BP Oil Spill Approaching Gulf Coast

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
BP still has no detailed plans for oil clean-up
May 02, 2010 8:01 AM

PENSACOLA, Fla. (AP) - Gov. Charlie Crist has been told that oil from the massive spill off the coast of Louisiana won't reach Florida beaches for at least three days. But Crist was also told that it's only a matter of time when oil washes up on the Panhandle's sugar-white sands and beyond. About 200,000 gallons of oil a day are gushing from the well after an April 20 rig explosion.

Crist was briefed on the spill Saturday by the U.S. Coast Guard, BP PLC and Florida environmental Secretary Michael Sole. He also was shown equipment that's ready to try to contain the oil. Crist said, "We're going to see oil, I wish we weren't, but I think we're going to see it."

Meanwhile Louisiana's governor says he still has not received detailed plans from oil giant BP PLC and the Coast Guard on protecting the state's coast from a massive oil spill. Gov. Bobby Jindal said Saturday that he's been asking for the plans for more than a week. The governor says the oil spilled in the Gulf of Mexico, which is spewing from a sunken oil rig, "literally threatens our way of life" in the state.

Jindal plans to travel with President Barack Obama when the president visits Louisiana on Sunday. Jindal says 600 National Guard soldiers currently are on duty to help contain the spill. Another 1,000 are on standby. The Republican also says the state expects BP to cover all expenses related to the spill cleanup

http://www.cbs12.com/news/oil-4725883-crist-told.html

BP voids fishermen's cleanup contracts in La., cites legal mix-up

VENICE, La. - David Kinnaird, BP's liaison to Plaquemines Parish, spent Saturday night ripping up the contracts that hundreds of local commercial fishermen had signed to work for BP cleaning up the slick that could wipe out the local seafood industry.

It's not that BP didn't want to hire them. And there is nothing these fishermen would hesitate to do to save the bayous, canals and rivers where they and their families have made a living for generations - except this: Sign a contract with BP saying they will "hold harmless and indemnify … release, waive and forever discharge the BP Exploration and Production, Inc., its subsidiaries, affiliates, officers, directors, regular employees, and independent contractors … from all claims and damages" arising from helping to clean up the mess that BP has made.

No one wanted to waive the right to sue BP, but some fishermen, desperate for cash, signed the waiver anyway.

"I shouldn't have signed it," Louie Barthelemy said after leaving a three-hour training course for commercial fishermen interested in a BP cleanup job. Barthelemy was one of hundreds of fishermen who showed up at Boothville Elementary School on Saturday morning for the BP-sponsored class.

Sheriff's deputies parked along the side of the road with their lights flashing to guide the stream of fishermen into the parking lot. Some who signed the contract did not speak English. Others admitted they could barely read or write but needed work and signed without knowing what the contract said.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/b...n-la-cites-660372.html?cxtype=ynews_rss&imw=Y

UPDATE: Size of Gulf oil spill has tripled, expert says

SNIPPED........................................................................

The Coast Guard has estimated that about 200,000 gallons (757,060 liters) of oil are spewing out each day — which would mean 1.6 million gallons (6.06 million liters) of oil have spilled since the April 20 explosion that killed 11 workers. The environmental mess could eclipse the Exxon Valdez disaster, when an oil tanker spilled 11 million gallons (42 million liters) off Alaska's shores in 1989.

The slick nearly tripled in just a day or so, growing from a spill the size of Rhode Island to something closer to the size of Puerto Rico, according to images collected from mostly European satellites and analyzed by the University of Miami.

On Thursday, the size of the slick was about 1,150 square miles (nearly 3,000 square kilometers), but by Friday's end it was in the range of 3,850 square miles (9,900 square kilometers), said Hans Graber, executive director of the university's Center for Southeastern Tropical Advanced Remote Sensing. That suggests the oil has started spilling from the well more quickly, Graber said.

"The spill and the spreading is getting so much faster and expanding much quicker than they estimated," Graber told The Associated Press on Saturday.

