GUILTY Bali - Bali Nine, Australians arrested for heroin trafficking, 2005

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Drugs kill. I have zero tolerance for whomever deals them. Just because they are Australian, it doesn't mean their lives are more important than the locals' who have been killed for the same crime.

Oh no, the 2nd judicial review has just been denied. :cry:

As Brightbird said up-thread, if the Aussie govt (Australian Federal Police) had arrested them here in Australia when they were entering the country with the heroin, instead of working with the Indonesians to arrest them in Indonesia, they would have served their sentences by now. :mad:

Or keep them in jail for the rest of their natural lives. If they don't want the expense of having them in an Indonesian jail, send them back here.

This really goes against the Aussie stance of no death penalty, for anyone. Not even the most heinous of mass murderers or multiple child molesters.

And they were taking the drugs OUT of Indonesia, not bringing them in.

If two people have ever been rehabilitated and are older and wiser, it is those two imo.

As Brightbird said up-thread, if the Aussie govt (Australian Federal Police) had arrested them here in Australia when they were entering the country with the heroin, instead of working with the Indonesians to arrest them in Indonesia, they would have served their sentences by now. :mad:

Or keep them in jail for the rest of their natural lives. If they don't want the expense of having them in an Indonesian jail, send them back here.

This really goes against the Aussie stance of no death penalty, for anyone. Not even the most heinous of mass murderers or multiple child molesters.

If two people have ever been rehabilitated and are older and wiser, it is those two imo.

bbm: you raise an excellent point.......

busted sitting on Australia bound plane??

I sincerely hope they are granted clemency at the eleventh hour. I signed the petition at the Mercy Campaign as many others did, unfortunately, it hasn't swayed the Indonesian President, no surprise really. Every day I check the news fearing they have been taken to the death camp to be shot. Myuran and Andrew's family must be suffering terribly, as well as these two guys. They've turned their lives around and were prepared for a long imprisonment, it just doesn't seem fair, imo. :(

There hasn't been much talk about it. The last tv news story I saw was that they are in the next group to be executed. I was reading comments under an article last week and they were pretty evenly split between for and against. I think the general view is that they knew the risk, and there's only so much sympathy for them. I think it's pretty much accepted now that they will be executed. There's a minority who think the punishment actually fits the crime. There's also criticism of the AFP for not arresting them in Australia.

They knew what they were getting into, no doubt. I pretty much felt like Lulu did until recently when I started reading everything I could about their cases. It changed my mind about their situation.

But I don't think anyone thinks Australians lives are worth more than anyone else's, although I will say I've never met an Aussie I didn't like! (But everyone knows it's really Texans whose lives are worth more than anyone else's.) :giggle:

Here's how arbitrary it is. If A and M had enough money for a bribe they wouldn't be executed. It so hypocritical. I don't have sympathy for drug dealers and I'm quite fine with them spending years, heck life in jail. I just don't agree with the corrupt and arbitrary way that suspects are sentenced to death. Judges are taking bribes, defense lawyers are on the take, it's a joke. If locals have money, they get off as well.

And now we've got rich little Miss Heather Mack going through the same system who will probably succeed in bribing her way out of the brutal murder of her mother and stuffing her in a suitcase. Murder, no problem. Bribe your way out. It's the most corrupt system I've ever seen.

I am reading a book called The Hotel Kerobokan, and even the guards there deal drugs with the prisoners, it's all so corrupt. All I know is I don't believe they deserve to be shot. Life in prison, fine.

Drug trafficking is NOT a victimless crime (MOO) but a country that easily executes all and sundry drug related convicts and releases murderers needs to re-examine their moral compass (MOO).

Convicted Bali Nine drug smugglers Andrew Chan and Myuran Sukumaran have still not given up their desperate bid to avoid the firing squad, sending a handwritten letter to the government begging for their lives.

The letter sent by the duo begged for a chance to serve the Indonesian community and benefit the rehabilitation process in prison.

Their lawyers say they are determined to keep fighting, and are searching for any more legal options available.

“None of us have given up hope,” Mr McMahon said.

Prime Minister Tony Abbott said the government had left no stone unturned in their bid to have the death sentence commuted, but ruled out the government engaging in last-minute “megaphone diplomacy”.

http://www.9news.com.au/world/2015/...y-with-handwritten-letter#w8RSRIkTd9ZcJJ1D.99

Vigils are being held all around the country. We heard about the large group that attended Music for Mercy in Martin Place, Sydney, last week. Now there are more happening.

"Campaigners have attended a vigil in Melbourne for Bali Nine duo Andrew Chan and Myuran Sukumaran.

Hundreds gathered at Federation Square in the hope the Indonesion Government will spare the lives of both men.

The vigil was organised by Amnesty International and was one of similar events held in Adelaide and Canberra."

http://www.skynews.com.au/news/top-...ran-plead-for-lives.html#sthash.YUr2t1xS.dpuf

Fellow inmates offer to die in place of Andrew Chan.

