BOSMA MURDER TRIAL: Trial Media/Doc Thread - ** No Discussion **

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Bosma Day 27

Today Javier Villada was back on the stand

He testified earlier that he had met the other accused, Mark Smich many times, had even hired him on job sites. But today in court he could not see Mark Smich, even when told he was sitting at the table beside Millard.

Villada agreed Mark Smich has changed a lot since his arrest in 2013. Then, witnesses have said he always wore the same baggy clothing. In court, Smich seems fit and is impeccably groomed, with what looks like gel in his hair. He usually wears a button-down shirt under a knitted sweater.

http://www.chch.com/bosma-trial/

Tim Bosma trial: Dellen Millard calls incinerator where human bones found 'BBQ'

wlrtig.png

This livestock incinerator was found on a farm in Ayr, Ont., owned by Dellen Millard, one of two men accused of murdering Hamilton's Tim Bosma. (Court exhibit)

Dellen Millard and his employee Shane Schlatman had a nickname for the livestock incinerator in which human bones were found on his farm in Ayr, Ont. — The BBQ.

The jury at the trial of Millard, 30, of Toronto, and Mark Smich, 28, of Oakville, who have both pleaded not guilty to first-degree murder in the death of Tim Bosma, saw text messages between the MillardAir owner and his employee describing the incinerator as "The BBQ" Thursday.

'You're not lying, are you?'

In cross-examination, Millard's lawyer Ravin Pillay repeatedly asked Schlatman if he was telling the truth.

"You're not lying are you? You're not tailoring your evidence to suit Mr. Millard?" Sachak asked, to which Schlatman said no.

Hangar cameras

Schlatman, the jury heard, had an app on his phone that could be used to move and view the cameras at the hangar in real time.

"You had the ability to do that on May 6, and May 7," Sachak said. "Did [Millard] tell you, 'Listen I want you to delete that app on May 6?'" to which Schlatman responded, "No."

"During those 72 hours, you could have looked inside the hangar by just looking at your phone," Sachak said. Schlatman said he didn't look.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamil...nerator-where-human-bones-found-bbq-1.3514560

Tim Bosma case: Police investigating other stolen vehicles at MillardAir hangar, court hears

xkvcef.png

This screen grab is from a video of The Eliminator incinerator, taken from a hard drive on a computer seized from Dellen Millard's home. It appears to have been shot inside the MillardAir hangar.

Tim Bosma's truck wasn't the only vehicle tied to a police investigation in the MillardAir hangar, court heard Monday at the trial of two men accused of killing the Hamilton man.

In cross-examination, Millard's employee Shane Schlatman testified that police also questioned him about a Harley Davidson motorcycle and a Bobcat tractor — and that the investigators believed they were stolen. That line of questioning opened up some of the most incendiary exchanges the jury has yet seen at the two-month long trial.

Schlatman 'didn't think it was important' to call police, court hears

Dungey pressed Schlatman about why he didn't call police about the truck, once he learned about its origins. Schlatman said he "didn't think it was important" as his father-in-law had already alerted the authorities.

"Maybe I didn't do everything the way I should have," Schlatman said.

'So you lied to police?'

"Mr. Schlatman, you didn't do anything," Dungey shot back. His voice rising, Dungey yelled at Schlatman that he was only in court to "protect" his employer.

"Your loyalty is [to Millard], so the hell with Bosma, right?" Dungey yelled. Schlatman immediately disagreed. "No sir, it was not like that," he said, as he turned redder in the witness box.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton/news/bosma-stolen-vehicles-1.3519727

Bosma trial: Mechanic accused of lying for boss Dellen Millard

Dellen Millard's mechanic was willing to turn a blind eye — and lie — for his boss, Mark Smich's lawyer says.

Shane Schlatman didn't ask questions when random vehicles showed up at the Millardair hangar — even after he learned one of them belonged to missing man Tim Bosma.

"You didn't see anything, you didn't hear anything, and you don't want to tell anything," Thomas Dungey suggested Monday during cross-examination of the former Millardair mechanic.

