Boy with Down Syndrome denied first class

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I thought "stimming" an autistic trait, not Downs. Am I wrong?

Either way, I doubt hat stimming was the issue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think stimming refers to repetitive behavior that can be the result of a number of causes. There's a young man on Big Brother this season who is very mildly autistic (and highly intelligent) who has several behaviors (including swinging in a hammock) that help him to deal with the pressures of the game.

NONE of his behaviors would threaten an airplane flight. (Well, I suppose hanging a hammock in first class might be disruptive, but he isn't so extreme that he couldn't substitute a quieter activity. LOL.)

I still want to see the entire surveillance video, but that guy telling them they can't record needs to be shown a copy of the first amendment. JMO

Fine, but in the meantime, I've yet to hear one logical explanation as to why AA would deem the family too dangerous to fly as scheduled, but in the same instant deem them perfectly acceptable for a later flight.

The only difference was first class v. coach.

It's good to keep an open mind, but it's also good to keep a lookout for bull$hit.

I feel so badly for the young man and his family. I do think that some people still fear the unknown, be it a handicap or any other situation which they do not encounter everyday. That fear quickly can turn to prejudice and profiling. I am not saying it happened in this case, but it is one of the many possibilities .:maddening:

I want to see the entire airport security video.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With all due respect you don't know my family and what my experiences are. I am sorry if this story has brought back painful memories for you and your family.

This subject could be taking a turn to where I don't want to go to - I await to hear from others who were there to speak of what they saw this day.

I apologize... I did not mean to come across the way I did to you. I respect you and your opinions a lot. I am so sorry my post came across the way it did. I appreciate all of the differing ideas in regards to this story- everyones!

Since September 11.....things are different. The world changed that day. Sadly.

Because of events that happened that day, I think a pilot of an airplane, like the captain of a ship, should be able to refuse anyone boarding rights, no questions asked. Ultimately, the pilot is responsible for the safety and lives of all passengers and crew. IMO, that responsibility should come with the power to say who comes along, and who doesn't.

I apologize... I did not mean to come across the way I did to you. I respect you and your opinions a lot. I am so sorry my post came across the way it did. I appreciate all of the differing ideas in regards to this story- everyones!

Nobody asked my opinion, but I don't see whether either one of you acted rudely or offensively to the other.

Since September 11.....things are different. The world changed that day. Sadly.

Because of events that happened that day, I think a pilot of an airplane, like the captain of a ship, should be able to refuse anyone boarding rights, no questions asked. Ultimately, the pilot is responsible for the safety and lives of all passengers and crew. IMO, that responsibility should come with the power to say who comes along, and who doesn't.

Here is the real threat to freedom in this country. And it certainly doesn't come from those with down syndrome. It doesn't really even come from Muslim extremists.

We surrender our freedom out of fear.

http://www.radaronline.com/exclusiv...enage-boy-american-airlines-first-class-video

""It was horrible, humiliating. We were treated like criminals… One officer even told me to call our congressman and report the pilot," Vanderhorst said."

I find the above statement amusing since Mrs. Vanderhorst's brother is currently running for Congress in the 16th District in California. Brian Whelan.

I am also curious as to the other passengers in the waiting area and what they saw and heard prior to the Vanderhorsts being denied permission to board the plane. A five second video of the child sitting quietly in a seat doesn't tell me anything. It is the child's behavior prior to that that is apparently what led to American Airlines decision.

AA puts puts out a press release THAT DOESN'T EVEN MAKE SENSE AT FACE VALUE ("the child was too dangerous to fly, but we were happy to put him on another plane"), and posters here rush to defend the big-monied corporation.

"It is the child's behavior prior to that that is apparently what led to American Airlines' decision." Apparent why? Because AA says so? Apparent to whom? Flocks of sheep?

AA puts puts out a press release THAT DOESN'T EVEN MAKE SENSE AT FACE VALUE ("the child was too dangerous to fly, but we were happy to put him on another plane"), and posters here rush to defend the big-monied corporation.

