BC Coroners Service launches map of 200 unsolved/unidentified persons

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

puppyraiser

Reaction score
New map charts almost 200 unsolved investigations into human remains found across B.C.
"...
The B.C. Coroners Service has now launched an interactive map marking locations where such remains have been discovered with the hope of generating fresh tips that could help determine who these people are and how they died.

"If we can embrace technology and make things better for a family that's got no answers on something, all the better," said Andy Watson, spokesperson for the coroners service, which investigates unnatural, sudden and unexpected, unexplained or unattended deaths in the province..."

New map charts almost 200 unsolved investigations into human remains found across B.C. | CBC News

Link to map:
ArcGIS Web Application

New map charts almost 200 unsolved investigations into human remains found across B.C.
"...
The B.C. Coroners Service has now launched an interactive map marking locations where such remains have been discovered with the hope of generating fresh tips that could help determine who these people are and how they died.

"If we can embrace technology and make things better for a family that's got no answers on something, all the better," said Andy Watson, spokesperson for the coroners service, which investigates unnatural, sudden and unexpected, unexplained or unattended deaths in the province..."

New map charts almost 200 unsolved investigations into human remains found across B.C. | CBC News

Link to map:
ArcGIS Web Application

Wow!

“The remains of close to 200 people have been found across B.C. over the past 60 years, but have never been identified. They include:

A man in a park wearing a luxury Swiss watch with grass cuttings on his clothes, found in the spring of 1971.
A man wearing a years-old concert T-shirt from a Romantics tour, found in the winter of 1994.
Twin girls, less than a year old, found along the lakeshore at a provincial park in the fall of 1994.”

bc-coroners-service-remains-map.jpg

“Three of the sketches included on the B.C. Coroners Service's map of locations where unidentified human remains were found in the province. The woman at left was found near Mission on Feb. 15, 1995. The man in the centre was found near North Bend on Dec. 22, 1989. The woman on the right was found near Kamloops on Sept. 2”

—much more at link.

Thank you for creating this thread, @puppyraiser :)

( @carbuff, check out this thread :)

I wonder how many of these listed here have WS threads?(@Gardener1850 may want to take a peek as well :) )

Last edited:
Very interesting!
a2-0327-map-clr-jpg.jpg

"Each entry on the map shows the approximate location where the remains were found, case numbers for contact purposes and a summary of key information related to each unresolved case.

The earliest file listed is the 1953 Babes in the Woods case involving two boys found dead in Stanley Park. The most recent case involves remains that were found last year.

Also on the list:

• The body of a man with long grey sideburns was found in Beacon Hill Park in 1988. Wearing a blue cotton waist-length jacket, blue shirt, blue pants and black loafers, he had been dead between two weeks and three months.

• The remains of a 40- to 70-year-old man found at Esquimalt Lagoon Dec. 30, 2008, were clad in black or blue corduroy pants, size 10 white Reeboks and black socks. He had been dead between two months and a year.

• The remains of a woman aged between 60 and 90 were found in the strait a couple of kilometres off Metchosin in January 1978.

• Isotope testing shows a man found by Ker Island east of Sidney in 2012 had been born after 1950. He had been dead between 10 and 50 years

• Also dead for that long was someone of unknown gender, aged between 60 and 75, found on the Saanich Peninsula in 1974. Whoever it was wore a gold watch, had dentures and had suffered from a disease of the spinal cord.

• Authorities hope a pair of distinctive running shoes will solve the mystery of two disarticulated feet found at Port Renfrew in February 2016. The feet were in a type of men’s size 12 black and blue New Balance shoes produced after March 2013.

Some cases come with very little information, such as a body of unknown sex or age found near 100 Mile House in 1983. The person was estimated to be between five-feet and five-feet-six inches tall and the body was likely there between 10 and 50 years before it was discovered.

Other cases are quite detailed, such as the body of a 30- to 40-year-old man found near Kamloops in 1983 with tattoos that say “Edna,” “Mary C,” “Love,” “Marlene,” and a crossed-out “Karene.”

A similar map exists in the United States, called the National Missing and Unidentified Persons System, but Watson said he believes this is a first for Canada."

What a huge amount of info. So many UID's. Good to have an interactive tool though, must have been a tremendous job to built it. The info if you click on an UID is very sparse, what I can understand, but it isn't very appealing. My systematic brain says; I need to break this info down in logical pieces. :) Also a petty there isn't a direct link to the missing and unidentified database of Canada. I think some of them have recons or more info, context. Or did I miss that?

The foot map I saw on another thread... does that have it's own thread? How can those not be related? Creepy!!!

The foot map I saw on another thread... does that have its own thread? How can those not be related? Creepy!!!
I've heard in a podcast that they speculate the feet are from different suicides or boating accidents... but after the Isreal Keye's cases who really knows....

So like. Just some shoes, hanging out with feet in them? Why was that the only of the part of the body found???

Interesting. And those are just the ones that they actually found. Lots of area up there.

Saw a movie about a serial killer in Alaska the other night, and really believe that there are probably a lot of "missing" people up there...

So like. Just some shoes, hanging out with feet in them? Why was that the only of the part of the body found???

There is an episode of My Favorite Murder that addresses the mystery of feet in shoes appearing off Washington State coast. It's ... weirdly common in that region?

Also, do we know if there is a thread in The Unidentified forum for the Whistler John Doe discovered in 2014? Lots of really interesting details given what was found around him at the scene. Surely there's someone looking for him.

Last edited:
There is an episode of My Favorite Murder that addresses the mystery of feet in shoes appearing off Washington State coast. It's ... weirdly common in that region?

Also, do we know if there is a thread in The Unidentified forum for the Whistler John Doe discovered in 2014? Lots of really interesting details given what was found around him at the scene. Surely there's someone looking for him.
Could not immediately find a thread, started this one..
CANADA - Male,white,50-65,5'6''-5'10'',long grey hair,Sorel boots,size 11,Whistler BC,Nov 2013

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alexoing
Back