Schlatman has testified previously that he and Millard were not that close and that he'd have no reason to lie on the stand. But Dungey grilled him Monday about their close friendship and his cushy gig at Millardair.

Schlatman agreed that throughout the time he knew Millard, "don't question anything" was his attitude.

Schlatman initially denied having talked to Millard the night of May 9, after his father-in-law told him he had gone to Crime Stoppers, and before the truck disappeared. Eventually Schlatman said he "might have" talked to him.

"Your loyalty is so great, to hell with Bosma," Dungey suggested.

http://www.thespec.com/news-story/6...nic-accused-of-lying-for-boss-dellen-millard/

Tim Bosma trial: Accused Mark Smich kept gun in toolbox, friend testifies
By Adam Carter, CBC News Posted: Apr 05, 2016

mark-smich-and-brendan-daly.jpg

Brendan Daly, right, is seen in this police surveillance photo along with Mark Smich, who is accused of first-degree murder in the slaying of Tim Bosma. (Court exhibit)

Mark Smich was keeping a gun in a toolbox at his mother's home and got a friend to move it after Dellen Millard's arrest, court heard Tuesday at the Tim Bosma murder trial.

Brendan Daly testified to a packed courtroom that his friend Smich became anxious and jumpy in May 2013 around the time Millard was arrested in connection with the death of Bosma, who vanished on May 6, 2013, after taking two men on a test drive in a truck he was trying to sell.

[...]

Daly, 23, told the jury that in May 2013, he and Smich were best friends who would get together daily, hang out and smoke pot that Smich was selling him.

After Millard was arrested on May 10, Smich's demeanour changed, Daly testified. He became "nervous and jumpy," he said. "Just on edge, anxious, looking over his shoulder."

'He was just trying to lay low there'

Not long after, Smich's Facebook page was deactivated, and the two phones he had been using were turned off, Daly said. He said Smich was only contacting him through his girlfriend's phone. He also said Smich moved out of his mother's home and into his girlfriend's sister's home. He would also sometimes use Daly's phone, but always in private before giving it back with any trace of him having used it erased, court heard.

[...]

Smich described as 'defensive'

"I just asked what was going on, and he got mad and just said he wasn't there and he wasn't involved," Daly said. "I guess defensive would be a better word."

He told the court that during that conversation, Smich made him feel nervous and intimidated.

Daly said that in another conversation, Smich told him "These n-----s are coming to get me, I f--ked up man, I f--ked up man."

Tim Bosma trial: Mark Smich feared being framed by Dellen Millard, defence suggests
By Adam Carter, CBC News Posted: Apr 06, 2016

mark-smich.png

Mark Smich, one of the men accused of killing Tim Bosma, is seen here in a police surveillance photo from before he was arrested. (Court exhibit)

Accused murderers Dellen Millard and Mark Smich had been involved in criminal activity together before, court heard Wednesday — but in the face of the Tim Bosma murder investigation, Smich was terrified that Millard would frame him, his legal team suggested.

[...]

The day began with testimony from Smich's onetime best friend Brendan Daly, who said that Smich got rid of a gun he had been hiding at his mother's home just after Bosma vanished. Daly also described his friend's anger issues and his violent rap lyrics — but it was in cross-examination from Smich's lawyer Thomas Dungey that Smich's worries about being framed arose.

[...]

'When I'm angry you're in danger'

"He told you he was afraid that his mother's house might be raided by the police," Pillay said, and Daly agreed.

Pillay also talked about the rap recordings Smich had on his iPad, and read out some of his lyrics in court: "My .380 is no stranger, when I'm angry you're in danger."

[...]

Millard planned tractor theft, court hears

Millard's longtime friend Matt Hagerman also testified Wednesday, and told the jury about how Millard enlisted several friends to act as lookouts and help him steal a Bobcat tractor in the fall of 2012. The jury heard earlier this week that police were investigating the tractor found in the hangar as stolen.

[...]

'He said he was feeling some heat'

Assistant Crown attorney Craig Fraser also asked Hagerman about the events of May 9, 2013. Hagerman testified that he started getting frantic calls from Millard's girlfriend Christina Noudga's phone that night.

