Belize - Francesca Matus, 52, & Drew De Voursney, 36, murdered, Corozal, 25 Apr 2017

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Good afternoon. I live in Belize. I am an immigrant. I've been here well over a decade. This murder, like all murders in Belize, is a tragedy for the community, friends and loved ones. Even though double and multiple murders are common in the USA and there were probably several during the same week there, it seems that people enjoy the 'trouble in paradise' theme and become particularly interested in murders that happen in beautiful and exotic places.

I note that there are a lot of misconceptions and misunderstandings about Belize in discussions on this topic and I am happy to answer any questions. We all want the murderers brought to justice as much as anyone else does. There really is no conspiracy to pin this on a non Belizean. Just to put it into perspective there were two very nasty murders committed (allegedly as they haven't been prosecuted yet) upon Belizeans by Canadians in the past couple of years. One was very close to my home but the suspect fled the country before he could be prosecuted. The other is still in custody for beheading a local pastor. So, it's not all a one way street. The truth is that most victims of crime in Belize are poor Belizeans and most murder victims are young Belizean men, mainly in Belize City.

Our police force are sorely underfunded (cops earn between 100 & 200 USD a week for the most part), under trained, poorly resourced and many have to second jobs to survive. We have almost no forensic capabilities and the morgue is tiny. Normal practice is to cremate any decomposed bodies as quickly as possible, not to hide evidence, but simply because there is no place to keep them. There are no embalming services or anything of that nature.

To understand why Belize law enforcement is so poorly funded, please try to imagine running a country on taxes from a population of people smaller than most USA towns. Maybe 30-40% of Belizeans pay tax. Half of Belizeans are under 18. Unemployment is high.

Belizeans are kind, intelligent, hard working and friendly people. They are very upset about this. They do not hate foreigners - although there will always be some horrible people who will say horrible things just like everywhere else. Foreigners are not targeted for being foreign. Some are targeted for perceived wealth combined with not being careful about the sort of people they let into their lives. The freedom and anything goes type vibe that people are attracted to in Belize means that some people leave their brains on the border and start to think it's cool to hang out with those on the fringes of society who seem to want to be their friends.

If anyone has any questions for me that will help them clear up confusion, I'll do my best to answer as factually and truthfully as I can. What I will say is that it is unlikely that a conviction will ever happen and if it does, it may well be an unsafe one as we just don't have the policing skills to make it happen here yet. We're a very young country. We only got independence some 36 years ago. Try to imagine what things were like when the USA was only 36 years old. Can anyone say 'wild west'.

Welcome PaxBelize :welcome:

I understand what you're saying about the country being relatively "new" independence wise, but I highly doubt they get the majority of their funding from employment taxes. There is a lot of foreign investment in the country and I'm sure they are collecting a lot of tax and other revenue from it. If they are not, they should be. But you are right, it's going to take many more years of investing to even come close to the abilities that even another third world country like Mexico have. Which means that the country of Belize will continue to be, as one of the murder victims ironically put it, lawless, until such a time as the funding is available to massively increase police resources and the police force is able to function without corruption within it's ranks. So tourists or expats retiring there have to be on their guard with regards to the high crime rates (and the reasons why they exist) and the lack of resources to deter and or solve them.

As the beachfront areas along the coast continue to be developed and purchased by foreign investors and expats, I think you are going to see more violent crimes in these areas before things get better.

I know of the one case of the pastor that was beheaded but the person charged with that is a con man with multiple identities and it's questionable whether he is actually a Canadian citizen or whether that is a con as well. He is originally a Guyanese national from what I've read.

Who was the other Canadian who got away? Did he return to Canada? Are the RCMP actively searching for this man? That is a little unnerving that someone from Canada can be wanted in Belize for murder and nothing is being done about it.

I do have a question for you with regards to the border between Mexico and Belize. When looking at the map, it appears that one only has to drive over the bridge on the Hondo River between the two countries. Is there any border patrol there? I ask because the victim's vehicle was abandoned very close to this bridge. And as you've said, most Belizeans are kind hard working people, as are most Mexicans. But would it be possible for those who are not and are involved in the criminal element to commit crimes in each other's countries without having to adhere to strict border patrol?

TIA

The Threat

"Milholen revealed to the media that he saw Matus’ packed suitcases, passport and travelling money inside her home. All was in order at the house where she had lived for the last four years."

While there are conflicting reports as to the number of suspects arrested, Senior Superintendent of Police, Dennis Arnold, has only confirmed the detention of one man. He is a Canadian national identified as John Deshaies, who was a tenant of Matus, our sources revealed.

Information to our newspaper is that he was not pleased with her decision to sell her home. We are told that she had already identified a buyer and had successfully negotiated the terms of the sale.