Louisiana State University professor Ed Overton, who heads a federal chemical hazard assessment team for oil spills, cautioned that the satellite imagery could be deceiving.

He said satellites can't measure the thickness of the sheen and makes it difficult to judge how much oil is on the water.

Another issue is that the oil slicks are not one giant uniform spill the size of an island. Instead, they are "little globs of oil in an area of big water," Overton said.

One expert also cautioned that if the spill continues growing unchecked, sea currents could suck the sheen down past the Florida Keys and then up the Eastern Seaboard

http://www.heraldtribune.com/article/20100501/ARTICLE/5011072/2107/BUSINESS

Halliburton May Be Culprit In Oil Rig Explosion
Huffington Post First Posted: 04-30-10 10:43 AM

Giant oil-services provider Halliburton may be a primary suspect in the investigation into the oil rig explosion that has devastated the Gulf Coast, the Wall Street Journal reports.

Though the investigation into the explosion that sank the Deepwater Horizon site is still in its early stages, drilling experts agree that blame probably lies with flaws in the "cementing" process -- that is, plugging holes in the pipeline seal by pumping cement into it from the rig. Halliburton was in charge of cementing for Deepwater Horizon.

"The initial likely cause of gas coming to the surface had something to do with the cement," said Robert MacKenzie, managing director of energy and natural resources at FBR Capital Markets and a former cementing engineer in the oil industry.

The problem could have been a faulty cement plug at the bottom of the well, he said. Another possibility would be that cement between the pipe and well walls didn't harden properly and allowed gas to pass through it.

The possibility of Halliburton's culpability was first reported Monday by HuffPost's Marcus Baram.

According to a lawsuit filed in federal court by Natalie Roshto, whose husband Shane, a deck floor hand, was thrown overboard by the force of the explosion and whose body has not yet been located, Halliburton is culpable for its actions prior to the incident

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/04/30/halliburton-may-be-culpri_n_558481.html

s-OIL-RIG-large.jpg

Gulf rig had history of spills, fires
By FRANK JORDANS & GARANCE BURKE | AP

Published: May 2, 2010 03:55 Updated: May 2, 2010

During its nine years at sea, the Deepwater Horizon oil rig operated by BP suffered a series of spills, fires - even a collision - because of equipment failure, human error and bad weather. It also drilled the world's deepest offshore well.

But Deepwater Horizon's lasting legacy will undoubtedly be the environmental damage it caused after it exploded and sank, killing 11 crew and releasing an estimated 200,000 gallons (757,060 liters) of oil a day into the Gulf of Mexico.

What likely destroyed the rig in a ball of fire last week was a failure - or multiple failures - 5,000 feet (1,524 meters) below. That's where drilling equipment met the sea bed in a complicated construction of pipes, concrete and valves that gave way in a manner that no one has yet been able to explain.

Oil services contractor Halliburton Inc. said in a statement Friday that workers had finished cementing the well's pipes 20 hours before the rig went up in flames.

Halliburton is named as a defendant in most of the more than two dozen lawsuits filed by Gulf Coast people and businesses claiming the oil spill could ruin them financially. Without elaborating, one lawsuit filed by an injured technician on the rig claims that Halliburton improperly performed its job in cementing the well, “increasing the pressure at the well and contributing to the fire, explosion and resulting oil spill.” Remote-controlled blowout preventers designed to apply brute force to seal off a well should have kicked in. But they failed to activate after the explosion.

http://arabnews.com/world/article49209.ece

Obama heads to Gulf Coast today

VENICE, La. (AP) — President Barack Obama heads south today to do his own assessment of the situation involving an oil slick from a blown out Gulf of Mexico well.

Officials now worry not only about the impact on Gulf Coast states, but what might happen if the growing oil slick gets caught up in the Gulf Stream and heads into the Atlantic and up the East Coast.

