Brad Cooper: Appeal info

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
latest filing

this might relate to what I posted above:

"the memorandum in this case improperly contains quotations from the transcript as well as counsel’s summary of testimony that includes words
underlined and bolded for emphasis."

Closing arguments ≠ testimony.

Testimony and rulings are what the appellate level concentrates on.

Friends provided pictures of Nancy wearing the necklace and claimed that she never took it off. People that were with her at the pool on the afternoon of the party claimed that she was wearing her necklace. Video from that day, taken after Nancy left the pool and before she went home, showed that she was not wearing her necklace. What the defense demonstrated was that the claims regarding the necklace, made by friends and family, were untrue. They did not look at every picture in history to find one where she was not wearing the necklace.

It was found in a drawer.

Personal remarks have no place here.

That video made any other arguments about the necklace moot. All we know with regards to the necklace is that she wasn't wearing it in a video at Harris Teeter less than 24 hours before her death. How often she wore it prior to that trip to HT doesn't matter.

Having watched this, and having forgotten a lot of the Jay Ward testimony, including the voir dire testimony, I find it interesting the appeals court is focusing on whether Jay Ward's lack of "forensic" qualifications excludes him from testifying as an expert. I agree with the appeal court that the word "forensic" isn't particular helpful to determine qualifications.

That being said, Jay Ward's expertise was network security, not in how data should appear on a hard drive for any particular operating system.

In any event, Jay Ward was allowed to testify as a network security expert, was he not?

I found both appellate counsel's arguments poor-- in that they both missed their best points, but that's just my opinion. I found it interesting that the appeal panel focused a lot on the threshold test to qualify an expert under the NC rules.

I also found it interesting that Brad's appellate counsel chose to not throw Kurtz under the bus. And that Kurtz was in the front row watching.

This appeal is not really about whether Brad did it, which I'm confident he did, but rather, on the integrity of the process. And that's fine too. Brad may very well obtain a new trial in this.

Looking back, I expect the state, knowing about the technical side better now than they seem to before, would have a stronger case the second time around.

I know it is standard to claim incompetent defense, but I think Kurtz did a great job.

Closing arguments ≠ testimony.

Of course - and I never equated the two.

Testimony and rulings are what the appellate level concentrates on.

Not quite. Judicial error (incl discretion or lack of re: attorney conduct and other things) is what the Appeals Court deals with.

Are you suggesting that NC Appellate Court would not entertain issues relating to what is said in closing arguments? and weigh the effect of those issues on the result of the trial?

Are you suggesting that NC Appellate Court would not entertain issues relating to what is said in closing arguments? and weigh the effect of those issues on the result of the trial?
When Boz made his statement about "no forensic expert sat in the witness chair and told you that..." that was an accurate statement. He didn't provide the full context of why no defense expert testified about the computer files but I'm not aware of any requirement to do so. The jury was instructed that closing arguments are not evidence and they are to rely on their own notes and observations to determine the truth.

If BC does win an overturned conviction then the other evidence against him that was found in the latter stage of the trial by Cisco but not presented to the jury--the sys event files found that prove he was both in possession of a 3825 router and connected to the CSCO network around 10pm the night of the murder will be used in a retrial. I believe if there is a retrial he will again be convicted.

That video made any other arguments about the necklace moot. All we know with regards to the necklace is that she wasn't wearing it in a video at Harris Teeter less than 24 hours before her death. How often she wore it prior to that trip to HT doesn't matter.

And that grainy poor quality HT video was made moot by the fact that 3 witnesses testified to seeing NC wear that necklace after that HT video. First at her own house around 3pm by one witness and then 2 other witnesses at the BBQ across the street starting at 6pm. Further, 2 witnesses testified NC was wearing the necklace at the pool where she was, immediately before her visit to HT.

All anyone can say about the HT video is they can't see her necklace around her neck in the video. No one can definitively say she wasn't wearing it. Her diamond earrings are also not visible in that video and there was no suggestion by the defense she wasn't wearing those (but again there was testimony that she was indeed wearing the earrings both before and after the HT visit and also at the party).

Doesn't matter what people think they see or not see in a poor quality video. She was witnessed by several people wearing her necklace and earrings the last time anyone aside from her husband saw her alive.

And that grainy poor quality HT video was made moot by the fact that 3 witnesses testified to seeing NC wear that necklace after that HT video. First at her own house around 3pm by one witness and then 2 other witnesses at the BBQ across the street starting at 6pm. Further, 2 witnesses testified NC was wearing the necklace at the pool where she was, immediately before her visit to HT.

