Bahamas - Taylor Casey, 41, Chicago, last seen in at yoga retreat, Paradise Island, Nassau, 19 Jun 2024

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
MOO!

From a purely legal point of view - putting all emotions and morals aside - I understand why the retreat would be hesitant to give answers or speak to reporters directly. There needs to be a liaison from the resort or their legal team to support the family and police in their search.

Where is Taylor? Why aren't any other retreat attendees talking about this or sharing more information about her demeanor or anything else while they were with her?
There's a 'good vibes only' culture attached to western yoga that can translate to a toxic avoidance of anything distressing or negative. (Which is missing the whole point of yoga, but whatever.)

Not saying that's what's happening here, but it wouldn't surprise me if there's a dollop of that in the mix.

MOO

There's a 'good vibes only' culture attached to western yoga that can translate to a toxic avoidance of anything distressing or negative. (Which is missing the whole point of yoga, but whatever.)

Not saying that's what's happening here, but it wouldn't surprise me if there's a dollop of that in the mix.

MOO

MOO - completely agree, "toxic positivity". There have been more than enough documentaries that have come out over the last couple years about the weirdness that goes on behind the scenes at some of these places.

MOO - completely agree, "toxic positivity". There have been more than enough documentaries that have come out over the last couple years about the weirdness that goes on behind the scenes at some of these places.
It's just as present in many church communities of all flavours, schools, and workplaces. Being aware of it is the first step in not giving in to it by default. But it's harder in an immersive environment like an ashram, where the whole point is marketed as surrendering yourself to the place and the process.

MOO

Photo of Casey’s tent she was staying in
Missing person Taylor Casey
The bed (left) in the tent where Casey was staying along with a Bible (right) that she had with her.TODAY

It's just as present in many church communities of all flavours, schools, and workplaces. Being aware of it is the first step in not giving in to it by default. But it's harder in an immersive environment like an ashram, where the whole point is marketed as surrendering yourself to the place and the process.

MOO
Possibly, but this was a 41 year old, experienced with a career and other independent life choices. Also she had apparently been there before, and wanted to/was welcomed back.

JMO

Popping in again with some personal experience at the ashram, but I don't think them being evasive/unforthcoming is a sign of foul play on their part. When I visited, years ago now, the vibe was very... odd. It's VERY yogic and they take the practice very seriously -- much more seriously than I think the average person is looking for. The swami we spoke to when visiting even condescended to us for NOT staying at the ashram overnight and tried to neg us into staying. It was a bizarre experience and the yoga wasn't overly relaxing. We had a loud party boat blasting 'Who let the dogs out?' go by during practice because there's a harbour right there.

And to reply to an early post (sorry I lost it!) but the tents and accommodations are not sex-segregated.

JMO.
I appreciate your comments.

I've never been to the Ashram, but have been to the Cove a few times (it's the closest of the Atlantis hotels) and surely walked down the beach to or very near the yoga ranch. It's not far, at all. In contrast to some of the reports I read... it's hardly "remote."

Paradise Island is separate from Nassau - and I never felt like it was particularly accessible to local vagrants or criminals. I would've been more worried about someone from a cruise ship... and I guess someone on staff.

Did they say which side of the island the phone was found? If I recall from the case of the student that jumped off the party boat and was lost - people said the bay side is pretty shark infested. Could she have been wading in an area not protected by nets? I think some parts of the beaches are, right? Is that even a possibility?

JUL 3, 2024
[...]

When Seymore arrived at the retreat with her team, the scene appeared largely unprocessed by authorities, the release states. Among Casey’s belongings were a Bible and other books, a sketchpad with paintings, affirmation cards, clothes and toiletries.

“It became apparent to us when we met with the Sivananda Ashram leaders that they were struggling to keep a linear and cohesive narrative regarding Taylor’s disappearance,” Williams said.

[...]

“We were told that a description of Taylor was provided to the Atlantis security and that they were the ones who reviewed CCTV footage,” Williams said in the release. “What we took this to mean is that the detectives themselves did not review this footage.”

[...]

TAYLORS PHONE NEAR DOCK.png
Taylor Casey's phone was found in the ocean near this dock. From Claudia Garcia-Roja

TAYLOR BELONGINGS.png
Seymore collected some of Casey's belongings from the retreat, including a Bible and other books, affirmation cards, clothes and toiletries. From Claudia Garcia-Roja

The report that her phone was found by the dock puts a different spin on it. I believe that is the ashram dock on the bay side, which is NOT on the beach. It’s completely the other side of the island from where I think we have been assuming she was walking/possibly swimming. It puts her last location much more at the ashram than on the beach. JMO

Attachments

• IMG_6482.jpeg
    IMG_6482.jpeg
    223.9 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_6483.jpeg
    IMG_6483.jpeg
    111.9 KB · Views: 8
There's a google review of the retreat from 5 days ago talking about the poor treatment of queer and lgbtq+ persons attending...explaining they were picked on, harassed, denied certain amenities and rights even bullied and abused.
I would take his review with a grain of salt. It's his only Google review. He may just be spamming the reviews because of Taylor's disappearance.

For some reason I thought the man that said he was interested in yoga classes had spoken to Taylor and followed her into the resort grounds. But the CNN article reads as if it was another guest. As I think more about this, the "man" said he was from Chicago. Is the hotel trying to say that the "man" was Taylor?

Why was her phone found near the dock? How far was this from where her last pictures were taken? Were their any other items found nearby? Are records kept for vessels using the dock?

JUL 3, 2024
[...]

When Seymore arrived at the retreat with her team, the scene appeared largely unprocessed by authorities, the release states. Among Casey’s belongings were a Bible and other books, a sketchpad with paintings, affirmation cards, clothes and toiletries.

“It became apparent to us when we met with the Sivananda Ashram leaders that they were struggling to keep a linear and cohesive narrative regarding Taylor’s disappearance,” Williams said.

[...]

“We were told that a description of Taylor was provided to the Atlantis security and that they were the ones who reviewed CCTV footage,” Williams said in the release. “What we took this to mean is that the detectives themselves did not review this footage.”

[...]

View attachment 515287
Taylor Casey's phone was found in the ocean near this dock. From Claudia Garcia-Roja

View attachment 515288
Seymore collected some of Casey's belongings from the retreat, including a Bible and other books, affirmation cards, clothes and toiletries. From Claudia Garcia-Roja
I wonder if that boat at the end of the dock is the one that Taylor was posing in.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lbmeadows98
Back