CA - ‘Uncharted territory’ as Lake Oroville rises toward damaged dam

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
My mom lives about 2 hours East of oroville, on Cali/Nv border. She lives alone in a 5 bedroom home. But not anymore. At this time she has taken in 3 families from Oroville area.

Her next door neighbors are from there and have a lot of friends and relatives needing someplace to stay until the storms go away. My mom is happy to give them a place for now. Although, being 87, and set in her ways, she is feeling a bit annoyed, lol...

My mom lives about 2 hours East of oroville, on Cali/Nv border. She lives alone in a 5 bedroom home. But not anymore. At this time she has taken in 3 families from Oroville area.

Her next door neighbors are from there and have a lot of friends and relatives needing someplace to stay until the storms go away. My mom is happy to give them a place for now. Although, being 87, and set in her ways, she is feeling a bit annoyed, lol...

That's awesome! Love to hear these kind of stories.

Thank you for this. I went to UNT, which is in Denton, just north of Lewisville. I remember the story of the issue with the dam there but it's not big news here that I've heard. I still have all my family in the DFW area.

Another article said it would take only 7 hours to flood Yuba City and Marysville, only 30 miles away.

‘Mass chaos’ of Oroville evacuation prompts worry over exit strategy
ttp://www.sacbee.com/news/local/transportation/back-seat-driver/article133485154.html

But Jon Clark, executive director of the Butte County Association of Governments, said the incident highlights a bad situation on Highway 70, the main state route in the valley below the dam. Much of the Highway 70 corridor has been expanded over decades into a modern highway. But the 21-mile section between Oroville and Marysville remains an undersized and dangerous two-lane road. On Sunday night, it got jammed.
“Butte County is the biggest county in the state not served by a (continuous) four-lane highway, and that is ridiculous,” Clark said. He plans to travel to Washington, D.C. in March to make a pitch for $320 million in funds to widen 70.

“We need this road fixed,” he said. “That spillway came close to failing. It would have been a real disaster for people stuck on that highway if it had flooded.”

I am not sure why CA of all states, needs 320 million from D.C . Va had to sell its stake in 1-95 to a private company .

Orville radar
BBX_loop.gif

Another article said it would take only 7 hours to flood Yuba City and Marysville, only 30 miles away.

‘Mass chaos’ of Oroville evacuation prompts worry over exit strategy
ttp://www.sacbee.com/news/local/transportation/back-seat-driver/article133485154.html

But Jon Clark, executive director of the Butte County Association of Governments, said the incident highlights a bad situation on Highway 70, the main state route in the valley below the dam. Much of the Highway 70 corridor has been expanded over decades into a modern highway. But the 21-mile section between Oroville and Marysville remains an undersized and dangerous two-lane road. On Sunday night, it got jammed.
“Butte County is the biggest county in the state not served by a (continuous) four-lane highway, and that is ridiculous,” Clark said. He plans to travel to Washington, D.C. in March to make a pitch for $320 million in funds to widen 70.

“We need this road fixed,” he said. “That spillway came close to failing. It would have been a real disaster for people stuck on that highway if it had flooded.”
I remember when Houston evacuated ahead of Hurricane Ike. My SIL sat in traffic on I-10 for 10 hours with 4 kids and finally turned around and went back home. My mom was living in Galveston and came to stay with me. Austin was full up! The same thing happened during I think it was Charlie? Gas stations on I-45 ran out of fuel... no traffic movement along evacuation routes... It can go south rather quickly.

God love her, that's a lot of people for one person to take in! Hope they do nice things for her in return. Maybe she can make a list of little things she needs help with. ;)

Sent from my LG-H740 using Tapatalk

That is wild.

With the road being so close to the hole I can just imagine all the beer bottles and other stuff that people have thrown down the hole.

Probably lots of coins too with people using it as a wishing well. LOL

Dams and their designs are fascinating and serve lots of valuable purposes.

Flood control
Generating electricity
Creating man made lakes for recreation purposes like boating and fishing

And maybe one of the most important purposes is to create water reservoirs for drinking water for places that need that

Its ironic that getting too much rain and water can cause so much problems on a dam that is designed to serve such good purposes.

I remember when Houston evacuated ahead of Hurricane Ike. My SIL sat in traffic on I-10 for 10 hours with 4 kids and finally turned around and went back home. My mom was living in Galveston and came to stay with me. Austin was full up! The same thing happened during I think it was Charlie? Gas stations on I-45 ran out of fuel... no traffic movement along evacuation routes... It can go south rather quickly.