All anyone can say about the HT video is they can't see her necklace around her neck in the video. No one can definitively say she wasn't wearing it. Her diamond earrings are also not visible in that video and there was no suggestion by the defense she wasn't wearing those (but again there was testimony that she was indeed wearing the earrings both before and after the HT visit and also at the party).

Doesn't matter what people think they see or not see in a poor quality video. She was witnessed by several people wearing her necklace and earrings the last time anyone aside from her husband saw her alive.

It's only people in this forum that suggested she was actually wearing the necklace in the HT video. The prosecution certainly didn't argue that she was. If they thought she was, it would have been easy to recreate since they had the necklace and hat HT is still there. But they didn't argue that the video was misleading. She wasn't wearing it at HT, which means she did take it off. So her wearing it later at the party means nothing. That's the problem with words like always and never.

Regardless of whether the state argued the HT video, no one can say for sure she wasn't wearing the necklace. We can't see the necklace, we can't see the diamond earrings, we can't see her ears, we can't see lots of things.

You keep claiming she wasn't wearing the necklace at HT. Were you at HT and were you a direct eye witness to that? The video is not clear enough to say for sure.

The witnesses who did see her wearing the necklace at the party AND the witness who did see her wearing the necklace immediately after her trip to HT are on record. You can choose to believe whatever you want, but the video isn't clear.

You also have to believe she took off her necklace upon coming home from the party and put it not in her own bedroom where she got undressed, not in her dresser, nor in her own bathroom, but leaving the necklace somewhere. It didn't appear in any pictures taken of the various rooms the day she went missing, it wasn't sitting out on the 12th, BC sure didn't mention it, and it was ultimately found in BC's room.

We can agree to disagree. Based on what I saw in that video, she wasn't wearing it. Also, that is what the defense claimed during the trial based on that video. And the prosecution didn't argue what the video showed. So I feel comfortable saying she wasn't wearing the necklace at Harris teeter.

I know this isn't the correct place to put this comment, and I realize that prolly no one will see it, but I had to write it down for Nancy somewhere....

My DH and I were at Morehead City, NC, last weekend -- 8/10,11, and 12/2013, and I was on our little balcony which overlooks an arm of the Inland Waterway. All weekend I saw those sweet little yellow butterflies -- the ones NC loved so and for which the Butterfly Fund, etc., was named. All I could think was how much she loved to see them with her girls, and how many now that she hasn't seen from a similar setting as I did yesterday. It made me think of her, her sweet daughters whom she loved so very much, and her wonderful twin sister.

The butterflies were just darting about and catching the wind and making the world a prettier place just like Nancy did when she was here with us. Seeing them also made me angry just a bit, and NC wouldn't have wanted that, I'm sure. So I thought again about her smiling face and the faces of her girls who were always smiling when they were with her.

Live strong, little girls, and let your Krista-Mom remind you about those butterflies your Mommy loved so much to see. Be strong and smart and happy and be sure love each other.
icon7.gif

borndem, that is such a nice post and thought. I wish the same as you for those precious little girls. I hope their lives have had some happiness in it with Krista-Mom and her wonderful family.

I can't believe the Rentz family is going to have to live through this again.

The evidence against Brad Cooper is questionable at best and nonexistent at worst. He deserves a new trial and the Rentz family deserves to feel secure that Nancy's killer has been found and put behind bars - I find it hard to believe that they are completely secure about that right now.

Maybe he will get a fair trial this time. And I hope that the DA can explain what happened on his computer. If it was private browsing that caused it, show it and convict him again. But I have been vocal all along that the trial wasn't fair and that Gessner's ruling weren't fair. I was pissed off as a citizen of Wake County so I'm glad he gets a new trial.

The ruling was pretty bad for Gessner. http://www.wral.com/asset/news/local/2013/09/03/12845372/BradCooper.pdf

They agreed with the defense on all 3 points. In fact, they ruled on #2 (Massucci not being allowed to testify) even though they said they didn't need to because of the ruling on #1 (Ward being limited in what he could testify to). And #3 was the whole national security stuff and not being able to ask Special Agent Johnson any questions about his testing or even being allowed to ask him if it would affect national security.

Basically, the trial was a sham. I'm no Brad Cooper apologist. And I've gone back and forth from innocent to guilty many times. But the way Gessner ran that trial and let Zellinger manipulate him was absolutely pathetic. I'm sorry for the Rentz family that they are going to have to go through this again. But I'm happy for our justice system that Brad Cooper will have the opportunity for a fair trial. And if he is convicted, then he can rot in jail.

Hopefully it will be Judge Stephens who takes the case the 2nd time to help reduce the probability of legal errors.

I hope so too. I loved the way he ran the Young trial.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper