Found Alive Burkina Faso (Africa) - Edith Blais, 34 & Luca Tacchetto, 30, Canada & Italy tourists, 15 Dec 2018

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
A Facebook group set up by friends and family of Ms Blais says the couple were heading to Ouagadougou to sell their car, but never made it to the Togo border crossing or applied for visas.

The Canadian government has a travel advisory warning against all travel in Burkina Faso along the Togo border because of threats of "banditry and terrorism".

Radio-Canada reported that the Canadian government is treating their disappearance as a kidnapping, although the kidnapping has not been confirmed.

Global Affairs Canada told the CBC it is treating Blais's case as "extremely high priority."

Tourists feared kidnapped in Burkina Faso

BBM

Please post a MSM- link for this staement “I recommended they visit this place even though its area is known to be popular with thieves and kidnappers looking for tourists, so it’s not surprising that they’re missing now!”

That was my paraphrased version of what the French man has told authorities, based on the information contained in the article you posted above. I’m sorry if that was unclear to you—and if paraphrasing is against TOS, mods, please let me know!

No news about the disappearance of Luca Tacchetto , the young Italian traveling to Burkina Faso , which has not been heard since mid-December. With him also the Canadian Eith Blais .
The couple was last seen in the town of Bobo-Dioulasso, in the South-Western area of the country, from where they intended to reach the capital Ouagadougou and then head towards Togo.

Luca's last contacts with his father, the former mayor of Vigonza Nunzio Tacchetto , date back to December 15th. Having no more news of his son, Tacchetto alerted the foreign ministry: "I'm not sure that the news has come out and I hope that we do not start with reconstructions that can only be based on fantasy and that could be harmful because we do not know anything", said the former mayor interviewed on the phone from "Padova oggi". "We trust the embassy and ministry, we are very worried because there are so many days that we do not hear it. I do not want to add anything else because there is nothing else to add ".

Concern and anxiety also in Canada , where Edith's family lives.

According to the minister "although there are no confirmations, the authorities are treating the case as if it were a seizure".

The "Corriere canadese" has also collected the testimony of Patrick Gagnon, a Quebec entrepreneur resident in Burkina Faso for seven years: "I went to the border with Togo, but I knew that they did not cross it and that they would be seen at Zimaré, about fifty kilometers from Ouagadougou, around 22 December. They may have crossed the border illegally, but it would be surprising. I asked a friend in that region to contact the army brigade commander, because it starts to be a bit of a risk zone. It is possible that Luca and Edith were kidnapped. It's all very strange, there was no bank transaction and it is not normal that the two boys have no signs of life to families during the holidays. We are facing an exceptional situation,
Tacco started from Vigonza: from France and Spain he had come to Africa. Morocco, Mauritania, Mali and Burkina Faso the stages of his journey with Edith who was supposed to end in Togo, where the two young men were going to help the "Zion'Gaia" non-profit organization to build a village.

BURKINA FASO: NESSUNA NOVITÀ SULLA SCOMPARSA DI LUCA TACCHETTO CON EDITH BLAIS/ IL CANADA TRATTA IL CASO COME UN SEQUESTRO

Burkina Faso. Scomparso Luca Tacchetto con Edith, la pista del sequestro

That was my paraphrased version of what the French man has told authorities, based on the information contained in the article you posted above. I’m sorry if that was unclear to you—and if paraphrasing is against TOS, mods, please let me know!

Quotation marks indicate a direct quote, not a paraphrase. This has nothing to do with me, it is common usage. The Frenchman is an important witness and there is no reason to suggest otherwise. If there is, please add a link to the source.

Quotation mark - Wikipedia

FIACCOLATA PER LUCA TACCHETTO, IL 30ENNE SCOMPARSO IN AFRICA

A spontaneous initiative born from the solidarity of an entire community that is gathered around the family of Luca Tacchetto, the young architect from Vigonza who mysteriously disappeared in Burkina Faso on December 15. Many wanted to show their solidarity and closeness in this difficult moment by participating in the torchlight procession and shortly before in a meeting of reflection and prayer in the small church of San Vito. In the meantime, the investigations continue in all directions. And all the possibilities about what may have happened to Luca and his travel companion from Canada remain open. The Canadian government appears to be oriented towards the hypothesis of kidnapping.

Meanwhile, the sighting of the two young people on December 22nd, about fifty kilometers from the capital of the African country, turned out to be false: this was a German couple.

BBM

Burkina Faso, il francese Robert: «Edith e Luca diretti in moschea Temo sia accaduto qualcosa di grave»

Burkina Faso: "Luca Tacchetto and Edith Blais were headed to the mosque: I'm afraid something serious happened."

