Bahamas - Taylor Casey, 41, Chicago, last seen in at yoga retreat, Paradise Island, Nassau, 19 Jun 2024

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

Jessica Savano was at the Istanbul airport, Turkey, flying to Croatia, when she saw a missed call that shook her to her core. It was from Colette Seymore, the mother of the missing 41-year-old woman, Taylor Casey, who disappeared while attending a yoga retreat in the Bahamas.

Savano tells Travel Noire that while there is a lot of speculation about what happened to Casey, she doesn’t think her disappearance is related to foul play from the yoga retreat center.

The last message Savano received from Casey was three days before she went missing. Savano sent Casey a voice text about the fun she was having in Istanbul and then reminded Casey that she loves her. Casey replied with her latest adventure in the Bahamas, adding how the yoga courses are “intense.”
I dunno. If someone is described as nerdy and innocent I don't see them leaving the ashram at 11 pm to go to party in a foreign country for Juneteenth. It doesn't track in my mind.

Things I’d pack for at that “retreat”;

—my collapsible Ikea wash bowl
—two real actual towels; I’d use the skimpy issued one as a mattress pad
—a light camping blanket
—a silk or coolmax sleeping bag liner
—my super-collapsible camping lounge chair
—my cheap ikea pillow
—my 3-inch car camping Thermarest
—some healthy snacks like dark chocolate and pre-cooked bacon
—my travel kettle, tea bag supply, and powdered milk in a cockroach-proof jar
—wipes for butt, body, hair, feet, crotch and armpits, 3 packs for each body part
—100-pack of toilet seat covers
—32 oz of Purell
—3 canisters of deodorant
—nuun
—ear plugs
—a safe
—locks for all the tent zippers
—a kindle loaded with murder mysteries and hacks for survival in a sheer tent cheek-by-jowl with 30 other people when you’re required to be nice for a month; there’s gotta be loads of those on YT
I would be a nice gesture to bring 50 packs of butt wipes for the other attendees.

The man is from Atlanta and was staying next door at the Atlantis Resort,” Mr Goudie said. “He was simply taking a stroll on the beach and was interested in knowing more about our yoga classes. We often have inquiries about the yoga retreat from the guests at Atlantis.
Apparently this is the same guy that approached Taylor on the beach. They imply that he was just having a good walk on the beach and was enjoying asking Taylor about questions about the yoga retreat. Though an earlier witness said that the man that talked to Taylor on the beach wore a Celtics hat and was from Chicago Ashram said they found him and that he was from Atlanta and staying at the Atlantis resort. They further said that retreat participant stated they misidentified him.

I don’t see how. This is neither a geography or biography test and they were still right that someone approached Casey, walked with her and asked about the Ashram. The more important part is not whether he roots for Celtics, the Bulls or the Hawks but that this info was passed onto LE to further help in the investigation.

The other individual described in your report was holding a walkie-talkie, and our best guess is that he is a security guard for one of our neighbours. He entered the ashram at about 2pm –– a time when our students were in class –– and stayed for a couple of minutes and left.”
What do they mean they guess? Is it normal for their neighbor’s security to walk through the ashram when no one was really there?

Was there a reason why he would be there? Was he looking for something or someone?

How do students feel about that considering it was guessed that an unnamed security strolled through the area where their unsecured tents and belongings are?

It was an employee who noticed him. Why didn’t he say anything to them?

Why not ask just ask you neighbors? Maybe entry into Ashram is pretty lax if all you have to do is pretend to be a security guard by dressing in all black while whispering into a kids walkie talkie you bought from Toys R’ Us?

Overall, I guess good job being proactive in identifying the two previously mentioned individuals. I am guessing, or hoping all this information was passed on to LE who could later confirm these details and hopefully gain some insight into further narrowing down and locate Taylor’s whereabouts with end goal of reuniting her with her family.