Tim Bosma trial: 'snivelling' friend of Dellen Millard falls apart on stand
By Adam Carter, CBC News Posted: Apr 07, 2016

dellen-millard.jpg

Hagerman returned to the witness box today to resume his testimony at the trial of Millard, 30, of Toronto, and Mark Smich, 28, of Oakville, Ont., who are accused of murdering Bosma. At times during his testimony, Hagerman cried and his voice shook — especially when describing how he repeatedly lied to police.

Though Hagerman appeared distressed, there was no comfort coming from the lawyer representing Smich.

"What are you snivelling about?" lawyer Thomas Dungey boomed as Hagerman sobbed. "You're snivelling for yourself, you're not snivelling for the Bosma family. You're not snivelling for Mr. Bosma who is dead, are you?"

[...]

Panic sets in

Panic set in, Hagerman testified, saying he just wanted to get rid of the toolbox he had stashed in his parents' home. He told the jury that he had seen the toolbox before at Millard's home, and it usually contained drugs. That's what he thought was in it, Hagerman said, though Dungey didn't buy that argument.

[...]

Once they flipped on the radio in the car, things changed.

"I turned on the news and it came up that there was a man still missing and that Dellen was a prime suspect," Hagerman said. "I panicked and we quickly pulled off the road and dumped what we had in a stairwell somewhere.

Did mysterious toolbox hold the gun that killed Tim Bosma?
Adrian Humphreys | April 7, 2016

toolbox-1.jpg

The yellow toolbox in happier times — seen inside Dellen Millard's Toronto home at a party in 2011. Court heard it was a party box stuffed with drugs for guests. Court exhibit

Where’s the gun that killed Tim Bosma?

The jury at the murder trial for Dellen Millard, a 30-year-old dynastic owner of a fading aviation company, and Mark Smich, a 28-year-old aspiring rap artist, has seen and heard mounds of evidence over 32 days on the disappearance and incineration of Bosma, the 32-year-old father last seen leaving with two strangers on a test drive of the pick-up truck he was selling online.

[...]

Perhaps most poignantly, the jury has been shown the inside of the incinerator where it is believed Bosma’s body was burned.

But no murder weapon.

This week, the jury heard of a frantic hot-potato act with a mysterious toolbox by friends of both Millard and Smich after Bosma disappeared.

[...]

The toolbox was first passed from Millard to his friend, Matt Hagerman, in the dead of night.

“He asked me to do him a favour. He said he was feeling some heat and wanted me to hold onto something,” Hagerman said.

“Can you tell me what these toys are so I can prepare myself?” Hagerman asked Millard in a May 10 text message at 1:49 a.m.

“A tool box,” Millard replied.

Tim Bosma trial: Dellen Millard asked friend if he should steal truck from 'nice guy'
By Adam Carter, CBC News Posted: Apr 12, 2016

WARNING: This story contains language that may offend some readers

andrew-michalski.jpg

Just days before Tim Bosma disappeared, Dellen Millard asked one of his friends if he should steal a truck from "the ******* or the nice guy," court heard Tuesday at the trial of two men accused of killing the Hamilton man.

"I told him to f--k off," said Millard's friend and former roommate Andrew Michalski, who began testifying Tuesday afternoon. "I didn't think he needed to steal a truck."

[...]

Pair test drove truck similar to Bosma's

Michalski testified that he saw Millard and Smich at Millard's Maplegate residence in Toronto after that test drive, too. Smich said he felt sick, Michalski said. "That was their excuse for not stealing the truck," he testified.

[...]

Smich 'was quite panicked'

"He said that they got Dell, and that I should get all of the drugs out of his house," he said. "He was quite panicked."

CLAIRMONT: Did being a nice guy seal Tim Bosma’s fate?
Hamilton Spectator
By Susan Clairmont

B822450056Z.1_20160412215156_000_GJR1LJ7H4.2_Gallery.jpg

Sharlene fell in love with Tim, married him, started a family with him and dreamt about forever with him because he was a nice guy.

Friends would drop by to have a beer with Tim, smoke a cigar with him and laugh with him because he was a nice guy.