Obama's visit comes amid growing criticism that the government and oil company BP PLC should have done more to stave off the disaster

http://www.myfoxlubbock.com/news/na...-Gulf-Coast-today/u7DvnxpZmkWU8gUmMEu4gA.cspx

I am so sick over all of this and enraged as well. If they are going to drill out in the ocean there should be better means to stop this from happening then what apparently is in place now. This is catastrophic in more ways then one ....

I am saddened about all the lives lost as well from this and my prayers go out to all of the loved ones who have lost someone.

I have always been against off shore drilling this is my main reason why. When you are drilling on land and something like this happens you can at least reach it to fix the problem, and it is not as devestating.

If people would pull their head out of you know where there are plenty of alternatives to sustain our oil dependency alot that are reusable. I am so sick of standing by watching in disbelief the destruction of our planet when will people get a clue ?

I have to go before I really get on a rampage ... sorry

I design blowout preventors for off shore drilling ships here in houston. These are very high pressure valves. They spend a lot of money and time in research to. I read that "blow-outs" off shore rarely happen and this just seems to be an unfortunate blowout. Drilling is a very dirty and dangerous job for sure.

I have read a couple of articles now stating that it could take 3 months to get the oil leak shut down. It is reported that there is something like 100 million barrels of oil in that well ... We can not wait 3 months !!! We also have hurricane season fast approaching in June ....

This is a good article, talks about wha happened that day on the rig, I know it is a blog but interesting none the less:

April 26, 2010

Transocean Rig Disaster: The Well From

Dear Outstanding Investments Reader,

Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more. Here’s another update on the disaster that befell Transocean Ltd. (RIG: NYSE) and BP (BP: NYSE) last week in the Gulf of Mexico. (Thanks to OI reader Steve, in Texas, for sending some of the photos in today’s alert.)

As you know by now, the drilling vessel Deepwater Horizon exploded, burned and sank last week, with the loss of 11 workers and injuries to many more. What happened? What’s happening now? What’s going to happen? I’ve spent the weekend working to piece things together.

An Ill-fated Discovery

According to news accounts, at about 10 p.m. CDT last Tuesday, Deepwater Horizon was stable, holding an exact position in calm, dark seas about 45 miles south of the Louisiana coastline. Water depth in the area is 5,000 feet. The vessel manifest listed 126 souls on board.

Deepwater Horizon was finishing work on an exploration well named Macondo, in an area called Mississippi Canyon Block 252. After weeks of drilling, the rig had pushed a bit down over 18,000 feet, into an oil-bearing zone. The Transocean and BP personnel were installing casing in the well. BP was going to seal things up, and then go off and figure out how to produce the oil — another step entirely in the oil biz.

The Macondo Block 252 reservoir may hold as much as 100 million barrels. That’s not as large as other recent oil strikes in the Gulf, but BP management was still pleased. Success is success — certainly in the risky, deep-water oil environment. The front office of BP Exploration was preparing a press release to announce a “commercial” oil discovery.

This kind of exploration success was par for the course for Deepwater Horizon. A year ago, the vessel set a record at another site in the Gulf, drilling a well just over 35,000 feet and discovering the 3 billion barrel Tiber deposit for BP. So Deepwater Horizon was a great rig, with a great crew and a superb record. You might even say that is was lucky

http://theburningplatform.com/blog/2010/04/27/peak-oil-denial-update/

BP voids fishermen's cleanup contracts in La., cites legal mix-up

VENICE, La. - David Kinnaird, BP's liaison to Plaquemines Parish, spent Saturday night ripping up the contracts that hundreds of local commercial fishermen had signed to work for BP cleaning up the slick that could wipe out the local seafood industry.

It's not that BP didn't want to hire them. And there is nothing these fishermen would hesitate to do to save the bayous, canals and rivers where they and their families have made a living for generations - except this: Sign a contract with BP saying they will "hold harmless and indemnify … release, waive and forever discharge the BP Exploration and Production, Inc., its subsidiaries, affiliates, officers, directors, regular employees, and independent contractors … from all claims and damages" arising from helping to clean up the mess that BP has made.
No one wanted to waive the right to sue BP, but some fishermen, desperate for cash, signed the waiver anyway.

