Brendan Dassey's Habeas Corpus Petition Granted

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Do we know at all if she was allowed on the crime scene of the other woman that was found shot around the same time? That would be telling...

I'm not sure how we could find out if she was at the scene, but according to this article, it indicates she was involved in some capacity if she is commenting on it IMO

http://www.htrnews.com/story/news/local/2014/06/08/drug-death-a-painful-memory/10177139/

Boutwell died on Nov. 3, 2005, of a methadone overdose. Alcohol was contributing factor, according to the Manitowoc County Coroner’s office.

If Zellner took this case there's proof. And she has it. You can say you don't think SA is innocent, but what are the stakes, for you personally, if your wrong?
Would you bet your LIFE? Your entire hard earned career and reputation?
Does anyone really believe Kathleen Zellner would risk everything she has going for her, based on a *guess*? A *Hunch*?
I think not.

As a fan of Zellner & her past work, I trust her thoroughness, and believe she will do her best for SA, as she does for all her clients. I support the full testing of all evidence for anyone charged with murder, always have, always will, no exceptions, yes even for appeal purposes.

As for the assertion KZ has it (the proof), I'm waiting my turn to see it.

There are no personal stakes for anyone on this board in SA's case (or any other case that doesn't involve any of us personally). It's a case most of us were probably unaware of until MaM came out.

My belief, after reading trial transcripts, is there was evidence pointing to TH being killed on Oct 31st after she arrived at the Avery Salvage Yard for the appointment. If SA's blood in the Rav was planted, if TH's cremains were planted, and the other assertions, then whoever did that should be thrown in prison for life (IMO).

Facebook post by S. Drizin which includes a link to a press conference that Buting and Strang held a few weeks ago. Strang said if he was the lawyer for BD, he would be pretty happy to defend Judge Duffin's decision if/when the State appeals. I also like his description of the decision as a very well written, careful, restrained, thoughtful opinion that is factually dense and cited for every factual assertion.

Steven Drizin
3 hrs ·
[video=youtube;7A9g69MwwkM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7A9g69MwwkM[/video] This is one of the best interviews of Dean Strang and Jerry Buting. It's a fascinating interview. I especially appreciate the way in which these two seasoned lawyers discuss Judge Duffin's "careful, restrained, factually dense" and well-reasoned opinion in the Dassey case. What I appreciate the most, however, is the way they describe the often hidden work of post-conviction lawyers who investigate, develop and add new "facts" to what is an often incomplete record, and then weave those facts into a compelling narrative. It's nice to get props from them, but even nicer to see them shine a light on the critical and difficult work of post-conviction lawyers. Thanks for using your newfound fame as a "teachable moment."

Italica & Bold by me.
Well of course there is no "concrete evidence" because nobody looked for any. But no one knows where TH was killed, or how. (except her killer, of course). Do you know? All I can go off is the evidence presented at Trial. I would have voted to convict Avery as the evidence points to him committing the crime.
If you can't prove where she was killed and how she was killed, how can you be so certain you know who killed her? Her cremains were found on his property, a bullet was found in his garage with her DNA and his blood & DNA was found in her RAV4. He nearly got away with the perfect crime, but unfortunately, as I have said previously, left a few clues and loose ends. Not least his Nephew.

A lot of top notch professionals believe, (obviously), someone other than SA killed her. How do you explain that? They have an opinion just as I do. We clearly do not agree, but if this was a set up, there were so many people needing to be involved that at some point, something would have gotten out.( Are they all just not seeing this case with your level of sophistication?) Here's what Steve Moore had to say after learning about the various places TH burned remains were located:

bbm

"INVESTIGATOR'S NOTES:

Scott Tadych had access to BB2
Tadych and his girlfriend's son Bobby Dassey (who live in the same house) go hunting at the same time on the same day, and don't go together?
Tadych and Bobby Dassey are each others' alibi witnesses?
Start looking at Scott Tadych.

