Brooke Bennett, 12 years old Randolph VT #21

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I very much appreciate the link given for this interview. I listened to the interview in full. This was an excellent chance to see just what the thinking by the gov in Vermont. The tap dancing was spectacular, some of the best I've ever experienced. To summarize what I thought he had to say quickly, those who are targeted by these POSs should be careful. It is important that we realize they are out there and to take common sense care to protect our children. Jessica's law seems a bit harsh and the POSs will be afraid to confess making the prosecutors job harder to get a conviction. Talked about MJ and how he would have been treated under Vermont's new tougher laws they have today than when he was prosecuted for the kidnapping and sexual assault of a 18 year old. It sounds like he might have gotten another 2 years or so but nothing is mandatory. The Atny Gen pointed out that this was a case involving an 18 year old, and not a child. Lots of $ and time out there being used to coax the offender to confess since it is so hard to get a conviction when the child is unable, unwilling, to testify. He also mentions how hard it is when the child isn't able to sound convincing. If this guy has his way you will not see Jessica's law in Vermont. He glosses over DNA and other possible evidence in favor of the child's quality of telling their story on the stand.

Again, do not expect there to be any change here unless it is to do some cosmetic changes that will be aimed at making the taxpayer feel better. I'd be interested in some feed back.

Until lawmarkers realize that SOs only become RSO s once they are caught and they will reoffend... there will never be change. they will dress it up but it will never be enough .
Mandatory sentences and GPS tracking are the only ways to deal with them short of the DP. Obviously Vermont thinks otherwise and its not working out real well for them.
Thirty three states say Jessie's Law will work.... the other 17 are either considering something close or are in denial.

GPS would not have hindered MJ, AR was at his disposal,he should not have been allowed to live in a house that had children present. Denise should have had to have psychiatric counseling when she helped with the early release.

GPS would not have hindered MJ, AR was at his disposal,he should not have been allowed to live in a house that had children present. Denise should have had to have psychiatric counseling when she helped with the early release.
I know that, but not all of them live in the same house.... they should never be allowed around children ever. NO MATTER the reasons.

I very much appreciate the link given for this interview. I listened to the interview in full. This was an excellent chance to see just what the thinking by the gov in Vermont. The tap dancing was spectacular, some of the best I've ever experienced. To summarize what I thought he had to say quickly, those who are targeted by these POSs should be careful. It is important that we realize they are out there and to take common sense care to protect our children. Jessica's law seems a bit harsh and the POSs will be afraid to confess making the prosecutors job harder to get a conviction. Talked about MJ and how he would have been treated under Vermont's new tougher laws they have today than when he was prosecuted for the kidnapping and sexual assault of a 18 year old. It sounds like he might have gotten another 2 years or so but nothing is mandatory. The Atny Gen pointed out that this was a case involving an 18 year old, and not a child. Lots of $ and time out there being used to coax the offender to confess since it is so hard to get a conviction when the child is unable, unwilling, to testify. He also mentions how hard it is when the child isn't able to sound convincing. If this guy has his way you will not see Jessica's law in Vermont. He glosses over DNA and other possible evidence in favor of the child's quality of telling their story on the stand.

Again, do not expect there to be any change here unless it is to do some cosmetic changes that will be aimed at making the taxpayer feel better. I'd be interested in some feed back.

Supi, thank you so much for taking the time to listen to our Attorney General. It is nice to hear from someone outside Vermont say that Bill Sorrell is a great tap dancer!!

As a native Vermonter I have been watching him and other APPOINTED judicial officers, along with legislators tap dance for years. To bad the Lawrence Welk show is no longer on as they would be star performers...

I hope that individuals on WS will find it in their hearts to email our Governor and any other TAP DANCERS in Honor of Brooke Bennett for major changes in Vermont. Not only with our laws!!

Judge Davenport needs to be thrown of the bench now!!!! would be interesting to see her sentencing record on sex offenders!!

Supi, thank you so much for taking the time to listen to our Attorney General. It is nice to hear from someone outside Vermont say that Bill Sorrell is a great tap dancer!!

As a native Vermonter I have been watching him and other APPOINTED judicial officers, along with legislators tap dance for years. To bad the Lawrence Welk show is no longer on as they would be star performers...

I hope that individuals on WS will find it in their hearts to email our Governor and any other TAP DANCERS in Honor of Brooke Bennett for major changes in Vermont. Not only with our laws!!

Judge Davenport needs to be thrown of the bench now!!!! would be interesting to see her sentencing record on sex offenders!!

Are you saying the Govenor appoints these people?