Senior Supt. Arnold revealed that threats were recently made against Matus. However, he was reluctant to share details and no official police report had been made."

http://amandala.com.bz/news/canadian-american-lovers-strangled-death/
Would she have left Belize without the sale being closed? Were her possessions that she kept there year-round still in the home?

Please see my post above with my questions regarding this and how it could be related to the crime.

Welcome PaxBelize :welcome:

I understand what you're saying about the country being relatively "new" independence wise, but I highly doubt they get the majority of their funding from employment taxes. There is a lot of foreign investment in the country and I'm sure they are collecting a lot of tax and other revenue from it. If they are not, they should be. But you are right, it's going to take many more years of investing to even come close to the abilities that even another third world country like Mexico have. Which means that the country of Belize will continue to be, as one of the murder victims ironically put it, lawless, until such a time as the funding is available to massively increase police resources and the police force is able to function without corruption within it's ranks. So tourists or expats retiring there have to be on their guard with regards to the high crime rates (and the reasons why they exist) and the lack of resources to deter and or solve them.

As the beachfront areas along the coast continue to be developed and purchased by foreign investors and expats, I think you are going to see more violent crimes in these areas before things get better.

I know of the one case of the pastor that was beheaded but the person charged with that is a con man with multiple identities and it's questionable whether he is actually a Canadian citizen or whether that is a con as well. He is originally a Guyanese national from what I've read.

Who was the other Canadian who got away? Did he return to Canada? Are the RCMP actively searching for this man? That is a little unnerving that someone from Canada can be wanted in Belize for murder and nothing is being done about it.

I do have a question for you with regards to the border between Mexico and Belize. When looking at the map, it appears that one only has to drive over the bridge on the Hondo River between the two countries. Is there any border patrol there? I ask because the victim's vehicle was abandoned very close to this bridge. And as you've said, most Belizeans are kind hard working people, as are most Mexicans. But would it be possible for those who are not and are involved in the criminal element to commit crimes in each other's countries without having to adhere to strict border patrol?

TIA

I think the vehicle being left close to the border as a ruse, just like the Missionary who was murdered in Belize and his chopped up body left in Guatemala. By moving the body, the murderer tried to mislead police. That might be the case here as well.

If Francesca sold her home, she would have a paper trail from Belize to Toronto. Her computer wasn't stolen. Documents related to a house sale would be there.
Absolutely. The source of the MSM comment was UID. Hope the truth about it will be uncovered.

The media report is from amandala.com.bz.
Is .bz Brazil? I've never seen .com.bz before.

Perhaps the buyer is in Brazil.

bz is the Belize internet country code (not Brazil - that is br)

Welcome to Ws BOOMer!
A shame that such incredible beauty is spoiled by such ugliness, imo.
https://www.lonelyplanet.com/belize
attachment.php

https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/country/belize.html

Thanks BTW, looks like a great forum.

Yeah I know, crime is crazy.. I was hoping to retire there but struck it off my list after this last tragic murder.

I purchased buysell.bz and forsalebyowner.bz and was going to start an IT company down their, employ locals. Now I'm selling them off and looking at Costa Rica.

If they had a Gov't that would just be more proactive, Belize could be safe and secure for all.

Thanks BTW, looks like a great forum.

Yeah I know, crime is crazy.. I was hoping to retire there but struck it off my list after this last tragic murder.

I purchased buysell.bz and forsalebyowner.bz and was going to start an IT company down their, employ locals. Now I'm selling them off and looking at Costa Rica.

If they had a Gov't that would just be more proactive, Belize could be safe and secure for all.

Costa Rica is a safe place for Canadian expats ... with excellent snakes, beetles, and zip lines.

Would she have left Belize without the sale being closed? Were her possessions that she kept there year-round still in the home?

Please see my post above with my questions regarding this and how it could be related to the crime.
I have also been wondering about the arrangements for her car.
She was leaving for Canada in the morning, and I assume her plans were to go back to Belize sometime in December, like the past year (Unless the report of her selling her house turns out to be true).

Did she usually just left her car parked at her house and had her handyman, JD, or a friend come by weekly and give it some maintenance, so the battery won't be useless when she returned, and also the wheel bearings?
Did she fill up the gas tank?

Or did she store it in someone's garage, not exposed to the elements. Being so close to the coast: high winds, heavy rains, humidity, tornado/hurricanes, etc.

Could she have been driving somewhere that night to drop off her vehicle, hence she needed her friend Joe Milholen to drive her to the airport in the morning?
Or was he supposed to drive her to the airport in her car?

