Bulgaria - Lars Mittank, 28, German tourist, Varna airport, 8 July 2014

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Thinking about how this UK student was missing for 11 years after going on vacation in Crete, his body was finally found at the bottom of a well.
Wondering now if there are many wells in Bulgaria, particularly near the areas where Lars was known to frequent? imo, speculation. fwiw.
Body of British student missing for 11 years found at bottom of well in Crete
"24 February 2017
Human remains found in a well in Crete belong to a British student who went missing more than 11 years ago, police have confirmed.

Steve Cook, 20, disappeared while holidaying in Malia with school friends in the Greek resort in September 2005.

The Liverpool FC fan, originally from Sandbach, Cheshire, was last seen in a bar asking for directions to his hotel but he walked off in the wrong direction.

JS121208732_Police-have-found-the-remains-of-the-body-in-a-well-near-a-cem_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqpVlberWd9EgFPZtcLiMQf0Rf_Wk3V23H2268P_XkPxc.jpg

The well where the remains of a body have been discovered in Malia, Crete Credit: Kostas Metaxakis/Athena Pictures"

Interesting thought, @dotr. I don't know Varna enough to know this. But I am glad this family got closure.

@yurena, if you are still here with us my love, do you know Varna at all? I wouldn't be confident enough to know about locations of wells.

Also, I guess, Lars isn't necessarily in Varna.

Last edited:
Interesting thought, @dotr. I don't know Varna enough to know this. But I am glad this family got closure.

@yurena, if you are still here with us my love, do you know Varna at all? I wouldn't be confident enough to know about locations of wells.

Also, I guess, Lars isn't necessarily in Varna.

@AnaPisces - I have been to Varna many times. I am a Burgas fan though. I have asked my former colleague Boryana via FB just now -she lives in Sofia but she's from Varna- and she believes there are not really wells in the city although there are many in the neighbouring towns surrounding it. She does think that considering the area Lars went missing, authorities should have checked more thoroughly in the water and in the area behind that wire wall he could be seen trying to jump in the video.

@AnaPisces - I have been to Varna many times. I am a Burgas fan though. I have asked my former colleague Boryana via FB just now -she lives in Sofia but she's from Varna- and she believes there are not really wells in the city although there are many in the neighbouring towns surrounding it. She does think that considering the area Lars went missing, authorities should have checked more thoroughly in the water and in the area behind that wire wall he could be seen trying to jump in the video.

Oh Yurena, thank you. I did not know if you were still visiting here. Glad to hear from you.

Thank you so much for that. I definitely eel like there could have been more done for Lars.

Just noting and bumping.
This missing couple from Poland were found apparently drowned.
Oct 1 2018
Missing Polish Tourist Couple found dead - DOKU-Gilde OOD
"Drama at 'Golden Sands'
Missing Polish Tourist Couple found dead
By Frank Peter Hoefling – September 28, 2014
VARNA, Bulgaria – Four weeks after their mysterious disappearance it is now certain: 22years old Joanna S. and 25years old Maksymilian M. are dead. The body of Joanna was found about 120 km south of the “Golden Sands” resort at September 17 and could be doubtless identified meanwhile. Her friend Maksymilian was recovered dead by fishermen 35 km westnorthwest of the “Golden Sands” some days before.

No Clues to Third-party Involvement
According to announcements made by police authorities both drowned when they went swimming in the Black Sea during the night. First investigations didn’t find any clues to third-party involvement. The initiators of the Facebook search site announced to switch off the site this Sunday. Joanna S. and Maksymilian M. went missing at the “Golden Sands” after visiting a discotheque in the night from September 6 to September 7. It was their first night at the Bulgarian holiday resort (DOKU-Gilde was reporting).

No Trace of Lars Mittank
In the case of the missing German tourist Lars Mittank (DOKU-Gilde was reporting here and here) still no trace is found. Mittank was last seen at Varna Airport on July 8."

Just noting and bumping.
This missing couple from Poland were found apparently drowned.
Oct 1 2018
Missing Polish Tourist Couple found dead - DOKU-Gilde OOD
"Drama at 'Golden Sands'
Missing Polish Tourist Couple found dead
By Frank Peter Hoefling – September 28, 2014
VARNA, Bulgaria – Four weeks after their mysterious disappearance it is now certain: 22years old Joanna S. and 25years old Maksymilian M. are dead. The body of Joanna was found about 120 km south of the “Golden Sands” resort at September 17 and could be doubtless identified meanwhile. Her friend Maksymilian was recovered dead by fishermen 35 km westnorthwest of the “Golden Sands” some days before.