Thank you for posting that... I want to sit and read it when I'm not dividing my attention .

Thank you for posting that... I want to sit and read it when I'm not dividing my attention .

Pages 149 and 150 provide statistics on BOTH Facility based and "COMMUNITY BASED" sex offender treatment programs....

First I knew that VT DOC sex offender treatment programs are being provided in the community. Hmmmmm what are the qualifications of these "community based" sex offender treatment providers ?? Who pays for the offender to recieve treatment? what is the cost to taxpayers??

Bullet is much cheaper, Rope and a tree cheaper yet!!!

According to the broadcast at VPR...Attorney General Bill Sorrell stated that Vermont Judges are appointed. I beleive a 'Committee" makes recommendations to the Governor...
So the good honorable Governor Appoints these people to sit on the bench? The people elect him correct? The people elect the state legislature correct?? See where I'm going with this?
The good people of Vermont must make some changes starting with those duly elected officials that are having problems passing laws with teeth.
Like I said last night I sometimes think they should go to jail too... maybe then they would see what these RSOs are really like.
What is the outcry in Vermont , do the people want change? Not what is reported in the media but people on the street, friends, family etc.

I brought this up once before and was told that I was wrong. I have looked at the affidavit (again) and the address at the top of the affidavit is 1850,with in the affidavit the address is 1820. As before I am curious if the machine was delivered to the home they live in,or the rental house. Does anyone know if the rental home is occupied.

Pages 149 and 150 provide statistics on BOTH Facility based and "COMMUNITY BASED" sex offender treatment programs....

First I knew that VT DOC sex offender treatment programs are being provided in the community. Hmmmmm what are the qualifications of these "community based" sex offender treatment providers ?? Who pays for the offender to recieve treatment? what is the cost to taxpayers??

Is that like AA for Sex Offenders? They sit in a church meeting room and hold hands and pray? Nothing against AA , but to have the same program for a SO is nothing short of STUPID.

http://doc.vermont.gov/programs/vtpsa/

Aftercare Community Programs. (Level A or B) This program provides treatment to sex offenders sentenced to probation as well as to offenders returning to the community from prison on supervised release. This program is made up of a statewide network of 13 programs geographically dispersed throughout Vermont. The program delivers one 90 to 120 minute group session per week for approximately 24 months followed by monthly aftercare meetings for 12 months. The program is staffed by masters and doctoral level mental health professionals. A polygrapher is contracted part-time to conduct approximately 165 polygraph exams a year on sex offenders referred to him by DOC.

Aftercare Community Programs. (Level A or B) This program provides treatment to sex offenders sentenced to probation as well as to offenders returning to the community from prison on supervised release. This program is made up of a statewide network of 13 programs geographically dispersed throughout Vermont. The program delivers one 90 to 120 minute group session per week for approximately 24 months followed by monthly aftercare meetings for 12 months. The program is staffed by masters and doctoral level mental health professionals. A polygrapher is contracted part-time to conduct approximately 165 polygraph exams a year on sex offenders referred to him by DOC.

I don't get group sessions for these guys. Its like talking about your fantasies with other like minded people... if you didn't have the thought I just gave it to you.
165 polys a year on how many people ? I'd be giving them every week.... better yet they wouldn't need them where I'd have them.

Unbelievable. I would hate to see how much this all costs per year. I'm still hung up on the whole deeming RSOs that complete the program as "rehabilitated". :furious:

I don't get group sessions for these guys. Its like talking about your fantasies with other like minded people... if you didn't have the thought I just gave it to you. 165 polys a year on how many people ? I'd be giving them every week.... better yet they wouldn't need them where I'd have them.

No Kidding!! :behindbar

I don't get High Level Sex Offenders recieving 8 hours per week of sex offender treatment while incarcerated and the VT DOC designated them as SUCCESSFUL upon completion!!!

While I agree group therapy is overrated overall and that most of these treatment programs are more geared toward making the rehabilitation crowd happy rather than creating anything measurable in terms of results...to play devil's advocate...what do you want the government to do with sex offenders? Nothing?

I don't think all sex offenders are the same. Some of them...the violent predators, serial rapists, and pedophiles who have engaged in long term abuse of one or more children are not good candidates for rehab. But what about the rest of them?

What about the college rapist? Is he truly a lost cause and can't be made to see the harm he committed? What about those in prison for statutory rape?

my question ...what is ''the treatment'' what does ''the treatment'' consist of?

Unless they have mind readers, how do they know that these are rehabilitated. Because the shrink said so and because they passed a polygraph? Give me a break! Both can be BS'd! How do these people sleep at night?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SluethinAway