Robert Guilloteau answers the phone, a little surprised that Italian journalists have managed to find him up to Bobo-Dioulasso, a city of half a million inhabitants in the south-west of Burkina Faso. He is the mystery man, the French citizen who last saw the Paduan architect Luca Tacchetto, 30, and his Canadian friend Edith Blais, 34, more than three weeks ago. This westerner transplanted in the heart of Africa is the last known contact of the two young people vanished into thin air in a country that the Farnesina [ Italian Dept. of Foreign Affairs ] advises against visiting because it is considered at risk, both for the presence of bandits and terrorist groups.

What is a Frenchman doing in Burkina Faso?

"I'm 64 years old, I'm from La Rochelle, in the Department of La Charente. I was a farmer in France and, when I retired ten years ago, I moved here and married a woman from Togo.

How did you hear about Luca Tacchetto and Edith Blais?

"I met them on the road from Mauritania through Mali to Burkina Faso. And I invited them to my and my wife's house on 15 December. That evening we ate, drank. And in the meantime they told me about their trip, about all the cities they had visited. I don't often spend time with such young people.

Then you were at the "Bois d'ébène", the place that appears in the last video that Luca sent to his father?

"That's right. After dinner at our house, the one in the photo, we went to the club to dance. We had a lot of fun, we had a party, a nice evening".

Then you said goodbye?

"Not immediately: after leaving the club we went back to sleep at my house. They left the following morning, it must have been 10.30 more or less.

A guide from Burkina claims that you would have advised Luca and Edith to visit a natural park, that of Sindou...

"That's not true, they weren't going to Sindou but to the mosque that is situated in Bobo-Dioulasso, not far from my house."

It is an ancient mosque, made of mud. The main attraction of the city.

"That's right. They told me that after visiting the mosque they would immediately head to Ouagadougou, the capital. They had to go to the immigration office because their visa lasted only three days and they needed to make a valid visa for Togo and Benin, so they needed to spend a little less."

So since 10.30 a.m. on that 16th December you haven't heard from them?

"I haven't heard from them since.

Have you spoken to the investigators?

"Certainly: with the police, Interpol, the men of the Italian embassy... The only ones who have not yet made themselves heard are the Canadian authorities. By now, the newspapers and television stations here talk about the case, but to understand what happened to those two people, further investigations need to be carried out".

An idea must have been made about what might have happened to two western tourists...

"I don't know. Here the situation is serious almost everywhere, as far as the terrorism alert is concerned, especially in the north of Burkina Faso. The local media are suggesting kidnapping but the only thing certain is that three weeks is a very long time to give no signal.

What do you mean by that?

"I am worried. I'm afraid something very serious has happened to this couple."

BBM

Amazing mud mosque of Bobo-Dioulasso, picture Wikipedia
I would want to see that if I was in the area! Strangely enough it does remind one of the peaks of Sindou, doesn't it, but that must be an odd coincidence.

The mosque is located in the middle of the town. What could possibly have happened to them there and with their car, at 10.30 hrs in the morning? IMHO that isn't too likely. But, given that they did not go to Sindou and were heading to Ouagadougou and pressed for time, a robbery instead of a kidnapping becomes a distinct possibility. Not looking good, not at all.

1280px-Moschee_von_Bobo-Dioulasso.jpg

Innocents abroad: Why do so many Canadians still ignore travel warnings?

Former consular chief says few Canadians heed warnings when venturing off the beaten path

When Sherbrooke, Que., resident Edith Blais set out on her last known journey in Burkina Faso, she and her Italian companion Luca Tacchetto would have been travelling through one of the few parts of the country that was not covered by a high-alert Canadian travel advisory.

Leaving the city of Bobo-Dioulasso in the country's west, the two faced a 361-kilometre drive to the nation's capital Ouagadougou on the paved two-lane N1 toll road — the country's best.

The start and end points for the journey and all the land along the way fall under Canada's general travel advisory for Burkina Faso, which recommends Canadians "avoid all unnecessary travel" — the second-highest level for such advisories.

But the N1 route skirts an area that lies within 80 km of Burkina Faso's long border with Mali — all of which is under Canada's most restrictive level of travel advisory: "avoid all travel."

Roadblocks, carjacking and gunplay
"Canada's travel advisory for Burkina Faso is about as explicit as you can make these things," said Gar Pardy, a former director-general of consular affairs who also served as ambassador to multiple countries. "It's a very troubled country."

