Belize - Francesca Matus, 52, & Drew De Voursney, 36, murdered, Corozal, 25 Apr 2017

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life...you-should-know-about-safety/article34885583/
[h=1]Considering a trip to Belize? Here’s what you should know about safety[/h] ADAM BISBY

Special to The Globe and Mail

Published Wednesday, May 03, 2017

Recent visitor bloodshed is casting a long shadow over the travel industry in Belize.
What can travellers do to stay safe?

Ottawa’s current risk level for Belize means that “travellers should be alert and vigilant to their surroundings.” Other safety recommendations include:

• Avoiding isolated areas, including unsupervised beaches, especially at night.
  • Travelling in groups, ensuring that personal belongings and documents are secure and avoiding displays of affluence.
  • Using a reputable, experienced tour guide when visiting archeological sites or trekking.
  • Never leaving food or drinks unattended or in the care of strangers, and being wary of accepting snacks, beverages, gum or cigarettes from new acquaintances, as they may contain drugs used in sexual assaults.
  • Using taxis after dark instead of walking and only using registered taxis with green licence plates.
  • Registering with the Canadian consulate in Belize City or Canadian embassy in Guatemala by calling (502) 2363-4348 or visiting guatemala.gc.ca.
What else should travellers watch out for?
Ottawa adds that there are “identifiable security concerns” beyond the aforementioned criminal activities. These include:

• Demonstrations and large gatherings that can turn violent. Travellers are advised to follow the advice of local authorities and media in this regard.
  • Poorly maintained and illuminated roads, with traffic accidents occurring “regularly.” Avoid driving after dark, especially on unpaved rural roads, and be careful crossing bridges, as many only have one lane. Be sure to have a full tank of gas in remote areas, as service stations are scarce and usually close for holidays. There are no emergency road services, and stopping to offer assistance to others is not advised.

http://people.com/crime/drew-devoursney-dead-belize-family-friends-want-answers/
[h=1]Family, Friends Seek Answers After Missing Veteran Is Killed in Belize: ‘Things Are Not Adding Up[/h]
Trinh tells PEOPLE that her fiancé, Brandon Barfield, is in Belize now with DeVoursney’s younger brother, David. They traveled to the Central American country on Tuesday to retrieve Drew’s remains and personal belongings — and to look for the truth.
The couple was leaving a farewell party for Matus, who planned to fly to Toronto the next day, Trinh says.

She says neither drank very much, and they headed home hoping to enjoy some time alone as it was “their last night together.”

They said their goodbyes and then “they were just gone,” Trinh says.
Trinh says that Barfield and David had been unable to see Drew’s body after landing in Belize because authorities said the body was a “health hazard.” It was not immediately clear if that had changed.
Char, his mom, said he bought four acres in Belize about four years ago, as an investment.) Drew said it was “definitely a different place,” Trinh recalls — and that it seemed that crime had increased.
“As we were flying out this morning, we received a call saying [Drew’s] body might be cremated/buried before we land. The US Embassy did intervene and asked for the Belizean authority to hold off on any decisions regarding the bodies without the families’ consent. The Belizean authority did honor this request.”

Barfield and David plan to return to the U.S. on Thursday with Drew’s remains, Trinh says. From there, they hope to hire a private investigator to return to Corozal

Drew's friend confirmed they were able to stop the Belizean authorities from cremating Drew's body, and posted that the FBI is on the way to conduct their own investigation.

(update #8 )

"All I know is not enough," said Char DeVoursney about the case that police are now classifying as a murder. "I know that the vehicle was found about two days before their bodies were found."

"They said that their hands were duct taped, they were strangled, and the bodies had been decomposing for at least five days," she added. "They can't send his body back because it's so decomposed, they have to cremate him."

"I can't figure it out at all, it just sounds so bizarre to me," she said.

on mark 2:28 of Good Morning America VIDEO:
Opinion of former FBI Special Agent ABC News Consultant echoes the same feeling we have here, that it was not a run of the mill robbery, not random.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/mother-american-man-killed-belize/story?id=47169513

http://www.torontosun.com/2017/05/03/canadian-murdered-in-belize-had-been-threatened-cops

Similar to the Belize report - Canadian murdered in Belize had been threatened: Cops

I'm definitely leaning towards something related to money, land, and a deal that didn't sit well with someone.

"Detectives are working on a number of theories including robbery, jealousy and a possible real estate deal that may have gone sideways.