And when Tim vanished, countless strangers searched for him and hoped and prayed for him because they somehow intrinsically knew that this missing man was a nice guy.

A nice guy with a diesel Dodge Ram pickup for sale.

Clairmont: The perks of being Dellen Millard’s pal

f516rm.jpg

MICHALSKI
Marcela Prikryl,Special to The Hamilton Spectator
Andrew Michalski testified at the Tim Bosma first-degree murder trial Wednesday.

Dellen Millard's loyal entourage did his bidding and surrounded him with admiration in exchange for a lavish lifestyle they couldn't afford themselves.

Drug-fuelled pool parties. Free restaurant meals. All-expenses-paid trips to Mexico and Miami. A two-week cruise in the British Virgin Islands on a chartered boat. Access to vintage cars. Helicopter rides. Free rent.

These were the "perks" of being Dell's friend, according to Andrew Michalski, 26, who spent his second day on the witness stand Wednesday at Millard's first-degree murder trial.

http://www.thespec.com/news-story/6495522-clairmont-the-perks-of-being-dellen-millard-s-pal/

Tim Bosma trial: Dellen Millard's friend was arrested but released

35jcw9j.jpg

Dellen Millard's friend and former roommate Andrew Michalski testified for a second day in a packed Hamilton court on Wednesday. (Facebook)

Dellen Millard's friend Andrew Michalski was also arrested in connection with the death of Hamilton man Tim Bosma, court heard Wednesday, but he was questioned and subsequently released without charge.

The arrest occurred on May 13, 2013 — just days after Millard was arrested. In his first meeting with police, Michalski didn't tell investigators about a key piece of evidence in the Bosma case and deleted text messages with Millard's co-accused Mark Smich, Ontario Superior Court heard Wednesday.

Millard had money, jury hears

Millard's financial status has come up in questioning over and over during the course of the trial, and Sachak raised the subject again with Michalski.

"Irrespective of whatever debts Dellen might have had … or loans he hadn't paid, in your mind, you're like 'Buddy, you're loaded, you could pick up a $20,000 truck?'" Sachak asked, and again Michalski said yes.

Theft plan no secret

Millard also made no secret of his plans to steal the truck, Sachak said. "He tells you that. No secret," Sachak said. "None," Michalski answered.

Millard was 'the driving force'

Smich's lawyer Thomas Dungey started his cross-examination Wednesday, and also focused on Millard's wealth, in an attempt to show Millard used money as a power play among his younger friends. Michalski testified that Millard paid for expenses on vacations, let him use his cars and often hosted parties.

Dungey also asked about when Michalski and his group of friends first started stealing, and Michalski said it was on "Devil's night," on Oct. 30 in 2011. The group — which included Hagerman and Millard — broke into a nursery and stole plants for Millard's garden.

"He was the driving force," Michalski said. "I think we were all drunk and on drugs and wanted to do something fun."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton/news/tim-bosma-michalski-day-2-1.3533654

Tim Bosma trial
'Should I steal from the a------ or the nice guy?'; Millard's roommate testifies at Tim Bosma murder trial

ws93so.jpg

Andrew Michalski, a witness at the Tim Bosma murder trial, after getting his Baja Desert Racing tattoo in 2011 along with Dellen Millard and Shane Schlatman. (Facebook)

HAMILTON, Ont. — Two days before Tim Bosma vanished while on a test drive of a truck he was selling online, one of his accused killers, Dellen Millard, was looking at a Kijiji ad offering a black Dodge Ram 3500 pickup for sale, court heard.

Millard showed the ad on his computer screen at his Toronto home to his roommate and friend, Andrew Michalski, and then asked Michalski a question.

“He asked me if he should steal it from the a------ or the nice guy?” Michalski, 26, testified Tuesday.

The testimony brought gasps from the packed courtroom.

[...]

Millard’s search for a diesel pickup truck did not surprise Michalski — he knew about Millard’s need for such a vehicle and knew time was running out to get one.

Michalski was a co-driver with Millard in their ill-fated off-road desert race in 2011 in Baja, Mexico. The gruelling 800-kilometre race ended just 24 kilometres into it when Millard wrecked his souped-up Jeep.