No Clues to Third-party Involvement
According to announcements made by police authorities both drowned when they went swimming in the Black Sea during the night. First investigations didn’t find any clues to third-party involvement. The initiators of the Facebook search site announced to switch off the site this Sunday. Joanna S. and Maksymilian M. went missing at the “Golden Sands” after visiting a discotheque in the night from September 6 to September 7. It was their first night at the Bulgarian holiday resort (DOKU-Gilde was reporting).

No Trace of Lars Mittank
In the case of the missing German tourist Lars Mittank (DOKU-Gilde was reporting here and here) still no trace is found. Mittank was last seen at Varna Airport on July 8."

I mean, yeah, sure. Varna isn't the nicest of places and I could think of a million places I'd rather be, but, considering the area (party, drink etc) it wouldn't surprise me if they drowned after swimming in the night. People do some crazy stuff when intoxicated. But also, there are so many things to come out of Varna (and that area in general) that leave you with questions that this does exactly that... leaves me with a lot of questions. If I was their family, I wouldn't leave it at just that.

After learning of the recent murder of a Bulgarian journalist, wondering if Lars had any strong views or wrote about, perhaps even had a negative fb interaction with anyone from that country prior to his disappearance?
speculation, imo.
Bulgaria - TV journalist investigating corruption raped and murdered
European commission and Germany urge Bulgaria to find journalist's killers
Oct 8 2018
“Physical attacks and death threats against journalists by criminal groups are especially common in Bulgaria,” said Reporters Without Borders, which compiles the World Press Freedom index. In its 2018 survey, the group described corruption and collusion between media, politicians and oligarchs in Bulgaria as widespread.

Reporters Without Borders warned in 2017 about a suspected murder plot against a Bulgarian publisher, Georgi Ezekiev. Bulgarian journalists at Zov News and the Bivol website were investigating a drug-trafficking ring suspected of having links to police when they uncovered the alleged plan to murder Ezekiev, who publishes Zov News. One of the reporters involved in the investigation, Maria Dimitrova, received threatening messages by SMS and Facebook."

Warning post mortem picture in post!

Things are strange. Romanian guy visiting our country (The Netherlands) found dead a couple of hours after he landed on Schiphol. What is a scary country? Informatie gezocht over dode man begraafplaats. So sad, there is CTV footage of him walking through the airport en buying drinks at a well known supermarket in Haarlem...after that he disappeared and was killed.

Information wanted about dead man cemetery
Last update: 11-03-2017 | 19:10
Haarlem - The police would like to get in touch with people who know more about the deceased man who was found around 8:15 am on Wednesday morning at the cemetery at Kleverlaan in Haarlem.

Meanwhile, the identity of the man is known to the police. It is a 36-year-old man from Romania. His call sign is Dumitru and his last name is Sirbru. At this moment it is not known where the man stayed in the Netherlands. People who know this can call 0900-8844.

After a section on the body by the NFI, the police seriously consider a crime. The police would like to get in touch with people who know more about the life of Dumitru Sirbru. Where did he stay, with whom did he turn and who knows him or has recently seen him.

The police have decided to publish two photos of the victim.

Contact number for this case: 2017047989
Just saw this today and I was wondering if the local press has more to say about this. I know that it happened in 2017 but I don't know if the murderers were found. I have been reading about this in romanian newspapers and it sure is an interesting case. It would be great to have a thread about this case.

Just saw this today and I was wondering if the local press has more to say about this. I know that it happened in 2017 but I don't know if the murderers were found. I have been reading about this in romanian newspapers and it sure is an interesting case. It would be great to have a thread about this case.

Feel free to go ahead and start one, @Georgya. I will join you over there.

Welcome to Ws Georgya!
Another odd cctv..

I would gladly participate in the discutions, but as for starting the thread, I'm still new to this. I don't even know where this goes. Into cold cases, maybe? So if someone with more experience than me can start the thread, I would really apreciate it.

I would gladly participate in the discutions, but as for starting the thread, I'm still new to this. I don't even know where this goes. Into cold cases, maybe? So if someone with more experience than me can start the thread, I would really apreciate it.
Would have helped, but i cannot find any English links in order to post details in a thread.

As dotr said, are there any English articles? I can translate somewhat but as this site works in English we will need one. But, if we do have one, I'll be glad to help start it :)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay
Back