GUILTY Bali - Sheila von Wiese Mack, 62, found dead in suitcase, 12 Aug 2014 #1

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm still catching up so not sure if this has been covered yet...

'I don't know how long I can take this', sobs pregnant teenager accused of mother's Bali 'body in suitcase' murder as she's put into solitary confinement
*Heather Mack's lawyer reveals the desperate midnight phone call
*Mack and boyfriend accused of murdering Shiela von Wiese Mack in Bali and stuffing her body in a suitcase
*Chicago lawyer Michael Elkin said she is 'very scared' but he can't go to paradise island to be with her as he could face arrest himself
*Claims he's been told that if he goes to island he may be detained by police for claiming that Mack had been sexually assaulted in jail
*Mrs von Wiese Mack's brother said teen became more trouble after death of husband, Chicago composer James L Mack, in 2006
By MARTIN GOULD FOR MAILONLINE
PUBLISHED: 12:31 EST, 25 August 2014 | UPDATED: 17:43 EST, 25 August 2014

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-tearful-call-moved-solitary-confinement.html

Elkin said he has appointed a local Indonesian attorney to take the case and has aides on the island doing investigative work to help in her defence. Neither Heather nor Schaefer have yet been charged.

He said he has scrapped immediate plans to go to Bali because sources on the ground there have told him that he could be detained himself because of allegations he made that Heather had been sexually assaulted while in prison.

'It was completely my intention to go,' he said. 'But when my sources started telling me the authorities had the intention of detaining me I changed my mind. It is not that I am concerned for my physical safety more the logistical issues that would arise if I was detained.

'It would create tremendous problems because I am the only one with full details of everything that is going on.'

Last week Elkin made his claims that Heather had been sexually assaulted 'multiple times' inside her jail. He said she initially thought it was fellow inmates but later changed her mind saying not all the guards wear uniform.

The lawyer admitted he had to be circumspect when asking her what had happened because of fears their conversation was being monitored.

'I asked her if she was being mistreated and she said yes,' he told MailOnline at the time. 'I started going through questions and asked her if she had been touched inappropriately and she said yes. I asked her if it was in the female area and she said yes. I asked her if it was on more than one occasion and she said yes.

'I asked her if it was consensual and she said no. I could not go into the specifics of whether there was an actual rape or whether it was sexual assault, molesting, call it what you will. I cannot say for sure it was intercourse.'

After those allegations Heather was placed on suicide watch and in solitary confinement with a regular female guard.

Is that even a right that an arrested person in Bali would have, considering each nation has their own laws regarding this? Just bc Elkin is yammering from the mouth about meeting &/or speaking privately with a lawyer doesn't necessarily mean its even allowed in Indonesia anyway without Heather giving an initial statement to police.

I added an ETA to my post, that I can't find anything that says private meetings with a lawyer are stipulated in their laws. Have only found that in 2001 they agreed to let a detainee have a lawyer (Human Rights/CAT agreement) .. so now they seem to provide a lawyer if you don't have one.

I added an ETA to my post, that I can't find anything that says private meetings with a lawyer are stipulated in their laws. Have only found that in 2001 they agreed to let a detainee have a lawyer (Human Rights/CAT agreement) .. so now they seem to provide a lawyer if you don't have one.

SouthAussie, you've provided so much valuable info on this thread - as well as other I might add! Thank you.

So we don't even know if Heather or Tommy have that right but Elkin still spews this stuff to the media? I just cannot fathom hiring a lawyer that knows nothing about international law relating to murder charges. It doesn't make the least bit of sense.

OR ... ?? sly as a fox ??? ... int'l publicity vs potentially banned from Bali/Indonesia ... publicity vs Bali ... PUBLICITY!!!!!
JMO

Interesting line of thought Quester. So either way its publicity, right? Wow, didn't even think of that. Thought maybe he was just a simple blowhard.

SouthAussie, you've provided so much valuable info on this thread - as well as other I might add! Thank you.

So we don't even know if Heather or Tommy have that right but Elkin still spews this stuff to the media? I just cannot fathom hiring a lawyer that knows nothing about international law relating to murder charges. It doesn't make the least bit of sense.

Thanks Jersey Girl. Lots of us are finding good info out there. I just don't understand Elkin at all. I mean, if we can find this info by doing simple internet searches and reading what we find, he (or his office) can too. He just sits there spouting garbage to the media .. and as a previous poster said, he looks ridiculous even in the eyes of his peers.

Just adding, why would they leave HM alone with anyone, at any time? With her allegations of sexual misconduct ....