[...]

The morning after Bosma’s disappearance, Michalski said he received an early morning phone call from Marlena Meneses, Smich’s girlfriend.

“Marlena was worried about mark,” Michalski said in a May 7 text message to Millard, shown in court. “Just wanted to figure out where he was.”

“He’s with her,” Millard replied.

“She called me at 6 in the morning asking where he was if I knew we’re [sic] you were,” Michalski texted back.

“Marlena’s a child & worries too easily,” Millard replied.

[...]

Another series of text messages between Millard and Michalski were shown the jury, dated April 5, 2013.

“2013 is gonna be all business. 2014/15 will be for inventions!” Millard texted his friend.

“Need to make some money first,” Michalski replied.

“About 100,000 a month, and I’ll be out of the hole,” said Millard.

http://www.lfpress.com/2016/04/13/s...-roommate-testifies-at-tim-bosma-murder-trial

Tim Bosma trial: Dellen Millard stole 'for the thrill of it,' friend says
By Adam Carter, CBC News Posted: Apr 14, 2016

dellen-millard.jpg

Andrew Michalski tells jury he was confident aviation heir would 'protect him'

Aviation heir Dellen Millard stole a Bobcat tractor and a Harley-Davidson motorcycle "for the thrill of it," his friend Andrew Michalski testified Thursday at the trial of the two men accused of killing Hamilton man Tim Bosma.

Testifying in Superior Court in Hamilton for a third day, Michalski, 26, who is from Etobicoke, Ont., told the jury that he probably wouldn't have started stealing things if not for the influence of Millard.

"I guess I felt safe around him … I can't explain it," the Etobicoke, Ont., man said. "He had money, he could protect me. I was confident he would do that for me."

[...]

'You weren't afraid of him'

Dungey's cross-examination centred on his allegation that due to his wealth and power, Millard held an intense sway and influence over the group of young people around him, and that they "thieved" based on his planning.

"So he could do anything, he was invincible? He could protect those around him who would do this thieving?" Dungey asked Michalski. "That's correct," the witness replied.

Tim Bosma trial: Dellen Millard planned to 'nab a Dodge 3500' in 2012, texts suggest
By Adam Carter, CBC News Posted: Apr 18, 2016

Texts on Dellen Millard's cellphone show he planned to steal a Dodge 3500 truck like Tim Bosma's as far back as February 2012, messages shown at the trial of two men accused of the Hamilton man's slaying revealed Monday.

Hamilton police Det. Const. Craig Harrison began his testimony by showing texts between Millard and a contact named "Say 10" — which the Crown alleges was a nickname for Mark Smich, his co-accused.

[...]

'We need a proper plan'

For hours on Monday, the jury was shown hundreds of messages between Millard, Smich and other friends that highlight the group's plans to steal different items, and Millard's quest to track down a Dodge 3500. Bosma's truck, the jury has heard, was a Dodge 3500 pickup truck with a diesel engine — something several witnesses have said was a feature Millard was looking for.

Another text sent from the Millard phone to Say 10 in 2012 read: "I think we can grab that truck I need before I go to the states next.

Texts show Millard, Smich were looking for specific model truck Tim Bosma was selling: Crown
Adrian Humphreys | April 18, 2016

millard-smich-11.jpg

HAMILTON, Ont. — “I think we can grab that truck I need before I go to the states next, they are common enough,” says a text message retrieved by police from accused killer Dellen Millard’s phone.

“It doesn’t have to be that one, it just has to be a dodge3500, red’s just a bonus,” continued the text message sent on March 24, 2012.

“Yea. We need a proper plan tho. So lets work on that,” was the reply from the phone of his co-accused, Mark Smich. “We cant make any mistakes.”

[...]

“Let’s get to work, got some empires to build,” says a text message from Millard’s phone to Smich’s phone, almost exactly one year before Bosma was killed.

The first step, the message continued, was to do two things: “getting you a base & me a dodge 3500.”

[...]

On May 30, 2012, a series of texts were sent from Smich’s phone to Millard’s lamenting his problems in life.