“We are looking at some threats that were made,” Sr. Supt. Dennis Arnold said, adding the threats were made against Matus, a real estate investor."

http://www.torontosun.com/2017/05/03/canadian-murdered-in-belize-had-been-threatened-cops

Interesting that once LE in Belize realized the seriousness of this crime involving victims from both the US and Canada, meaning they would be subject to questions from representatives from both countries, the implausible "robbery" story they first tried to peddle was abandoned.

Maybe this time, they might actually find themselves accountable for actually trying to solve this crime. That's if they care at all about their tourism and expat retirement investments.

Also interesting that as soon as they realized the press this was getting in both countries, the theory has changed to someone within their own circle being responsible. A foreigner of course. :rolleyes:

Wonder what the perp(s) needed with a couple of cell phones and a car battery? :waitasec:

MOO

Interesting that once LE in Belize realized the seriousness of this crime involving victims from both the US and Canada, meaning they would be subject to questions from representatives from both countries, the implausible "robbery" story they first tried to peddle was abandoned.

Maybe this time, they might actually find themselves accountable for actually trying to solve this crime. That's if they care at all about their tourism and expat retirement investments.

Also interesting that as soon as they realized the press this was getting in both countries, the theory has changed to someone within their own circle being responsible. A foreigner of course. :rolleyes:

Wonder what the perp(s) needed with a couple of cell phones and a car battery? :waitasec:

MOO

From the beginning I was thinking this is the first case I've followed where one murder victim is from the USA and the other is from Canada. That's a lot of potential investors paying attention, and a lot of people who are not accepting of the very lazy "probably a robbery" garbage. It's obvious to most that this was not a robbery ... the Belize police must think Canadians and people from the USA are really stupid if they think that everyone will go away and forget about it with a "robbery" suggestion.

From the beginning I was thinking this is the first case I've followed where one murder victim is from the USA and the other is from Canada. That's a lot of potential investors paying attention, and a lot of people who are not accepting of the very lazy "probably a robbery" garbage. It's obvious to most that this was not a robbery ... the Belize police must think Canadians and people from the USA are really stupid if they think that everyone will go away and forget about it with a "robbery" suggestion.
rbbm
Especially when a car battery and phones are taken, but not any jewelry.
Wondering if the battery was taken so that someone could " help out ", or worse?( thinking of the brownish stain found in the car) were the phones taken because of incriminating contact numbers or pics?
speculation, imo.
http://cnews.canoe.com/CNEWS/Crime/2017/05/03/22721907.html
Initially, investigators believed the slayings were a botched robbery. While Matus still had her jewelry on, the battery from her 1998 Isuzu Rodeo was gone as were their cell phones. Police earlier said the couple “had a lot of money on them.”

rbbm
Especially when a car battery and phones are taken, but not any jewelry.
Wondering if the battery was taken so that someone could " help out ", or worse?( thinking of the brownish stain found in the car) were the phones taken because of incriminating contact numbers or pics?
speculation, imo.
http://cnews.canoe.com/CNEWS/Crime/2017/05/03/22721907.html

When I read about the brownish stains, I automatically thought blood. Initially it was said that autopsy could not be completed because of decomposition, then all of a sudden we read that they were strangled. When Drew's brother was on the plane to see for himself, police needed FBI intervention to stop their plan to immediately cremate the bodies. When the brother did arrive, police said he could not see the body because it is toxic. Police seem to be doing everything they can to sweep this under the carpet, hide the facts, and avoid doing anything to resolve this double murder.

I'm pretty sure that "they had a lot of money on them" was a deliberate lie, and I think that the lazy Belize police have lied about other details as well.

The stolen battery is curious. Perhaps that's something that can be sold on the street, but who steals an entire car just for the battery? That's ridiculous. Wasn't one of the doors on the vehicle tampered with? If that's the case, the battery could have been stolen at the restaurant.

Today police are implying that someone from the ex-pat community is responsible for the murders. They haven't directly stated it as a fact, but they are certainly implying that Belize citizens are not responsible.

Doesn't have to be the killers who stole the battery. Someone (cane workers?) could have come across the abandoned car and took what they could carry, maybe intending to return to strip more at later date.

When I read about the brownish stains, I automatically thought blood. Initially it was said that autopsy could not be completed because of decomposition, then all of a sudden we read that they were strangled. When Drew's brother was on the plane to see for himself, police needed FBI intervention to stop their plan to immediately cremate the bodies. When the brother did arrive, police said he could not see the body because it is toxic. Police seem to be doing everything they can to sweep this under the carpet, hide the facts, and avoid doing anything to resolve this double murder.

