Breastfeeding at 8 - OMG!!!

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
i can't wait for those girls to grow up and realize what their mom has done and tell her how much they HATE HER GUTS for humiliating them for all the world to see. so much for 'attachment parenting'.....!!

i mean,, HELLO... isn't their any other way to give your kids comfort and a feeling of security.....???? or is it just all about the *advertiser censored*?

did i hear her right..... she said 'i told them,, when they're out of the house, out in the cold, hard world, that's it! no more!!' soooooo.... that means they're gonna be breastfeeding til they're 18,, then.....?? LOLOL

I don't think it is all about momma here tho. I think she honestly believes she is raising her children the right way in line with her belief system of motherhood. I know my friend doesn't have an unusual religion, moral belief system, or buck other social norms. She actually is very reserved and a classy, professional woman. She just happened to believe she was doing the best thing for HER child and did not push it off on anyone else. While I did state my opinions on it, I did have to respect her right to raise her son any way she chose as long as there was no abuse going on...which I know there was not. She was doing it out of love and concern.

luzer... why did she want protection from birth control.....? ;)

lactation amenorrhea method... breastfeeding exclusively to delay ovulation. this is actually a somewhat effective method of BC. but once you start introducing other foods, or supplementing bottles, all bets are off. you have to be breastfeeding frequently for it to work (its a feedback thing). upon the introduction of foods / supplements or skipped feedings, the body usually starts to ovulate and the period will often return.

There are certain things we do for our children when they are infants. We feed them, diaper them, carry them, etc. Part of the job of a parent is to get children to the point where they can do things for themselves. I think it is just as ridiculous to be breastfeeding an eight year old as it would be to still be putting diapers on them or carrying them everywhere.

But I don't consider this 7 year old breast-feeding much different from a 7-year-old who sucks her thumb for comfort from time to time. It's just comfort and habit. I don't know why the video was made - maybe in connection with a pro-breastfeeding thing.

I think it's unusual in our culture, but I don't think it's inherently harmful.

But what about the adults who still suck their thumb? Would you consider it inherently harmful for adult children to still breastfeed?

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2htt....shtml005/10/06/health/webmd/main921083.shtml

It's just a very comforting and calm feeling," Boyes says. "Nothing else I've ever done or experienced can give me that same feeling."

http://www.thumbsuckingadults.com/

BTW scm, I'm not trying to debate you. I find your posts some of the most interesting ones here on WS.

The idea of breastfeeding a 7 or 8 year old does make me go EEWWW, but I firmly believe it's a cultural bias that makes me react like that and nothing else. I really don't think this woman is sick or twisted, or that her children are abused or will end up maladjusted either. Breastfeeding is a good and natural thing, and prolonged breastfeeding for comfort isn't really a big deal. At 7 or 8 years old, it doesn't seem unusual for some children to need an extra level of comfort or emotional support and if breastfeeding does it for them, so what? The fact that this ended up on YouTube doesn't mean the mom placed it there. It sounded to me like it was from some sort of documentary.

I think we as a society are very squeamish about breastfeeding. I also think we value independence so highly, that the thought of keeping our children dependent, especially in such a physical manner, really repulses us.

I think she honestly believes she is raising her children the right way in line with her belief system of motherhood. ........

I did have to respect her right to raise her son any way she chose as long as there was no abuse going on...which I know there was not. She was doing it out of love and concern.

I think you are hitting a very important nail here SS.

slightly off topic here ....

I have a concern that has been growing in me for the last few weeks about how we, as women, treat other women. Especially in the areas of family and children. Seems to me there is a rush to judgement on our part (collectively as mainstream women) rather than a rush to understand. Understanding is KEY in giving ANY kind of constructive help or counsel. Am I the only one who has had that thought?

The idea of breastfeeding a 7 or 8 year old does make me go EEWWW, but I firmly believe it's a cultural bias that makes me react like that and nothing else. I really don't think this woman is sick or twisted, or that her children are abused or will end up maladjusted either. Breastfeeding is a good and natural thing, and prolonged breastfeeding for comfort isn't really a big deal. At 7 or 8 years old, it doesn't seem unusual for some children to need an extra level of comfort or emotional support and if breastfeeding does it for them, so what? The fact that this ended up on YouTube doesn't mean the mom placed it there. It sounded to me like it was from some sort of documentary.

I think we as a society are very squeamish about breastfeeding. I also think we value independence so highly, that the thought of keeping our children dependent, especially in such a physical manner, really repulses us.

Hi natasha,

I admire the way that you, as well as myself and others on this thread are attempting to look at WHY it bothers us. Your post was very clear and honest and I think you give us all something to consider.

thanks

Hi natasha,

I admire the way that you, as well as myself and others on this thread are attempting to look at WHY it bothers us. Your post was very clear and honest and I think you give us all something to consider.

thanks
Hi to you too, Glow. This is definitely a thought provoking subject!

Glow, SCM and others, thanks for making us look at the subject from all sides. It's a touchy subject, for sure. I get stubbornness on my dad's side and don't always look at things from all angles. It's a good exercise of the mind, to challenge ones comfort zone.

:blowkiss:
Peace.

I think what bothers me is they seem to be preoccupied with the breast. The pictures, the names,the constant groping that's what is bothering me.

Glow, SCM and others, thanks for making us look at the subject from all sides. It's a touchy subject, for sure. I get stubbornness on my dad's side and don't always look at things from all angles. It's a good exercise of the mind, to challenge ones comfort zone.

:blowkiss:
Peace.

thanks back Yeah! I dont think this thread would have been provacative enough to make any of us keep checking back if it werent for EACH one who posted here. I love to hear ideas that are different than my own. What you mentioned above reminds me of something I used to have as my siggy line here last year...

You can judge your age by the amount of pain you feel when you come in contact with a new idea.
~ Pearl S. Buck

if that is true then I want to stay "Forever Young" :)

I think what bothers me is they seem to be preoccupied with the breast. The pictures, the names,the constant groping that's what is bothering me.

That is the one of the things that bothered me too.

Yes! And it won't be too long before they themselves, start budding. It might make for a skewed self image during puberty.

The breastfeeding seems to be a driving force in their lives and that is the most unnatural thing about it. I mean the girls requesting the mother letting her breasts go free by going braless and disliking the bra in general really got my attention.

Sometimes what we are most determined about really has to do with our own "issues". I do wonder what makes this mom pick this ONE thing to focus on so closely.

Perhaps it is all much more casual in their everyday life and they focused on it more for the documentary?

I dont know? :confused:

I think you are hitting a very important nail here SS.

slightly off topic here ....

I have a concern that has been growing in me for the last few weeks about how we, as women, treat other women. Especially in the areas of family and children. Seems to me there is a rush to judgement on our part (collectively as mainstream women) rather than a rush to understand. Understanding is KEY in giving ANY kind of constructive help or counsel. Am I the only one who has had that thought?

Glow, may I ask you a question?

In the FLDS threads, you defended the fact that an eight-year-old girl was forcibly married, and then forcibly married again at age twelve to the sixty-five-year-old creep who murdered her first *husband*.

Now... are you saying that a girl-child who is still being breastfed is ready to be married off?

Understanding is key. Help me understand here. I believe every woman has the right to decide what to do with her own body, and that every child has the right to be completely emancipated as an adult in her own right, without her parents deciding her fate for her.

What do you think about women's rights to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness?

TIA.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Henry Cooper
Back