“Yo. What should I do bro? I gots no money… I need a job or someshit,” it says. “I need a mission or whatever. I gotta get out of this place bro.”

“I know bud,” came the reply from Millard’s phone. “Next stage of life you’re gonna chill with me at riverside. atleast until we make an album. after that who knows.”

(The jury has heard Smich was an aspiring rap artist.)

Tim Bosma trial: Dellen Millard texted about 'all-nighter' mission on evening Bosma vanished
By Adam Carter, CBC News Posted: Apr 19, 2016

hi-dellen-millard-fb-852-8col.jpg

Accused murderer Dellen Millard was texting his girlfriend about an "all-nighter" mission on the night that Tim Bosma disappeared, court heard Tuesday at the trial of two men accused of killing the Hamilton man.

For the first time, the jury saw Millard's text records from around the time the Crown alleges Bosma was killed — and they painted a chilling picture that clearly weighed heavily on the Bosma family members in court.

One message sent from Millard's phone at 7:40 p.m. on May 6, 2013, read: "I'm on my way to a mission now. If it's a flop I'll be done in 2 hrs. If it goes … it'll be an all nighter."

[...]

'Stage 1 complete'

The jury also saw a message from Noudga at 8:26 a.m. on May 7 that read: "Still working?" The message back from Millard's phone read: "Stage 1 complete, taking a respite. Not sure yet." A later message from Millard's phone read: "I'm gonna take a nap."

She responded: "Good choice :)"

[...]

Mother questions about trailer

The jury was also shown text messages from May 10 from a contact nicknamed "Rabbit" in Millard's phone, who appeared to be his mother.

"Why is your trailer here???" she wrote. "Is it usually in the hangar??? Whats up? Why the hurry last night?"

[...]

Sister of Smich's girlfriend testifies

Meneses testified that she had concerns about her sister dating Smich, who was several years older. "Your sister was infatuated with Mr. Smich," Sachak said. "She was very much into him," Meneses responded.

Dellen Millard shot Bosma, Mark Smich's ex-girlfriend testifies
By Adam Carter, CBC News Posted: Apr 21, 2016

B822469443Z.1_20160421201654_000_G6U1LO25O.5_Gallery.jpg

Accused killer ​Mark Smich told his former girlfriend that Dellen Millard shot Tim Bosma before the two of them burned his body in a livestock incinerator, Marlena Meneses testified Thursday.

The 22-year-old Meneses delivered some of the most dramatic testimony heard so far at the jury trial in Superior Court in Hamilton.

Meneses told a packed courtroom that Smich told her Bosma was killed the night of May 6, 2013, when he took Millard and Smich on a test drive of a truck he was trying to sell.

"He said that Dell murdered him. That he shot him," Meneses testified, as members of the Bosma family became visibly emotional inside the courtroom. Bosma's wife Sharlene sat stone faced, while others cried.

"He told me he did nothing, that Dell did it all," she said. "He told me that Mr. Bosma was gone, gone."

[...]

She said Smich also told her he was given a gun after Millard was arrested, but that he disposed of it. "He told me that he wrapped it in duct tape and buried it somewhere ... he said somewhere in a forest. He wouldn't tell me which one."

Girlfriend says Smich told her ‘Dell did it all’
Hamilton Spectator
By Molly Hayes

A panicked Mark Smich told his girlfriend that Dellen Millard murdered Tim Bosma, the woman testified Thursday.

Marlena Meneses, 22, said she and Smich were watching the news on May 10, 2013, when Millard's name appeared on the screen — the report said he had been arrested in the Tim Bosma case. She freaked out and confronted Smich.

"He was like, 'I don't know, I wasn't really around him. He did everything, he did everything,'" Meneses recalled on the stand Thursday.

[...]

She didn't hear from her boyfriend after that until he and Millard came to pick her up at her sister's around 8 a.m. the next day. When she got into Millard's GMC Yukon, she said the pair seemed ready to "celebrate."

"They were really happy … they just said the mission went well," Meneses recalled in her testimony.

She didn't know specifically what the mission was, she said, but figured it had to do with their plans to steal a truck.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kaffro
Back