The lawyer said she was shocked at her bad press. Is she going to try and say she didn't know her mother was in the suitcase when her bf carried it out? When she tried to get into her mother's safe? When she ran out the back door and tried to talk her way onto a plane out of Bali? Too much!

And let's not forget that blood has a very distinct smell. You can't not smell it.

FWIW, I don't see anything planned about the murder at all. I believe there was a heated out of control argument which culminated with someone hitting Sheila in the head/face with a heavy object, and some really stupid moves in the ensuing panic after she died, but I don't see this as being premeditated at all. Callous and cold hearted in dealing with the aftermath, yeah I see that. I don't think HM was particularly upset about what happened as far as the loss of her mother was concerned. I think she automatically went into self preservation mode. I guess they both did.

MOO

Except that Tommy owed a friend of his money and told him he'd give it back to him when he got back from Bali bc he'd have ALOT of money then. That's the only thing I can think of bc the other remark he posted about "might not come back" is what many people would say when visiting a beautiful tropical resort.

I'm thinking along the lines that it wasn't planned either. I'm leaning towards Heather fighting with her mom over Tommy's room bill bc Heather probably did this stuff without her mom's permission, throwing the lamp & knicknacks in heated bratty anger at her mom which in turn killed her, Tommy went to the room to help clean up which puts his prints on stuff, they hastily try to hide evidence in the suitcases putting some in the cab & hiding some in the garden, contrive a cockamamie story about a gang, try to get passports bc their other ones were locked away in a safe obviously unbeknownst to them that Sheila said only she could touch the contents of the safe, then have sex presumedly at a different hotel maybe bc they new they'd get caught and not be able to for awhile omgosh the list goes on. It just doesn't seem preplanned to me. I'm thinking the murder stems from a heat of the moment rage.

Thx!

I'm still stuck on: "We found scars on both forearms and the broken left-hand fingernail," Alit said following an external examination.

http://abcnews.go.com/International/wireStory/us-couple-indonesian-resort-charged-murder-24992099

And, wondering if it could be HM's broken left-hand fingernail???

In the following link, Check out the second video, the one with the heading: "FBI help Bali police probe woman found dead inside suitcase". It looks to me as if HM's nails are all long except the left-hand ring finger - see at 1:12 :

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-tearful-call-moved-solitary-confinement.html

Sheila had a broken finger. Could the broken fingernail be a simple mistake in DM's reporting? Maybe?

Do not post donation sites on WS's. It is against TOS. And do not respond to a post that has one, alert please. I had to remove 6 posts.

http://tablet.oakpark.com/News/Arti...-client/?utm_referrer=https://www.google.com/

http://www.oakpark.com/News/Article...-client/?utm_referrer=https://www.google.com/

Elkin said today in an extended telephone interview with Wednesday Journal that he and his legal team were denied access to Mack for four days, prior to a 15-minute conversation with the 18-year-old yesterday around noon.

Elkin, who remains in Chicago, said that in his brief conversation Mack told him that it would be the last phone call she would be allowed to make.

He said he has not travelled to the country because his presence "may create a press fiasco, which would be beneficial to me but detrimental to her."

The international press coverage the story has gained could work against her in the court of public opinion, Elkin said.

Except that Tommy owed a friend of his money and told him he'd give it back to him when he got back from Bali bc he'd have ALOT of money then. That's the only thing I can think of bc the other remark he posted about "might not come back" is what many people would say when visiting a beautiful tropical resort.

I'm thinking along the lines that it wasn't planned either. I'm leaning towards Heather fighting with her mom over Tommy's room bill bc Heather probably did this stuff without her mom's permission, throwing the lamp & knicknacks in heated bratty anger at her mom which in turn killed her, Tommy went to the room to help clean up which puts his prints on stuff, they hastily try to hide evidence in the suitcases putting some in the cab & hiding some in the garden, contrive a cockamamie story about a gang, try to get passports bc their other ones were locked away in a safe obviously unbeknownst to them that Sheila said only she could touch the contents of the safe, then have sex presumedly at a different hotel maybe bc they new they'd get caught and not be able to for awhile omgosh the list goes on. It just doesn't seem preplanned to me. I'm thinking the murder stems from a heat of the moment rage.

I see what your saying. Imo TS could have made a right turn instead of a left. If it happened this way he could have said oh NO I'm not helping you out, I'm going down to the front desk to get security. TS is tall and strong imaging him handling Mrs Mack's body he's up to his eyeballs in murder. Jmo

ciao

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member