For people that have never been in a real traffic disaster like that it is hard for some to imagine what it is like. I get it because I had a small taste of it when leaving the Outer Banks in the Carolinas.

We had to cut our long weekend short because of severe storms and it basically washed out our weekend anyway so we left a day early on a Saturday instead of Sunday thinking we would beat most of the traffic out of there.

To head North from Cape Hatteras in the Outer Banks there is basically only one road and only one way to head north all the way to Washington DC area. Everyone basically heads the same way on the same roads. So all the people on the beaches that were vacationing were all leaving and we all ended up on the same roads.

Luckily for us we creeped along. But it was painfully slow and many times we came to a full stop on the highway. It ended up taking 14 hours to get where we were headed in what should have been an 8 hour drive.

If there had been a real emergency like a hurricane I am convinced it would have been ten times worse.

In the early 1980s Mammoth CA, a small town in the Eastern Sierra had a series of earthquakes. There was only one way out of the town and in the winter it can get really crowded with skiers from Southern California, so another road was built and named Mammoth Escape Route. The Chamber of Commerce wasn't too happy with the name so it was later changed to Mammoth Scenic Loop. They haven't had to use it so far, but at least it's there.

Changes to spillway - has anyone heard anything about this on news---IMO that is significant no - everything i is changing forces?

what is going on a bit higher than this resulting in basically no water going all the way down??/

clearly looks now, like there is new erosion - closer up shoot , that cant be good - its higher up then??

[video=youtube;EqBuxWpScjs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqBuxWpScjs[/video]

race against the clock in Orinda, where a mudslide is putting power lines in danger.

http://abc7news.com/weather/crews-race-against-storm-to-save-power-lines-from-orinda-mudslide/1762829/

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/weather...-gear-yet-another-drenching-rainstorm-n723186

The area likely to take the worst hit is central California, between Sacramento and San Francisco, Kevin Roth, a senior meteorologist with The Weather Channel told NBC NEWS.

snip

The worst of the storm, which could dump 2 to 4 inches of rain on an already-sodden landscape, should swirl into the state sometime after 3 p.m. local time on Monday, Roth said.

The forces the water imposed on the 50-year-old structure were enormous, far greater than those of a big rig truck pounding a highway. The dead weight of the water alone was more than 5 tons per square foot, and as it poured down the spillway its undulating motion exerted even more force on the concrete, Bea said.

Inspection reports show that trees had been growing next to the spillway, which could have damaged the ground that supported the heavy structure. When they were removed, they left bare ground adjacent to the spillway, a weak point, Bea said. Recent photos show that trees continue to line the area of the damage, which undercut the spillway’s vertical wall. I do not understand this was not a breaking news event?? It has to slowly creep upwards dont ya think?

raises the possibility that the spillway was undermined by water running downhill outside the spillway, which eroded rock and soil that supports the structure. Any previous damage by the tree roots could have allowed the runoff to more easily wash away rock and soil

Dam spillways have a long history of problems with cavitation. The spillways at Hoover Dam have been used twice, and both times they sustained heavy damage, similar to what happened at Oroville. Cavitation caused concrete to fail and resulted in scouring of the surrounding rock. Glen Canyon Dam, also on the Colorado River, sustained massive damage in 1983 when its underground spillways were put to use. Dams in Pakistan and Brazil have also proved the potential for cavitation to damage spillways.

http://www.latimes.com/local/california/la-me-ln-oroville-spillway-damage-20170220-story.html

race against the clock in Orinda, where a mudslide is putting power lines in danger.

http://abc7news.com/weather/crews-race-against-storm-to-save-power-lines-from-orinda-mudslide/1762829/

A property owner spotted that slide problem in the video at end of January and engineers have been "working" on what to do with it since then.

Its kind of funny how with all the new rain is causing possible mudslides that this area now has a lot of action all of a sudden.

We hate to think that the electric company just sat around and didnt address this issue till now. But it sure is funny how they can get resources on the problem when they want to.

The scary part is this looks to be a major electric transmission line and it looks very serious and not sure how they are going to fix this. Putting a new pole in another area and re-routing the wires seems to be the only solution but the problem with that is the whole mountain there looks like it could have a slide.

Its probably why nothing was done before now. There may not be a lot of good options here. If that line goes and they have to stop transmitting electricity through it the official said it should not affect customers because they have other lines but it sure seems like some people would be affected since those are really major transmission lines.

I do wish the electric company good luck in trying to fix this. Looks to be a major issue.

http://abc7news.com/weather/crews-r...ave-power-lines-from-orinda-mudslide/1762829/

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smash5070
Back