BREAKING Capitol police: US Capitol in lockdown, reports of gunshots, injured officer

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Shooting out tires does not stop a car. It may slow it but it's dangerous to go shooting all over the place. When they shoot, they shoot to kill. Until then, they don't shoot at all. When it comes to the point that they need to pull a gun, it's no longer about trying to preserve the life of the subject.

Yeah, it's called mental illness. That's what's off.

People who are mentally ill do not act in ways that are logical. Because they are mentally ill. But they are capable of inmmense planning and that would include driving.

There's no conspiracy here. She was crazy, endangered lives and the police eventually has to take all measures to stop her, in order to save other lives.

BBM

EXACTLY. Very well said. She was probably delusional and acting out. People in full blown psychotic episodes are often fully capable of traveling, talking, driving and fulfilling their 'missions.' When my younger brother had his very first 'episode' at 19, he used my moms credit card to fly to Honolulu and ended up on a remote mountain top, where he ended up falling and being rescued and then hospitalized. And we didnt even know he had left his college campus.

The barrier she hit was at the WH. It was a barrier rolled in front of her car when she kept trying to enter a restricted area. At this time, she also struck a secret service agent who was thrown onto the hood of her car and fell off as she turned her car around. AFAIK, video of this incident hasn't been released to the public yet.

The video at the link is of her encounter with LE in front of the Capitol, after she had left the WH and drove down Pennsylvania Ave. It's about a mile away from the WH.

Where was the damage to her car if she hit a barricade in front of the White House? Why didn't her air-bags deploy? Why was the front end of her car & headlights still 100% intact when her car stopped in front of the barricade at the Capitol where a police van prevented her from completing a u-turn she was trying to make, and which to me was obvious from the full video of the Capitol encounter, and not the edited version I've also seen.

I'm afraid until I see the video you mention, I'll continue to question if over zealous police gunned down an innocent, albeit, mentally ill mother who panicked when police cornered her vehicle, and came out with their guns drawn. If legit, the video will surface. If the story is false, we'll never see that video.

Sisters question fatal shooting in DC police chase

LARRY NEUMEISTER, AP
8 hours ago

NEW YORK (AP) — The sisters of a woman who was fatally shot in Washington after trying to ram her car through a White House barrier say she was not a criminal and police should not have shot her.

"We're still very confused as a family why she's not still alive," Amy Carey-Jones said late Friday, speaking of her 34-year-old sister, Miriam Carey. "I really feel like it's not justified, not justified."

Another sister, retired New York City police officer Valarie Carey, said there was "no need for a gun to be used when there was no gunfire coming from the vehicle."

The sisters spoke outside Valarie Carey's home in Brooklyn Friday night after traveling to Washington to identify Miriam Carey's body...

http://xfinity.comcast.net/articles/news-national/20131005/US--Capitol-Lockdown/

There's no conspiracy here. She was crazy, endangered lives and the police eventually has to take all measures to stop her, in order to save other lives.

The thanks button wasn't enough!

Car in itself can be used as a deadly weapon.
I am guessing she was psychotic, but police have to stop such an individual so that individual doesn't endanger lives.

Car in itself can be used as a deadly weapon.

Yes a car can. Also a car can be loaded with explosives and plow through gates.

The Capitol Police showed a lot of leniency IMO.

...There's no conspiracy here. She was crazy, endangered lives and the police eventually has to take all measures to stop her, in order to save other lives...

Yes, MC endangered lives - especially that of her year-old daughter who was in the vehicle with her. The child must have been frightened beyond belief when her mother began driving erratically :eek: I hope that the little girl will be raised by family members who are able to provide a loving environment in which she will thrive despite this tragedy.

Yes, MC endangered lives - especially that of her year-old daughter who was in the vehicle with her. The child must have been frightened beyond belief when her mother began driving erratically :eek: I hope that the little girl will be raised by family members who are able to provide a loving environment in which she will thrive despite this tragedy.

We are lucky the baby wasn't hurt. If she had been it would have been the fault if the court system. When the baby was 4 months old, the father said the mother was dangerously mentally ill and he tried to take custody, stating he fel MC might harm the baby. The fact that she had her kid indicates someone didn't believe him.

Oh, and I don't think much of the sisters who are downplaying her serious mental issues. This is why things like this happen.

I hope that the little girl will be raised by family members who are able to provide a loving environment in which she will thrive despite this tragedy.

If family and friends HEARD her saying she thought Obama was stalking her and they were "okay with that"....

Well if that were the case I sort of don't think family is able to provide a stable upbringing.

If family and friends HEARD her saying she thought Obama was stalking her and they were "okay with that"....

Well if that were the case I sort of don't think family is able to provide a stable upbringing.

I'm sorry for not being more specific: I meant the father and his family. I understand that the little girl's father tried to get custody because he believed that the child's mother was unstable. He should get custody of his daughter, and a court should determine whether or not visitation rights should be granted to the child's maternal relatives who are obviously in denial regarding MC's mental illness. :moo:

I can tell you this there are a lot of people out there with mental illness.I am one of them I have clinical depression and anxiety.I am glad to be able to treat it with medication and behavior modification.The problem I think we are seeing people having these episodes because they are not seeking doctor's care like they should or taking their medicine everyday.I know from experience if you miss it just for a week,things can start unraveling quickly.Even after a couple days I start feeling agitated and dizzy.I am lucky I have insurance,the problem is these medications are expensive and you have to see your doctor regularly to even get scripts.What about the unemployed or people that are really down on their luck and need this medication? I think this is where some of the problem lies.Her sister mentioned in a news article Miriam was weaning herself off the medicine.Denial?? or just money problems? I think the whole family was in denial.