Since the killing of six Quebecers in Ouagadougou in 2016, the country once known as Upper Volta has been seen as a place where jihadists can strike anywhere at any time.

Blais and Tacchetto do not seem to have followed those warnings. They had arrived in Burkina Faso from Mali — a country flagged "avoid all travel" on the GAC website — and would have also crossed through the Burkinabe red zone on their way to Bobo-Dioulasso, where Blais made her last call home on December 15.

After reaching Ouagadougou, the next stage of their journey would have seen them head to a reforestation project in Togo, which is considered safer by GAC. But getting there overland would have required a journey through another red zone in southern Burkina Faso. ("Avoid all travel to 40 km within borders of Benin and Togo due to the threat of banditry and terrorism.")

Global Affairs doesn't mince words about the perils of travelling by vehicle in Burkina Faso: "Incidents of illegal roadblocks and carjacking have occurred. Armed criminals don't hesitate to shoot at vehicles to stop and rob their occupants …. Such incidents can happen …. day or night, on both main and secondary roads."

Different ransom policies
International Development Minister Marie-Claude Bibeau is also the Blais family's MP. Her office told CBC News Canada is treating the case as a potential kidnapping. But no ransom demand has been made public, nor has any claim of responsibility.

If it is a kidnapping, the citizenships of the two abductees may complicate matters.

Al-Qaeda and its affiliates are thought to have collected tens of millions of dollars in ransoms from European governments — including the 12 million euro Italy is believed to have paid jihadist group Jabhat al-Nusra to liberate aid workers Vanessa Marzullo and Greta Ramelli after they were seized in Aleppo, Syria.

The Trudeau government, on the other hand, has been vocal about its no-ransom policy and has tried to get other countries to sign on.

"There's nothing wrong with the policy per se, but you don't want to stand up and call attention to it in the middle of a kidnapping incident. Last time we did that was a disaster," said Pardy, referring to the kidnapping and murder of two Canadians by a Filipino jihadist group.

In practice, Pardy said, the no-ransom policy doesn't necessarily mean no money ever changes hands.

"The money might come from the victim's employer, from insurance, from family, from various sources, and the Canadian government can facilitate that," he said.

Calgary philanthropist Allan Markin anonymously donated $750,000 to help secure the release of Amanda Lindhout from Somali kidnappers in 2009.

But a senior government official speaking to CBC News on condition of anonymity said the Trudeau government's policy on ransoms is "ironclad" and precludes taking any part in negotiations over payouts to kidnappers — even with privately held funds — because that would undermine the message that there is nothing to be gained from kidnapping Canadians.

The official added that Canada is co-ordinating its efforts in the Blais case with the government of Italy.

Jihadist attacks, ethnic tensions worsening
The year 2019 has already seen one massacre as a result of tensions between settled farmers and nomadic pastoralists in Burkina Faso.

Last week, 46 members of the Mossi ethnic group died in a raid on their village. Mossi fighters killed seven Fulani herders in retaliation the following day, said a spokesperson for the Burkina Faso government.

Those events came just hours after Burkina Faso declared a state of emergency following the killings of ten gendarmes by jihadists in the country's north.

Right across the central Sahel region that includes much of Burkina Faso, Niger, Mali and Chad, settled farmers often accuse Tuareg and Fulani nomadic herders of supporting jihadist groups such as al-Qaeda in the Islamic Maghreb, which kidnapped Canadian Robert Fowler when he served as UN special envoy to Mali.

Like Nigeria's Boko Haram — which means "Western learning is forbidden" in local patois — the jihadist groups in Burkina Faso have targeted schools and teachers in an effort to end secular education in the country.

I do not think I will EVER understand why people ignore travel warnings. We have an entire planet to travel. Why do you guys think travel warnings are ignored? We hear of this often. I just don’t understand the thinking behind it. What could’ve possibly led to them ignoring that? jmo

I do not think I will EVER understand why people ignore travel warnings. We have an entire planet to travel. Why do you guys think travel warnings are ignored? We hear of this often. I just don’t understand the thinking behind it. What could’ve possibly led to them ignoring that? jmo

I have the same thoughts and questions but hesitated to voice them. I don't understand the allure of travelling through these countries.

Burkina Faso : des chasseurs traditionnels "Dozo" mettent en déroute des individus suspects armés dans le sud-ouest du pays

Traditional hunters commonly known as "Dozo" disbanded on Monday a dozen unidentified armed individuals in a forest in the village of Trimbio, in southwestern Burkina Faso, the Ministry of Security announced on Tuesday.

According to a statement from the Ministry of Security, on Monday at around 17:00 local time, six to eight armed suspects were caught in a forest in the village of Trimbio, in the municipality of Loropéni (Poni province, southwest region) by the inhabitants of the village.

