Berkeley protest of Milo Yiannopoulos turns violent, event cancelled - live video

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Very disappointing. Pot, meet kettle. :notgood:

[video=youtube;TcmE-9hqxCc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcmE-9hqxCc[/video]

Well ok then sound perfectly rational give me a break!

While Yiannopoulos is gay, he has stated that gay rights are detrimental to humanity, and that gay men should "get back in the closet".[SUP][98][/SUP] He has described being gay as "aberrant" and "a lifestyle choice guaranteed to bring [gay people] pain and unhappiness".[SUP][99][/SUP] He has said that he would love to experiment with conversion therapy, but not because he thinks it'll work.

wiki

Yiannopoulos, who is tech editor at Brietbart, is a provocateur whose language dovetails with the “alt-right,” although he disputes that classification. He has said “America has a Muslim problem,” called Black Lives Matter activists “extremists,” and suggested that women should stop going online so “I, Donald Trump and the rest of the alpha males will continue to dominate the Internet without feminist whining

is tech editor at Brietbart

found his greatest mainstream fame when he was banned from Twitter following the harassment of “Ghostbusters” star Leslie Jones, who was deluged with sexist and racist tweets sparked in part by Yiannopoulos.

http://www.latimes.com/books/jacketcopy/la-ca-jc-yiannopoulos-book-deal-20170104-story.html

Personally I am sick of the hate garbage. Everyday people of color live with the fear of being killed. Everyday people who are different such as gay live in fear.

What is the matter with this country? Why are people so hateful?

What are people going to think of us in the future? Like in the 1930's people risked all to help those that were being persecuted. I am so sick of the ugly talk against others. Just grrrr!

Ironic....those that shout about the footprint we're leaving on the world are sending up billows of black polluting smoke! Who knows what is actually burning, but black smoke is not good!

Free speech.... not at that campus!

How does burning stuff, and breaking glass windows, etc., help any situation? So you disagree with someone, a speaker, combat that by having a speaker with YOUR VIEWS come have a venue. It doesn't make sense to me.

Think I'll hibernate or hope whatever planet I'm from, my people come back for me.

Ironic....those that shout about the footprint we're leaving on the world are sending up billows of black polluting smoke! Who knows what is actually burning, but black smoke is not good!

Free speech.... not at that campus!

How does burning stuff, and breaking glass windows, etc., help any situation? So you disagree with someone, a speaker, combat that by having a speaker with YOUR VIEWS come have a venue. It doesn't make sense to me.

Think I'll hibernate or hope whatever planet I'm from, my people come back for me.

The good news is, there are places that are trying to have a return to common sense.

The are 2 bills in our state legislature now that basically state:

1.) You have the right to protest but you do not have the right to block roads, highways, interstates, etc. Therefore, if you get hit by a vehicle when blocking a road ---too bad, the driver will not be held responsible.

Why is this common sense? Roads are for vehicles to get from point A to point B. They are not for people to stand or lie down on.

2.) Individuals attending protests cannot use anything to cover their face to hide their identity or to keep warm or for any other reason.

Why is this commons sense? Bad apples who commit crimes should not be able to remain anonymous. If you want to do the crime, we want to know who you are so you can do the time/ foot the bill for damages.

My guess is neither one will pass because common sense isn't all that common now days.

Personally I am sick of the hate garbage. Everyday people of color live with the fear of being killed. Everyday people who are different such as gay live in fear.

What is the matter with this country? Why are people so hateful?

What are people going to think of us in the future? Like in the 1930's people risked all to help those that were being persecuted. I am so sick of the ugly talk against others. Just grrrr!

I think SM has a lot to do with the general increase in anger and frustration over the last decade.

keyboards to hide behind to spew nasty stuff.

There were some basic interactional social norms that were expected and usually done. Just don't walk up strangers and fu** your moth&& you fa**ot as***** bi&&& - just generally not accepted behavior !!!

My first shock with it was about 10 years ago when I found out that You Tube can be amazing, but the first couple of times I read some of the comments.

That stopped pretty instantly. It was like good lord this is just nasty stuff.

"Relationships" can be turned on and off on FB.

Twitter gives people a nice easy short way non time consuming way to toss out some hate.