I'm pretty sure that "they had a lot of money on them" was a deliberate lie, and I think that the lazy Belize police have lied about other details as well.

The stolen battery is curious. Perhaps that's something that can be sold on the street, but who steals an entire car just for the battery? That's ridiculous. Wasn't one of the doors on the vehicle tampered with? If that's the case, the battery could have been stolen at the restaurant.

Today police are implying that someone from the ex-pat community is responsible for the murders. They haven't directly stated it as a fact, but they are certainly implying that Belize citizens are not responsible.

SABBM

Wow. Some strong implications in this post !!

Not disagreeing.

Some things need to be said.

After 5 days of decomp--- shouldn't there still be enough remains to determine a cod ? The "Body Farm" employees would know if this is possible.

Since when is a decomposing body "Toxic" ? That's the most ridiculous statement for the LE of Belize to say.

Some thoughts of mine about this tragedy :

The police in Belize DO NOT want it known that a tourist or part time resident to their fair nation can be brutally slaughtered with little to no justice coming.

Possibly the Prime minister of Belize (Dean Barrow) does not want it known that a local/national person or group is out murdering innocent victims --with little to no true justice forthcoming. so let's blame it on other tourists !
Some countries are more concerned with 'saving face' , instead of rooting out violent elements of their country.

And lastly-- and I mean this with utmost respect for Francesca and Drew -- some of the nationals of Belize will not let anything come between them and the money they make off tourism. Who would want to visit or buy land in a nation known to be violent ?
And who wants to live where the local law enforcement may be incompetent ; with little to no justice for crimes committed against foreigners ?

Back during the Natalie Holloway case, and the Robyn Gardener (missing presumed murdered) ; I recall the anguish of their families looking for answers. Only to be blocked by the local law enforcement itself.
It's telling that an outside agency from the U.S. has to step into an investigation.

I'm surprised both Francesca and Drew weren't immediately cremated so as to avoid questions. Then all LE has to do is round up some defenseless drifter or homeless person and stick the crime to them !
:moo:

Sorry if this is too morbid .....

But, was the car battery used to torture them ?
It's been done before.
And I question if they were strangled. IMO

Sorry if this is too morbid .....
But, was the car battery used to torture them ?
It's been done before.
And I question if they were strangled. IMO

I doubt it was used at the scene of the murders because it was needed in the car to move the car to Paraiso, but it is possible.

SABBM

Wow. Some strong implications in this post !!

Not disagreeing.

Some things need to be said.

After 5 days of decomp--- shouldn't there still be enough remains to determine a cod ? The "Body Farm" employees would know if this is possible.

Since when is a decomposing body "Toxic" ? That's the most ridiculous statement for the LE of Belize to say.

Some thoughts of mine about this tragedy :

The police in Belize DO NOT want it known that a tourist or part time resident to their fair nation can be brutally slaughtered with little to no justice coming.

Possibly the Prime minister of Belize (Dean Barrow) does not want it known that a local/national person or group is out murdering innocent victims --with little to no true justice forthcoming. so let's blame it on other tourists !
Some countries are more concerned with 'saving face' , instead of rooting out violent elements of their country.

And lastly-- and I mean this with utmost respect for Francesca and Drew -- some of the nationals of Belize will not let anything come between them and the money they make off tourism. Who would want to visit or buy land in a nation known to be violent ?
And who wants to live where the local law enforcement may be incompetent ; with little to no justice for crimes committed against foreigners ?

Back during the Natalie Holloway case, and the Robyn Gardener (missing presumed murdered) ; I recall the anguish of their families looking for answers. Only to be blocked by the local law enforcement itself.
It's telling that an outside agency from the U.S. has to step into an investigation.

I'm surprised both Francesca and Drew weren't immediately cremated so as to avoid questions. Then all LE has to do is round up some defenseless drifter or homeless person and stick the crime to them !
:moo:

I lost faith in the Belize police as soon as they claimed that the couple were carrying a lot of money at the restaurant. How could they possibly know how much money the couple had at the restaurant unless they were the thieves?

[bbm]

maybe witnesses at the bar saw them pulling money out of their wallets, even a bartender or waitress ... or maybe a friend knew they had cash for some reason ... IMO

I lost faith in the Belize police as soon as they claimed that the couple were carrying a lot of money at the restaurant. How could they possibly know how much money the couple had at the restaurant unless they were the thieves?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KellzBellz01
Back