Baltimore, MD - Container Ship Strikes Francis Scott Key Bridge - Mass Casualty Situation

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Are there always this many close calls with cargo ships and bridges? Seems like there's another one every week or so. Probably due to more traffic, bigger ships, less experienced crews, ship maintenance, etc.

IMO it's almost a given that the remainder of the bridge will be demolished, for the following reasons:
  • the new bridge will be wider, with Interstate-standard shoulders, while the old one had no shoulders at all
  • being constructed from 1972 to 1977, it has essentially reached 50 years of age, the end of its functional life
  • it does not meet modern standards for factors like resilience to ship collision and to seismicity
  • since a significant portion of the approaches (even their concrete piers) were pulled down by the collapsing main span, the remaining structure should be suspect as well
JMO

BALTIMORE —
The Unified Command is planning to open the permanent 700-foot-wide, 50-foot-deep Fort McHenry Channel, to regain full access back to the Port of Baltimore, Saturday.

This is happening after the last large piece of steel was removed from the channel this week, according to the chief of operations for the United States Coast Guard Sector Maryland-National Capital Region, Cmdr. Baxter Smoak.

"After this weekend, they'll still be some dredging, (conducting) survey operations and some removal of small debris outside of the channel," Smoak told 11 News. "That will go on till about mid-month, but then after that, everything on the water will be back as it was pre-collapse."

ETA further quote
As for the Dali ship, Smoak said salvage efforts are still ongoing. So far, the roadway and the steel underneath the roadway have been removed from the ship while it remains at the Seagirt Marine Terminal. Currently, crews are working to remove the large concrete pillars from the bridge that are still sitting on the bow of the ship. Smoak said the Dali can't offload the containers in Baltimore.

Last edited:

Great news

DH and I took his boat up to Baltimore tonight and snapped some photos for you all. Photo below is approaching bridge area from the Chesapeake Bay, after passing the Patapsco (white) rocks and Stony Creek.

The experience of seeing in real life and up close what remains of the Key Bridge and the current situation on the Dali, left me with no accurate description except maybe horror.

What was most profound was to rock back and forth in hubby’s not-so-little boat and still feel the size of a minnow under the height of the bridge’s cut edge. The Navy Hymn came to mind as I imagined, with great sadness, the last seconds of those poor, bewildered men dropping through the air with the pavement and steel.

(Photos in several posts that follow.)
IMG_5795.jpeg

Last edited:
South / West end of Key Bridge remains. View seen tonight leaving Baltimore harbor heading out to Chesapeake Bay.

Attachments

• IMG_5832.jpeg
    IMG_5832.jpeg
    84.8 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_5839.jpeg
    IMG_5839.jpeg
    119 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
The Dali moored in Inner Harbor, Baltimore, as seen tonight. The closeup image allows you to see that great chunks of the bridge still rest on the deck.

Attachments

• IMG_5824.jpeg
    IMG_5824.jpeg
    83.5 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_5817.jpeg
    IMG_5817.jpeg
    149.4 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_5828.jpeg
    IMG_5828.jpeg
    132.6 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
DH and I took his boat up to Baltimore tonight and snapped some photos for you all. Photo below is approaching bridge area from the Chesapeake Bay, after passing the Patapsco (white) rocks and Stony Creek.

The experience of seeing in real life and up close what remains of the Key Bridge and the current situation on the Dali, left me with no accurate description except maybe horror.

What was most profound was to rock back and forth in hubby’s not-so-little boat and still feel the size of a minnow under the height of the bridge’s cut edge. The Navy Hymn came to mind as I imagined, with great sadness, the last seconds of those poor, bewildered men dropping through the air with the pavement and steel.

View attachment 510418
@LetsSolvIt thank you for sharing your photos and your heartfelt post in honor of those who lost their lives.

The Dali moored in Inner Harbor, Baltimore, as seen tonight. The closeup image allows you to see that great chunks of the bridge still rest on the deck.
Thank you so much for sharing with us those amazing photos and your feelings as you viewed the remains of the bridge. May those who died rest peacefully.

Thanks Lets! Amazing images…… and yes, so sad for those men lost….. :( and all the damage and destruction as well.

That third image, the one on the right….. (and I am no seaman so my terms may be off) - that is one heck of a gash down the side of that ship! Much further down that it seemed originally. Wonder how much of the Dali is compromised and how it is to be rebuilt? If so. MOO

Thanks Lets! Amazing images…… and yes, so sad for those men lost….. :( and all the damage and destruction as well.

That third image, the one on the right….. (and I am no seaman so my terms may be off) - that is one heck of a gash down the side of that ship! Much further down that it seemed originally. Wonder how much of the Dali is compromised and how it is to be rebuilt? If so. MOO
Will ask hubby about the Dali’s seaworthiness. Will let you know what I learn — there might also be info on this up thread.

Will ask hubby about the Dali’s seaworthiness. Will let you know what I learn — there might also be info on this up thread.
Thanks again Lets! And appreciate the input and insight. IIRC up thread there were reports that Dali might be moved to a location nearby for repairs which could take months. I am no civil or structural or maritime, but after seeing that picture of the gash…. and with the weight on the stern and the several weeks that ship floated and sunk with the tide….. I wonder if it really going to be repaired? MOO

Ps and not questioning you or hubby’s opinion….. just asking a question. Thx!

Thanks again Lets! And appreciate the input and insight. IIRC up thread there were reports that Dali might be moved to a location nearby for repairs which could take months. I am no civil or structural or maritime, but after seeing that picture of the gash…. and with the weight on the stern and the several weeks that ship floated and sunk with the tide….. I wonder if it really going to be repaired? MOO

Ps and not questioning you or hubby’s opinion….. just asking a question. Thx!
Yes, I agree with you about how it can be repaired but maybe with new inside support structures and lots of welding. IDK. Actually hubby is no expert and not an engineer but always has an opinion after lifelong experience with boats. Consider the source ;)

View attachment 510418

I can't describe the feelings I get looking at your picture. Almost shock at first, even though I've seen other pictures already. Yours is somehow more powerful. I can imagine how solemn the atmosphere must've felt there for you. Thank you for the pictures.

I can't describe the feelings I get looking at your picture. Almost shock at first, even though I've seen other pictures already. Yours is somehow more powerful. I can imagine how solemn the atmosphere must've felt there for you. Thank you for the pictures.
I’m so glad you all have appreciated the photos. Happy we were close enough this weekend to give WS’ers greater insight.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back