'Barefoot Contessa' taking heat for repeatedly rejecting 'Make-A-Wish' cancer patient

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I don't do Facebook or any other social network, but I've followed the discussion about Ina Garten on Food Network's blog. Here's the link for those who might be interested:

http://blog.foodnetwork.com/fn-dish...refoot-contessas-coconut-macaroons/#idc-cover

Bon Appetit!

Pretty angry commenters over there. I wonder how many of those people do volunteer work at their local children's hospitals or giving of themselves in any way? I guess it's easier to worry about somebody else's backyard than tending to their own?

Some folks are verrrrrry vested in this situation! Wowsers! :crazy:

I just hope that Enzo enjoys whatever is offered him, and he is treated well-- and, of course, that Ina learns a lesson about public opinion. jmo

I heard about this on line and thought I'd stop on this thread and read what everyone thought about this. I guess my opinion will not be a popular one.I am not a big BC fan,I do admit I have watched her show and tried some of her recipes. That being said, when I read about the little boy,I had to read further to get additional info. When my grand kids are over the house and I'm watching F/N they have ALWAYS asked to change the channel or went to another room to watch another show. I don't know of many 6Year olds who watch the show, If I remember reading correctly the MOTHER watched the show when she was visiting the child in the hospital,so it was the MOTHER who was into Ina and NOT the child. I understand that Ina does not have children and some people cannot deal emotionally or mentally with sickness or death. IMHO to ruin someone's life long career is just as devastating as this child's illness.I don't think that Ina deserved for this to happen to her career at this stage of her life. Do I think her people could have handled this better?Yes I do. As far as PR goes this was terrible. If it had been my child,you would not have had to say NO but one time, I would have moved on to something/someone else. Again, I can't think of too many 6 Years olds who are dying to meet the B/C. So IMHO I am suspect of the whole matter.:innocent:

I heard about this on line and thought I'd stop on this thread and read what everyone thought about this. I guess my opinion will not be a popular one.I am not a big BC fan,I do admit I have watched her show and tried some of her recipes. That being said, when I read about the little boy,I had to read further to get additional info. When my grand kids are over the house and I'm watching F/N they have ALWAYS asked to change the channel or went to another room to watch another show. I don't know of many 6Year olds who watch the show, If I remember reading correctly the MOTHER watched the show when she was visiting the child in the hospital,so it was the MOTHER who was into Ina and NOT the child. I understand that Ina does not have children and some people cannot deal emotionally or mentally with sickness or death. IMHO to ruin someone's life long career is just as devastating as this child's illness.I don't think that Ina deserved for this to happen to her career at this stage of her life. Do I think her people could have handled this better?Yes I do. As far as PR goes this was terrible. If it had been my child,you would not have had to say NO but one time, I would have moved on to something/someone else. Again, I can't think of too many 6 Years olds who are dying to meet the B/C. So IMHO I am suspect of the whole matter.:innocent:

Interesting take! I'm beginning to wonder if there isn't more to the story myself.

Interesting take! I'm beginning to wonder if there isn't more to the story myself.

Personally I am wondering where her PR people are,this should have never gotten to this point. I understand that her decision may not be popular with some people but the last time I looked at my mail I lived in the good ol USA and in this country you are free to say NO. I used the link to F/N and the call for her show to be cancelled is just mean spirited.I personally think it is an organized campaign,which again makes me suspect of the whole story.Maybe Mom has some issues, I don't know.but who gets this amount of publicity from a blog and WHO called TMZ? If I were Ina meet with the little boy if they still wanted,but I'd have my attys,start looking into this smear campaign and when I got to the bottom of this barrel,lawsuits would be flying for defamation of character and ruining my career. In this country because someone says NO, you should not be able to ruin that person's life and livlihood,that it took them YEARS to build up. Again,not a big INA fan but this is out and out bullying IMHO Fight them INA FIGHT!!!!!!:twocents:

And it worked.

For those who doubted TMZ, well MSM reported the story...via ABC. And she caved to the pressure, so whatever schedule she had that was solidly set in stone apparently had some wiggle room.

I guess there is nothing fishy about the family. I am happy at the outcome provided Enzo still wants to hang with her.

I think he should pick Michael Symon, but it isnt my wish. ;)

or guy f, from diner's drive-ins n dives. he is an absolute hoot. then again, its not my wish :)

Personally I am wondering where her PR people are,this should have never gotten to this point. I understand that her decision may not be popular with some people but the last time I looked at my mail I lived in the good ol USA and in this country you are free to say NO. I used the link to F/N and the call for her show to be cancelled is just mean spirited.I personally think it is an organized campaign,which again makes me suspect of the whole story.Maybe Mom has some issues, I don't know.but who gets this amount of publicity from a blog and WHO called TMZ? If I were Ina meet with the little boy if they still wanted,but I'd have my attys,start looking into this smear campaign and when I got to the bottom of this barrel,lawsuits would be flying for defamation of character and ruining my career. In this country because someone says NO, you should not be able to ruin that person's life and livlihood,that it took them YEARS to build up. Again,not a big INA fan but this is out and out bullying IMHO Fight them INA FIGHT!!!!!!:twocents:

It is bullying, and emotional blackmail of the worst kind. The blog getting leaked to TMZ is very suspect IMO. Give it a few days, the truth will eventually come out if there is more to it.

