BREAKING: NY - James Burke, ex-police chief of Suffolk County, arrested for soliciting a male undercover officer, 22 Aug 2023

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I don't see how it can. HR wasn't on LE's radar until 2022. Burke was hindering the investigation. He was not misleading it or misdirecting blame to other individuals. He simply was just not letting the investigators...investigate. He knew his own skeletons would come flying out of the closet like tupperware! MOO

BBM

That was always my thought, too. But, after hearing some legal chatter... I wonder how a defense team may utilize this to their advantage.

I'm thinking about this a little more and I've always assumed Burke was a sociopath who didn't want any agencies he couldn't control digging around in the sex trade and subcultures that surround it on LI because his participation in that underworld would likely be discovered- but I ruled him out as LISK: too risky, too far-fetched.

But this latest arrest?

This tells us he's got compulsions around transgression and taboos (I don't want to say *deviance* because gay/queer sex isn't deviant). He could have easily hooked up on an app or in a bar, but that probably wouldn't have delivered the same thrill for him, too vanilla. I'm starting to finally believe that his sociopathy and thrill-seeking could include murder, and I'm back thinking about the asian person listed as male, but dressed in women's clothing, and Sugar Bear again.

I REALLY would like to know what type of "deviant pr0n" was in that bag of his that was stolen consisted of, and whether there were real or simulated acts of violence or torture. If there were, I super hope the task force is taking another look at him with fresh eyes too.

Yeah, it might be a fetish to cruise in the park old school vs. on Grinder which leaves a digital trail, but maybe he is guilty of something far more sinister.
Remember Shannon Gilbert was afraid of the COPS and ran instead of getting into the car? Maybe she knew he was corrupt. I bet they crossed paths.

I was thinking yesterday when this news broke…I wonder exactly why Spota took him under his wing at such a young age and groomed him to be a top-ranking officer. Made me wonder if he was grooming him in a different way too… Burke was only about 14 or 15 when Spota came into his life in a big way.

I had no idea the two of them traveled to Asian countries together. This wreaks of something shady.

oh boy...

Attorney speaks about latest arrest of JBurke having impact on RH's arrest. (Which is the 2nd time I've heard mention of this possibility)

I agree with the attorneys that this will be exploited by the defense. There is a "fruit of a poison tree," argument.

the thing is, the problem existed before Burke was arrested again. His being arrested and more sunlight and air on the cover-up and obstruction are better than ignoring it. We cant go back in time and undo Burke.

i also think the evidence directly about Rex appears too damning. If his cell phone, his burner phones, and his credit cards all travel together...and the trail is to where murders happen, I can't see the jury coming to any conclusion but that there may be another person(s) ALSO responsible. I don't see them concluding that Rex is not responsible. Same goes for the hairs. Maybe some salt-n-pepper was removed from the scene. But the red and brown were left.

if there was a cover up, clearly Rex did not benefit from it. but Just because his trail was not covered by Burke and someone else's was, doesn't mean he should not be held responsibl.

MOO

Yeah, it might be a fetish to cruise in the park old school vs. on Grinder which leaves a digital trail, but maybe he is guilty of something far more sinister.
Remember Shannon Gilbert was afraid of the COPS and ran instead of getting into the car? Maybe she knew he was corrupt. I bet they crossed paths.
I don't recall Shannan being afraid of the cops.

She was afraid enough to actually call the cops.

MOO

Sorry, you are correct. She was running from someone at the house and then didn't trust her driver correct?
It's been a long day.
You are right!
She got spooked when the John wanted to "all" leave together: Shannan, the driver, who was weirdly calling Shannan Shannan instead of her stage name, and the John. Shannan wanted to go home, but they seemed to have other plans.

then Pak followed her for a while through the neighborhood. Maybe other(s) followed, too. We don't know.

then Pak, brewer and hackett lied, lied and lied.

As for Shannan, who knows? Apparently she was so inebriated she could hardly walk, but was able to fight her way through terrain too difficult for dogs. In that state, she also managed to remove tight jeans. She abandoned her phone with the pants, so she wasn't able to continue to call for help as she did for 22 minutes. She had a special kind of bipolar disorder that made her psychotic...even though psychosis is not seen in bipolar disorder. Then she drowned in a ditch and proceeded to hoist her dead body onto to a bush quite close to the road. Or...