"It is the child's behavior prior to that that is apparently what led to American Airlines' decision." Apparent why? Because AA says so? Apparent to whom? Flocks of sheep?

Couldn't agree more! Sometimes I just have to walk away from the forum...Ack! :takeabow:

Here is the real threat to freedom in this country. And it certainly doesn't come from those with down syndrome. It doesn't really even come from Muslim extremists.

We surrender our freedom out of fear.

Since 9/11 this well-made, well-taken, point won't fly.

Put your shoes in the bin, step into the X-ray machine, and throw any liquid over 3 fl. oz in that nice garbage can. The pilot will be locking the cockpit door. Rumor has it there are armed flight marshals....:waitasec: is that what they're called....strategically placed about the cabin. So, don't put a red bandanna around your head or get stupid.....

The let's-don't-be-paranoid or surrender-our-freedom-out-of-fear attitudes are vehicles that had the FBI turning deaf ears to the citizens reporting trial runs, and foreigners taking flying only (not landing) lessons.

Sorry. It's unfortunate. That attitude was burned up on 9/11. From now on, it's no more chances!!!

From what I have read here it seems people have no idea of the physical and mental abilities of a child with down syndrome. They have a lot of pain and really don't have the abilities that most people think.

Low muscle tone and loose ligaments are common with Down syndrome, resulting in dislocated hips, scoliosis, joint/muscle pain and muscle weakness. Some children with Down syndrome (about 10-20%) will have atlantoaxial instability (AAI), a condition with loose ligaments between the first and second cervical vertebrae in the neck that can often be seen on x-ray. AAI puts them at risk of spinal cord injuries if this joint becomes dislocated, and neurologic symptoms from AAI will occur in about 1% of children with Down syndrome. X-ray screening of children with Down syndrome to detect AAI is required before participation in certain contact sports in the Special Olympics.

Sounds like a real security risk.

http://www.health.state.mn.us/divs/fh/mcshn/bd/down.htm

Since 9/11 this well-made, well-taken, point won't fly.

Put your shoes in the bin, step into the X-ray machine, and throw any liquid over 3 fl. oz in that nice garbage can. The pilot will be locking the cockpit door. Rumor has it there are armed flight marshals....:waitasec: is that what they're called....strategically placed about the cabin. So, don't put a red bandanna around your head or get stupid.....

The let's-don't-be-paranoid or surrender-our-freedom-out-of-fear attitudes are vehicles that had the FBI turning deaf ears to the citizens reporting trial runs, and foreigners taking flying only (not landing) lessons.

Sorry. It's unfortunate. That attitude was burned up on 9/11. From now on, it's no more chances!!!

I'm sorry, but if the phrase "9/11" is to be used as a justification for any and all authoritarian oppression (Why not cancel all air travel while you're at it?), then the terrorists really have won.

As far as we know thus far, AA decided the kid was "too dangerous for first class", but "okay for coach." That kind of thinking has nothing to do with 9/11.

This kid was allowed on a flight right after the one they denied him. The only difference was the class he was allowed to fly in.

How does clearing a couple of rows help protect the safety of passengers? Sounds like something they did merely to maintain their b.s. story that this kid was too wild for an earlier, first class flight.

I think it;s pretty clear that this family was upgraded and then the airline staff saw who their son is. That was the problem. The only problem.

My proof? The only thing that has been released is video of a very calm young man with downs being told he can't board the plane and a mom who was upset as a result.

In that tape, the man denying the child the right to fly used the "security" excuse to try to get her to stop taping. Really?

In my experience, the only time a person filming is asked to stop taping in such situations is when a crook doesn't want to be recorded or when some authority figure is violating someone's rights. That's what did it for me.

It's simple, if the airline had done nothing wrong, they would not be afraid of the incident being filmed.

I have seen lots of posts on yahoo and CNN about this. I see a huge number of misconceptions about people with downs syndrome - that they are more prone to violence than others, that they have superhuman (read "inhuman") strength, that they are prone to becoming "out of control". As a result of the numerous misguided and ignorant posts I have seen by a huge cross-section of our society, I think it is very clear and very logical that someone involved in that flight did not want a disabled teen flying with them due to ignorance and prejudice.