I don't know of many 6Year olds who watch the show, If I remember reading correctly the MOTHER watched the show when she was visiting the child in the hospital,so it was the MOTHER who was into Ina and NOT the child.
Again, I can't think of too many 6 Years olds who are dying to meet the B/C. So IMHO I am suspect of the whole matter.:innocent:

It's also nobody's business whether or not a 6-year-old actually enjoys a cooking show, or whether it was really his mother's idea. The point is is that's what his wish is. I don't find it unusual that a child would enjoy the cooking shows on today vs. the era of Julia Child (booooring!!!):twocents:
My child enjoys many of the shows on Food Network and has for a few years now: Iron Chef America, The Next Food Network Star, Good Eats, Rachel Ray, Dinner Impossible, Restaurant Impossible, Ace of Cakes, Cupcake Wars, and the cake challenge ones (Don't know the title).
Quoting myself in response.

or guy f, from diner's drive-ins n dives. he is an absolute hoot. then again, its not my wish :)
Guy Fieri is opening a new restaurant in my area. I'll let you know how it is...

Quoting myself in response.

I respect your opinion but it is MY understanding that the Make a Wish Foundation (I'm very familiar with it having worked in a children's hospital) makes the WISH for the CHILD not the PARENT. If Enzo's mother wanted to meet Ina she should have gone to a home show in her area,and not wasted a 6 year old MAW on HER dream date. JMHO :twocents:

From reading the mother's blog and the way she speaks of this child, it is clear that she has nothing but love and respect and adoration for the boy. I think it is extremely unfair for those of us who do not know her in any way to imply that she would EVER sacrifice her child's true wish to get something for herself. I can simply not IMO fathom that this could be inferred just because the wish might be unusual for a child. My son at that age sometimes spent his Saturday mornings watching "This Old House" and NEVER, EVER was interested in watching any type of cartoons. At six, he would have chosen Bob Villa over the Ninja turtles, Superman, Disney World or any other "kid" celebrity in a flash. Most people would have considered that strange for a child, but choices like that are what make kids special and set them apart from the norm.

jmo

From reading the mother's blog and the way she speaks of this child, it is clear that she has nothing but love and respect and adoration for the boy. I think it is extremely unfair for those of us who do not know her in any way to imply that she would EVER sacrifice her child's true wish to get something for herself. I can simply not IMO fathom that this could be inferred just because the wish might be unusual for a child. My son at that age sometimes spent his Saturday mornings watching "This Old House" and NEVER, EVER was interested in watching any type of cartoons. At six, he would have chosen Bob Villa over the Ninja turtles, Superman, Disney World or any other "kid" celebrity in a flash. Most people would have considered that strange for a child, but choices like that are what make kids special and set them apart from the norm.
jmo

Thank you for your thoughtful post. Your son is probably very bright and has interests that seem unusual to others, but I understand completely :) One year when I was teaching third grade catechism, I had a youngster who said that his favorite TV show was "Yan Can Cook". I was curious about the show because I had never watched it. My student told me all about the cooking show and why he enjoyed watching Martin Yan create delicious meals. I was quite impressed and did not find his interest so unusual for an intelligent boy.

My 4 year old loves the Weather Channel, go figure. But I don't discourage it because if it gets him interested in science, that's fine with me.

Simply publishing negative information about someone is not defamation, unless it's false. It might have taken her years to build up her career, but we do have freedom of speech in this country. If her representatives did turn down Make a Wish foundation twice on meeting with the boy, then what's published is correct and not defamation. If that was a made up story, only then would it be defamation, and I've seen nothing to suggest it is a made up story.

No matter what, she should do the right thing.

There was nothing for Ina to do once this "story" broke...damage done.

I sense that some people may not believe a boy could be interested in a cooking show.

From my own experiences as a mother I know that isn't true. My son used to love watching Top Chef and other cooking shows, and at fifteen he still loves to cook.

Because of that I wouldn't assume that it was "Mom's Choice" to have Ina Gartner, and I bet the Make-A-Wish-Foundation is smart enough to know the difference between what a kid wants and what an adult wants. Geesh!

No, Ina didn't have to do it - she can be free now, just as I am free not to watch her stupid show anymore. :banghead:

My five year old just today was fighting with his older sister over the TV ,he wanteD to watch a cooking show and she was saying " it is a dumb cooking show!" I think boy enjoy those show much more then girls. I hate em.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Oma-of-9
Back