I did find Ashram’s PR team’s response a tad distasteful because of how aggressive their tone was towards the Casey family. IMO instead of pointing out how wrong Casey family and their witnesses are maybe more of a show of compassion in the spirit of Taylor Casey would be a better display of the mindfulness and self-awareness you yogis keep preaching of.

Maybe the PR consultant who helped Ashram write this letter should be rewarded with a free invite to their morning breathing exercises

Last edited:
To you it looks like toothpaste not to everyone. I said all it would take is the wrong person assuming it was drugs and make her a target. Never accused her of having or doing drugs.
Okay, yes, great point. I actually think few people would perceive it as a toothpaste substitute, and they’re more likely to assume it’s a powdered drug.

JUL 10, 2024
The mother of an American woman who went missing in the Bahamas last month while on a monthlong yoga retreat revealed that her daughter is transgender, a detail she said she had withheld out of fear it might negatively affect the search.

[...]

“The focus was going to be taken off of finding my child, my child being missing and that they were going to put the focus on ‘oh, Taylor’s transgender,’ which should not be the focus at all,” said Casey’s mother, Colette Seymore, referring to the media. “It should be the focus is finding Taylor, an American, human being citizen that’s missing in the Bahamas.”

[...]

“Taylor told me, ‘Ma, this is hard,’” Seymore said. “And when Taylor told me that, I just felt something, because Taylor is not a quitter, and Taylor loves yoga and really wanted to do that. I just had this eerie feeling.”

Later, Seymore and Williams said, they were told that Casey appeared “isolated” and “not integrated well into the program” by several people who attended the retreat. Casey was the only Black person and the only trans person out of the 14 retreat participants, Williams said.

[...]
This is what I was fearing. For several reasons, she might not have fit into the culture of the retreat. There may also have been a wealth differential, they may not have had Taylor’s commitment to social justice (the retreat seems appalling short of this sensibility, given that they’ve exempted themselves from scrutiny), her Christian commitments (bible in tent), and clearly someone was making a lot of money at this retreat—it certainly wasn’t being spent on accommodations—which doesn’t jibe with the yoga theme.

I would be a nice gesture to bring 50 packs of butt wipes for the other attendees.
The aroma on those platforms must be mind-bending. There’s zero protection from your neighbors, and between sweat, seawater, inadequate facilities, overemphasis on vegetables, and grubby feet…

Of the 321 murders of trans and gender-nonconforming people reported worldwide from Oct. 1, 2022, to Sept. 30, 2023, 74% were committed in Latin America and the Caribbean, according to a study by the LGBTQ advocacy group Transgender Europe. The study also found that 91% of the worldwide trans murder victims were trans women or female-presenting and that the majority were people of color.

Of the 321 murders of trans and gender-nonconforming people reported worldwide from Oct. 1, 2022, to Sept. 30, 2023, 74% were committed in Latin America and the Caribbean, according to a study by the LGBTQ advocacy group Transgender Europe. The study also found that 91% of the worldwide trans murder victims were trans women or female-presenting and that the majority were people of color.

Those statistics are horrifying!

I came here to quote this exact paragraph. This does not bode well for Taylor. 74% in Latin America/the Carribbean alone? 91% present like Taylor and are black? I really, really hate to think she's become another statistic.

The fact that her mum said she sounded a bit odd on the Wednesday, she found the classes "intense", and that allegedly she didn't appear to settle in well with other guests, might make her want to cut loose and attend the alleged party. Maybe she wanted to put all the seriousness aside, perhaps loneliness, maybe a heavy or weird vibe from the ashram and just be free for a little bit. Perhaps as the only black person there she felt, or was made to feel, out of place. Perhaps a party outside the resort, quite possibly with some black people, who's culture she could possibly relate to, was what she needed that night to get her through the next 2 weeks. I believe she was just over halfway through her month long stay. Enough time to have settled in to a rhythm, but still enough time left that there wasn't really an end in sight.