Then cell phone video of LE abusing power turned up the hate knob

Fear creates anger. Now people are getting murdered in libraries and churches - once safe places. More fear.

SO the oven is preheated.

<modsnip>

Seems like baiting to me. Reminds me of the "art show" in that Texas town a year or so ago that felt like baiting a Muslim response.

Violence must be resisted! Violence will give an excuse for draconian response like martial law. I can't even believe I'm typing that seriously.

Peace - strength is in peace.

jmopinion.

PEACE must prevail.

This speech feels like a calculated move. Just as the Muslim ban felt like a calculate shock event, I think this speech was intended to purposely incite the very liberal college students into violence.

That doesn't excuse them obviously, but nothing Steve Bannon is behind is an accident. He is incredibly intelligent, calculated, and manipulative. It's fascinating to watch it all unfold, especially because I've been saying for over a year that this ain't gon' be gud.

There will be more violence, and the next step is to come out publicly and say the only way to stop it is, guess what, revoking civil liberties. The administration will "keep us safe". Beyond that, saying more is considered too political (I feel it's not political, it's historical).

ETA: All JMOO of course.

Why would you punish UC Berkeley for the actions of some protesters? UC Berkeley scheduled the appearance in the name of free speech facing what they knew would be an enormous backlash.

Flawed logic. So obvious! Bad!

My business is within that area. I will be leaving soon to see if there is damage.
BPD has a twitter feed and they posted/continually updated where the protesters were and what streets they were moving to.

My business is within that area. I will be leaving soon to see if there is damage.
BPD has a twitter feed and they posted/continually updated where the protesters were and what streets they were moving to.

Good - local eyes are always useful. Keep us posted.

Thought I would hurry & read this thread before it goes away. jmo

Why would you punish UC Berkeley for the actions of some protesters? UC Berkeley scheduled the appearance in the name of free speech facing what they knew would be an enormous backlash.

I hope this doesn't venture too far in the realm of political, but the motivation to punish Berkeley (or any university that has a large liberal influence) is to silence protests. If you can get the universities to be the ones to tell students they aren't allowed to protest, then the universities are the bad guys. It also ensures you have the generally liberal staff and faculty on your "side" so to speak.

It's silencing the education sector. They've already attempted to silence the science and government sectors. It's all part of a bigger movement.

I'm really not talking out of my 4th point of contact. This is all based in history.

" <modsnip>

Mr. Yiannopoulos is not the first of his ilk to speak at Berkeley and he will not be the last. In our view, Mr. Yiannopoulos is a troll and provocateur who uses odious behavior in part to &#8220;entertain,&#8221; but also to deflect any serious engagement with ideas.

Mr. Yiannopoulos&#8217;s opinions and behavior can elicit strong reactions and his attacks can be extremely hurtful and disturbing. <modsnip>

First, from a legal perspective, the U.S. Constitution prohibits UC Berkeley, as a public institution, from banning expression based on its content or viewpoints, even when those viewpoints are hateful or discriminatory. "

<modsnip>

bbm This is what the chancellor sent out ahead of milo being there. I can see where his words were taken by students as a negative.

http://news.berkeley.edu/2017/01/26/chancellor-statement-on-yiannopoulos/

I wonder if they had coloring rooms and puppy petting set up for the protesters after. jmo idk

Berkeley: '150 masked agitators' ahead of Milo Yiannopoulos talk

http://www.kmov.com/story/34405977/berkeley-150-masked-agitators-ahead-of-milo-yiannopoulos-talk

One student told CNN that he didn't agree with what happened.

"It's a sad irony in the fact that the Free Speech Movement was founded here and tonight, someone's free speech got shut down. It might have been hateful speech, but it's still his right to speak," said Shivam Patel, a freshmen who stood outside of Sproul Plaza.

The Free Speech Movement started at UC Berkeley in 1964 after students protested en masse when administrators tried to restrict their political activities on campus.

Patel said he supported peaceful protests, but disagreed with the way things turned out on Wednesday.

"It allows people on the right to say, 'Look at all these liberal Berkeley snowflakes. They're intolerant of speech.' I don't think it's productive at all. It does nothing to help this country."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Momo1