HOW THE NEEDLE HAS MOVED

Ultimately, I now think that while Steven Avery remains a suspect, I wouldn't put him at or near the top of my list
I still want to know how Ryan Hillegas was able to hack into Teresa Halbach's voicemail. It smacks of an obsessed boyfriend who could not let go of a girlfriend who broke up with him. What better way for a stalker to monitor his victim then to be able to see who's calling her and listen to every voicemail left for her? That would be 'stalker gold.' Possibly. Or he knew her passcode and was keen to help in the search for her. Her mailbox got full, and he could help. I do not know the relationship, but it would appear amicable, unlike as portrayed on MaM which just, (as it did with other parts of the tale,) just leave it hanging for people to jump to conclusions.

Another suspect high on the list (besides Hillegas or Bloedorn) is the person who was obsessively calling Halbach. Obviously, the film-makers are holding that information for a more dramatic reveal. I wonder if it's Hillegas. Or was it Avery? Who knows.

And now, finally, I have to add two names to the list of potential suspects: Scott Tadych and Bobby Dassey. I'm not accusing them, but neither am I sure that either one were properly investigated by either Manitowoc or Calumet County Sheriff's Offices. Frankly, I'm beginning to think that nobody was properly investigated in this case.
So if one of the other 'suspects' who were not investigated fully did this, then who put Avery's blood in the RAV4? Who put his DNA on the hood latch? Who put a bullet, from the gun kept above his bed, in the garage with Teresa's DNA on it? BTW, as a convicted felon, he was not allowed to have that gun. (Please remember that six of the 18 years he was supposed to have been innocently serving were for threats with a gun, something that MaM glosses right over. )

And that last bolded stament is the crux of the problem, imo.
http://www.gmancasefile.com/moore-to-the-story.html

Now I am off to investigate Peter Sutcliffe! ( I have heard of the Yorkshire Ripper, but have not not done a *Deep Dive*).

That's an interesting, if rather black & white, perspective. Very, very few people believe Brendan is guilty, but those that do appear to have a very limited view of the the complexities, and see only black n white, ie: 'there is evidence or there is not'. imo.

And yes, there does seem to have been, " quite a few people involved, and things certainly have, "Gotten out".

One of those *things* will be Brendan Dassey.

There was never any proof that the bullet came from the gun in SA's room. Only that it was from 22! ( which Bobby dassey also owned along with a gazillion other people in that area. This and other myths concerning, "evidence left out", ( I wish I never had to hear that phrase again oy!). Adressed here:
http://www.rollingstone.com/tv/news...erys-lawyer-on-the-evidence-left-out-20160115

KZ has asked for item FL (fragment that was reported to have TH's DNA) and the unspent shells from SA's bedroom to do further testing.

That can be found here in the Motion for testing.

@Missy,
Great video, you posted up thread, I'd link to it again, but I'm on my cell and limited in my time this morning (Buting & Strang), I wish more people would watch it, maybe even a couple times! I love that the focus is not on, Guilt or innocence in this case, but how can we move toward reforms that will make the justice system more "just", especially for those who lack the money and/or the intellect to even get a decent shot at justice in our current system.

I was surprised I didn't see it earlier Safeguard LOL

I do love that they are using the spotlight to bring these issues to light.

KZ has asked for item FL (fragment that was reported to have TH's DNA) and the unspent shells from SA's bedroom to do further testing.

That can be found here in the Motion for testing.
Good! Everything should be tested or at least as much as they can.

I was surprised I didn't see it earlier Safeguard LOL

I do love that they are using the spotlight to bring these issues to light.

Yeah. I did see it earlier. But then again, I've seen almost everything being gone over in these threads earlier too, ( with exception of some of the the recent happy developments!), some things, in the re-hash, are better than others, and that video was one. :)

This post
This is something I can absolutely agree with you on, I think😉

http://www.theindianalawyer.com/isba-panel-says-a-confession-is-not-always-true/PARAMS/article/41624

Police interrogation techniques and their consequences were examined at a special continuing legal education seminar Sept. 29 during the Indiana State Bar Association’s annual meeting in Indianapolis.

Drizin spoke, along with others. I thought it was interesting that in another case, the lawyer literally had to receive an envelope with a recording of someone else confessing to the murder before her client to have a successful petition for post-conviction relief.

