low tide and then been located in the water at high tide.

Umm no, I don’t expect anyone to stop what they’re doing and “churn out missing posters”, especially residents of NYC, Paris or London. Of course that is unrealistic. I said nothing of the kind. You missed my point.

If you read the post I was responding to, I was pointing out why, in my experience, some cases are “adopted” by a community and some aren’t. The examples in my post were all small communities that often come together to help in these situations as the Redding area did for Sherri Papini. That’s why I was surprised at the silence and inaction for Stephanie Warner ten years ago.

My point was that it fits the pattern of ignoring most average looking middle aged women who go missing, such as Stephanie and Taylor, but rallying for attractive and/or younger missing women. A pretty teenager disappeared in my town and there was a candlelight vigil downtown and a protest at the police station and much local news coverage. (She turned out to have run away for three months.) So I saw the disparity firsthand FWIW. I hope this clarifies my post for you.

Much of the help provided is in response to family involvement, so Taylor’s mother is doing well to be involved, and should expect nothing but be grateful for anything. And if Taylor was swept out to sea her efforts won’t make a difference. But it will likely be hard for Taylor’s mom to accept that it was an accident if it was.
JMO
I totally agree with you on the over-emphasis on a certain youthful demographic if someone goes missing. And, yes, other demographics, age groups, wealth, and ethnicities, get a lot less press when they go missing.

Another reason few visitors would be interested in creating or seeing "missing" posters is that they're not going to want their image of a "quiet secluded exclusive yoga retreat" messed with.

IMO the whole yoga vibe would be disarming if there actually was someone there who wasn't safe to be around. I'm thinking Kaitlin Armstrong hiding out at the yoga retreat in Costa Rica. I mean, who would imagine their yoga teacher is wanted for murder? Their bunkmate? The woman lazing around at the beach?

And we recently had a situation out of a yoga retreat at Lake Atitlán in Guatemala, where someone dove off a kayak into deep cold water and drowned. The yoga participants in that case didn't seem to know each other very well. Maybe that's in the nature of yoga retreats? I'm wondering if that's a factor in this case, too?

Last edited:
Yes, just to add to this, many people take these 'teacher training' programs, in order to immerse themselves in yoga for a few solid weeks. It's like auditing a university course, you attend but don't have to pass exams, nor are you interested in getting a degree, or working in the field.

It probably also works out to be cheaper than staying at a resort in the Bahamas as a guest, for the same amount of time.

IMO, most people don't get enough time off to do this, it's often done during a period of life transition, ie divorce, job change...

JMO
It sounds like at this yoga retreat they sleep in tents. The yoga retreat may charge a lot of money for these, but perhaps less than a regular resort. You can get fancy glamping tents, but I'm always suspicious these are fairly lucrative for the outlay, and they can be priced lower than other arrangements.

I'll bet this yoga retreat is expensive...

In the interview of TC's mom, she said people would leave the yoga resort to get coffee and other treats, since these weren't provided (I guess a caffeine-free environment?). Have we heard any LE comment on this avenue? Where, for instance, are these escapees going for coffee?

Taylor is pretty tall for a woman. I don’t think she would be the ideal kidnapping target. Are there a lot of sharks in the area? I’m just wondering why a body wouldn’t be found if she did fall in the ocean and swept under. That’s very sus that no one put up missing flyers, and the yoga retreat didn’t tell their other guests upon arrival that a guest was missing. Also I would want to ask her mom if she was a good swimmer.
A missing person is a missing person and I don't think a hotel, retreat or AirB&B should be responsible for being actively involved in the search for a missing person. I don't see the correlation so I'd like to hear why they should be actively involved. I could understand if a woman was attacked or sexually assaulted on the grounds of one of the above locations because security would come into play but walking on a beach, not on the grounds of the retreat doesn't fall in that category.

I also don't think the height of a woman is an indicator as to whether she would be an ideal victim or not. Situational awareness is one of the biggest indicators of someone being vulnerable to abduction or assault. Walking down the street or beach focusing on your phone without any thought of who's in front or behind you has nothing to do with height, weight or age.

I totally agree with you on the over-emphasis on a certain youthful demographic if someone goes missing. And, yes, other demographics, age groups, wealth, and ethnicities, get a lot less press when they go missing.

Another reason few visitors would be interested in creating or seeing "missing" posters is that they're not going to want their image of a "quiet secluded exclusive yoga retreat" messed with.

IMO the whole yoga vibe would be disarming if there actually was someone there who wasn't safe to be around. I'm thinking Kaitlin Armstrong hiding out at the yoga retreat in Costa Rica. I mean, who would imagine their yoga teacher is wanted for murder? Their bunkmate? The woman lazing around at the beach?

And we recently had a situation out of a yoga retreat at Lake Atitlán in Guatemala, where someone dove off a kayak into deep cold water and drowned. The yoga participants in that case didn't seem to know each other very well. Maybe that's in the nature of yoga retreats? I'm wondering if that's a factor in this case, too?
A retreat based on the moniker 'retreat' rather than hotel, Virbo, AirB&B or resort suggests to me that the visitors are there for a period of self reflection exempt from all the noise of the attractions that many places advertise. So a lot of them don't necessarily interact with other guests other than the usual casual contact.

I doubt she was swimming with her cell phone on her. She would have to be in the water for a rip tide to drag her out to sea. She might have been in a boat. Were there rental boats or paddle boats in that area?

It sounds like at this yoga retreat they sleep in tents. The yoga retreat may charge a lot of money for these, but perhaps less than a regular resort. You can get fancy glamping tents, but I'm always suspicious these are fairly lucrative for the outlay, and they can be priced lower than other arrangements.

I'll bet this yoga retreat is expensive...
I had heard on the radio (reporting on this case) that the tents were $80/night and rooms inside the resort could go up to $500/night, FWIW.

I doubt she was swimming with her cell phone on her. She would have to be in the water for a rip tide to drag her out to sea. She might have been in a boat. Were there rental boats or paddle boats in that area?

a riptide can catch you in relatively shallow water...
People really do walk pretty far into the water to take pictures!!

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IdreamofJeannie
Back