BREAKING NEWS: New DNA Analysis Suggests Family Should NOT Have Been Cleared

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
The Denver Press Club Discussion About Finding The Truth Behind The DNA Reports

KUSA-TV's Kevin Vaughan was there tonight. The Daily Camera's Charlie Brennan was stuck in Boulder with the Front Range's first snowstorm of the year. Boulder is North of Denver and was getting hit with blizzard conditions. I was a little uneasy that no one would turn-out because of the weather. It was a nice group with a few journalism students and other people from the media. I was unsure if anyone who really follows the case was there. If they were, they were quiet.

Kevin told the story about how he and Charlie had to pitch the story, do the investigative work and eventually managed to get copies of the DNA reports. From there, they sought-out DNA experts to explain them. An interesting side story was that all three of the experts said that one DNA report was missing from the batch. They had to go back to their source.. This last report was the most damning for Mary Lacy. It was the evidence that Mary Lacy should have not used this DNA evidence to exonerate the Ramseys. It doesn't prove RDI or IDI. Worst of all, anyone who was excluded as a suspect based on the DNA evidence should not be excluded. The police should go back again and have another look at the suspect list.

The information Kevin had about tDNA and secondary transference wasn't surprising. I've seen it argued here on WS many times and I've argued it myself. It is, however, nice to see someone from the media saying it.

The most interesting fact I took from this discussion was that washing clothing does not remove DNA. It actually mixes the DNA on the clothing throughout the wash. That makes sense. I've seen it argued here on WS many times that laundering clothing removes DNA. It might wash away many cells, but it doesn't remove them all.
You rock, BoldBear! Thanks so much for this report. I'm sure it was disappointing that Charlie Brennan couldn't be there; and I'll bet he was disappointed, too. I hope you enjoyed your visit back to the Denver Press Club.

The Denver Press Club Discussion About Finding The Truth Behind The DNA Reports

KUSA-TV's Kevin Vaughan was there tonight. The Daily Camera's Charlie Brennan was stuck in Boulder with the Front Range's first snowstorm of the year. Boulder is North of Denver and was getting hit with blizzard conditions. I was a little uneasy that no one would turn-out because of the weather. It was a nice group with a few journalism students and other people from the media. I was unsure if anyone who really follows the case was there. If they were, they were quiet.

Kevin told the story about how he and Charlie had to pitch the story, do the investigative work and eventually managed to get copies of the DNA reports. From there, they sought-out DNA experts to explain them. An interesting side story was that all three of the experts said that one DNA report was missing from the batch. They had to go back to their source.. This last report was the most damning for Mary Lacy. It was the evidence that Mary Lacy should have not used this DNA evidence to exonerate the Ramseys. It doesn't prove RDI or IDI. Worst of all, anyone who was excluded as a suspect based on the DNA evidence should not be excluded. The police should go back again and have another look at the suspect list.

The information Kevin had about tDNA and secondary transference wasn't surprising. I've seen it argued here on WS many times and I've argued it myself. It is, however, nice to see someone from the media saying it.

The most interesting fact I took from this discussion was that washing clothing does not remove DNA. It actually mixes the DNA on the clothing throughout the wash. That makes sense. I've seen it argued here on WS many times that laundering clothing removes DNA. It might wash away many cells, but it doesn't remove them all.

RBBM

BB: I've seen it argued here on WS many times that laundering clothing removes DNA. It might wash away many cells, but it doesn't remove them all

Thanks, BoldBear, this is an interesting side-note. Thank you for going to that presentation.

Since I don’t know the context of Vaughan’s comment, I believe it’s important to look at this DNA and the laundry subject a little more closely.

After the interviewers reviewed Patsy’s explanation about the blanket and the manner in which JonBenét’s bed was made, it was decided that most likely the blanket came from the dryer. For IDI then, the aspect of the ‘undoing’ is diminished as the nightgown must have been washed and dried with the blanket and arrived by statically clinging to the blanket. No Intruder will know that it was JB’s favorite nightgown. And the very forensically savvy Intruder wore gloves when he removed these items from the dryer.

Kolar states, the presence of tDNA on the nightgown is not relevant to the crime since the family all lived together.

So the argument reverts to whether an Intruder inadvertently removed the nightgown, and it so happened that BR’s and Patsy’s tDNA survived the washing and drying.

With semen, it is absolutely true that multiple washing may not destroy DNA. A study once demonstrated that complete DNA profiles can be obtained from laundered clothing, and DNA from semen stains have been found even with a lag time of months between semen deposition and laundering.

My understanding is that it’s similarly true with blood DNA, unless the laundress uses bleach which would tend to destroy the DNA.

So returning to the discussion on the tDNA. From a study published in 2015 research shows that DNA from blood and semen, on both donor and acceptor material, can be detected regardless of washing method – hand or machine washing. The DNA tests are becoming more and more sensitive. It’s different for skin cell DNA or touch DNA. After washing by hand, only little residual tDNA was found. After machine washing, no reliable tDNA could be verified.

“No reliable tDNA” are the key words here.