I guess the handyman will maintain the "manicured landscaped yard" as she described it.

http://www.findrealestatebroker.com/BZ/Corozal/6538

She was leaving for Canada in the morning, and I assume her plans were to go back to Belize sometime in December, like the past year (Unless the report of her selling her house turns out to be true).

Did she usually just left her car parked at her house and had her handyman, JD, or a friend come by weekly and give it some maintenance, so the battery won't be useless when she returned, and also the wheel bearings?

Or did she store it in someone's garage, not exposed to the elements. Being so close to the coast: high winds, heavy rains, humidity, tornado/hurricanes, etc.

Could she have been driving somewhere that night to drop off her vehicle, hence she needed her friend Joe Milholen to drive her to the airport in the morning?

I guess the handyman will maintain the "manicured landscaped yard" as she described it.

Really good questions.

If it's true she was selling her home, she wouldn't need a handyman and JD might not have planned to stay, either. So, good question about her vehicle. If someone else would be moving into her home, she likely could not keep her vehicle parked there.

We know that DD's motorcycle was parked at FM's house. Was the plan to drive to JM's house after leaving Scottie's, and then JM would drive both FM and DD to FM's house where DD would get his motorcycle and ride it home? That way, FM's vehicle would remain parked at JM's.

Does anyone know where JM lived? How far it was from where FM lived? How far it is from where the bodies and vehicle were found? Travelling to JM's may have put them on a different road than if they were headed back to FM's house.

It doesn't make sense that she sold her house and she didn't sell her car. If she was liquidating, there's a lot more to it than someone claiming after her death that the deed for the house has been transferred. Her sons need to get their asses down there right now and assert their rights to their mother's property.

I think she and Drew were going to her home that night, and did she not have a garage on the 2.5 acre property?

Perhaps, whatever Francesca did with her house and car before she left the country, she wanted to do it herself, rather than leave it up to Drew. Even though they'd been dating, I imagine she was careful with her property. He only had a motorcycle, I suspect he was going to drive it to the airport while she went in her neighbour's car, and then Drew'd go back to his own place.

I wonder if the perp(s) believed that Drew would drive her to the airport, and were perhaps planning to remove her luggage, cash, etc, later in the day.

It doesn't make sense that she sold her house and she didn't sell her car. If she was liquidating, there's a lot more to it than someone claiming after her death that the deed for the house has been transferred. Her sons need to get their asses down there right now and assert their rights to their mother's property.

There was a horrible case in Panama of an American who murdered several expats, claiming later that they'd sold him their house and left the country. http://abcnews.go.com/Nightline/panama-property-killings/story?id=11374933
Hopefully no copycats of that case.

Perhaps, whatever Francesca did with her house and car before she left the country, she wanted to do it herself, rather than leave it up to Drew. Even though they'd been dating, I imagine she was careful with her property. He only had a motorcycle, I suspect he was going to drive it to the airport while she went in her neighbour's car, and then Drew'd go back to his own place.

I wonder if the perp(s) believed that Drew would drive her to the airport, and were perhaps planning to remove her luggage, cash, etc, later in the day.

Yes, it's possible that the abduction and murders, disposal of bodies, removal of car battery, and suspect's return to personal transportation took longer than expected so it's possible that it was daylight when the suspect wanted to remove evidence from Francesca's home. At 8:30AM, someone knew that something was wrong, and it is possible that this completely messed up the suspect's big picture perfect murder plan ... but Drew wasn't supposed to leave until May 4 ... was the idea that she and her luggage/passport would disappear, and so would Drew ... so he was the suspect? We know that Belize police would fall for that (easy ex-pat blaming, et al) ... perhaps the perfect murder/suspect theory that is easy enough for Belize police to follow while stamping "case closed" on the folder.

There was a horrible case in Panama of an American who murdered several expats, claiming later that they'd sold him their house and left the country. http://abcnews.go.com/Nightline/panama-property-killings/story?id=11374933
Hopefully no copycats of that case.

It's one thing to murder your neighbours and claim that they sold their home ... could that have happened here? If so, the buyer is the murderer.

If there is paperwork, as with the Panama case, where Francesca transferred ownership of her home to someone else but there is no paper trail to Toronto and no other preparations (such as personal belongings, furniture, vehicle), then the buyer is guilty.

Who is the alleged buyer of Francesca's property? Who claims to now hold title to her sons' inheritance.
/
Her son's need to go there now. What is their story and why are they not looking after this? In the obituary there is only her sons and her mom. Is any one advising them on how to manage the estate?

She has set them up for life with a monthly income on rental properties, and a playground in Belize ... they just need to manage it right from the beginning ... and that very likely means staking their claim on their mother's property before someone else in Belize claims ownership, or sells the property without authorization ... in that lawless country.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KY Cliffhanger
Back