Also during the ISBA general meeting, Buting spoke.

http://www.theindianalawyer.com/mak...ey-speaks-at-isba-dinner/PARAMS/article/41629

Drizin and Nirider (BD's lawyers) actually use his interviews and his case while teaching, not only at the University, but also as a continuing education tool for lawyers, IIRC, they have been for years. I remember reading an article once that at the beginning of the school year, they get fresh eyes looking at the case, and it renews their own enthusiasm. Now, thinking about it.... how crazy is it that they use BD's interviews and case as a tool in teaching "false confessions" and yet, BD is still in prison??? Something just doesn't seem right about that. *sigh*

Last week the State filed a Motion to Supplement the Record, they wanted to add the other interrogation tapes/transcripts from Feb 27th, and Kayla's written statement from March 7th. BD's lawyers responded, NOT objecting to the transcripts/video's, but objected to Kayla's written statement because it was AFTER March 1st, which is the date that BD was interviewed and that is the tape that was used during the trial.

There are documents out there that show these, but I have to get to work and can't look for them, I will later when I get home ;-)

Anyway.... Judge Duffin has ruled on it already.... and he has DENIED the States Motion.... and IMO it's another spanking to the State lol

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2ojt3k4a2ag6a90/Motion to Supplement denied.pdf?dl=0

A few excerpts:

The respondent has made no effort to show that the relevant exhibits were omitted due to error or accident, as required under Rule 10(e). The decision to initially omit the subject exhibits from the record may have been a conscious, strategic choice on the part of the respondent.

Accepting for present purposes that the court has the inherent authority to expand the appellate record to include matters not presented to the district court, the court is not persuaded that doing so here furthers the interests of justice. The respondent having made no effort to show that the exhibits were omitted due to error or accident (or offer any other explanation as to why they were omitted), the court presumes that the omission was due to a conscious choice the respondent now regrets

Last week the State filed a Motion to Supplement the Record, they wanted to add the other interrogation tapes/transcripts from Feb 27th, and Kayla's written statement from March 7th. BD's lawyers responded, NOT objecting to the transcripts/video's, but objected to Kayla's written statement because it was AFTER March 1st, which is the date that BD was interviewed and that is the tape that was used during the trial.

There are documents out there that show these, but I have to get to work and can't look for them, I will later when I get home ;-)

Anyway.... Judge Duffin has ruled on it already.... and he has DENIED the States Motion.... and IMO it's another spanking to the State lol

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2ojt3k4a2ag6a90/Motion to Supplement denied.pdf?dl=0

A few excerpts:

The respondent has made no effort to show that the relevant exhibits were omitted due to error or accident, as required under Rule 10(e). The decision to initially omit the subject exhibits from the record may have been a conscious, strategic choice on the part of the respondent.

Accepting for present purposes that the court has the inherent authority to expand the appellate record to include matters not presented to the district court, the court is not persuaded that doing so here furthers the interests of justice. The respondent having made no effort to show that the exhibits were omitted due to error or accident (or offer any other explanation as to why they were omitted), the court presumes that the omission was due to a conscious choice the respondent now regrets

Hi there Missy & thanks a bunch for always keeping us up to speed with the facts of this case:yourock::loveyou:
IMO, I believe the respondent consciously regrets COERCING BD's confession, and the court made a fair & accurate call here.

Hi there Missy & thanks a bunch for always keeping us up to speed with the facts of this case:yourock::loveyou:
IMO, I believe the respondent consciously regrets COERCING BD's confession, and the court made a fair & accurate call here.

I agree, Missy keeps us all well informed. Big Thanks from me too Missy i come here to check daily for any updates, :heart:

No problem guys! I'm addicted to this case and check daily to see if there are any updates on the files. I will be pretty busy for the next 6-8 weeks, but should be able to check in still :) I'm considering taking one of my old laptops to work LOL (I'm self employed, I can do what I want :scared: lol)

I'm going to see if I can find the other documents and read Duffin's decision again, I think I only had 1 eye open still this morning when I read it LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member