A sick prisoner whom Andrew Chan cradled in his arms minutes after learning he had lost his clemency plea has offered to die in the place of the man once described as the godfather of the Bali Nine.

In a heartfelt letter to the Indonesian president, 32-year-old inmate Rico Richardo said Chan had helped him when he almost died inside Bali's Kerobokan prison on January 23.

"It was Andrew Chan who insisted I got taken back to hospital," Richardo wrote. He said he did not have enough money to pay the hospital bill but Chan asked his lawyer to assist.

Another prisoner, Martin Jamanuna, also wrote he was willing to switch places.

:(

http://www.smh.com.au/world/fellow-...-in-place-of-andrew-chan-20150205-137gna.html

I think that was a misprint, newone.

I feel a bit differently about drug traffickers. Alcohol and tobacco ruin more lives than heroin. Prescription pain killers, that come from the same plant as heroin, ruin more lives. What I don't like about the illegal drug trade is the exploitation of people involved in making and moving the drugs, and the unpredictability of street drugs purity and strength. I don't believe drug users are victims though. If it weren't for users there'd be no business. Executing drug traffickers achieves nothing. In fact, I think it makes things worse. It drives up the price and increases the risks to all those involved. In Australia, we've seen amphetamines replace heroin with disastrous social effects. The war on drugs doesn't work, IMO.

Definitely a misprint. The heroin was supposed to come to Australia.

"The Bali Nine is the popular name given to a group of nine Australians arrested on 17 April 2005, in Denpasar, Bali, Indonesia, for planning to smuggle 8.3 kg (18 lb) of heroin valued at about A$4 million from Indonesia to Australia."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bali_Nine

"The two Australians have been in jail in Indonesia since 2005 after they were arrested with seven others while trying to smuggle heroin out of Bali."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-02-...group-to-face-indonesian-firing-squad/6063828

I meant to say this earlier SA, but these are all great points. Good post.

The Indonesian foreign affairs ministry has confirmed to the Australian Embassy in Jakarta that Andrew Chan and Myuran Sukumaran are due to face a firing squad this month.

Indonesian foreign ministry spokesman Armanatha Nasir told ABC News the ministry received notification from the Bali prosecutors office that Chan and Sukumaran are due for execution in February.

He said the Australian Embassy was informed last night.

However, the attorney-general's office, which is responsible for organising executions, is yet to decide on a date.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-02-06/bali-nine-pair-to-be-executed-in-february/6076806

:( :( :( :( :(

Foreign Minister Julie Bishop said the Government was continuing to make representations at the highest levels in Indonesia to save the men's lives.

"Australian citizens are on death row and will be executed by another government unless we can ... get a stay of execution - so we don't give up hope."

Meanwhile, human rights lawyer turned Victorian Supreme Court judge Lex Lasry has also joined the campaign to try to save the lives of Sukumaran and Chan.

"No one says they shouldn't be punished for what they've done. They don't say that, they just want their lives - and of course, it's not just them, it's their families."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-02-06/bali-nine-pair-to-be-executed-in-february/6076806

I also heard an interview yesterday on an Aussie radio station, with Barney Greenway of Napalm Death (one of the Indonesian President’s favourite death metal bands), about this …

Vocalist Mark "Barney" Greenway has posted a "direct appeal" to Mr Joko on Napalm Death's Facebook page - which has more than 700,000 fans - to "please spare the lives of Andrew Chan and Myuran Sukumaran".

"As a follower of our band Napalm Death, you would appreciate that our lyrics and ethos challenge the unbroken cycle of violence in the world, whether it comes from a state or as an individual," he wrote.

"I understand that you are standing as a leader determined to change things for the better, and so I believe granting clemency would be a major step forward in this pursuit of betterment. I appreciate that heroin can be damaging on many levels, but I believe that this is a much deeper issue that cannot be changed or altered by simply taking away the lives of people."

http://www.smh.com.au/world/metal-b...han-and-myuran-sukumaran-20150202-133xx0.html

Well, the media are certainly trying to do what they can. Publishing anything they can - hoping that it is being read in Indonesia. May the Grand Mufti's words resonate with Joko Widodo.

Two of the nation's most senior religious leaders have pleaded for clemency for two Australians on death row in Bali.

Sydney Catholic Archbishop Anthony Fisher and Grand Mufti Ibrahim Abu Mohammad urged Indonesian president Joko Widodo to save the men and grant them an opportunity to "make reparation to the communities they betrayed by their crimes".

The Grand Mufti said he was considering travelling to Indonesia to meet with religious leaders to discuss the fate of the inmates.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-02-...-plead-for-clemency-for-bali-nine-duo/6078384

I hope that they hurry to Indonesia this is a short month...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ceciliaesquivel2000@yahoo
Back