The village's Dozo exchanged several shots with these suspected individuals armed with Kalashnikov, who eventually took off.

In their flight, the statement continued, the suspects abandoned 2 Kalashnikovs, 7 magazines, 227 Kalashnikov ammunition, 2 rifle covers, 2 motorcycles and several other items on the battlefield.

"In view of the security situation in our country, the Minister of Security would like to commend this local security initiative of the Dozo de Trimbio for their commitment and determination in defeating these armed suspects who might have carried out their macabre plan," the statement said.

Since 2015, more than 270 military and civilians have been killed in attacks that have also resulted in the closure of more than 600 schools this year, particularly in exposed areas.

A 34-year-old Canadian Edith Blais and her partner Luca Tacchetto, a 30-year-old Italian, were reported missing while in western Burkina Faso, reported the Burkinabe press, citing the Canadian media.

The security authorities of Burkina Faso have not yet commented on this disappearance. Burkinabe President Roch Marc Christian Kaboré declared a state of emergency on 1 January in several regions of the country, which are suffering from terrorist attacks.

On New Year's Eve, at least 48 people were killed in reprisals against the Peule community following a terrorist attack in Yirgou in north-central Burkina Faso.

According to the Collective Against Impunity and Stigmatization of Communities, which called on Saturday for a protest march in Ouagadougou and Dori (north), violence against the Peule community has displaced some 1,300 people.

BBM

Luca was headed to Togo to volunteer his time and talents to help build a village, and I presume Edith wanted to accompany him on that mission. While I am sure they had many amazing travels along the way, I think Luca's aim was a humanitarian one. It only makes it more sad that they may be victims of the very strife and instability he is seeking to help heal and improve.

https://www.facebook.com/edith.blais.79?ref=br_rs
Edith Blais et Luca Tacchetto : disparition au Burkina Faso

This is very frustrating! Two reporters of the Italian newspaper Il Mattino di Padova have interviewed Frenchman Robert Guilloteau and they call him a mystery man.
I assume that this interview happened by phone, and that French is not their first language. Unfortunately, their report is subscription only. Nowhere I see the option to pay for the report only, or even as day-pass, and my efforts for the good cause do not include subscriptions, because price apart, they are very hard to get rid of.
I tried to check with other news outlets, and I found only one with a vague reference to the same subjects and IMHO if their report is based on that from Il Mattino, they have read no more than the same snippet of text that is available on the internet.

From the small part that I can read, I can deduct nothing mysterious for the time being. Luca and Edith had run out of money, Robert lend them 15 euros, they went to an ATM together with Robert and took out money. That would have been 500 euros, which is a lot of money even by European standards.

Luca ed Edith, la versione e le contraddizioni del francese

Luca and Edith, the version and the contradictions of the Frenchman

Interview with Robert Guilloteau, the last host of the two young people before their disappearance. "They had run out of money, I gave them 15 euros. Here you never should show the money in your pocket. But they took out 500 euros."

The advice to visit the mosque where Luca and Edith never arrived, the tips to sell the car that he now denies, the phone number (yes I have it, or rather we do) a loan of money and him accompanying them to the ATM. Everything that Robert Guilloteau says and does not say between changes and sudden reversals. This is how the sixty year old Frenchman transplanted to Bobo-Dioulasso became a mysteryman.

BBM

And that is where the music stops unless you take a paid subscription.

Rete Veneta News has the following report and it is less sensational:

LUCA E EDITH, SI INDAGA SUGLI ULTIMI SPOSTAMENTI

LUCA AND EDITH, THEIR LAST MOVEMENTS ARE BEING INVESTIGATED

The disappearance of Luca Tacchetto and Edith Blais, the two young people who left for Africa and who have not been reported since mid-December, continues to be investigated on several fronts and by several offices. At the moment the priority is to find reliable witnesses who have seen them, and verify their story. The offices that, more or less in the shadows, with noise or in silence, follow the story are those of the ministries in Italy, Canada and Burkina Faso, the last country where the two would have passed through. And so here are rumors about possible ATM withdrawals, about the details of the day spent with a couple living there, he French, she local, and the visit to a mosque, which is not clear whether or not it happened. The Italian Foreign Ministry, as always in these cases, keeps every detail confidential, and then there are the families, who seek information through direct contacts. Kidnapping, arrest, inability to call, all the avenues are open for those who are investigating. Or, perhaps, that's what they let out to hide the real situation, and thus be able to proceed without hassle. One thing is certain: the drama that families are experiencing, between rumors, news, hypotheses and denials.