And for anyone railing about how suspect it is that the family is doing "media tours" or threatening to sue, I suppose that's easy to get irritated about or to be suspicious of when it's not you or your kid's civil rights that have been violated. If it happened to my child, I would do the very same thing, to educate the public about the prejudice that remains against the disabled.

There but for the grace of God go any one of us. My heart goes out to parents who have to struggle and fight on a daily basis for their beautiful children, for the rights of those kids to be educated, to be treated with dignity and to share the experiences everyone else takes for granted.

This kid was allowed on a flight right after the one they denied him. The only difference was the class he was allowed to fly in.

How does clearing a couple of rows help protect the safety of passengers? Sounds like something they did merely to maintain their b.s. story that this kid was too wild for an earlier, first class flight.

I think it;s pretty clear that this family was upgraded and then the airline staff saw who their son is. That was the problem. The only problem.

My proof? The only thing that has been released is video of a very calm young man with downs being told he can't board the plane and a mom who was upset as a result.

In that tape, the man denying the child the right to fly used the "security" excuse to try to get her to stop taping. Really?

In my experience, the only time a person filming is asked to stop taping in such situations is when a crook doesn't want to be recorded or when some authority figure is violating someone's rights. That's what did it for me.

It's simple, if the airline had done nothing wrong, they would not be afraid of the incident being filmed.

I have seen lots of posts on yahoo and CNN about this. I see a huge number of misconceptions about people with downs syndrome - that they are more prone to violence than others, that they have superhuman (read "inhuman") strength, that they are prone to becoming "out of control". As a result of the numerous misguided and ignorant posts I have seen by a huge cross-section of our society, I think it is very clear and very logical that someone involved in that flight did not want a disabled teen flying with them due to ignorance and prejudice.

And for anyone railing about how suspect it is that the family is doing "media tours" or threatening to sue, I suppose that's easy to get irritated about or to be suspicious of when it's not you or your kid's civil rights that have been violated. If it happened to my child, I would do the very same thing, to educate the public about the prejudice that remains against the disabled.

There but for the grace of God go any one of us. My heart goes out to parents who have to struggle and fight on a daily basis for their beautiful children, for the rights of those kids to be educated, to be treated with dignity and to share the experiences everyone else takes for granted.

Gitana, the thanks button just wasn't enough... your kind, heartfelt post made me cry.

My son is the greatest gift I have ever been given in the most unusual package- a child with a triplication of chromosome 21, and I wouldn't trade him or our journey together for anything.

I only wish others understood the way you do... some do, but many more don't. Sigh

Hey, don't we all get a tad nervous before a flight?! Some of us drink, pray, pace and whatever else to calm down. It's a long wait while boarding.
This is sad and it's obvious why they didn't let him on.

I think it's great they are going so public with this AND that they are going to sue--the only thing the airlines seem to understand and honor is money, so having to pay someone a great deal of money seems to get their attention.

The parents are merely trying to see to it that their child is treated decently. I would much rather have him sitting next to me than some of the utter brats running up and down the aisle or the drunks I've had near me on planes.

Gitana1, I completely agree with everything you posted. The child I posted as an example in my own life of being prone to violence has additional issues NOT related to his downs that make him a safety risk imo. He doesn't understand what he is doing, I know that. I certainly don't resent him for it.
At the time I posted, I wasn't aware they put this young man on another flight, in another class, SEPARATED from the rest of the passengers by a couple of rows. So allow me to :truce: ~ I would be livid as well. How humiliating and WRONG that was. If he had been such a safety risk, he wouldn't have been allowed on a plane at all.
People generalize about people with disabilities all the time to what? Cover up their own character flaws? Showing contempt for differences? I truly don't know what motivates people to act that way. The question of whether I will take my child w/ needs on an airplane is still no, however. Just because it doesn't make sense for us, as all our immediate family lives in the same state, and quite frankly, we don't have the money to fly anyway. I have no doubt someday we will face a similar kind of scenario, as my son gets older. :moo::moo::moo:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kfran
Back