"Carey took medication, which she was tapering off, and participated in counseling and "had her challenges" with the illness, Carey-Jones said. "There was not moments of her walking around with delusions, that's not what was going on," she said"

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/chi-capitol-hill-shooting-20131004,0,253010.story

Why would anyone who thought the President was talking to them via airwaves or whatever be tapering off of any medication? That's not just simple depression or anxiety disorder.

I can tell you this there are a lot of people out there with mental illness.I am one of them I have clinical depression and anxiety.I am glad to be able to treat it with medication and behavior modification.The problem I think we are seeing people having these episodes because they are not seeking doctor's care like they should or taking their medicine everyday.I know from experience if you miss it just for a week,things can start unraveling quickly.Even after a couple days I start feeling agitated and dizzy.I am lucky I have insurance,the problem is these medications are expensive and you have to see your doctor regularly to even get scripts.What about the unemployed or people that are really down on their luck and need this medication? I think this is where some of the problem lies.Her sister mentioned in a news article Miriam was weaning herself off the medicine.Denial?? or just money problems? I think the whole family was in denial.

"Carey took medication, which she was tapering off, and participated in counseling and "had her challenges" with the illness, Carey-Jones said. "There was not moments of her walking around with delusions, that's not what was going on," she said"

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/chi-capitol-hill-shooting-20131004,0,253010.story

Clinical depression is not any where close to being a similar mental illness to schizophrenia or experiencing a psychosis. I'm glad you are able to find a combo treatment that is helpful.

Tapering off her medication can also mean a change in medication, sometimes you have to taper off of one type of medication before starting a new one. The family is not much help in getting to the depth and seriousness of Carey's mental illness. She should not have been the primary caregiver for her child, not with her level of illness. She put her daughter in danger that day. Carey's sister's are in denial, I don't think it's financial in this case. Families need to help end the stigma of mental illness, there is nothing to be ashamed of. Secrecy makes mental illness worse.

Yes finances can be a barrier to receiving proper help for mental illness, this is unfortunate.

Why would anyone who thought the President was talking to them via airwaves or whatever be tapering off of any medication? That's not just simple depression or anxiety disorder.

If her psychosis was caused by something like schizophrenia, then that sounds normal. Some people start to think that they are doing well and stop taking their medication and of course this is when the delusions get worse. Medication helps to stop the "voices", but these "voices" will tell them to stop taking the medication because it is poison, or the gov't is using the medication for mind control, or they think people are trying to kill them. Lots of reasons that of course make no sense to the rest of us who are not schizophrenic or have similar mental illnesses.

I heard in one interview with her sister that she developed the psychosis after the birth of her last child. The sister claimed that the doctors told her it would take about a year of medication for the illness to "go away" and, since the year had passed, she had tapered them off.

I'm not buying that at all. I am awaiting the toxicology results to see if she had ANY medication in her system.

As for her sisters not understanding why she was shot and killed, I would point out to them that she had a perfect chance to avoid that when her car was stopped and she was surrounded by LE. She could have surrendered, but she didn't. She just backed her car into the police car and clipped an officer. She then took off at 80 mph on Constitution Ave.

LE could not make a decision that this was "just" a psychotic dental hygienist from Connecticut with her baby in the back seat.

Besides the post-partum depression and/or psychosis, it's entirely possible that Miriam suffered some degree of brain damage in the fall that has been reported. Barry Weiss, the dentist for whom MC worked, had to let her go because she was making patients uncomfortable, getting into disagreements with co-workers, etc. Dr. Weiss suggested that the personality changes were noticeable after the fall. :moo:

I heard in one interview with her sister that she developed the psychosis after the birth of her last child. The sister claimed that the doctors told her it would take about a year of medication for the illness to "go away" and, since the year had passed, she had tapered them off.

I'm not buying that at all. I am awaiting the toxicology results to see if she had ANY medication in her system.

As for her sisters not understanding why she was shot and killed, I would point out to them that she had a perfect chance to avoid that when her car was stopped and she was surrounded by LE. She could have surrendered, but she didn't. She just backed her car into the police car and clipped an officer. She then took off at 80 mph on Constitution Ave.

LE could not make a decision that this was "just" a psychotic dental hygienist from Connecticut with her baby in the back seat.

Yup. Apparently "just psychotic" people do horrific things, like Arizona (Gabriel Giffords) and, if what so many say is true, Colorado (the theatre) and Newtown, etc., etc.

Part of mental illness is believing you are better and then stopping taking meds and relapsing. I am doing rotations at an inpatient state psych hospital in a couple weeks and the doctors say its a "revolving door", that they patients released will be back. Either they never believe they need meds, don't like the side effects, or think they're better, stopping meds is common.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Yup. Apparently "just psychotic" people do horrific things, like Arizona (Gabriel Giffords) and, if what so many say is true, Colorado (the theatre) and Newtown, etc., etc.

So Very Sad, this entire situation.

I am RARELY on the side of cops (sorry:), but in this case, I believe they had no choice.

Part of mental illness is believing you are better and then stopping taking meds and relapsing. I am doing rotations at an inpatient state psych hospital in a couple weeks and the doctors say its a "revolving door", that they patients released will be back. Either they never believe they need meds, don't like the side effects, or think they're better, stopping meds is common.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Great post!!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mascaraguns