BBM

IMHO checking ATM withdrawals including the amounts is probably the easiest part of this investigation.

I was able to find a bit more of the text from the Il Mattino article ZaZara referenced above (so this excerpt starts after the sentence ending in “mystery man”):

“Luca Tacchetto, the thirty-year-old architect who disappeared in Burkina Faso on December 15th with his Canadian friend Edith Blais, left a trace [behind]. It is the last message sent to the mother, in the late afternoon of that Saturday, December 15, before disappearing among the mysteries of Africa. From that message sent by Whatsapp you can certainly understand three things: Luca was sensitive to the charisma of the Frenchman, the Frenchman changed the route, and then also gave him information on how and where to sell the car. Robert Guilloteau tells of having personally accompanied them to pick up [money] at the ATM. In fact, there are two withdrawals of 250 euros each but the movements are [December] 12th and not December 8th. Marginal note: € 500 a month is the average salary of a rich man living in Burkina Faso, while the poor, the majority, live with around € 48 per month.”

Also, when I Google Translated the Il Mattino passage quoted by ZaZara, the comment about the phone number read a bit differently than rendered above; apparently RG initially said he had Luca’s phone number, but then claimed he did not have it.

This flip-flop on a seemingly trivial issue seems shady as hell to me, as does RG’s alleged recommendation that Luca and Edith withdraw what would have been, in that area, an obscene amount of cash. This makes me wonder if RG had any incentive to recommend this large withdrawal, such as being guaranteed a “cut” (which I’m putting in quotation marks because it’s a colloquial term, NOT a direct quote ;)) of the proceeds from a preplanned robbery? For a guy who seems to be a bit miffed at those who perceive him as “mysterious,” he’s not doing much to fight that appearance by flip-flopping on details or admitting to making unsafe (or at least unwise) travel recommendations to LT/EB...

MOO

Last edited:
Disappearance of Canadian in Africa highlights risk of ignoring travel warnings
"Loubani said in an interview he doesn't know either of the missing people. “But I would be very surprised if (Blais) told her mom: 'Hey, I'm going to Togo, and I haven't looked it up, and I don't know anything about it.' She probably thought about it and calculated the risks.”

Young people from prosperous western countries should consider humanitarian work around the world, Loubani said, as long as they understand the risks. “I think my advice to young people who are thinking of working in dangerous places is: The world needs you. Only you will change the situation that exists in other parts of the world - in collaboration with locals and supporting local struggles.”

Chris Mathers, a former RCMP officer whose company provides training to federal government agencies on analyzing security risks while abroad, said Ottawa issues travel warnings for a reason. Travellers to countries under serious warnings need to be constantly vigilant about whether they are being watched by corrupt police and military or by kidnappers looking for ransom.

If Blais and Tacchetto wanted to travel to Togo - a relatively safe place on the continent - they should have flown into the country and made prior contact with people they trusted to take care of them. A road trip through Mauritania, Mali and Burkina Faso was not smart, he said in an interview.

“When I say they are foolish, I am being polite,” Mathers said. “I've been to Mali. There is no rule of law - nothing. If I don't like you, I shoot you. These places are lawless.”

A road trip through Mauritania, Mali and Burkina Faso was not smart, he said in an interview.

“When I say they are foolish, I am being polite,” Mathers said. “I've been to Mali. There is no rule of law - nothing. If I don't like you, I shoot you. These places are lawless.”

Why do some Westerners choose to live there then I wonder?

Why do some Westerners choose to live there then I wonder?

Good question! Interestingly, I found a 2013 article from a French publication about tourism in that region; it quotes Robert Guilloteau describing his life in Africa. The article is here: {{rubedo.current.page.title}}

An excerpt from that article: “In Burkina, the convoy found Robert Guilloteau, a Thénezéen married to a Togolese and who decided to live in Africa. "I had plenty of people to find there, explains the adventurer in Athens, including a computer scientist from Ouagadougou I met online". He adds: "With Africans, all encounters are strong, people live in the greatest simplicity. We are facing the sky, the people, the forest. Six men arrive on one motorcycle. They killed an antelope. We're going to eat a haunch, it's like that. It's another world. On the road, there are technical problems, but some sort of mechanical wizards can fix everything with nothing. "

So he’s been around the region long enough to know the lay of the land, so to speak, and I therefore wonder (again) why he would recommend to LT/EB any actions (making large cash withdrawals from the ATM or taking a reputedly-unsafe route to their next destination) that potentially could’ve gotten them in trouble...

MOO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Amakur
Back