"I shouldn't have signed it," Louie Barthelemy said after leaving a three-hour training course for commercial fishermen interested in a BP cleanup job. Barthelemy was one of hundreds of fishermen who showed up at Boothville Elementary School on Saturday morning for the BP-sponsored class.

Sheriff's deputies parked along the side of the road with their lights flashing to guide the stream of fishermen into the parking lot. Some who signed the contract did not speak English. Others admitted they could barely read or write but needed work and signed without knowing what the contract said.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/b...n-la-cites-660372.html?cxtype=ynews_rss&imw=Y

Even as the desperate fishermen want to help with this catastrophy, BP is concentrating on making sure the very fishermen who's way of living is being destroyed won't be able to collect any damages if the captains, crew or their boats suffer damages helping to clean up the mess BP made!

WTF?

I think that the State of Mississippi and Louisiana need some kind of spiritual intervention. It seems to have started out with Katrina and hasn't stopped, hurricanes, tornadoes and now a catastrophic oil spill. How much can they take. They say that you're only handed out what you can handle, well I just don't know how much they can take. We're praying for all of you especially with hurricane season approaching.

Got this a little while ago via e-mail from my local emergency management office:

NOAA is restricting fishing for a minimum of ten days in federal waters most affected by the BP oil spill, largely between Louisiana state waters at the mouth of the Mississippi River to waters off Florida’s Pensacola Bay. The closure is effective immediately. Details can be found at: http://sero.nmfs.noaa.gov/. Fishermen who wish to contact BP about a claim should call (800) 440-0858.

I'd like to hear from the people who live, fish or own rental property in the areas possibly/probably affected. The oil spill is so awful, I really really hope damage is minimal.

They have my sympathy and prayers.

We own coastal property (some of it rental) in Gulf Shores, Alabama, Perdido Key, Florida, and also in Destin, Florida. So far the oil has not come ashore, but our local paper here in Pensacola said that it is a sure thing that it's coming our way. My family also owns 3 local restuarants here in Pensacola - 2 of them being mainly seafood restaurants. We're just kinda on a watch and wait situation here.

I feel bad for all that is affected by this. I also feel for the sea creatures alot of them are gonna die because of this oil spill.

We own coastal property (some of it rental) in Gulf Shores, Alabama, Perdido Key, Florida, and also in Destin, Florida. So far the oil has not come ashore, but our local paper here in Pensacola said that it is a sure thing that it's coming our way. My family also owns 3 local restuarants here in Pensacola - 2 of them being mainly seafood restaurants. We're just kinda on a watch and wait situation here.

I wish the best for you Gypsy road, I LOVE the area and local restaurants. Everyone is so friendly and down to earth. I can totally relax when I am on vacation there. Its my favorite vacation place, it sickens me to think what might happen...especially since the hurricanes went through and people are trying to rebuild.

I feel bad for all that is affected by this. I also feel for the sea creatures alot of them are gonna die because of this oil spill.
That's the saddest part about all of it. Man is going to be impacted in a big way, but man can rely on other resources to help them through this ordeal - although I realize it will be tough. However, the Gulf is home to many sea creatures who will be helpless when the oil reaches them. It deeply hurts my heart to think of their suffering - especially due to something that could have been prevented.

I'm in North Florida and Wednesday I saw men out in the bay putting up the orange barriers in the coastal waters. They think the oil will impact our coastline staring on Monday. Such a shame for all the wildlife that thrives here on our coast. Also, I can't help but wonder if any of the bodies of the men who are missing will wash in. I know that's a morbid thought, but their families need closure and it would be a better thing to have a their bodies to bury. Saying a prayer for everyone and everything that has and will be impacted by this.

I doubt any remains will be found. The information I have leans toward the likelihood the casualties occurred near the initial impact, which was a very specific area on the rig. The men who were lost did not linger.

I'm praying for the families, too. My husband lost one of his buddies in the blowout.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusslikeme
Back