...she was murdered.

MOO

I agree with the attorneys that this will be exploited by the defense. There is a "fruit of a poison tree," argument.

the thing is, the problem existed before Burke was arrested again. His being arrested and more sunlight and air on the cover-up and obstruction are better than ignoring it. We cant go back in time and undo Burke.

i also think the evidence directly about Rex appears too damning. If his cell phone, his burner phones, and his credit cards all travel together...and the trail is to where murders happen, I can't see the jury coming to any conclusion but that there may be another person(s) ALSO responsible. I don't see them concluding that Rex is not responsible. Same goes for the hairs. Maybe some salt-n-pepper was removed from the scene. But the red and brown were left.

if there was a cover up, clearly Rex did not benefit from it. but Just because his trail was not covered by Burke and someone else's was, doesn't mean he should not be held responsibl.

MOO
And this goes back to that interesting word/phrase in the bail document, “conspiracy” to commit. And how we learned the legal use of that word, implies that it takes more than one person to equal a conspiracy.

She got spooked when the John wanted to "all" leave together: Shannan, the driver, who was weirdly calling Shannan Shannan instead of her stage name, and the John. Shannan wanted to go home, but they seemed to have other plans.

then Pak followed her for a while through the neighborhood. Maybe other(s) followed, too. We don't know.

As for Shannan, who knows? Apparently she was so inebriated she could hardly walk, but was able to fight her way through terrain too difficult for dogs. In that state, she also managed to remove tight jeans. She abandoned her phone with the pants, so she wasn't able to continue to call for help as she did for 22 minutes. She had a special kind of bipolar disorder that made her psychotic...even though psychosis is not seen in bipolar disorder. Then she drowned in a ditch and proceeded to hoist her dead body onto to a bush quite close to the road. Or...

...she was murdered.

MOO
BBM
Yep!!!

...she was murdered.

MOO
Hi not sure if someone responded already here but I work in in-patient psych and Bipolar Disorder with Psychotic features is a diagnosis. Psychosis is most often seen with individuals who have manic episodes as opposed to more depressive episodes. Mania can lead to a level of grandiosity and delusional thinking and sometimes hallucinations as well, that would be considered "psychotic features."

Hi not sure if someone responded already here but I work in in-patient psych and Bipolar Disorder with Psychotic features is a diagnosis. Psychosis is most often seen with individuals who have manic episodes as opposed to more depressive episodes. Mania can lead to a level of grandiosity and delusional thinking and sometimes hallucinations as well, that would be considered "psychotic features."
But- the public information is that Shannan had bipolar, period. Not bipolar with psychosis.

In addition, nothing seems psychotic in the 911 tape. And if she had seemed psychotic, it still wouldn't explain Brewer and Pak's bizarre behaviors like trying to all leave together, not commenting when she made a blood-curdling scream (as they would if they did not no why she screamed), not calling 911 themselves, etc.

So it is irrelevant. But people keep bringing up her intoxication and alleged mental illness as if intoxicated or mentally ill people are by definition not murder victims.

MOO

Former Suffolk District Attorney #TomSpota loses appeal to toss conviction for obstruction of justice. Spota, 81, doing 5 years in prison, convicted of covering up suspect’s beating by former Chief Burke

Why the court upheld Spota, McPartland Convictions​

“Because we conclude that the district court did not abuse its discretion in admitting the evidence of the officers’ fear of retaliation, that any error in admitting the evidence relating to Burke was harmless, and that Spota and McPartland’s other arguments are without merit, we affirm the judgment of the district court,” the judges wrote in their ruling. The pair had argued that the court had improperly admitted that evidence of officers’ fear of retaliation, labeling it as “irrelevant and inflammatory.”

Last edited:
I've been meaning to tag @hawkshaw on this thought, but my guess is that Brookhaven Rangers or others already had more than "community complaints" about Bald Hill. That kinda thing has been going on there forever. Bald Hill, Exit 52 P&R, etc. Brookhaven Town takes action with plainclothes officers and in mere minutes grabs one of the most notorious local names??? I'm guessing his name, license plate, or some other identifier had already been subject of a complaint. The icing on this theory's cake came after seeing the enthusiasm of the uniformed Brookhaven Sergeant at the press conference to jump in and let the public know that he was soliciting a male. He was gleeful.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob84999381
Back