What bothers me in this case, is that people will be coming and going every day from this island. By the look of it, they can arrive and leave by several of the docks. It appears possible for any local with a boat to cross from Nassau, is that right? Is there a helipad on Paradise Island for the rich and famous? I fear that if Taylor came to harm at the hands of someone, and not had an accident, that person is long gone, and there were no measures in place to try and stop that happening.

Last edited:
Thursday's press conference, scheduled for 8:30 a.m., comes days after the Royal Bahamas Police Force provided an update on their investigation.

"They came up negative with additional information," Fernander said, adding that officers, canines and marines were continuing to search the area.

Fernander noted that the force was also investigating another missing persons case involving Devon Issacs, a local 17-year-old boy who disappeared more than seven weeks ago.

"That is a concern for us," Fernander said. "No kind of indication, no calls came in that they had any sighting of him."

Both investigations come as Michael Johnson, Chief Supt. of the Royal Bahamas Police Force, on July 5 was placed on "garden leave" following recent social media circulation of "voice notes" involving Johnson.

"The Royal Bahamas police force has a proud history of service," Fernander said during the update. "Unfortunately, there may be instances where individuals fall short of our standards of integrity. This is painful, especially if found within senior ranks, nobody, and I repeat, nobody is above the law."

I came here to quote this exact paragraph. This does not bode well for Taylor. 74% in Latin America/the Carribbean alone? 91% present like Taylor and are black? I really, really hate to think she's become another statistic.

The fact that her mum said she sounded a bit odd on the Wednesday, she found the classes "intense", and that allegedly she didn't appear to settle in well with other guests, might make her want to cut loose and attend the alleged party. Maybe she wanted to put all the seriousness aside, perhaps loneliness, maybe a heavy or weird vibe from the ashram and just be free for a little bit. Perhaps as the only black person there she felt, or was made to feel, out of place. Perhaps a party outside the resort, quite possibly with some black people, who's culture she could possibly relate to, was what she needed that night to get her through the next 2 weeks. I believe she was just over halfway through her month long stay. Enough time to have settled in to a rhythm, but still enough time left that there wasn't really an end in sight.

What bothers me in this case, is that people will be coming and going every day from this island. By the look of it, they can arrive and leave by several of the docks. It appears possible for any local with a boat to cross from Nassau, is that right? Is there a helipad on Paradise Island for the rich and famous? I fear that if Taylor came to harm at the hands of someone, and not had an accident, that person is long gone, and there were no measures in place to try and stop that happening.
IMO a threat could come just as easily (perhaps more easily) from within the retreat, than some random connection on the beach. There was so much opportunity to be watched, scrutinized, and become the target of ill will on an extended basis.

After reading online reviews, I don’t think the retreat is at all a benign community. The problems that are being complained about reflect the internal feel of the place. And then, I look at that snippet of video ^^^ , and it very much confirms. My hair rises on my neck.

I don’t see how tracker dogs would work in this instance. Taylor could have gone to the beach and back multiple times before the night she went missing.

Do you think the black and Latino culture are more attuned to the macho culture than, let's say, white or Asian culture? Is seeing a male presenting himself as female viewed as an affront to their culture more than in other cultures? Based on this study done in 2016, black and Latino transgender populations are over represented on the overall percentage of the population within the US.

There seems to be a dichotomy within both cultures, imo, when it comes to conservativism based on religious roots especially when it comes to sexuality. Using the famous Brazilian parade Rio Carnival and the famous Toronto Caribana parade as examples, the women are very scantily dressed wearing fantastic, imaginative costumes that accent their female sensuality. There's a lot of dancing with overt sexual overtones by participants and attendees (of all cultures) celebrating that difference.

Gay-friendly Toronto has the largest population in Canada of LGBTQ, yet even within that community there is discrimination against transgender people, especially those of colour.

Even in RuPaul's Drag Race show black contestants seem to support the claim that within certain communities trans adults are overrepresented based on total population percentages.

Whether this has anything to do with Taylor's disappearance and she is a victim of misadventure vs foul play, I don't know. But those stats should be taken into consideration.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
radiodial
Back