Burke Ramsey Files 750 Million Dollar Lawsuit Against CBS

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's a blast from the past courtesy of FFJ, just because I love pointing out what a hypocritical butthead LW is. He publicly accuses anyone who dares imply the Ramseys were implicated in JonBenet's murder of callously profiting off another family's tragedy (the fawning pro-Ram puff pieces JR solicits at every opportunity? Pure charity on the parts of Michael Tracey and Barbara Walters). But it's no secret that privately he is less sentimental about the prospect of notoriously callous people (i.e. Lin Wood) collecting "blood money" as he likes to call it.
I was intrigued to say the least. As we continued our email discussion Mac told me Lin Wood had already threatened him if he went forward with his book. To quote Wood's exact words from an email he sent Mac, "publish your accusatory book and I
will buy another Jaguar and thoroughbred race horse with the proceeds from
another legal victory for the Ramseys."
Just another one to throw on the pile of times he's made similar comments. But I like that he threw in the Jaguar and racehorse - always keeping it klassy!

http://www.forumsforjustice.org/forums/showthread.php?3773-New-Book-on-JonBenet-Ramsey

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And lest we forget:

1 "MR. WOOD: Hey, I made more money
2 handling the Ramsey case than you've made in
3 your whole damn career practicing law, Darnay.

4 MR. HOFFMAN: -- instead of settling
5 for chump change, which you've done in all these
6 other cases, you're actually getting paid a
7 decent --

8 MR. WOOD: I've made more money in
9 the Ramsey case than you've made in your entire
10 career as a lawyer, you want to bet on that?"

Quotes from Gideon Epstein Deposition
(Wolf vs Ramsey) May 17, 2002

http://www.acandyrose.com/jonbenetindex.htm

I decided to look into that book LW threatened - it was published, there was no lawsuit, and all proceeds went/go to charity anyway - and found an interesting quote from the author about LW's legal strategy.
Wood sued [over Thomas's book]. St. Martins didn’t want to risk a large judgment and so they caved and settled. I’ve been told on good authority that Wood’s basic strategy is to find out a publisher’s insurance provision and then sue for a lesser amount so that a settlement becomes desirable. Of course, he then goes on TV and claims the settlement has vindicated his clients and “proves” their innocence.
1. Knowing he had been in contact with Tricia, I wonder if she is the "good authority" or someone else.
2. At least in this case, I doubt CBS's insurance provision is above $750 mil so I tend to go with the legal analyst who told Variety it seems like a ludicrous sum was chosen to get headlines. But I wonder if that really is his standard operating procedure.

I recommend the interview (which follows a review), he has quite a lot to say about LW and the Ramseys profiting off these lawsuits.
http://www.counterpunch.org/2003/11...review-of-walter-davis-s-cowboy-s-sweetheart/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

http://craigsilverman.podbean.com/

The Craig Silverman Show - Jan. 7, 2017 - Hr 2

Famed entertainment and defamation law attorney James Sammataro in CLL

@22mins

BR a limited purpose public figure,
BR subject to actual malice standard.
Michigan does not have a anti-slap statute,
(merit driven determination at the outset.)
Potential jurisdictional challenge,
'experts' may not be subject to jurisdiction in Michigan
a potential venue challenge
a forum non conveniens challenge
Ultimately defendants want to bring it to a state Cal or NY
which has a protective anti-slapp statute.

con't

CBS/LW, Cost benefit analysis,
CBS contemplated that the show would result in litigation,
CBS smart in the way they presented the show with making it very clear that these are not factual assertions,
experts postulating theories,
they go through multiple theories
and are careful with use of disclaimers
at both beginning and end,
not that the experts are reaching a definitive conclusion on anything
but they are piecing it together for the viewer to come
up with their own conclusion.
LW will make sure depositions are confidential and can't be used for any purpose outside litigation.

I could be totally off base here, but reading this made me wonder if this might be a way for them to get the grand jury records unsealed, or if it was anyone's intention...

United States v. Procter & Gamble Co., 356 US 677 (1958), permitted the disclosure of grand jury transcripts under certain restrictions: "a private party seeking to obtain grand jury transcripts must demonstrate that 'without the transcript a defense would be greatly prejudiced or that without reference to it an injustice would be done'" and must make its requests "with particularity"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_juries_in_the_United_States

Tortoise,
Everyone with email should Paste+Copy and send this to Spitz, let the guy know he can defend himself!

Something makes me think they already knew this.

Something makes me think they already knew this.

Tortoise,
Sure, but how much nicer is it when your email box is overflowing with love and support?

Like I say everyone should email Spitz encouraging him to defend his case v.s. BR.

If Burke Ramsey did have to take the stand I think he would probably just answer the questions in such a way as to insenuate that his mother might have committed this crime. But if asked if she did he would deny it like always.

I don't believe BR or LW have any intention of this suit ever going to court..and I don't think they even hold out much hope of getting a settlement. I think they filed this suit because in their mind (the collective mind of team Ramsey, that is), they had to file it... because that's what they think an innocent person (or innocent family, as the case may be) would do.

I recall one lawsuit, can't remember which one it was, that LW filed for libel, and when the respondent wouldn't back down, LW ended up dropping the suit and claiming they'd "reached a settlement", but whomever he was suing stated they never paid him so much as a penny. I have a feeling the same thing will happen here. LW will come out after a couple months and announced they've reached an settlement out of court.

I don't believe BR or LW have any intention of this suit ever going to court..and I don't think they even hold out much hope of getting a settlement. I think they filed this suit because in their mind (the collective mind of team Ramsey, that is), they had to file it... because that's what they think an innocent person (or innocent family, as the case may be) would do.

I recall one lawsuit, can't remember which one it was, that LW filed for libel, and when the respondent wouldn't back down, LW ended up dropping the suit and claiming they'd "reached a settlement", but whomever he was suing stated they never paid him so much as a penny. I have a feeling the same thing will happen here. LW will come out after a couple months and announced they've reached an settlement out of court.
Woody can't get away with lying about a settlement that didn't happen. He can certainly say he reached an "agreement" (as in his client agreed to drop the case) but claiming a monetary settlement when there wasn't one can easily be disproved.

If JBR was our sister and we were innocent. Than wouldn't we sue to?

Patsy, John, Burke - and Patsy and John on Burke's behalf have all sued various entities for defamation. Do you believe they are all innocent?

Woody can't get away with lying about a settlement that didn't happen. He can certainly say he reached an "agreement" (as in his client agreed to drop the case) but claiming a monetary settlement when there wasn't one can easily be disproved.

semantics... and I don't remember the exact wording, he may have said agreement, but even if he said settlement, disproving it doesn't matter when the only thing people remember is that the Ramseys sued any and everyone who've ever spoken or written their names.

Would I sue someone for having an opinion, even if it was an opinion I knew to not be factual? No.

The CBS panel never said they had proof he did anything. They didn't claim to be witnesses, they never claimed to have heard him confess anything. They conducted an investigation with the evidence available to them and formulated a theory based on said evidence. The only thing different in what they did and what we do here is theirs was on television.

The only way the special was bad for Burke is that it showed how unlikely his innocence appears when we pour out everything we have about this case.

If this does go forward, which I pray it does, I can't wait to see this man/child testify - smirking, laughing, smiling, etc. Keep in mind, he did his DP interview because the public still has so much interest in this "case". Never once did I hear how outraged he was in trying to find the killer of his little sister.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kaffro