So much of the case for an Intruder is on a continuum of probabilities. Is it possible for tDNA to be retained in the wash? Guess so. Is it probable or likely a full allele profile of tDNA can be obtained? That is clearly negated in the studies of this. For me, the unambiguous identification of Patsy’s and BR’s tDNA on the nightie seems to argue against reliable tDNA being retained from the laundry, and this nightgown arriving in the wc by coincidence. Does it mean PR and BR were at the crime scene? Not necessarily.

I found JR’s response to the nightgown very interesting. From his ’98 interview:
JOHN RAMSEY: I had never seen
11 that. I didn't see it when he was down this.

12 Sounds very bizarre. I don't know why that
13 would be there. I mean that room was usually
14 full of Christmas stuff. It's a nasty room.
15 Just you didn't go in there.
16 MIKE KANE: Could have been brought
17 down in a blanket?
18 JOHN RAMSEY: I suppose, I don't
19 know. I didn't see it at all. As part of the
20 blanket or anything.
21 MIKE KANE: You don't remember it
22 being there or anywhere?
23 JOHN RAMSEY: Not at all.

“JOHN RAMSEY: I had never seen
11 that. I didn't see it when he was down this.”
– Must be a transcription error, unless the 'he' JR is referencing is the Intruder or BR.

The Denver Press Club? I used to go there for burgers on Thursdays. I thought they tore it down. Great place. A bar with a fireplace in the front. The dining area in back is lined with caricatures of old members of the press. They have some original newspaper printing plates and press typewriters. As I recall, the basement had a great space for cards with these strange old wooden booths next to the restrooms. Walking into the building gives me the warm nostalgia feeling of the great old newspaper days. The last time I was there was when we had a wake for my best friend. I miss him. He'd love to take me there for a burger and we'd chat politics. A middle of the road conservative and a middle of the road democrat agreeing on almost everything. Everybody called him Doc but he'd get mad at me if I called him that. His close friends called him Bugs. I wish I could call him up again and hear his voice. We'd go down to the Press Club on Thursday for a burger.

I'm missing him so bad right now, I've teared-up. I know what it's like to never erase a message on your answering machine. You just want to hear your friend's voice sometimes.

I didn't expect to feel this way tonight.
Hugeee hugs to you! I'm so sorry for your loss! Isn't it odd how weird things trigger such amazing memories? Don't be sad. What you described sounds like a beautiful memory! When we remember our loved ones they are with us. 💜

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Here's a video featuring the CEO of Bode labs talking about the test results in 2008 and coming to the same conclusions Mary Lacy did. I found it very interesting. It was almost like an infomercial for touch DNA.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XheR6IOg8VU

So did this CEO not understand his own lab's results or what? His conclusions are very different from what experts came up with 8 years later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here's a video featuring the CEO of Bode labs talking about the test results in 2008 and coming to the same conclusions Mary Lacy did. I found it very interesting. It was almost like an infomercial for touch DNA.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XheR6IOg8VU

So did this CEO not understand his own lab's results or what? His conclusions are very different from what experts came up with 8 years later.

He's the front-office man. Probably never read a lab report in his life.

Glad to hear they're doing more DNA testing. Also have to admit this is the first I've heard about the "butt print" in the carpet. I wonder if there's a photograph of that.

Tortoise posted screenies in the other thread. no butt print :)

attachment.php

The most disturbing part of that story is this paragraph...

And the Camera and 9NEWs found that Lacy was told of the results' ambiguities before she issued her controversial letter on July 9, 2008, clearing JonBenet's parents, John and Patsy, and her brother Burke of any suspicion in her murder.

Why do we keep seeing deliberate efforts from the DAs office to mislead the public and to avoid seeking justice for JBR???

Tortoise posted screenies in the other thread. no butt print :)

attachment.php

Yeah, I was trying to see where she could have possibly seen that, and I still can't find it -- there is no way she could have seen it on the area rug on the wooden floor.

My family went on vacation to Colorado every year starting in 1992. I would take my nieces to pearl street mall and shop. We would get hair wraps. Not sure of year but believe 1996 I took everyone to Boulder. We went to Pearl street mall for hair wraps. We waited our turn while a girl got a hair wrap. She kept fainting and her Mom yelled ar her don't do this to me. Positive her Mom called her Jon Benet. The girl looked strikingly older than her size. Her Mom took her to the curb and a dark haired man picked them up in a truck. She said she was taking her to a hospital. I contacted security to see if they could check on her. Something wasn't right. Bothered me ever since.

What's a hair wrap?

JonBenet did not look strikingly older than her size. She looked like a normal little 6 year old girl. Put it out of your mind.

She definitely looked like a normal six year old girl, that is except for the times her mother chose to make her into miniature beauty queen Patsy. JMO

Wow, thanks. I guess this juror speaking out with either make or break the "grand jury thought BDI" theory.

Wow ! It's getting interesting .....please let there be some form of justice for JonBenet ....at the very least , let the truth come out.!

I'm not allowing myself to get excited about the 20/20 show. If they had something big, wouldn't they be hyping it for more than 1 day?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hiyaworld
Back